2021 transfer thread

Machinator

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Not sure if he's good enough to take over someone like Ben Davis, Worthy, or Paleo Goat. Guess we'll see. Still don't' see anything on OU sites about him. 

This makes our game vs Arkansas a little easier, at the very least; he's supposed to be their second best WR and arguably second best skill player on offense 

Is he clearly better than Washington and Moore? I know he has had great production in college. Basically, what I am asking is if he clearly will lock down a spot or if he will be another guy to throw into the mix (like a better version of Black/Schooler)? Is he a difference maker?

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is he clearly better than Washington and Moore? I know he has had great production in college. Basically, what I am asking is if he clearly will lock down a spot or if he will be another guy to throw into the mix (like a better version of Black/Schooler)? Is he a difference maker?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super K on Woods

Spoiler

Arkansas wide receiver, Mike Woods is in the portal as a graduate transfer. He’s a native of Magnolia, TX. From what I’ve heard, he’s quite talented.

I surmise Texas will pursue. I will say that, I’m getting the strong sense the Sooners are in the best position for him.

More on this if it becomes more relevant. For now, just something to watch.

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

JFC, how are we bumping up against the 25 man limit but Lincoln added 1/3 of Tenn's roster and they are still in play for every new guy that hits the portal?

They only signed 16 non-transfers in 2021, whereas we signed 21, plus Schooler and Dunn count as 2021 signees for us.  So by the end of the summer, we may end up signing 7-8 transfers for 2021, which could end up being more than OU.  Credit to Reilly for roster planning and deciding to go all in on Rattler's third year.  We probably would've been better off taking less guys for 2021, but it's not like Sark was in charge that whole time.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Credit to Reilly for roster planning and deciding to go all in on Rattler's third year. 

I'd only give partial credit though. I mean, the attrition from the 2018 class has driven OU to need guys to go directly on to the 2-deep so it's a bit of necessity to go to the portal and it's a gamble because that small 2021 class is going to have to have a really high hit-rate for those 2023-2025 seasons and there are several guys that are projects in that class. There's already been some attrition from that 2020 class and while it's early if it ends up like the 2018 class they are going to have to tap dance between recruiting numbers and transfers over and over and the previous guys that came from the portal and JUCO have had a really low hit rate. (not discussing the QBs)

Perrion Winfrey has been really good.

Chris Murray was meh-ish once he got his eligibility. Ellison is a warm body, barely. 

Howard, Grant, Obialo, Harrington. All taking up spots and delivering nothing. 

Wanya Morris might have been a 5* at one point but he was not good when I saw him and a quick search shows that his PFF grade at the midway point of last season was a 52.3 Lawrence barely played on a team that was wet garbage and had pretty terrible S play. Granted, all he has to do is be better than Pat Fields which is a fucking LOW bar. Gray is going to be really good but I wouldn't have traded Gray for Sermon and Pledger given the option. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

CJ Vogel at TFB has also heard that OU is the favorite for Woods.

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

With the timing I think it's pretty clear that Saint Riley was doing some tampering recruiting that led to Woods portal. 

There’s also a pretty strong argument to be made that Texas has an angle on two better WR transfers plus Gaotorade, Ovie-O, and Davis, so they can’t full court press him anyway. I guess we’ll see if Worthy and WRX both come to fruition. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Drumm

*** I have been doing some digging around on what OU might do at the WR position and was told, “Arkansas WR transfer Mike Woods is a guy that there is mutual interest in OU and him and in the Sooners.”

Woods fits what Oklahoma needs at WR right now and a source told me, “Yes, there has been talks between the two and if he chose OU he would be coming into a perfect situation.”

This is in the beginning stages, but I could see this thing becoming a reality in the next week or so if both sides feel it’s best for each other.

Something to watch for sure.

