2021 transfer thread

Machinator

20 hours ago, texifornia said:

Bama's second stringer had 91 rushes. Every back wants tread on the tires for the NFL. It's a new era.

Bama averaged 70 plays a game last year. Wouldn’t be unreasonable to have a breakdown of something like 

Bijan - 15-18 carries

Gray - 9-13 carries 

Johnson - 4-7 carries 

On the high side of those numbers there, you’re looking at 38 carries.  That still leaves roughly 32 plays for throws, reverses, QB runs, etc.  Also that breaks down (again on the high end and in a 12 game span) 216 carries for Bijan, 156 carries for Gray, and 84 carries for Johnson. 

The question is would a breakdown like that be a big enough draw for Gray.  

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

This is pretty accurate. He has a lack of top end speed which limits his ceiling but I don't think he has stiff hips - he has a 4.01 shuttle - he was just out of position a lot in a poorly schemed Todd Orlando defense that led to confidence issues that he couldn't seem to get over here. He's not an island guy but he is good getting into a WRs body and using his long reach and strength to his advantage. I think he'll probably do well in Arnett's scheme opposite Emerson. 

Thanks for the honest insight. Excited to get a player of his potential. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

So three of OU’s likely starters on the OL are transfers 

This is the outcome when HC and OL coach favor different types of OL guys. BB never took guys like Walker and Simpson before Riley and those guys aren’t playing or developing. 

Harrison and Raym look damn good though and with these 3 additions they should be damn good and this keeps from having to dip into the FR class. 

they must be up against the numbers though. Does anyone have a clear breakdown of what they have for 2022? 

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

So three of OU’s likely starters on the OL are transfers 

19 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is the outcome when HC and OL coach favor different types of OL guys. BB never took guys like Walker and Simpson before Riley and those guys aren’t playing or developing. 
Harrison and Raym look damn good though and with these 3 additions they should be damn good and this keeps from having to dip into the FR class. 
they must be up against the numbers though. Does anyone have a clear breakdown of what they have for 2022? 

I don't know anything about Congel, but if he starts over Hayes, Murray, or Raym, he's pretty good. I'd say this is more of an indictment of C/G depth, which is supposed to be good with Robinson (2 year starter, who underperformed in 2020), Alexander, and Walker all there.

I think OU is all in for 2021, and they may be cannibalizing future classes to make this push. I wouldn't be surprised if they tell Gray (visiting OU today) that he'll start next year. It'll be interesting to see who they can get at NB/S from the portal also.

Regarding 2022 numbers, they only have 16 signees for 2021 with 9 mid-year enrollees. Apparently, Wanya Morris and Micah Bowen are supposed to count as mid-year enrollees too.

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably Creed's replacement.

Raym or Murray are supposed to be at C.

Whoever doesn't play C will probably start at RG in place of Robinson, who was subpar for most of 2020. A lot of Robinson's issues looked to be conditioning. Both he and Hayes looked even fatter than usual early in the year. Hayes got better, but Robinson didn't. If it is "just" conditioning, having a proper offseason, Spring, and Summer should be sufficient. All this is to say, why take an interior OL from the portal?

Maybe OU's going have another OL leave?

Murray and Raym both look better than Robinson when inserted. I still don't know why they continued to role Robinson out there.

Edited by quigley
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

Murray and Raym both look better than Robinson when inserted. I still don't know why they continued to role Robinson out there.

It was insane how much better OU looked when Robinson was out. Raym seems like an ideal C candidate to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, quigley said:

I think closetojumping is right. But Sark erred if he said it about "opt-outs" or transfers. If Sark denigrates players by calling them quitters it'll reflect badly on him and his ability to recruit.

It's also bad look for a dude who broke a contract himself this year.

No. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Bama averaged 70 plays a game last year. Wouldn’t be unreasonable to have a breakdown of something like 

Bijan - 15-18 carries

Gray - 9-13 carries 

Johnson - 4-7 carries 

On the high side of those numbers there, you’re looking at 38 carries.  That still leaves roughly 32 plays for throws, reverses, QB runs, etc.  Also that breaks down (again on the high end and in a 12 game span) 216 carries for Bijan, 156 carries for Gray, and 84 carries for Johnson. 

The question is would a breakdown like that be a big enough draw for Gray.  

How do these numbers compare to when they still had Tua or more mobility at the QB position under Sark? I know we won't be using our fucking QB as a RB2 like the Turtle but I would think if Thompson is QB there will still be a decent number of designed runs (at least a handful of a game) worked in to keep defenses honest. Might cut down on the total available carries some. Just food for thought 

edit: I could be way over estimating the elusiveness and running ability of Thompson as well; freely admit that

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Raym or Murray are supposed to be at C.

Whoever doesn't play C will probably start at RG in place of Robinson, who was subpar for most of 2020. A lot of Robinson's issues looked to be conditioning. Both he and Hayes looked even fatter than usual early in the year. Hayes got better, but Robinson didn't. If it is "just" conditioning, having a proper offseason, Spring, and Summer should be sufficient. All this is to say, why take an interior OL from the portal?

