2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Ok. Forget the free throw. You don’t look a the basketball when you’re shooting. You look at the target. Happy?

Whatever anyone needs to hear to make them a better golfer is fine with me. It's a complex sport and mostly inbetween the ears. That advice that you paraphrased seemed silly to me. I shared just as much. I also shared that more than anything else in golf I feel like putting is kind of an innate ability. 

No offense meant. Golf and basketball were my main sports growing up. That crossover doesn't make sense to me but if it rings true with others then power to the people. Lord knows my golf game could use some help.

Whatever anyone needs to hear to make them a better golfer is fine with me. It's a complex sport and mostly inbetween the ears. That advice that you paraphrased seemed silly to me. I shared just as much. I also shared that more than anything else in golf I feel like putting is kind of an innate ability. 
No offense meant. Golf and basketball were my main sports growing up. That crossover doesn't make sense to me but if it rings true with others then power to the people. Lord knows my golf game could use some help.

Sorry. I’m feeling a little feisty today.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sorry. I’m feeling a little feisty today.

Dude... don't apologize. It's Surly. I make an ass of myself all the time here but I'm also quick to forgive and forget. 

I need to get back out there. I was playing a bunch in the fall and early calendar year. Lately money has been tight and it's gotten hot as shit. I was finally getting my bag in good shape and had just had a revelation with my driver. I'd like to get past the 18-20 hdcp into the teens. 

Putting has never been my issue but there are probably plenty of silly analogies that would help my approach and off-the-tee game. Leave it to me to overanalyze something that's helped someone else. 

I took the comparison to a free throw to mean that golf is more like a free throw than other shots since normally in basketball you’re active and reactive whereas in a free throw (like a putt) you decide when to pull the trigger and it’s good to have a simple routine rather than being in your head.

• Like 1

For Houston guys playing public golf I highly recommend Gus Wortham in EaDo. I played it today. $49. Fabulous course. It was HCC’s course from 1908-1958. It’s in great shape, especially with all the recent rain. It runs along Breas Bayou so you get some interesting elevation changes. On some holes you’d never know you were in Houston. The new clubhouse should be finished in a few months and it will be very nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the truth for a high handicap golfer that is dealing with the shanks is that they don’t strike the ball. Then simply ask why? A high handicap golfer doesn’t have a feel for where the ball is at the bottom of the swing. I didn’t mean to imply being robotic and staying in one position the whole swing (and through it). I always rotate through the swing and flow with the swing. But now that I know where the ball is at the bottom of my swing (a skill gained thru repetition), I look back and realize that I never felt the ball or remember “seeing” the ball at impact. I eliminated those shots from my game when I took the extra time to remember to focus on the ball. That split second of focus on the ball at impact, even though you follow thru, was a massive step for me in making more consistent impact on the ball, eliminating shanks and hosel rockets from my game. I’d also equate it to a practice swing on the range when you’re trying to groove a new aspect of the swing. Over-exaggerating swing moves during practice makes you “feel” how the move should be made more clearly. So if you can’t even make contact with the ball why not exaggerate your focus on the ball to better understand it’s position in your swing path?

Obviously this isn’t advice for a 4 index who has been playing golf forever. It’s a swing thought for people who can’t hit 2-3 shots in a row without a shank, chilly dip, or bladed 190 yard pitching wedge sneaking into their game. If you don’t have an ACCURATE feel for where the ball is then you probably need to focus on the ball to learn where it is until that feel is developed. That was how I eliminated the mentioned problem from my game and it took a while to get it done. Now when I have that issue I can call it being lazy with my swing and I can correct it mid-round be refocusing. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Headed to Birmingham next weekend for a golf trip - 2 rounds at Farmlinks and 4 rounds on the RTJ golf trail.  Looking at playing Ross Bridge twice and then Oxmoor Valley - Ridge course and the short course (Valley course is under reconstruction).  Anyone been out there, have any tips or recommendations for Birmingham area in general?   

27 minutes ago, FigurelliPwC said:

Headed to Birmingham next weekend for a golf trip - 2 rounds at Farmlinks and 4 rounds on the RTJ golf trail.  Looking at playing Ross Bridge twice and then Oxmoor Valley - Ridge course and the short course (Valley course is under reconstruction).  Anyone been out there, have any tips or recommendations for Birmingham area in general?   