More Drumm on Woods

Spoiler

Just another quick update on Arkansas transfer WR Mike Woods. Sources tell me that Woods is doing a Zoom/FaceTime with the Sooners this evening. I know we have heard South Carolina is a player for Woods, but people I talk with seem to think that the Sooners have excellent QB play from starter to backups and that is what the former Arkansas Razorback is looking for, according to a few sources.

At QB, the Sooners have pre-season leading Heisman Candidate Spencer Rattler and five-star/top overall 2021 QB, Caleb Williams, as the main two QBs for Oklahoma. When you add former Penn State transfer QB Micah Bowens to the discussion, that gives the Sooners arguably one of the deepest QB rooms in all of college football.

The Sooners also have a need at WR, and several openings, with the likelihood of Trejan Bridges, at the very least, missing time in 2021 due to his ongoing investigation. There are some solid sources that I have spoken with, that seem to think Bridges return to OU is unlikely at this time -- even if charges are never filled, etc. We will wait till the investigation is complete, however, before we jump to that conclusion.

Oklahoma also has WR Theo Wease out for the spring with a lower leg injury and obviously, the removal of Obi Obialo from the Oklahoma roster will be discussed by Lincoln Riley at the next presser that he is in attendance. Those three, along with the multiple transfers, have the Sooners looking for a potential major upgrade in the transfer portal and the former Hog fits that description with his ability to stretch the field and make big plays.

We will dig around and see about some of the South Carolina talks in regards to Woods, but sources I talk to this afternoon seem to feel like the Sooners and Lincoln Riley are in a solid spot to pickup Woods out of the portal if things continue to move in the right direction and both sides see it as a good fit.

We will update you all when we get more information.

I will also have some interesting Braylin Presley news that pertains to the Sooners tomorrow. The Bixby (OK) star is committing tomorrow at 530 pm and it most definitely won't be the Sooners without an offer extended to the OKPreps star, but there is some news you will find interesting on the Presley front tomorrow, so stay tuned to all of that and more.

17 hours ago, Fud said:

Drumm

*** I have been doing some digging around on what OU might do at the WR position and was told, “Arkansas WR transfer Mike Woods is a guy that there is mutual interest in OU and him and in the Sooners.”

Woods fits what Oklahoma needs at WR right now and a source told me, “Yes, there has been talks between the two and if he chose OU he would be coming into a perfect situation.”

This is in the beginning stages, but I could see this thing becoming a reality in the next week or so if both sides feel it’s best for each other.

Something to watch for sure.

The "source" is a high school coach that is helping OU coordinate Woods' transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

More Drumm on Woods

Hide contents

Just another quick update on Arkansas transfer WR Mike Woods. Sources tell me that Woods is doing a Zoom/FaceTime with the Sooners this evening. I know we have heard South Carolina is a player for Woods, but people I talk with seem to think that the Sooners have excellent QB play from starter to backups and that is what the former Arkansas Razorback is looking for, according to a few sources.

At QB, the Sooners have pre-season leading Heisman Candidate Spencer Rattler and five-star/top overall 2021 QB, Caleb Williams, as the main two QBs for Oklahoma. When you add former Penn State transfer QB Micah Bowens to the discussion, that gives the Sooners arguably one of the deepest QB rooms in all of college football.

The Sooners also have a need at WR, and several openings, with the likelihood of Trejan Bridges, at the very least, missing time in 2021 due to his ongoing investigation. There are some solid sources that I have spoken with, that seem to think Bridges return to OU is unlikely at this time -- even if charges are never filled, etc. We will wait till the investigation is complete, however, before we jump to that conclusion.

Oklahoma also has WR Theo Wease out for the spring with a lower leg injury and obviously, the removal of Obi Obialo from the Oklahoma roster will be discussed by Lincoln Riley at the next presser that he is in attendance. Those three, along with the multiple transfers, have the Sooners looking for a potential major upgrade in the transfer portal and the former Hog fits that description with his ability to stretch the field and make big plays.

