2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

Just now, babysdaddy said:

isn't Dr. Beeper a member there?  That place needs to close up shop.  Can't have a course on a fkn flood plain

If you follow White Rock creek from its origin to the lake you will pass half the golf courses in Dallas/Collin county.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:23 AM, Jhawk said:

I have told my business partner that I will never play those courses because of where they are. He being from Lincoln can’t understand why anyone would ever not want to be in Nebraska. Something about I don’t want to drive 8 hours after a round to play my next round doesn’t get thru to him. 

We broke it up to make it doable. After playing 36 yesterday, drove 4 hours to York. Then only had 5 hours. They are a tremendous hassle to get to, but well worth the trip. It’s almost impossible to describe the vastness of the Dunes course.

Played Phoenician and We-Ko-Pa Saguaro last week. Phoenician is a really nice course but We-Ko-Pa is on another level. I can’t wait to get back and play their Cholla course. 

1313B84D-98BD-4C96-9409-40CA9D63BC38.jpeg

white ball is mine, 2nd shot

86AA5152-0E2B-438A-B2E1-2AF224F099BE.jpeg

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Hook 'Em 1

Alright. I’d like to start off by saying “fuck you guys” for not telling me the secrets of club grips. Then I’d like to tell all that a midsize grip will kill your pull hook problem. My misses are so much better. I’ve lost about 5 yards a club but since I’ve changed my grils I’ve shot 89, 88, 86, and 85 today. During this time I’m also dialing two new wedges I’ve never carried before (54 and 60 degree) so I’m leaving 3-4 shots on the course. 

Fuck you all. 

Edited by Jhawk

Played southern highlands in Vegas Friday. Might not have quite lived up to expectations, but don't know if that was possible. Very good course with some fun holes. Didn't hurt that I played pretty good. Had an old tour caddie as a caddie there and he helped, but also fucked me on a couple holes. 

Saturday played a club Corp course called canyon gate. It was a fun little track. Short and in the middle of a development but whatever.   That being said, trying  to remember the last time I played on better greens. Flat fucking perfect. 

That sat night we did the lighted angel park 9.  Take 2 wedges, a putter and 50 beers. But it was still fun. 

I played like crap today... 84.  The grips are insane and my eye on the course has totally changed. Instead of “how far right should I aim” I just aim straight and have great misses. Handi is down 1 full point in 4 rounds. 

Oh yeah... headed to Tampa this morning. Streamsong all week then the concession on Saturday. Playing the best and most consistent golf of my life probably means I’m going to shit down my leg all week but I’m fucking pumped. Any tips from those who have done this trip?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah... headed to Tampa this morning. Streamsong all week then the concession on Saturday. Playing the best and most consistent golf of my life probably means I’m going to shit down my leg all week but I’m fucking pumped. Any tips from those who have done this trip?

Everyone in our group loved Streamsong blue and red. Black was a far distant third. If you have a choice, I would suggest playing the red or blue multiple times vs playing the black course at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Broke 80 (sort of) for the first time yesterday since September. Playing in member-member. Last day was best ball format. Shot 37 on front nine on my ball. Lightning stopped us on 18 tee (so final round was shortened to 9 holes) and I was +6 on the back with a triple.

Oh. And as a team we shot...37 on the front. So we didn’t do so hot.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hadn't struck a golf ball for 6 years before last week.  Been to TopGolf twice just to shake the rust off.  Will be playing at the Westin Kierland and Talking Stick in Scottsdale this weekend.  Should be......interesting?

8 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Hadn't struck a golf ball for 6 years before last week.  Been to TopGolf twice just to shake the rust off.  Will be playing at the Westin Kierland and Talking Stick in Scottsdale this weekend.  Should be......interesting?

there's beer for when you say fuck this game.

Streamsong black: super gimmick course. Enjoyed hitting almost every green but I had multiple 4 putts. FORTY SIX TOTAL PUTTS. Shot a 94. Don’t really feel the need to play that again, especially since I consider myself an A- putter. 

streamson red: more traditional. Hit a ton of fairways and the greens are still bigger than I’m used to (11 GIR). Played my ass of on the front but had a couple of tough doubles for a 43. Swing got a little loose on the back from the tee box but I fucking grinded the shit out of it. Sank a 10 footer on 18 for a birdie and 39!  82 is my low round ever. 3 total doubles and 1 birdie. 4 bogeys. I still didn’t putt well (37) because I just can’t get a feel for these greens and the pace. 

blue tomorrow then down to the concession. 

