2021 transfer thread

Machinator

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It should also be noted along with Tarp saying he was soft when he seemed OU bound that he was replaced as the starter during the year.Ā  Won't stop Looch and aggy from saying how huge a get he is though.

Does anybody have a screen shot of this Tarp post thatā€™s been referred to a couple times now?

On 1/13/2021 at 10:06 PM, quigley said:

Update on the Sooners in the portal

Tanner Mordecai, quarterback, 4*, contributor> SMU; he looked competent in limited action. Reasonable chance to win a spot
TJ Pledger, running back, 4*, contributor > Utah; will likely figure into their RB rotation
John Michael Terry, LB, 3*, contributor, Tulsa; he'll be good for them

Jalin Conyers, tight end, 4*, redsirt > Arizona State; high upside
Chandler Morris, quarterback, 3*, reshirt > TCU, may be a good fit there
Robert Barnes, S/LB, 4*, contributor, _______________; not quick or fast enough for safety; not strong enough for LB
Charleston Rambo, wide receiver, 4*,starter > Miami; floor raising WR. Has speed, minimal YAC, doesn't get contested balls, lots of high leverage drops in 2020

Barnes found his spot

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ā 

OU sucks ... but this timeline of updates from Perroni brings the lulz.Ā  (The new "RC didn't offer ... " should be "Fisher moved on ... ").

Ā 

Spoiler

Wanya Morris update (Monday update #2)

Brian Perroni
Jan 16th, 10:31 AM

Things went very well with A&M. I believe that is his likely destination. And we could hear a decision today or Sunday.

There is still a chance that he makes it to Oklahoma. But, if he does, he would get in pretty late tonight. There has not been a decision made on if he will make that visit, though. But, even if he does, he and his family are very high on A&M. The family factor is huge and that is very much in A&Mā€˜s favor. It would obviously be better for A&M if he canceled it but I think he would still end up in Aggieland anyway.

I should know more later this morning or early afternoon one way or the other on the Norman trip.

UPDATE 12:50 PM: I've been told Morris and his mother are headed back to B/CS instead of Norman. I would not be shocked if there was an announcement in the not-too-distant future.

UPDATE 1:30 PM: So this may sound like a weird update but nothing has really changed. They were on their way to College Station but they have been in frequent communication with A&M. A&M wants to make sure all the paperwork and everything is sorted out so Mortis and his mom actually headed back to Houston for just a little bit. Again, itā€™s just making sure everything is ready to go when he gets to College Station but just wanted to put this update out there in case people try to say we were wrong because heā€™s not there yet. So the actual timing of everything has just been pushed back a bit but the plans have not changed. I was told once again there are no plans to go to Norman.

UPDATE 4:15 PM: My timing was slightly off. He has been to college station already and has filled out paperwork. He is flying back out of Dallas tomorrow and has a training session in Frisco again tomorrow morning.
I have been told again that he is telling people he is not going to Norman. And A&M basically expects him to enroll by Friday, which is the last potential day to do so. With Norman not being incredibly far from Dallas, thereā€™s a chance I guess he still could sneak up there but there would be a lot of people surprised. And A&M feels very good as well

EDIT: They are now checked into a hotel in Dallas. So I have no reason to doubt them saying they are not going to Norman

UPDATE SUN. 10:30 AM: Yesterday was definitely a roller coaster with the back-and-forth of planning the OU trip versus not going. I have not confirmed it 100% but it sounds like he likely did make it to Norman.
I donā€™t know what the plan is for A&M. I believe they will still take him but I am guessing they will want him to go public with it soon. So an announcement today or tomorrow would seem likely. If he doesnā€™t, I believe thereā€™s a chance they move on. On Saturday, Morris was planning to be an Aggie. It will be interesting to see if OU will be able to counter the momentum. But, the Aggies have done a really good job here. I think he will choose A&M but he needs to do so quickly or else Fisher very well could move on. They definitely let him know there had to be an answer soon due to the small numbers remaining in the class.

SUN. 2:45 PM: The original flight out from DFW was set for Monday. He had planned to change it to Sunday but didn't end up doing so. He did make it to Norman and will now make the original flight back to Tennessee on Monday. Both schools want a decision soon and Morris wants to announce on Monday. I still think it will be A&M but him making it to Oklahoma and having a chance to meet with players he knows gives them more of an in than they had yesterday.

MON. 10:45 AM: I have been told to expect an announcement this afternoon or evening once he arrives back in Knoxville. There are some people close to him that feel like it will be A&M but I am making zero guarantees with how much of a roller coaster this has been already. OU is starting to feel more optimistic and Morris clearly has trouble telling people no, so this one will be interesting today.

MON. 11:15 AM: I had someone close to the situation tell me it was A&M last night. But, I've just been told by them it is very likely going to be Oklahoma. I'm going to flip my CB.

EDIT: While OU is more confident today, this is definitely not coming from them. I've had some people ask, since the staff there has read some things wrong in this class.

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ā 

Ā 

This wholeĀ thing is so fucking silly and makes Tennessee look like a complete dumpster fire. Might as well just fire every coach in the SEC outside of Vandy for cause.

"What! Saban's staff was paying players??? He has to go!"

Edited by ztejas
Sorry - we're veering a little off topic

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

No way he gets 149 carries next season at Texas. Only have a shot if he's willing to split carries/targets with Bijan.

do we even need to take another RB? we're not too far removed from the catastrophe of the 2019 preseason but Bijan/Roschon/Watsom/Brooks seems like a healthy position room, especially if we add LJ Johnson (or, less likely, Wheaton).