We will dig around and see about some of the South Carolina talks in regards to Woods, but sources I talk to this afternoon seem to feel like the Sooners and Lincoln Riley are in a solid spot to pickup Woods out of the portal if things continue to move in the right direction and both sides see it as a good fit.

We will update you all when we get more information.

I will also have some interesting Braylin Presley news that pertains to the Sooners tomorrow. The Bixby (OK) star is committing tomorrow at 530 pm and it most definitely won't be the Sooners without an offer extended to the OKPreps star, but there is some news you will find interesting on the Presley front tomorrow, so stay tuned to all of that and more.

Gotta love how Drumm spends the update going on about back up qbs this guy will never play with as if they have influence in a decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, golfclap said:

- I'd only give partial credit though. I mean, the attrition from the 2018 class has driven OU to need guys...

- Guys that came from the portal and JUCO have had a really low hit rate. (not discussing the QBs)

- Perrion Winfrey has been really good.

- Chris Murray was meh-ish once he got his eligibility. Ellison is a warm body, barely. 

- Howard, Grant, Obialo, Harrington. All taking up spots and delivering nothing. 

- Wanya Morris, Lawrence

- "wouldn't trade" Gray for Sermon and Pledger given the option. 

I detailed the washout of the 2018 and the weird cycle of WR recruiting at OU earlier and agree with the data presented in the recent posts.

Understanding the lousy state of the 2018 class, I think OU's done a reasonable job of patching the holes, except at WR. The burnouts from 2018 were concentrated in the WR, DL, and DB. The DL and DB are in the best shape it's been in a decade.

The real issue with WR group at this point is the washout of consecutive classes. None of the 5-stars from the 2019 class have been even good. Bridges is out, Haselwood has been hurt a lot, and Wease has been ineffective and may tranfer. None of them is particularly quick or fast actually.

I disagree with with characterization that OU's hasn't done well with transfers if you consider injuries.

Grading system: 0-no impact/didn't play, 1-subpar performance, 2-average, 3-good

OL Sway - 0

RB Stevenson - 3
OL Felix - 0
OL Proctor - 1, but he played a lot so it tells you something was wrong
QB Hurts - 3

DL Winfrey - 3
DB Harrington - 0, TBD - apparently he's still tall, quick and fast so may end up starting for OU at nickel or safety this year
DL Ellison - 2, he was better than many (really most) of the DT's OU's had on the field over the last several
OL Murray - 2, he was better than Robinson when he played
WR Obialo - 0
WR Howard - 1, really good for UCLA; injured as soon as he got to Norman; would take every time

OU recruited Morris and Lawrence hard, and the coaches likely think they can get more out of them than the TN coaches.

Sermon > Gray >> Pledger
(Breece Hall over all of them)

• Hook 'Em 1

At a bare minimum, I think we have room for 4 more transfers.

Texas took 21 in the 2020 class. 20 HS + Black as a transfer. 

Currently Texas has 25 counters for the 2021 class. 21 HS + Schooler + Thornton + Dunn + Oghoufo. We have more than EE to fill the remaining 4 spots from the previous class.

Davis is one.

Worthy is likely another.

We hope Gaoteote is the 3rd.

Meaning there is likely 1 more spot available currently.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Currently Texas has 25 counters for the 2021 class. 21 HS + Schooler + Thornton + Dunn + Oghoufo. We have more than EE to fill the remaining 4 spots from the previous class.

Davis is one.

I think you're off by one

Mitchell update

Linebacker Juwan Mitchell from Texas has seen things pick up recently. He led the Longhorns in tackles last season, and Kansas State and Temple have been involved from the start, with the Wildcats receiving a visit to campus.

But recently several additional schools have been in contact, with Miami and Tennessee leading the way. At this time it is the ‘Canes who have turned up their level of interest the most.

https://n.rivals.com/news/the-rumor-mill-transfer-tracker-8

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Davis is one.

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think you're off by one

We will unify all of physics and cure cancer before we unravel the mysteries of football scholarship numbers.