Bring lots of balls.  Then again, I’m an 18.  

• Like 1

My scores were listed recent to oldest. The shank attacks were mostly last year. Every now and then they sneak in but none in a few rounds. What I am focusing on that is really improving my iron striking:

1) keeping my left arm straight WITHOUT increasing grip pressure in left hand. I was unknowingly strangling the club to keep my left arm straight and it was keeping the club from releasing.

2) keeping my weight in the center of my feet and not reaching for the ball at address. Shank panic led me to stand further from the ball and then the velocity of the swing was pulling my weight forward, then resulting in heel/hosel contact.

3) wider stance base, keeping me from swaying.

I don’t ever have big issues with horrid driver contact but it’s like every now and then my brain and body can’t understand how irons work.

In my experience, shanks tend to be caused by weight shifting to toes during downswing. SLOW practice swings feeling the weight staying on balls of feet through impact helps me.

I also take great care not to set up to the ball, but rather set up naturally (arms dangling, not reaching, and hips bending until club on ground) then shuffle my feet forward until that results in the ball appropriately aligned with the club face. In fact, I tend to do the first part of that with my weight on heels, then feel it shift to balls of feet, then shuffling forward to ball.

Sway is a major focal point for me. Good exercise here is to take practice and even warm up 3/4 swings with your feet close together. You have no option of swaying or you’d lose your balance.

When set up properly, your back hip actually moves TOWARDS the target on the backswing as a result of hip rotation. Visualizing this happening helps me quite a bit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HouTex said:

For Houston guys playing public golf I highly recommend Gus Wortham in EaDo. I played it today. $49. Fabulous course. It was HCC’s course from 1908-1958. It’s in great shape, especially with all the recent rain. It runs along Breas Bayou so you get some interesting elevation changes. On some holes you’d never know you were in Houston. The new clubhouse should be finished in a few months and it will be very nice.

Played it for the first time father's day weekend, definitely a fun layout.

8 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

No clue what happened to my reply but trying again.  I would at least try to get to Grand National at Auburn (on RTJ trail). I did not like RTJ in Bham but that was years ago. A lot of green were blind approaches and I felt that if I pay a premium to play a course I should see the green/pin. Grand national has always been one of my favorites.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:08 AM, Lurch said:

In my experience, shanks tend to be caused by weight shifting to toes during downswing. SLOW practice swings feeling the weight staying on balls of feet through impact helps me.

I also take great care not to set up to the ball, but rather set up naturally (arms dangling, not reaching, and hips bending until club on ground) then shuffle my feet forward until that results in the ball appropriately aligned with the club face. In fact, I tend to do the first part of that with my weight on heels, then feel it shift to balls of feet, then shuffling forward to ball.

Sway is a major focal point for me. Good exercise here is to take practice and even warm up 3/4 swings with your feet close together. You have no option of swaying or you’d lose your balance.

When set up properly, your back hip actually moves TOWARDS the target on the backswing as a result of hip rotation. Visualizing this happening helps me quite a bit.

Every time I visualize your thoughtsTin-Cup.jpg.1db89f1064e0554b4fb1bb3375249e21.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I started DECADE Golf by Scott Fawcett. I couldn’t be more impressed. It’s not ground breaking information but the way he presents it with data and reasoning has made golf a lot easier. It’s worth the 199 if you play at multiple places. Takes a while and discipline to realize you don’t have to it at the flag every single time and to not try and force birdies. I’m a +.8 right now and am learning a lot. I would assume higher handicaps could shave a LARGE amount of shots from the program.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, ocugolf said:

So I started DECADE Golf by Scott Fawcett. I couldn’t be more impressed. It’s not ground breaking information but the way he presents it with data and reasoning has made golf a lot easier. It’s worth the 199 if you play at multiple places. Takes a while and discipline to realize you don’t have to it at the flag every single time and to not try and force birdies. I’m a +.8 right now and am learning a lot. I would assume higher handicaps could shave a LARGE amount of shots from the program.

Can you give me more details on what the program actually is?? The website is kinda vague on method/theory. 

also, I’m clearly developing tennis elbow or something. Outside of my left, leading, elbow is in constant pain EXCEPT for when I swing a club. Thoughts on how to fix this without taking 3 weeks off?