2 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

do we even need to take another RB? we're not too far removed from the catastrophe of the 2019 preseason but Bijan/Roschon/Watsom/Brooks seems like a healthy position room, especially if we add LJ Johnson (or, less likely, Wheaton).

If you can land Charbonnet, land Charbonnet. Immediately elevates that room. Frankly, you have no idea if Whittington can stay healthy, and having more flex options is a good thing. Charbonnet would, imo be a better get than LJ or Wheaton and should be chasedĀ 

3 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

There is good depth at RB as it is and for the time being, have to trust Sark to be able to maximize production at the position. I don't believe Texas gets either LJ or Wheaton. Should kick the tires on the Michigan transfer, but based on his production history, he's going somewhere to be the man and it's not likely Texas.

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If you can land Charbonnet, land Charbonnet. Immediately elevates that room. Frankly, you have no idea if Whittington can stay healthy, and having more flex options is a good thing. Charbonnet would, imo be a better get than LJ or Wheaton and should be chasedĀ 

Nothing says we'll get any of them so land whomever we can and still go all in on Blue. Ā 

19 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Ā 

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

There is good depth at RB as it is and for the time being, have to trust Sark to be able to maximize production at the position. I don't believe Texas gets either LJ or Wheaton. Should kick the tires on the Michigan transfer, but based on his production history, he's going somewhere to be the man and it's not likely Texas.

We do not have good depth at RB. We have a stud RB, and a solid college RB. Thatā€™s it. Watson should not get meaningful carries and Brooks needs time. If one of our top two gets hurt for any period of time weā€™d be a in a real bad spot.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Tier 1 transfers (production at P5 + upside OR big production at G5)

Arik Gilbert - LSU

Wanya Morris -Tenn --> Oklahoma

Big Kat Bryant - Auburn --> Tennessee (for now; does he just declare?)

Zach Charbonnet - Michigan

Ā 

Will update as things progress. Still waiting on kids to get back to class at their present school, hate it, and decide that there are greener pastures.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Ā 

RE: Michigan -- lots of talent sprinkled on both sides of the ball, esp at skill positions. With uncertainty at head coach, QB, and OL, there may be further defections. Texas may benefit with Worthy, but if he's interested in being part of an explosive offense that is light at RB, Norman is a great place to go.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Gerry and Bobby think that there would be "mutual interest" between us and RB Eric Gray for Tennessee if he entered the portal.

https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster/eric-gray/12838

Maybe the potential transfer TFB is trending to?:

As I said yesterday, I was told that Pruitt told one his transfers to hold off on a decision and said he could get him a spot with Sark at Texas. Thatā€™s straight from the mouth of a family member of the player.

Edited by KYHorn

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

Maybe the oriental transfer TFB is trending to?:

As I said yesterday, I was told that Pruitt told one his transfers to hold off on a decision and said he could get him a spot with Sark at Texas. Thatā€™s straight from the mouth of a family member of the player.

I hate to break it to you, but I donā€™t think this guy is oriental, KatfidYHorn.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

A76DBC89-D464-4976-86CF-CAE99B71F39C.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Charbonnet is Michiganā€™s Kyle Porter. Did you guys watch the guy play in 2019? I know he was just a freshman, but heā€™s not an inspiring talent. Average guy at best.Ā 

Have you (or Burt or Fud or Golf Clap or anyone else)seen this Tennessee RB, Eric Gray?Ā  I can't say I've watched much Volunteer football of recent vintage.

8 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Have you (or Burt or Fud or Golf Clap or anyone else)seen this Tennessee RB, Eric Gray?Ā  I can't say I've watched much Volunteer football of recent vintage.

He's played pretty well given the shit show around him. He's got some speed and good pedigree (3x Tennessee Mr. Football and 2x state Gatorade POY). Would slot in behind Bijan and ahead of Roschon. Speed would definitely help to round out the RB room.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Grayā€™s a stud and would be an incredible addition. Not sure heā€™d be willing to come here with Bijan though. I have to think heā€™s liking to be the lead back.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/16/2021 at 1:47 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nation's sack leader just entered the portal.Ā  Sark said we need DE's.

https://247sports.com/Article/Jordan-Strachan-enters-transfer-portal-Georgia-State-nations-sack-leader-159153434/

6ā€™4ā€™ā€™Ā 225 lbs. If we put him and overshown on the field together we are going to get run over.

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Charbonnet is Michiganā€™s Kyle Porter. Did you guys watch the guy play in 2019? I know he was just a freshman, but heā€™s not an inspiring talent. Average guy at best.Ā 

All the guys in the portal are there because something isn't perfect at their present schools. Some of them have shown that they can compete at a high level and have remaining upside. There are reasons why Justin Fields was a highly coveted transfer despite showing little at Georgia.

Mgoblog critically evaluates Michigan football, and they like Charbonnet. Sometimes transfer running backs go to new enviroments and excel (eg, Sermon, Trey).

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, quigley said:

All the guys in the portal are there because something isn't perfect at their present schools. Some of them have shown that they can compete at a high level and have remaining upside. There are reasons why Justin Fields was a highly coveted transfer despite showing little at Georgia.

Mgoblog critically evaluates Michigan football, and they like Charbonnet. Sometimes transfer running backs go to new enviroments and excel (eg, Sermon, Trey).

I know how it works and why it happens. Texas had a solid transfer with TreĀ Watson a few years ago. TB is a spot where transfer talent can be found. Ā Nonetheless, Iā€™ll stick with the ā€œaverageā€ tag on this one after having watched him.Ā