2021 transfer thread

Machinator

If we land Davis, we'll have a DE/OLB room of Thornton, Bimage, Davis, Jones, ND guy, Dorbah and whichever newcomers and if they decide to play Ojomo/Collins at the position some.  May not be a dominant player out of the bunch, but it's a serviceable group that can be rotated and stay fresh and produce IMO.

Add in the interior with Coburn, Sweat, Collins, Ojomo, Broughton, and Warren??  we have a lot of good players up front.

I'd still like to land a quality OL guy if one becomes available after teams get done with spring ball. 

An off the ball LB would be nice as well if we can find one, but if one of Ford/Gbenda/Tillman can step up this spring then it becomes less of a concern.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

OLB, according to 247

https://247sports.com/player/ben-davis-64419/

Here's his Bama profile. Didn't appear to get much traction over 5 years at Bama.

https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/ben-davis/6314

Damn #10 player in the nation. And look at that peer group - what a class. Nick Bosa, Rahsan Gary, Dexter Lawrence, Little, Derrick Brown, Ed Oliver, Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is an incredibly down way to phrase it. Definitely a roster hole, but filling it with three guys, two of whom were on last year's Playoff rosters and two of whom were championship backups is a good fucking way to fix things.

Totally fair. More of an indictment of the shit sandwich the previous d staff (Orlando’s) left this team with.

A+ job by the current staff to work to get the issue fixed. We may not end up with a badass rush end regardless but you’re never gonna find many of those guys floating around in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is what IT has to say about the Davis add:

Spoiler

TEXAS IS EXPECTED TO ADD A FORMER 5-STAR

Ben Davis was the #10 nationally ranked player in the 2016 class. Out of Portho, AL, he unsurprisingly chose to stay in-state.

Things have not worked out for the linebacker due to injuries and lack of positional clarity. At Bama, even if you’re a five-star, you can get lost in the shuffle in a hurry. He’s expected to finish his career as a graduate transfer at Texas.

While the 6-foot-4, 240-pounder didn’t have a great fit at Bama as an ILB, he’ll potentially have two good ones in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense. He could play the X-backer, the Jack-backer, or potentially both depending on the situation. He may even get a practice or two at ILB.

With a little time on the job, Steve Sarkisian, Kyle Flood, and Jeff Banks, have an idea of what they have on the roster, and also what they don’t. Davis is viewed as another option to help bolster the edge rush.

This staff has been proactive, already adding Ray Thornton from LSU who is working hard in Austin, and Ovie Oghoufo from Notre Dame who is set to join the program after the semester. Like Oghoufo, Davis is expected once Bama’s semester is completed.

At a minimum, adding real experience from winning programs (both Thornton and Davis have rings) at a need position is a big plus. But encouragingly, each guy offers some real upside at the position, and will allow Kwiatkowski to deploy two OLB’s more often in the pass-happy Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm a little surprised we're using 3 signees spots on OLBs this year, but I guess that shows you how the staff feels about our current edge rushers. I'm glad they're being proactive and you have to think that between our 3 new transfers and guys like Bimage, Jones, Dorbah we can put together at least a competent OLB rotation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm a little surprised we're using 3 signees spots on OLBs this year, but I guess that shows you how the staff feels about our current edge rushers. I'm glad they're being proactive and you have to think that between our 3 new transfers and guys like Bimage, Jones, Dorbah we can put together at least a competent OLB rotation. 

Definitely seems like the thinnest position on defense, I bet dorbah is at least another year away from being a contributor and who knows what to think with bimage taking a year off

9 hours ago, Fud said:

Three of our additions are from the 2016 class (Dunn, Davis, Thornton), which means they're sixth year guys. We're adding a couple of grown ass men. 

It also means they don't count against the 85 number. 25 counter yes. Not that the 85 number is a big thing right now.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It also means they don't count against the 85 number. 25 counter yes. Not that the 85 number is a big thing right now.

No, they have to be with the same school as the previous year to not count against the 85

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Definitely seems like the thinnest position on defense, I bet dorbah is at least another year away from being a contributor and who knows what to think with bimage taking a year off

I’m still a little confused, is the idea that two of the “OLB” types will be on the field at the same time, or will there be an opposite field more traditional DE? Or am I just making a classic 3-4 vs. 4-3 over complication? 

