2021 transfer thread

Machinator

Jones was a pleasant surprise at LT; was easily the best OL. While they had a couple of fuck ups, Majors and Karic are ascending and just need more S&C and reps.

The biggest concerns are the guard spots, and our best bets for pushing Okafor and Angilau might be internal; Kerstetter will return and maybe could play guard or push Karic inside, Tope actually looked good at RT and maybe could play guard or push Karic inside, and maybe the young guys like Hookfin or Tyler Johnson could emerge 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Jones was a pleasant surprise at LT; was easily the best OL. While they had a couple of fuck ups, Majors and Karic are ascending and just need more S&C and reps.

The biggest concerns are the guard spots, and our best bets for pushing Okafor and Angilau might be internal; Kerstetter will return and maybe could play guard or push Karic inside, Tope actually looked good at RT and maybe could play guard or push Karic inside, and maybe the young guys like Hookfin or Tyler Johnson could emerge 

I think this could be our starting lineup with Kerstetter gets back:

LT - Jones 6'6 327 lbs

LG - Angilau 6'6 316 lbs

C - Majors 6'3 300 lbs

RG - Karic 6'4 296 lbs

RT - Kerstetter 6'5 300 lbs

With some solid depth that would be allowed to develop.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

38 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

There has to be some Oline guys in the portal better than what’s on campus. Pass protection sucked ass on Saturday. 

The two Tenn guys and the Memphis kid who went to TCU were pretty much it. I’m a little surprised we didn’t go after one of them, but I’m also not sure any of them were clearly better than what we have. 

Post-spring, there’s no one to add at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think this could be our starting lineup with Kerstetter gets back:

LT - Jones 6'6 327 lbs

LG - Angilau 6'6 316 lbs

C - Majors 6'3 300 lbs

RG - Karic 6'4 296 lbs

RT - Kerstetter 6'5 300 lbs

With some solid depth that would be allowed to develop.

Certainly possible but if you believe Sark's comments Okafor was our best lineman in the spring (yeah I know). There is probably some coach speak there for a veteran who is consistent and works hard but he's he's strong as hell and played a lot of college football. Mostly poorly but still. With good coaching and keeping him the hell away from tackle maybe he's finally ready to be a thing. 

If that's the case I guess Karic goes to the bench and is the first guy called at G or T as needed. He was the most common OL splitting their first team reps according to the 9.95ers.

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Certainly possible but if you believe Sark's comments Okafor was our best lineman in the spring (yeah I know). There is probably some coach speak there for a veteran who is consistent and works hard but he's he's strong as hell and played a lot of college football. Mostly poorly but still. With good coaching and keeping him the hell away from tackle maybe he's finally ready to be a thing. 

If that's the case I guess Karic goes to the bench and is the first guy called at G or T as needed. He was the most common OL splitting their first team reps according to the 9.95ers.

True as well...I think with the coaching our guys are getting we'll be a really good offensive line about halfway through the season because there will be the new offense and scheme growing pains early as I'd expect.

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Okafor looked to me to be the worst of the starting five on Saturday. He'll need to improve to keep his job, imo 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The two Tenn guys and the Memphis kid who went to TCU were pretty much it. I’m a little surprised we didn’t go after one of them, but I’m also not sure any of them were clearly better than what we have. 

Post-spring, there’s no one to add at the moment. 

The Tennessee guy who went to Oklahoma is the best of the bunch and will start for them most likely.

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Did Karic get any reps at G on Saturday? He seems like one of those guys that has the athleticism to play T but doesn't have the strength/power to play G (at least at this point in his career).

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

He seems like one of those guys that has the athleticism to play T but doesn't have the strength/power to play G (at least at this point in his career).

Other posters here know OL play better than I do but I think this is right, especially for what Flood prefers in his units. Which is why I'm a little skeptical that he ends up taking Okafor's spot at guard. 

IT on Gaoteote

Spoiler

LB Palaie Gaoteote, USC via Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV):

If you think Texas is done with the portal, think again. The UT staff is constantly looking at ways to upgrade the roster, and they're still digging.

Even after New Mexico State's Devin Richardson committed, UT still wants another linebacker, preferably with inside reps.

When USC's Gaoteote entered the portal on December 7th, 2020, he was looking for a fresh start. As we've reported over the last few weeks, Gaoteote has interest in the Horns, and vice versa.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound former five-star had 105 tackles, including 7.5 for losses for 21 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 11 yards), in his career at SC. He has appeared in 20 games, with 14 starts during his time in LA.

