2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

9 hours ago, pops said:

Barrett-jackson is that week as well. (Usually)  good distraction if you get sick of watching golf with the aroma of piss and vomit in the air. 

Yeah, there are typically a bunch of them at the same time as Barrett Jackson, but unfortunately, they are all about 2 weeks before I'll be there. 

So, I am not a great golfer (15 handicap) and always trying to get a little better with anything other than practicing.  I just bought a pair of those Sqairz shoes.  The ones Nick Faldo hawks.  Anybody try these yet?  I will be breaking them in this weekend hopefully and maybe they will help my balance and stability when swinging.  Most likely they are a gimmick but they are comfortable so far walking around my house.

I wear them when having sex, it gives me excellent traction and more depth when thrusting…

A buddy and I are headed to Augusta for the Monday practice round this year and are going take a couple of days to play some golf on the drive back to Texas. Our drive is going to take us straight down I-20. Ross Bridge in Hoover looks intriguing, but thought I'd see if you gents have any other recommendations. 

10 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I wear them when having sex, it gives me excellent traction and more depth when thrusting…

I don't know about that but I shot my best couple of rounds in a while (a 90 and then a 86) wearing these Sqairz shoes.  If I could hit a 4 foot putt those scores would have bee about 5 strokes better.  They help me with the pivot of my back foot on to the toe for some reason as I am usually really bad with staying back on my right side, also lining up my shots and the stability on the ground.  Then again it probably has nothing to do with the shoes and I will go out and shoot 100 next round.

14 hours ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

A buddy and I are headed to Augusta for the Monday practice round this year and are going take a couple of days to play some golf on the drive back to Texas. Our drive is going to take us straight down I-20. Ross Bridge in Hoover looks intriguing, but thought I'd see if you gents have any other recommendations. 

I played Ross Bridge in March. Fantastic course.

on the topic of supply chain/no inventory, etc..., i decided to do a total bag revamp.  upgrading old rogues to new apex irons, full refresh on wedges to sm8's, new putter, and a new driver.

sim2, putter, and wedges no problem.  easily located in person in austin.  but the irons are completely non-existent as discussed above.  so i go on callaway's site on sunday night and order the apexes with the customization i wanted on shaft length extension and stiffness.  says 6 weeks which is kind of what i expected.

they were at my door on tuesday.

wtf.

Thinking about doing an Ireland trip with some buddies in May. Route we have mapped right now.

Day 1. Fly

Day 2. Portmarnock, drive and stay in Lahinch

Day 3: Lahinch, drive to Ballybunion

Day 4: Ballybunion, Drive to Waterville

Day 5. Waterville, drive to Kinsale

Day 6: Old Head, drive to Killarney 

Day 7: Tralee and Dooks, 

Day 8: Travel

Seems like a pretty sweet trip/route. Wish we could squeeze in Royal County Down or Royal Portrush. Anyone played any of these? Suggestions?

On 10/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, ocugolf said:

Thinking about doing an Ireland trip with some buddies in May. Route we have mapped right now.

Day 1. Fly

Seems like a pretty sweet trip/route. Wish we could squeeze in Royal County Down or Royal Portrush. Anyone played any of these? Suggestions?

Lahinch was my favorite.  Waterville is cool with a statue of P Stewart.  Old Head is breathtaking.  I really liked Tralee and Dooks has the best logo.  We flew in and out of Cork.  One of the best trips I've ever taken

• Like 1

I’m probably unique in this regard, but I hate a long drive after a round of golf. I’m not sure how long your drives will be between locations but that sounds like a lot of driving. I do understand the desire to play as many of the famous and great course on one trip as you can.

I’m probably unique in this regard, but I hate a long drive after a round of golf. I’m not sure how long your drives will be between locations but that sounds like a lot of driving. I do understand the desire to play as many of the famous and great course on one trip as you can.

It’s only an hour or so after each round iirc. And it’s not like you’re on i45. You are driving in a beautiful country usually laughing at some Irish dudes stories.

14 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Rankings were of Southern Ireland only. Back to PV in a couple of weeks!

The guys from the No Laying Up podcast did a video of Dooks. Initially, I just thought we had it just to play another round. The video made me excited for it. Looks pretty laid back. 

As for the driving, we have a driver and bus taking us around. So, I don’t think it will be too bad. 

i just got back from PV. Place is out of this world. 

Day 1. Fly

Look into flying into Shannon. Thats where we always fly into and it gets yku straight to SW Ireland. 

Day 1. Fly

I'll ask huge senior.  He has done 11 Ireland trips I think.

Thanks. We are thinking of playing County Louth the day we land. May be a little optimistic. 