Maybe OU's going have another OL leave?

Did it ever come out if the QB transfer was a scholarship or PWO? I saw people saying it was a scholarship the other day, but in the thread discussing the pitfalls of too many transfers, I don't see him mentioned  

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

How do these numbers compare to when they still had Tua or more mobility at the QB position under Sark? I know we won't be using our fucking QB as a RB2 like the Turtle but I would think if Thompson is QB there will still be a decent number of designed runs (at least a handful of a game) worked in to keep defenses honest. Might cut down on the total available carries some. Just food for thought 

edit: I could be way over estimating the elusiveness and running ability of Thompson as well; freely admit that

In 2019, Tua had 23 carries on the season. This year, Jones ran 35 times on the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Would have been interesting to see how Sark would have handled their backfield in 2018 with 3 clear cut NFL guys. I don't think anyone else in the Bama RB room lived in the same neighborhood as Najee these past 2 seasons

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Did it ever come out if the QB transfer was a scholarship or PWO? I saw people saying it was a scholarship the other day, but in the thread discussing the pitfalls of too many transfers, I don't see him mentioned  

The player himself says he's on scholarship. I haven't seen anything from OU directly yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you guys!
You left one meathead behind, but you got another guy that doesn't understand the mindset of current players. You were on "shock" with the Mike Stoops fiasco and are in "denial" about this.
Just to take it back to where is started, one of you guys was suggesting that the transfer thread be labelled the "quitters" thread.

Fuck me. I’m stupider for spending the last several minutes reading your dipshit posts. Why the fuck are you even on Surly?
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is interesting considering their starter as a freshmen and he was almost the entire offense for the #GoCougs.

Coug boards speculating that Jayden de Laura may be transferring.  If I get any actual details; I'll post them.  

On 1/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, quigley said:

I think closetojumping is right. But Sark erred if he said it about "opt-outs" or transfers. If Sark denigrates players by calling them quitters it'll reflect badly on him and his ability to recruit.

It's also bad look for a dude who broke a contract himself this year.

Not what he said but nice hypothetical strawmen to insult our new coach.

Also he didn’t break a contract but rather finished out the season with his previous team in impressive fashion.

Also, fuck off unwanted $ooner.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, quigley said:

Regardless, you'll have to remind me where I supported Mixon remaining at OU.

Yes, we’re all quite sure you were up in arms about that one. Surely that so offended your lofty ethical ideals that you what? Canceled your season  tickets? Stopped buying blowu gear? Fired off a strongly worded email to Joe C? Mentioned it once at a bar? None of that? Of course.

On 1/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, texifornia said:

Man, ND is flipping a ton of their roster. Another couple of Portal entries on top of the three that came right after the Playoff:

https://247sports.com/Player/Ovie-Oghoufo-81815/

https://247sports.com/Player/Houston-Griffith-75881/

Per Roach, we're looking at potentially adding Oghoufo

So if I'm reading the OU stuff correctly, they might not take Gray because it might lead to Majors transferring, which would potentially leave OU with a RB room heading into the 2022 consisting of Seth McGowan and their 2022 RB class, barring a transfer? 

TFB on Gray

Spoiler

***Tennessee transfer running back, Eric Gray visited Austin and Norman, this past weekend.

***Sources on both sides sound confident. I do get the sense that folks in Norman feel a little stronger about their chances with Gray should they push. I think part of that is because OU has already landed one Tennessee transfer player in Wanya Morris and will likely land another in transfer defensive back, Keshawn Lawrence.

***Additionally, OU doesn’t have a guy named Bijan Robinson in their room.

***However, I think the Sooners are still working out their numbers at each position. Texas, like OU, is still in the running for a high school back. In the case of Texas, it’s LJ Johnson. In the case of OU, it’s Camar Wheaton.

***We don’t know yet if OU will be willing to take two backs. However, we do believe Texas would take both Gray and LJ.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on Gray

Hide contents

***Tennessee transfer running back, Eric Gray visited Austin and Norman, this past weekend.

***Sources on both sides sound confident. I do get the sense that folks in Norman feel a little stronger about their chances with Gray should they push. I think part of that is because OU has already landed one Tennessee transfer player in Wanya Morris and will likely land another in transfer defensive back, Keshawn Lawrence.

***Additionally, OU doesn’t have a guy named Bijan Robinson in their room.

***However, I think the Sooners are still working out their numbers at each position. Texas, like OU, is still in the running for a high school back. In the case of Texas, it’s LJ Johnson. In the case of OU, it’s Camar Wheaton.

***We don’t know yet if OU will be willing to take two backs. However, we do believe Texas would take both Gray and LJ.

Man, OU seems like they take a boatload of transfers ever single year. I know they’ve been going light on HS recruits the last two years, but numbers still have to be very tight for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Man, OU seems like they take a boatload of transfers ever single year. I know they’ve been going light on HS recruits the last two years, but numbers still have to be very tight for them. 