Warning for anyone in Houston - I played Memorial Park yesterday and the “aerated” greens more closely resemble a bunker than a green. More sand than I’ve ever seen on greens and it’s not even close. Would recommend waiting at least 10 days before playing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1) Don’t take any shit off anybody

2) play YOUR game, baby

3) Beer

4) Consider purchasing one of my stylish fashion tee-Shirts: I’d Rather Be Laying Pipe
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:52 PM, Jhawk said:

Alright. I’d like to start off by saying “fuck you guys” for not telling me the secrets of club grips. Then I’d like to tell all that a midsize grip will kill your pull hook problem. My misses are so much better. I’ve lost about 5 yards a club but since I’ve changed my grils I’ve shot 89, 88, 86, and 85 today. During this time I’m also dialing two new wedges I’ve never carried before (54 and 60 degree) so I’m leaving 3-4 shots on the course. 

Fuck you all. 

I personally hate midsized grips. Makes it more difficult to release properly (for me at least). I guess I can see how they could help prevent the hard left shot.

Absolutely brutal day today. Hot as hell. Started on the back side of the blue course and I sucked something hard. Bogey to start. Then a great drive on 11 (2) but a bad beat got me into a double bogey. Then the wheels came off and I shot 52 on the front. On hole 18 (9) the caddie manager drive out to us. He brought me 2 nooners and 3 shots of fireball. I took two shots and killed a nooner to get a bogey. Then went birdie, birdie and doubled 18 for a 40 on the back. All my booze was gone before my second shot on hole 2(11). It’s like I need alcohol to function or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Absolutely brutal day today. Hot as hell. Started on the back side of the blue course and I sucked something hard. Bogey to start. Then a great drive on 11 (2) but a bad beat got me into a double bogey. Then the wheels came off and I shot 52 on the front. On hole 18 (9) the caddie manager drive out to us. He brought me 2 nooners and 3 shots of fireball. I took two shots and killed a nooner to get a bogey. Then went birdie, birdie and doubled 18 for a 40 on the back. All my booze was gone before my second shot on hole 2(11). It’s like I need alcohol to function or something. 

It’s a fine line for me. Played Wednesday, ordered a double before teeing off( charity work tournament) played great for a few holes while I slow sipped a few brews. Took a fireball and drank a few more beers and my game fell apart on back 9. Had 2 former college golfers on my scramble team so it didn’t matter, I’ll I was there for was 4 putts and 1 chip and 1 8 iron.

Played in a scramble on Wednesday in front of clients, and I hit a lot of really good shots. Damn, it's nice to be playing golf again.

Still can't putt for shit though. A few weeks ago I played in a scramble with a Golf Pro. My number one takeaway was he was about 1,000 times better at reading greens than I am.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:02 PM, Auto Driller said:

Warning for anyone in Houston - I played Memorial Park yesterday and the “aerated” greens more closely resemble a bunker than a green. More sand than I’ve ever seen on greens and it’s not even close. Would recommend waiting at least 10 days before playing it.

Played it the Friday before Memorial Day and the course was in excellent shape, so must have just happened. 

Just finished first round of couples best ball at my club. I shot a 77 and g/f shot a 97. She’s a 24 and I’m a 6.8.

8 pars in a row to start then missed. 2 foot par putt for 1 over on front. Three inches away from three birdies ugh.

Had a double on the back when I pushed a 3 wood into the lake, had to redrop on tee box, ended up with double. Only had one birdie, couldn’t buy a putt.

Only missed two fairways and hit 14 greens. Pretty solid. Girlfriend made a birdie on a par five and got two strokes as well for three strokes on one hole!

Just finished at the concession. I might join. Seriously. Nicest course I’ll ever play in my life and the greens were punched 3 weeks ago. If I was on the fence on moving to Florida and I played this course I’d move the next day. Just so great. 

I tripled 9 for a 45 from the 148 slope yellow. Lost my first ball then I decided to just take it easy since I didn’t think I could go sub-90 for the day. Let a little loose for a 94.  Absolute blast. 

Edited by Jhawk

Hate that it didn’t go well for you on Blue. It’s my favorite course I’ve played anywhere. Hope you were able to look up and take it in a bit, but know when I’m struggling I fail to do that.

I played Oak Hills CC in San Antonio yesterday. I don't hear it talked about much, but it was fantastic. Course conditions were great, especially the greens. Tillinghast design is fun and makes it feel very old school. They had nice clubhouse facilities as well. 