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

With how aggressively they identified edge rushers as a weak spot and added guys I’m hoping (probably naively) that they looked at the pieces on the OL and decided that they feel comfortable enough with what they have to work with they didn’t need to be as aggressive chasing transfers there.

I’d still like to land another quality OL obviously but it doesn’t seem like they are looking to add a body for the sake of it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’m still a little confused, is the idea that two of the “OLB” types will be on the field at the same time, or will there be an opposite field more traditional DE? Or am I just making a classic 3-4 vs. 4-3 over complication? 

He runs a 2-4-5 base, so the base defense uses 2 OLBs as edge defenders, but he’s also pretty versatile so he uses a 3 man DL sometimes too. 

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

With how aggressively they identified edge rushers as a weak spot and added guys I’m hoping (probably naively) that they looked at the pieces on the OL and decided that they feel comfortable enough with what they have to work with they didn’t need to be as aggressive chasing transfers there.

I’d still like to land another quality OL obviously but it doesn’t seem like they are looking to add a body for the sake of it.  

I think our OL room has enough talent to have a solid OL next year. Having said that, if a good transfer OL becomes available, I’d hope we go after him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

Our OL has been shitty at run blocking, pass blocking, or both since [checks notes] 2006. Flood might be my favorite hire on this staff (Gia notwithstanding), but I’d be pushing for just about every OL transfer with good tape or plus measurables.

We have talent on the OL. Coaching was the issue last year. Hand didn’t come anywhere close to playing his best 5 OL at any point last season. 

7 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Davis also was an ILB to start his career and that’s how Bo recruited him. I would see if he could get Mitchell to quit for good. I would be happy to never see Mitchell in a UT uniform ever again.

He's moody and not the brightest bulb but no reason to run off experienced depth.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wizlon said:

The post on Clemson 247.

Spoiler

Dabo Swinney dismisses Derion Kendrick from team

AnnaLHickey

Clemson247 received official confirmation on Sunday morning that Clemson starting cornerback and senior Derion Kendrick was dismissed by Dabo Swinney. Kendrick missed multiple games during the 2020 season for disciplinary reasons and we're told that it's been much of the same behavior-wise for Kendrick in 2021. Swinney had enough. 

After Clemson's win over Pittsburgh in late November in which Kendrick did not play, Swinney told the media that Kendrick was in the "love shack." 

"We just didn't play him today," Swinney said. "Some people might say he's in the dog house. I like to say he's in the love shack. Just a little discipline. I love DK. He's one of my favorites, actually. Just put him in the love shack this weekend."

Thus in 2021, Clemson will field Mario Goodrich, Andrew Booth, Sheridan Jones, Fred Davis, Malcolm Greene, and midyear freshman Nate Wiggins at the position. 

Kendrick made the decision to return to school for a fourth year back in January in order to boost his 2022 NFL Draft appeal. It was a decision that was rather unexpected as most people anticipated Kendrick entering the 2021 NFL Draft. 

He has started for the Tigers the past two seasons at cornerback and was slated to start again in 2021. He began his Clemson career at wide receiver before making the switch to defense after his freshman season. 

Kendrick is a former five-star prospect and hails from South Pointe (S.C.) Rock Hill. 

Per his Clemson Athletics bio on Clemson's website, Kendrick entered 2021 having played a total of 1,354 combined snaps from scrimmage at cornerback and wide receiver in 39 career games (23 starts) and having been credited with 71 tackles (4.0 for loss), 12 pass breakups, three interceptions (including one returned 38 yards for a touchdown), one sack and one fumble recovery (returned 66 yards for a touchdown).

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Super talented but he’s been a head case/trouble the entire time at Clemson, probably should’ve gone to the draft instead of staying. 

He should have definitely declared. Now, there is more stigma attached to him and the NFL is going to shy away a round or two.

From Clemson's website: Versatile athlete who enters 2021 having played a total of 1,354 combined snaps from scrimmage at cornerback and wide receiver in 39 career games (23 starts) and having been credited with 71 tackles (4.0 for loss), 12 pass breakups, three interceptions (including one returned 38 yards for a touchdown), one sack and one fumble recovery (returned 66 yards for a touchdown). Also recorded 15 career receptions for 210 yards and has returned 15 career kickoffs an average of 23.3 yards from 2018-19.

Edited by Bevo