Can you give me more details on what the program actually is?? The website is kinda vague on method/theory. 

also, I’m clearly developing tennis elbow or something. Outside of my left, leading, elbow is in constant pain EXCEPT for when I swing a club. Thoughts on how to fix this without taking 3 weeks off?

Something something cart girl.
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, FigurelliPwC said:

I can't say much about Birmingham itself.  I played the short course at Oxmoor valley on the way back from touring Bama.  I absolutely loved the course.  It is very hilly but very pretty out there.  I absolutely love playing the trail but I typically just play at the Grand Hotel's courses on the mobile bay.  

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Something something cart girl.

Not going to lie.  This little fling is becoming something that is a bit much. Not because of her, but because now 20 guys at the course know and it’s just a nonstop topic of conversation. I’m already shitting where I eat on this one. I don’t need to hear about it nonstop. Might have to wind it down. 

76 today as Salishan (on the way to Bandon on the Oregon Coast). The course was rough around the edges; fairways were not in great shape and they were in the midst of a “multi-year bunker restoration" but the greens were excellent. 

4 birdies and a 3 putt par on a  driveable par 4 that I drove (300 yards but downwind and downhill). 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

76 today as Salishan (on the way to Bandon on the Oregon Coast). The course was rough around the edges; fairways were not in great shape and they were in the midst of a “multi-year bunker restoration) but the greens were excellent. 

4 birdies and a 3 putt par on a  driveable par 4 that I drove (300 yards but downwind and downhill). 

Sooooo... bandon tomorrow?

On 7/17/2021 at 3:43 PM, AUinHsv said:

No clue what happened to my reply but trying again.  I would at least try to get to Grand National at Auburn (on RTJ trail). I did not like RTJ in Bham but that was years ago. A lot of green were blind approaches and I felt that if I pay a premium to play a course I should see the green/pin. Grand national has always been one of my favorites.

Thanks for the tip….Don’t think we will be able to make it to that one but if so it’s #1 backup plan.  Already have the hotel in Birmingham, 2 hour drive each way is a stretch for 1 round.  Plus there will be plenty of consumption going on, so not advisable to add a 2 hour drive after.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, FigurelliPwC said:

Played Ross Bridge in February, fantastic course.

We take an annual trip to the RTJ trail every year and play for 3-4 days straight, usually 36 holes per day.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jhawk said:

I would say it’s a data driven way to approach course management. When to be aggressive off the tee, how to pick targets, easiest ways to lower scores. You input each round by score and then each course has a GPS overview where you input where your shots went, where pins were, what you hit, etc. Based off of 10 rounds of that data, it gives you where you lose shots, ways to remedy, and such. I’ve played competitively for a long time and it has made the game a lot more simple. Once you have your data in, you get custom yardage books of any course you are playing that gives you targets and tee shot clubs based on percentages. It’s a really cool setup.

Finally just lost a gasket on Club Champion.  I love that place but their pricing and their customer service has worn out its welcome.  I got fitted for my hybrid in the middle of june and they quoted me 4-6 weeks for delivered club.  At 4 weeks I called in to the local shop that fitted me and they never called me back.  I emailed twice and they never responded.  So I called HQ and was told that they had just ordered my club components.  They sat on my order for 4 weeks.  Awesome.  So yesterday I get an email update saying they need 3 more weeks. Unacceptable.  Call and email the local shop I ordered thru, no response.  Call HQ and just lay into the customer service guy.  Not his fault but they took my money day one and they implied to me that they aren't required to send me my product within any reasonable timeframe.  So I get hung up on.  I call my pro shop and they can get the components and have the club built within 14 days.  Club Champion service manager calls me back and I let him have it.  Told them that if they can't provide timely clubs then there is zero reason to use their service because of the huge markup.  I'm all for them making money but they can't float orders 4 weeks and then ask for more time.  I go off.  The manager is polite and understands the issues and actually states that the pandemic has exposed their internal deficiences.

I have the club in hand as of 9:45am this morning 17.5 hours after my call.  So it isn't that they don't have product in house or that they can't hit their deadlines, it's that they won't.  This isn't a feel good story, I'll never buy from them again regardless of the manager taking care of business.  The problem there is systemic and the local shops are probably the worst offenders in their customer service problems.