Here was his response

Questions/comments on Ireland itinerary
I assume with this very full itinerary you will hire a van/minibus with driver?
With Portmarnock as round 1 you must be planning to fly into Dublin and go straight to the course. You will then have a three hour drive across the Republic to Lahinch.
Portmarnock, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Tralee, and Waterville are outstanding. Dooks is a fun little lesser course. Old Head is a mediocre course on a spectacular piece of land. Most Americans love it, but it is only ranked 16th in Ireland, and once is enough I think.
One option if you want to stay in fewer hotels is on Day 4 after play at Ballybunion drive to Killarney and check into a hotel. Then do day trip on Day 5 out and back to Waterville. Then on Day 6 do day trip out and back to Old Head. Then Day 7 do out and back to play Dooks and Tralee. Day 8 leave Killarney hotel at 7:30 or 8:00am for Shannon airport for 12:30pm flight back to Newark.

Added note…….if you get a bus with driver I’m sure he will know after play at Ballybunion on Day 4 to take the ferry from Killimer to Tarbert across the Shannon estuary.
I can provide hotel recommendations if you’d like.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, huge said:

Here was his response

With Portmarnock as round 1 you must be planning to fly into Dublin and go straight to the course. You will then have a three hour drive across the Republic to Lahinch.
Portmarnock, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Tralee, and Waterville are outstanding. Dooks is a fun little lesser course. Old Head is a mediocre course on a spectacular piece of land. Most Americans love it, but it is only ranked 16th in Ireland, and once is enough I think.
One option if you want to stay in fewer hotels is on Day 4 after play at Ballybunion drive to Killarney and check into a hotel. Then do day trip on Day 5 out and back to Waterville. Then on Day 6 do day trip out and back to Old Head. Then Day 7 do out and back to play Dooks and Tralee. Day 8 leave Killarney hotel at 7:30 or 8:00am for Shannon airport for 12:30pm flight back to Newark.

Added note…….if you get a bus with driver I’m sure he will know after play at Ballybunion on Day 4 to take the ferry from Killimer to Tarbert across the Shannon estuary.

Thank you! We definitely have a van and driver so we can relax as much as possible in between rounds. His sentiments on the golf courses echo pretty much everything I’ve read. Pretty excited to go. 

13 hours ago, huge said:

Here was his response

Would you ask if he has any recommendations on other places to play that are closeish to our route if we can squeeze them in?

Here go you:

First, a correction to the info in yesterday’s email – the recommendation regarding the ferry across the Shannon will be on Day 3 – the drive from Lahinch to Ballybunion.

Regarding additional courses:

In the Dublin area, best other courses are County Louth (Baltray) which is about an hour north of Portmarnock and The European Club which is about 90 minutes south, so playing either might add a day to the trip.  Would not substitute either for Portmarnock.

On the drive south from Lahinch is Doonbeg, great course designed by Greg Norman and now owned by Trump. They used to require that you stay in their very expensive lodging in order to play the course – not sure if that is still the case.

In the southwest, there is a new course in Waterville area – Hogs Head – that I have heard is very good but have not seen it.

The course at Adare Manor Castle (fairly close to Shannon airport)  was redone by Tom Fazio several years ago and I understand it is superb but I have not seen it.  Would not sub it for any of the other courses.  It is a “parkland” course, not a links course.

Most of the other top courses are in the northwest (Carne, Sligo) or in Northern Ireland (County Down and Portrush)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Throwing this out, looking for some help. I am trying to find a tailor made M2 approach wedge. Anyone know where I can get my hands on one? I have called all San Antonio retailers which no luck. 

Auto correct fail

Taylormade m2 approach wedge.

14 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Checking in here. Been playing golf for 30 years (much, much more frequently recently) and finally got my first ace.  I’m a 13.5 mainly due to me sucking at driving but on this particular hole, hit an 8 iron 159 with wind hurting and left to right. Bounced once and trickled toward the hole and then disappeared.  Apparently I threw my 8 iron about 80 ft after that during the celebration. Super cool and hope everyone gets to experience that feeling. 

Congrats.  Holed out from the fairway a few times, but never had the pleasure of putting a 1 on the scorecard.

So I hadn't broken 80 my last three times out, only been to the range four times this month, and those sessions were getting progressively shittier. I went out today with very low expectations, compounded by a tough course, wind blowing and greens running at 13. But I found my swing on the range warming up.

Then I reeled off a stretch of holes that I will never duplicate. Hit it inside a foot on nos. 7 and 8, 4 feet on no. 9, 3 feet on no. 10, and 3 feet on no. 11. Every one of those shots was between 130-180 yards. I missed the 3 footer on no. 10, but converted the rest for four birdies in five holes. That stretch made the three straight 8-10 footers I left myself on 15-17 (from 220, 155, and 150 out of a bunker) seem pedestrian, probably because I missed all of those putts. Then bogeyed 18 to shoot even par, which is still my personal best from the II tees, so I wasn't too pissed.