Sources tell IT don't be surprised to see more movement on incoming transfers as Sarkisian tries to shore up his Horns bunch in season one. Sark can't afford a slow start to 2021 and Louisiana-Lafayette and Arkansas will be strong opponents come September.

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP ... 

(Jeff Howe) Source: Texas WR Kennedy Lewis no longer with team

Spoiler

Source: Texas WR Kennedy Lewis no longer with team

Jeff Howe

Texas wide receiver Kennedy Lewis is no longer with the team, a source confirmed to Horns247 on Tuesday. Lewis didn’t participate and wasn’t listed on the roster for Saturday’s spring game, which was the 15th and final practice for the Longhorns under head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Another source told Horns247 that as of Tuesday afternoon, Lewis had yet to appear in the NCAA transfer portal. Lewis returned to the program last summer after serving a suspension from team activities for the spring semester in 2020 but he opted out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns, a source told Horns247.

Horns247’s Chip Brown reported on March 5, 2020 that Lewis was suspended “not only from the football team but from school.”

“Lewis is back home in the Dallas area (Melissa, Texas) taking junior college courses, one source said,” Brown wrote. “But Lewis is expected back at Texas for summer school, the source said.”

The 6-foot-3-inch, 200-pound Lewis played in two games as a true freshman, preserving a season of eligibility by not exceeding four games played. Lewis had a 37-yard reception in the team’s 48-13 win over Rice at NRG Stadium on Sept. 14, 2019, for his first and only career catch as a Longhorn.

Lewis had worked at Z receiver in 2019 behind Brennan Eagles. With personal-best clockings of 10.53 in the 100 meters and 21.98 in the 200 meters in high school, Lewis was expected to bring game-breaking speed to the wide receiver group, but that never came to fruition as his time in the Texas program has come to an end.

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

***I am told that Texas is still in pursuit of USC LB transfer, Palaie Gaoteote.  Was told by folks in the know that landing him would be a slam dunk for Texas. He was not a guy USC wanted to lose. I do wonder if he ends up at Ohio State though. However, last I heard, the Buckeyes were also in the mix for Henry To’oto’o. Was told by a source close to To’oto’o that he is down to Bama and Ohio State. So, I guess, hope for Ohio State?

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

That’s good news based on this from TFB & Super K -

“***I am told that Texas is still in pursuit of USC LB transfer, Palaie Gaoteote.  Was told by folks in the know that landing him would be a slam dunk for Texas. He was not a guy USC wanted to lose. I do wonder if he ends up at Ohio State though. However, last I heard, the Buckeyes were also in the mix for Henry To’oto’o. Was told by a source close to To’oto’o that he is down to Bama and Ohio State. So, I guess, hope for Ohio State?”

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Okcool said:

That’s good news based on this from TFB & Super K -

“***I am told that Texas is still in pursuit of USC LB transfer, Palaie Gaoteote.  Was told by folks in the know that landing him would be a slam dunk for Texas. He was not a guy USC wanted to lose. I do wonder if he ends up at Ohio State though. However, last I heard, the Buckeyes were also in the mix for Henry To’oto’o. Was told by a source close to To’oto’o that he is down to Bama and Ohio State. So, I guess, hope for Ohio State?”

I feel like I've read this before, but I just can't remember where...

• Haha 3

Roach

Spoiler

— A source in California informed me that Texas still sits in the lead position for Palaie Gaoteote. The USC transfer linebacker is still sorting through some options, but there continues to be substantial buzz around the former five-star and the Longhorns. We expect a decision to come within the next few weeks as Gaoteote sorts through his options, but from what I've heard from every source we have close to the situation, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Texas.

— Texas had a call on Monday with Shadrach Banks on Monday. The Texas A&M transfer spoke with the defensive staff about what Texas could offer. TCU is a school that's been rumored as the destination for him, and they are pitching NFL development over the lack of draft picks for Texas. The Longhorns have tried to counteract that with the history of defensive picks Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski developed at Boise State. The Longhorns will keep plugging along in this recruitment trying to bring the former North Shore star into the fold. It is notable that Banks is agreeable to playing on defense at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— A source in California informed me that Texas still sits in the lead position for Palaie Gaoteote. The USC transfer linebacker is still sorting through some options, but there continues to be substantial buzz around the former five-star and the Longhorns. We expect a decision to come within the next few weeks as Gaoteote sorts through his options, but from what I've heard from every source we have close to the situation, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Texas.

— Texas had a call on Monday with Shadrach Banks on Monday. The Texas A&M transfer spoke with the defensive staff about what Texas could offer. TCU is a school that's been rumored as the destination for him, and they are pitching NFL development over the lack of draft picks for Texas. The Longhorns have tried to counteract that with the history of defensive picks Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski developed at Boise State. The Longhorns will keep plugging along in this recruitment trying to bring the former North Shore star into the fold. It is notable that Banks is agreeable to playing on defense at this point.