Next week I am playing TPC Craig's Ranch for the first time. I was told they were punching the greens at the beginning of the month. I assume they will be healed by next week. Then the week after that I will be golfing on Long Island. Throw in watching the US Open, June is shaping up to be preetttty, pretty good.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:40 PM, Mileslong said:

Just finished first round of couples best ball at my club. I shot a 77 and g/f shot a 97. She’s a 24 and I’m a 6.8.

8 pars in a row to start then missed. 2 foot par putt for 1 over on front. Three inches away from three birdies ugh.

Had a double on the back when I pushed a 3 wood into the lake, had to re-drop on tee box, ended up with double. Only had one birdie, couldn’t buy a putt.

Only missed two fairways and hit 14 greens. Pretty solid. Girlfriend made a birdie on a par five and got two strokes as well for three strokes on one hole!

To finish up on the tourney.  Got a lodged kidney stone Saturday night and spent the night in ER. got drugged up and went out and played anyway on Sunday since we were in second place in our flight.  I bumbled my way to an 81 and g/f totally collapsed under the pressure with a cool 117.  We ended up in 4th and 6th net and gross.  embarrassing.  I couldn't even keep my posture when driving due to the pain, was spraying it everywhere and topping 1/3 of my shots.  Short game is the only reason i didn't shoot 90.

13 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Any reccos for a driver? I'm an 18 handicap playing an old TM R11 and wondering if driver tech has improved enough to drop 500 on a current gen model.

Just find somewhere where you can hit everything. Feel and looks are totally subjective. All the top brands make great drivers. 

And honestly, not being a dick, but I guarantee that 500 would be much better spent on lessons than a new D. And I'd say the same thing to a scratch golfer that is playing anything made in the last 10 years or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 11:30 AM, Lurch said:

Hate that it didn’t go well for you on Blue. It’s my favorite course I’ve played anywhere. Hope you were able to look up and take it in a bit, but know when I’m struggling I fail to do that.

I was definitely taking it in. Learned that at whistling a few years ago. If you aren’t playing well then enjoy a walk in the park. Great course. Great resort. Will probably go back when the weather is cooler and in a few years. 

21 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Any reccos for a driver? I'm an 18 handicap playing an old TM R11 and wondering if driver tech has improved enough to drop 500 on a current gen model.

callaway pre-owned is your friend, both the site and their ebay store. you usually can find "better" deals on their ebay store. 

i got a "used" but was basically brand new Callaway Mavrik driver for $205 shipped which is better than some of the normal auction prices.

re suggestions....

i have/had a old 2015 Wilson F5 driver. i hit it well, but struggled with consistency. the new mavrik helped with the consistency but i am about 10 yards shorter than my Wilson F5. the mavrik is more forgiving. it just feels like the balls jump off the club face of the wilson better. 

that's a long way of saying driver tech has helped with consistency but not distance. but it may be a shaft issue for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

as an add one, i was using 2013 callaway X-forged irons. they felt great but they were not forgiving on mishits. i think the shaft was too stiff and too heavy for me. i sold them and got a used set of the Srixon Z565s. they are forged so they feel just as good or better. they are much more forgiving than the x-forged. but that prob has a lot to do with the club profiles as the x-forged are players distance and the Z565s are game improvement. 

also the x-forged are traditional lofts. the Z565s are newer so they have the jacked up lofts. i didn't think i'd like the jacked up lofts. they are longer but have less spin. but i have no issues landing and stopping on greens because although they have lower spins, they have high launch, flight, and steep decent which helps with keeping balls on the green. playing higher end urethane balls also helps with keeping balls on the green.

Last weekend I played a tourney on my way home from a work event I drove to. Completely unknown course and players.

First four holes I was SOLID. Didn’t drop any birdies but had four looks and was even on what we’re some legit tough holes.

We’re in a foursome which sucks in tourneys for a number of reasons, one of which is the challenge of keeping up w everyone else’s stroke count during holes. This is particularly difficult when someone is struggling with duffs, drops, etc.

On the first hole “Jimmy” declared a bogey, but I reminded him he had to recover from a drive in a parallel fairway and actually took a double. No big deal, honest mistake. On the second hole, a par 5, I mistakenly declared a “4” when I meant Par and just forgot it wasn’t a par 4. Jimmy reminded me and we’re all good. Again, simple honest mistake. On the fourth hole, Jimmy made a mess of it. Several chipping duffs and a missed short putt. As I was lining up my own putt, he taps in and storms back to his cart, declaring a 6. I didn’t think much about it but thought he was in for a 7 and said “Was that a 6 or a 7?” to which he snapped back “You seem more concerned about everyone else’s score more than your own.” I responded that it was literally the entire purpose of the game. The others smiled and eye rolled with me. I honestly wasn’t certain and wasn’t keeping his card so I didn’t debate it any further.