Keep in mind they have a lot of guys going out, too. Rambo, Mordecai, Calcaterra off the top of my head.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Keep in mind they have a lot of guys going out, too. Rambo, Mordecai, Calcaterra off the top of my head.

This was the list in Feb of 2020 (from their previous 3 classes 2018/2019/2020) and it's grown since with Sermon, Rambo, Mordecai, Calcaterra, Conyers, Pledger, Morris   ::

Gone/Retired/Portal : 
Tatum
Draper
Jackson
Moore
Roberson
Robinson
Edwards
Baldwin
Taylor
Perkins
Green
DeArman
Hurts
Proctor

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right but that doesn’t change that the 25 signees rule. I’m not talking about the 85 man roster limit. 

They only have 16 2021 commits as of right now. Plus Morris and Bowens. So I guess they still have 7 to play with. 

Were there no waivers or exemptions put in place by the NCAA for covid? i.e. could you go over 25 if you had, say, 15 guys transfer out?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They only have 16 2021 commits as of right now. Plus Morris and Bowens. So I guess they still have 7 to play with. 

Were there no waivers or exemptions put in place by the NCAA for covid? i.e. could you go over 25 if you had, say, 15 guys transfer out?

Nope. No changes to the 25 signees rule and the problem with taking so many transfers (and having so many guys transfer out) is the transfers only stay 1-2 years, so if you take as many transfers as they do each year, then you get to a point where you’re struggling to even have 85 scholarship players on your roster. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. No changes to the 25 signees rule and the problem with taking so many transfers (and having so many guys transfer out) is the transfers only stay 1-2 years, so if you take as many transfers as they do each year, then you get to a point where you’re struggling to even have 85 scholarship players on your roster. 

It's a strange route to go considering the talent they can pull out of high school. These transfers aren't all gems.

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I knew we had to be missing something so I turned to Google. There are a few ways to get around the 25 cap 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/31/14348104/college-football-recruiting-class-limits-national-signing-day

It's also, just doing the math, not really an issue unless you go really low for a couple of years. Like... fewer guys than OU would ever sign. 

For example - OU had 28 guys count towards their 2020 class - but not all of those players counted towards the 2020 scholarship limit.

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I knew we had to be missing something so I turned to Google. There are a few ways to get around the 25 cap 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/31/14348104/college-football-recruiting-class-limits-national-signing-day

It's also, just doing the math, not really an issue unless you go really low for a couple of years. Like... fewer guys than OU would ever sign. 

That article is old, gray and blue shirting loopholes have been closed. The only work around is you can count a max of 5 EE back to the previous class if you have room. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right but that doesn’t change that the 25 signees rule. I’m not talking about the 85 man roster limit. 

Good Point !!!

Yeah, been wondering what kinda calculus equations Riley "The Rocket Scientist" has been using to make all of these inbound transfers work ???

14 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

That article is old, gray and blue shirting loopholes have been closed. The only work around is you can count a max of 5 EE back to the previous class if you have room. 

Thanks. That's still a significant work around. You'd have to have back to back classes of significantly less than 20 freshman signees before it might get dicey. 

OU has had 23, 24 and 23 kids out of high school the past 3 years. They should be fine. As I mentioned upthread they wound up with 28 in last year's cycle. Even if they stay below 20 for 2021 they could take up to 30 in 2022 (apparently there's no limit if Fud is right below)

*they also had zero transfers in 2018. I went all the way back to 2017 - the math checks out to me. They are CERTAINLY hitting that 25 number every year over that 4 year stretch, though. 

Edited by ztejas

12 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

There's no max of 5 EEs. There's no real max at all of counting back EEs, except for 25 total I suppose. 

51 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This was the list in Feb of 2020 (from their previous 3 classes 2018/2019/2020) and it's grown since with Sermon, Rambo, Mordecai, Calcaterra, Conyers, Pledger, Morris   ::

Gone/Retired/Portal : 
Tatum
Draper
Jackson
Moore
Roberson
Robinson
Edwards
Baldwin
Taylor
Perkins
Green
DeArman
Hurts
Proctor

Is there a list of their incoming transfers from over the past 3-4 years? Their 247 recruiting page doesn't keep track of them correctly

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

For example - OU had 28 guys count towards their 2020 class - but not all of those players counted towards the 2020 scholarship limit.

15 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Yeah, you can back count, but that would only really allow you to sign an extra 5 guys over 4 years, so they’re still very limited roster-wise when you take 7+ JUCOs and transfers every year like they’ve been doing for the last few classes. Those guys only last 1-2 years and then you have attrition from the HS guys you take on top of that, so it gets to a point where you struggle to get 85 scholarship players on your roster. 

Their strategy requires really vetting the HS guys they take and hitting on some walk ons who they can then put on scholarship after two years.