2021 transfer thread

Machinator

54 minutes ago, golfclap said:

OU was my first thought because of Eaton.

I'd guess that TCU, SMU, and likely Baylor will be in the mix as well. Rogers has elite athleticism but it sounds like he got passed up by most of the incoming FR on the depth chart at Florida. He needs to be smart and patient and pick a place that is willing to teach him and develop him behind the 2-deep but it sounds like he's unwilling to do that and it sounds like he's not ready for playing time. He's the kind of guy Akina would've turned into a day one NFL draft pick and If Gonzales can get him at TCU and talk him into playing FS, he'll turn him into a 1st rounder. 

Farrell says Texas has already reached out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

OU was my first thought because of Eaton.

I'd guess that TCU, SMU, and likely Baylor will be in the mix as well. Rogers has elite athleticism but it sounds like he got passed up by most of the incoming FR on the depth chart at Florida. He needs to be smart and patient and pick a place that is willing to teach him and develop him behind the 2-deep but it sounds like he's unwilling to do that and it sounds like he's not ready for playing time. He's the kind of guy Akina would've turned into a day one NFL draft pick and If Gonzales can get him at TCU and talk him into playing FS, he'll turn him into a 1st rounder. 

I liked him a lot coming out of HS, and I’d be happy to see us get him, but you’re right that he’d need to be ok with developing for a year or two and his quick transfer indicates that might not be the case. 

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Opted out of 2020 after 3 games and 22 tackles. Was a starter. Miles says it's a personal issue that prompted the opt-out, family specifically. He's from Kaufman, so watch TCU and SMU depending on grades. Grad transfer. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Opted out of 2020 after 3 games and 22 tackles. Was a starter. Miles says it's a personal issue that prompted the opt-out, family specifically. He's from Kaufman, so watch TCU and SMU depending on grades. Grad transfer. 

I think it's because he had a kid

Normally don't like to post Farrell trash, but he had a few interesting notes in the transfer piece this morning

Spoiler

Xavier Worthy from California, was in the news when he didn’t enroll for spring football and there was some talk of him wanting out of his National Letter of Intent so he could transfer to Texas. As of right now, however, Worthy is still on track to join the Michigan program for summer workouts. Worthy is a class of 2021 signee.

Class of 2020 Florida signee Jahari Rogers hails from Texas and, with his size and athleticism, he will be popular. Word has it he wants to be closer to home so Texas Tech and Texas are interesting as both have jumped in early.

West Virginia All-American safety Tykee Smith entered the portal last week and things have exploded since. Penn State and Georgia were immediately considered the front-runners because he is from Pennsylvania, and his former position coach at West Virginia, Jahmile Addae, is now coaching for the Bulldogs. Smith has had Zoom meetings with Penn State, Mississippi State and South Carolina already and is setting one up with Auburn. He wants to enroll somewhere in May for summer conditioning. His former teammate at West Virginia, Dreshun Miller, chose Auburn so there is a connection there.

If I had to guess right now the leaders would be Penn State, Georgia and Auburn but barring a surprise this will go on for a bit. Texas, Florida, Washington, NC State, Notre Dame, Indiana, Georgia Tech, UCF and others have also reached out. Texas is especially interesting because the Longhorns mentioned to Smith that they think the NCAA could pass intra-conference transfer allowance without penalty which is the opposite of what I heard from an SEC source.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Texas is especially interesting because the Longhorns mentioned to Smith that they think the NCAA could pass intra-conference transfer allowance without penalty which is the opposite of what I heard from an SEC source.

#LincolnRileyMad 

• Hook 'Em 2

I will agree it has too much freedom.  

Make it to where everyone has one free pass to transfer without sitting a year. You can use it at anytime, but once your one is used, you get 0 more, regardless of situation (playing time, coach leaving, etc). Make it to where if you enter your name in the portal, you cannot return to where you are attempting to transfer from, the scholarship you have immediately becomes vacant.  If you put your name in and don’t get picked up, sorry about you. 

I also wouldn’t hate seeing a baseball type rule of no age restriction on entering the draft out of HS but you have to stay a minimum of 2 years if you do go to college. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I will agree it has too much freedom.  

Make it to where everyone has one free pass to transfer without sitting a year. You can use it at anytime, but once your one is used, you get 0 more, regardless of situation (playing time, coach leaving, etc). Make it to where if you enter your name in the portal, you cannot return to where you are attempting to transfer from, the scholarship you have immediately becomes vacant.  If you put your name in and don’t get picked up, sorry about you. 

I also wouldn’t hate seeing a baseball type rule of no age restriction on entering the draft out of HS but you have to stay a minimum of 2 years if you do go to college. 

If coaches can leave without having to sit out for a year, players should be able to as well. There's really nothing more to it.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If coaches can leave without having to sit out for a year, players should be able to as well. There's really nothing more to it.

Eh.  It’s a similar arrangement they’ll make in the pros with a contact offer.  NBA coaches can leave at any point whereas an NBA player is bound to a contract tighter than a coach is. 

The reason Dicky V is saying anything is cause the days of Jr and Sr lead superstar teams of the 80s and 90s are dead.  It’s not the same game he’s always been around. With kids being the way they are and not wanting to wait for anything, the portal will turn into free agency. With that ability and getting NCAA paid soon, CBB becomes watered down with no one to remember from last years team.  Kids leaving cause they they played 20 mpg and not 25 like they thought they would and sorry coach but school X is gonna get me paid more. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Eh.  It’s a similar arrangement they’ll make in the pros with a contact offer.  NBA coaches can leave at any point whereas an NBA player is bound to a contract tighter than a coach is. 

The reason Dicky V is saying anything is cause the days of Jr and Sr lead superstar teams of the 80s and 90s are dead.  It’s not the same game he’s always been around. With kids being the way they are and not wanting to wait for anything, the portal will turn into free agency. With that ability and getting NCAA paid soon, CBB becomes watered down with no one to remember from last years team.  Kids leaving cause they they played 20 mpg and not 25 like they thought they would and sorry coach but school X is gonna get me paid more. 

Just my 2 cents. 

All of that is true. It's all fine and well. But change is inevitable. College basketball will become a mercenary amateur league.

I still yearn for the 80s-90s era NBA because I grew up with that and the competition was truly amazing. I think hand checking should be allowed and foul shots should be earned. 

It doesn't make a shit. The NBA dun changed and unless something insanely crazy happens, we will never experience the style of those golden years again.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Mitchell as well it looks like. What is policy if a player enters portal and no one picks them up?

Does UT have to take them back?

The university doesn't have to take them back but it should take them back. However, that is to the university. Under no circumstances would you be forced to allow them back on the team. In the case of Mitchell, it is very straightforward. If he isn't picked up and he wants to remain at UT, that is fine (although his grades probably wouldn't allow it) - Maybe the coach would help him find a loophole and go fake medical. Otherwise, he wouldn't be given a scholarship and wouldn't be allowed around the team because he is a cancer.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, pacman said:

The guy makes something like $3 million dollars, to yell like a mindless idiot...dooshbag

That mindless idiot is a big reason why college basketball is as popular as it is today. I understand young people thinking like you do

but once upon a time, the hoops landscape was much different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1