Here’s the thing… that little exchange FUCKED me the rest of the day. I couldn’t recover from the adrenaline rush the next few holes(muscles were all shaking and touch was gone) and couldn’t help but stew about him acting like a child for literally hours. I take pride in controlling my emotions on course, yet I was completely unable to manage it here. Total fail.

Anyone with similar experiences?

16 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Last weekend I played a tourney on my way home from a work event I drove to. Completely unknown course and players.

First four holes I was SOLID. Didn’t drop any birdies but had four looks and was even on what we’re some legit tough holes.

We’re in a foursome which sucks in tourneys for a number of reasons, one of which is the challenge of keeping up w everyone else’s stroke count during holes. This is particularly difficult when someone is struggling with duffs, drops, etc.

On the first hole “Jimmy” declared a bogey, but I reminded him he had to recover from a drive in a parallel fairway and actually took a double. No big deal, honest mistake. On the second hole, a par 5, I mistakenly declared a “4” when I meant Par and just forgot it wasn’t a par 4. Jimmy reminded me and we’re all good. Again, simple honest mistake. On the fourth hole, Jimmy made a mess of it. Several chipping duffs and a missed short putt. As I was lining up my own putt, he taps in and storms back to his cart, declaring a 6. I didn’t think much about it but thought he was in for a 7 and said “Was that a 6 or a 7?” to which he snapped back “You seem more concerned about everyone else’s score more than your own.” I responded that it was literally the entire purpose of the game. The others smiled and eye rolled with me. I honestly wasn’t certain and wasn’t keeping his card so I didn’t debate it any further.

Here’s the thing… that little exchange FUCKED me the rest of the day. I couldn’t recover from the adrenaline rush the next few holes(muscles were all shaking and touch was gone) and couldn’t help but stew about him acting like a child for literally hours. I take pride in controlling my emotions on course, yet I was completely unable to manage it here. Total fail.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Yeah, had a similar thing happen the other day at our member/guest.  My handicap is screwed at the moment so I knew we had no chance of winning and was just having fun. We started on 10 and sliced the drive.  Normally when I do that it goes on 9 fairway and you have a decent shot in so I didn’t hit a provisional. But, there is a gap between 9 and 10 fairway with normal nature terrain. Apparently I landed in there, couldn’t find it (we were playing match play and my partner was on the green in 2 so wasn’t worried about it) so I just dropped a ball and hit to the green. Opponents said, “well I guess he’s out of this hole” and didn’t think much about it.  As it turns out my ball landed right behind my partners on the same line. I go to putt and the opponent said I was good. But, I wanted to putt just to feel the greens because it was our first hole (not really caring about the match since we had no shot of winning). I said I wanted to putt it and he made a decent deal about me not putting it so I picked it up, let my partner putt out then putted mine.  It brought those same nerves on for a hole or so but I got over it and reminded myself I was just having fun.  In the end, I learned I was actually in the wrong and that when someone gives you a putt in match play you have to take it. At least that’s what I was told.  

Absolutely in love with my game right now.  That being said, I can see how I would get frustrated if I can't break 80 and be consistently in the low 80s next year.  Shot what I thought was a "bad" 86 yesterday.  Started off -1 thru 2 (with an eagle chance).  Then put a dumb tee ball OB for a triple.  On 8 I left a bunker shot in the bunker for a bogey then on 9 I duffed two chips in deep rough for a double.  44 going out with 3 pars and a birdie.  Back side I had 3 pars and 6 bogeys.  One 3 putt bogey, one putt that was about 12 feet that I miss hit but had the right line (putt it a second time and jarred it), and then barely missed a birdie putt from 12 feet on 18.  29 putts.

The pieces are all there, I just really need to focus on my short game and learn how to hit this fucking 60* wedge.  I'm watching videos like crazy to learn how to put a lot of spin on the ball in a short distance.  My feel just isn't great around the green so getting the ball close when I miss a green is really about hitting the ball on and hoping it runs up.  Transitioning to the cut shot put control into my game.  I feel like learning to spin it around the green will give me control to be more aggressive in my short game and then I'm gold.