Bless my mother and wife for watching the kids all day while I played with my dad. I tried to use the "I'm on a heater" argument to secure another pass to play tomorrow, but I guess they don't see things the same way I do.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:36 PM, Steel Shank said:

I have a pair of Foot Joy Classics I'd like to get resoled. I know FJ uses LaRossa Shoe Repair as their recommended partner but just wondered if anybody had any other suggested options. Austin.

Larossa is the only choice for classics imo. I've had several pairs of classics refurbished by them and their work is truly amazing. Takes a bit of turnaround time but they are the answer to your question. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Larossa is the only choice for classics imo. I've had several pairs of classics refurbished by them and their work is truly amazing. Takes a bit of turnaround time but they are the answer to your question. 

Thanks. Starting to feel they are the best option. Will post some pics when I get them back.

Just bought a set of used set of Ping S59 irons (3_w). Been playing Wilson Staff blades since they were last made (maybe 25 years which still included a 2i). They felt absolutely great....except for the grips. I hate the "wrap" grips and have never liked them. So when I cut them off to replace the grips I discovered something about Ping clubs. The only clubs they cut at the tip are the 3 and 4 irons. The rest of the set is cut at the butt end one half inch short and then they insert the butt end of another club to get it back to standard length. Not a problem since I hit them very consistently when I test drove them on the range. Just interesting that they do that. But I guess it makes sense so as to leave the kick point and flex point the same throughout the set. I've shafted sets of clubs over the years and never done that except for the last 2 or 3 clubs in the set because a lot of people have preferred more flex in their shorter irons since they don't swing as hard.

Edited by Longhornstampede

On 11/28/2021 at 1:39 AM, Longhornstampede said:

Just bought a set of used set of Ping S59 irons (3_w). Been playing Wilson Staff blades since they were last made (maybe 25 years which still included a 2i). They felt absolutely great....except for the grips. I hate the "wrap" grips and have never liked them. So when I cut them off to replace the grips I discovered something about Ping clubs. The only clubs they cut at the tip are the 3 and 4 irons. The rest of the set is cut at the butt end one half inch short and then they insert the butt end of another club to get it back to standard length. Not a problem since I hit them very consistently when I test drove them on the range. Just interesting that they do that. But I guess it makes sense so as to leave the kick point and flex point the same throughout the set. I've shafted sets of clubs over the years and never done that except for the last 2 or 3 clubs in the set because a lot of people have preferred more flex in their shorter irons since they don't swing as hard.

Could be they were made short for the initial owner and then the next guy extended them. I've had at least 10 sets of ping irons over the past 25 years and I've never seen extensions from the factory. I'll bet since 2006 or 7 or whenever those came out they've had some work done to them. 

I still have a set of 59s. One of the best sets they ever made imo. Enjoy them!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Could be they were made short for the initial owner and then the next guy extended them. I've had at least 10 sets of ping irons over the past 25 years and I've never seen extensions from the factory. I'll bet since 2006 or 7 or whenever those came out they've had some work done to them. 

I still have a set of 59s. One of the best sets they ever made imo. Enjoy them!

Playing my first round with them tomorrow. Felt good on the range this afternoon. I'm pretty jazzed about  this set

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Played a few times on the central coast of Cali this month. Sandpiper a few times (might be my favorite course in cali... and that includes pebble. It's neck and neck with spyglass) la purisma (fucking hard)  and Ojai valley inn (don't bother).  But nice to get out of the snow and hit some shots. 

Got a new 3 wood that replaced an 18 year old 904f because tgw had a glitch in their site and got an ad di shaft for no upcharge in the tsi3. First time I'd ever hit it. Holy shit. It's a cannon. At 13.5 degrees it just goes too far. Going to bump it up to 14.25 when I get home because I don't have a wrench with me. 

59 minutes ago, pops said:

Played a few times on the central coast of Cali this month. Sandpiper a few times (might be my favorite course in cali... and that includes pebble. It's neck and neck with spyglass) la purisma (fucking hard)  and Ojai valley inn (don't bother).  But nice to get out of the snow and hit some shots. 

Got a new 3 wood that replaced an 18 year old 904f because tgw had a glitch in their site and got an ad di shaft for no upcharge in the tsi3. First time I'd ever hit it. Holy shit. It's a cannon. At 13.5 degrees it just goes too far. Going to bump it up to 14.25 when I get home because I don't have a wrench with me. 

Well all right then. Nice work.