Edited by Bevo14

Starting with 2017, because we took 27 and 29 in the prior two classes so presumably there's nothing to count back with

2017- 18 signees plus 1 transfer makes 19 counters, with room for 6 (25-19=6) in the next class to count backwards with if needed

2018- 27 signees plus 2 transfers makes 29, count 6 back to the previous class to make 23, which puts us 2 under the 25, leaving room for 2 in the next class

2019- 27 signees, no room for the next class to count back with

2020- 20 signees, I'll go ahead and add the 5 transfers that've made it to campus (Black, Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton) to this since they either happened in this class or can be counted back) to make 25, which means no extra room for the next class to count back with

2021- 21 signees, with room for 4 going forward 

• Hook 'Em 1

On other players he might be looking to add
"We’ve really got four spots still available for us. The nature of college football right now, with the transfer portal and the things going on with a potential one-time transfer rule coming down the road, we wanted to make sure we left ourselves enough wiggle room and versatility to get through spring ball and maybe address a few more needs that may come down the road."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

We will unify all of physics and cure cancer before we unravel the mysteries of football scholarship numbers.

image.png.1cd3685476d57f688434ad4060d179dd.png

(Interesting article ... https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/an-awkward-coexistence-on-campus.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/an-awkward-coexistence-on-campus.html )

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Starting with 2017, because we took 27 and 29 in the prior two classes so presumably there's nothing to count back with

2017- 18 signees plus 1 transfer makes 19 counters, with room for 6 (25-19=6) in the next class to count backwards with if needed

2018- 27 signees plus 2 transfers makes 29, count 6 back to the previous class to make 23, which puts us 2 under the 25, leaving room for 2 in the next class

2019- 27 signees, no room for the next class to count back with

2020- 20 signees, I'll go ahead and add the 5 transfers that've made it to campus (Black, Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton) to this since they either happened in this class or can be counted back) to make 25, which means no extra room for the next class to count back with

2021- 21 signees, with room for 4 going forward 

Watson is the one I was missing. For some reason I thought he came as a walkon and not a scholarship player using a counter, as I was going by the 247 class listings and Watson wasn't counted as a transfer.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Fud said:

On other players he might be looking to add
"We’ve really got four spots still available for us. The nature of college football right now, with the transfer portal and the things going on with a potential one-time transfer rule coming down the road, we wanted to make sure we left ourselves enough wiggle room and versatility to get through spring ball and maybe address a few more needs that may come down the road."

I wonder if he is already including Oghoufo or not. I forget when the timing of his announcement was made.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I wonder if he is already including Oghoufo or not. I forget when the timing of his announcement was made.

He wasn't

It should be Ovie + 3 more, but Saban seemingly finds ways around the rules, and I'm sure Sark is looking to do the same if he needs to 

27 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

@SydneyCarton this your guy?

Based on the comment below by CTJ, directly talking about Woods, it would appear he is NOT this mysterious WRX. Also if Woods was the guy, and they were in the loop enough to know he was considering the portal before even Arkansas Insiders learned of it, they would also likely have known he was a hard OU lean out the gate and wouldn't be hyping it up as possible. 

On 4/20/2021 at 1:07 PM, closetojumping said:

There’s also a pretty strong argument to be made that Texas has an angle on two better WR transfers plus Gaotorade, Ovie-O, and Davis, so they can’t full court press him anyway. I guess we’ll see if Worthy and WRX both come to fruition. 

9 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Based on the comment below by CTJ, directly talking about Woods, it would appear he is NOT this mysterious WRX. Also if Woods was the guy, and they were in the loop enough to know he was considering the portal before even Arkansas Insiders learned of it, they would also likely have known he was a hard OU lean out the gate and wouldn't be hyping it up as possible. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5104974

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, pretty odd to offer a NT when we seem deep and talented there and numbers are getting tight. The only thing I can think of is maybe Sweat had some kind of setback in his rehab?

Probably more "offer the best best players available" than concerns about Sweat, imo