Fuck em.  I've got a match on Saturday and I'm going to be launching absolute piss missiles.  79 coming in hot.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:03 PM, ocugolf said:

I would say it’s a data driven way to approach course management. When to be aggressive off the tee, how to pick targets, easiest ways to lower scores. You input each round by score and then each course has a GPS overview where you input where your shots went, where pins were, what you hit, etc. Based off of 10 rounds of that data, it gives you where you lose shots, ways to remedy, and such. I’ve played competitively for a long time and it has made the game a lot more simple. Once you have your data in, you get custom yardage books of any course you are playing that gives you targets and tee shot clubs based on percentages. It’s a really cool setup.

So they give you yardage books showing where the target landing zones are and where the good misses are?

That’s where I was before breaking through. Lot of 39-41 front/back nines combine with a 46 or 43. When the dam finally broke for me it was club championship week and I thought about golf ALL WEEK leading up to the event. I knew I had 79 in me and knew it would happen. Probably the most mentally prepared I’ve ever been for a round and then I just scrambled my ass off. Definitely not the way I envisioned it it 78 is less than 80 so like my ass and suck my dick. 

I'm dancing with breaking 80...just can't put two good 9s together.  Have had 9s of 40, 39, and 38 recently, just coupled with mid 40s on the other half.  Tantalizing...

Yeah, when you’re doing this it’s about to happen. I don’t think I changed a thing when I got to this point. Just kept playing as many rounds as I could.

Finally just lost a gasket on Club Champion.  I love that place but their pricing and their customer service has worn out its welcome.  I got fitted for my hybrid in the middle of june and they quoted me 4-6 weeks for delivered club.  At 4 weeks I called in to the local shop that fitted me and they never called me back.  I emailed twice and they never responded.  So I called HQ and was told that they had just ordered my club components.  They sat on my order for 4 weeks.  Awesome.  So yesterday I get an email update saying they need 3 more weeks. Unacceptable.  Call and email the local shop I ordered thru, no response.  Call HQ and just lay into the customer service guy.  Not his fault but they took my money day one and they implied to me that they aren't required to send me my product within any reasonable timeframe.  So I get hung up on.  I call my pro shop and they can get the components and have the club built within 14 days.  Club Champion service manager calls me back and I let him have it.  Told them that if they can't provide timely clubs then there is zero reason to use their service because of the huge markup.  I'm all for them making money but they can't float orders 4 weeks and then ask for more time.  I go off.  The manager is polite and understands the issues and actually states that the pandemic has exposed their internal deficiences.
I have the club in hand as of 9:45am this morning 17.5 hours after my call.  So it isn't that they don't have product in house or that they can't hit their deadlines, it's that they won't.  This isn't a feel good story, I'll never buy from them again regardless of the manager taking care of business.  The problem there is systemic and the local shops are probably the worst offenders in their customer service problems.
Fuck em.  I've got a match on Saturday and I'm going to be launching absolute piss missiles.  79 coming in hot.

Makes me wonder about their cash on hand. Might be an indication that they’re not solvent. They probably stole from someone’s order ahead of you to put yours together.

i was having issues with consistency on my irons. this video helped me tremendously. now as i'm standing over the ball, i am imagining how i want to end my swing. i swing with that finish in mind. 

video starts to where Collin talks about his thought process for his shots.

48 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Makes me wonder about their cash on hand. Might be an indication that they’re not solvent. They probably stole from someone’s order ahead of you to put yours together.

I wouldn’t doubt it. That was kind of my primary fear that I overpaid for a club that would never come. Like I said, I wasn’t going to have the timing issue with my club. I also ordered 2 new wedges this summer with custom shafts and had no problem getting them in 2 weeks from the pro shop. Further, I was in golf galaxy last week and they had the club head and grip. I also contemplated just going and getting the club from GG and ordering the shaft so I’d have something to play while I waited for the shaft. CC basically had no explanation and then when I told them I was going to start fraudulent transaction proceedings with my bank they instantly had the club available. 

Alright... need an early November golf trip. Pinehurst is booked. Harbour town is cart path only in November. Waiting to hear from kiawah. Am sick of Scottsdale. 

Where would you head for a 3 round weekend where it is warm, easy to get to, good golf, and good surroundings for food and drinking? I’ll hang up and listen.