Do y'all thinking getting Banks would help with Denver?

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

a) Are we 100% sure that Gaoteote has options, and he is currently sorting through them? It's unclear.

b) Are they just talking about Boise State, or wouldn't they talk about Washington as well?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

a) Are we 100% sure that Gaoteote has options, and he is currently sorting through them? It's unclear.

b) Are they just talking about Boise State, or wouldn't they talk about Washington as well?

a) Maybe it's a Ben Davis situation where he's waiting to graduate?

b) Roach could have easily left that out accidentally 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gaoteote was rumored to be interested in Ohio State for some time. I don’t know if the Tennessee linebacker going there would change his mind.

From an A&M poster on Shadrach Banks

Spoiler

this is from our end so take it for what it’s worth. I think he was given the opportunity to play where he wanted and that request would have gone over better had he not shown up out of shape and with a bad attitude. We’ve got some good young LBs so getting PT there might have been a tough road.

from the tcu side of things Stewart and evans have been in his ear for weeks so he likely came to A&M with one foot out the door.

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Would we take both Gaoteote and Banks? That would be three true LBs and three edge guys. 

My advice to you, myself, and the rest of this board is to flat out stop worrying about the numbers. They think they’re getting like 4 more transfers before the fall besides all of the confirmed ones including Ovie-O. It appears one obvious benefit of having a third of Bama’s recent staff on the payroll is that they’ve figured out how to manipulate the roster according to their wants. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From an A&M poster on Shadrach Banks

Hide contents

this is from our end so take it for what it’s worth. I think he was given the opportunity to play where he wanted and that request would have gone over better had he not shown up out of shape and with a bad attitude. We’ve got some good young LBs so getting PT there might have been a tough road.

from the tcu side of things Stewart and evans have been in his ear for weeks so he likely came to A&M with one foot out the door.

I think that poster left out a word or something, because the first paragraph doesn’t make logical sense. Or aggie. 

TCU, fwiw, is talking about having Banks on the roster with certitude behind the scenes. It would be interesting to know the first time TCU staff members started talking to Banks, but I’m guessing whenever it was, it was before his entrance to the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Would we take both Gaoteote and Banks? That would be three true LBs and three edge guys. 

Yes because the LB room (including the X and J positions) empties out after the 2021 season.

Overshown graduates, Gaoteote if healthy is going pro. Thornton and Davis are done, as is Jones.

Leaving Brokermeyer, Bush, Tillman, Gbenda, Ford, Hullaby, Cooks, Blackwell, and an incoming Johnson at LB

At X/J you have Oghoufo, Abiara, Dorbah, Harris, and potentially Sanders.

While the depth looks there, the only guy that flashed consistently in spring practice from that list of names was Gbenda. Dorbah was a distant 2nd.

Wouldn't be shocked if Bush, Ford, and/or Hullaby portal'd.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

...Wouldn't be shocked if Bush, Ford, and/or Hullaby portal'd.

Aren't Bush & Ford PWOs?

Wouldn't they just get their degree and then transfer somewhere they can play with 2-3 years of eligibility remaining? 

Bush: 0.7842, 3,148 Nationally, 148th ILB
Ford: 0.8465, 1,222 Nationally, 81st OLB

I know nothing about Hullaby.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes because the LB room empties out after the 2021 season leaving Brokermeyer, Bush, Tillman, Gbenda, Ford, Hullaby, Cooks, Blackwell, and an incoming Johnson at LB.  At X/J you have Oghoufo, Abiara, Dorbah, Harris, and potentially Sanders.

57ghip.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Aren't Bush & Ford PWOs?

Wouldn't they just get their degree and then transfer somewhere they can play with 2-3 years of eligibility remaining? 

Bush was awarded a scholarship by Herman, and Ford was in the 2020 class. Both are currently on scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Aren't Bush & Ford PWOs?

We flipped Ford from Utah, he's very much a full-ride dude.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes because the LB room (including the X and J positions) empties out after the 2021 season.

Overshown graduates, Gaoteote if healthy is going pro. Thornton and Davis are done, as is Jones.

Leaving Brokermeyer, Bush, Tillman, Gbenda, Ford, Hullaby, Cooks, Blackwell, and an incoming Johnson at LB

At X/J you have Oghoufo, Abiara, Dorbah, Harris, and potentially Sanders.

While the depth looks there, the only guy that flashed consistently in spring practice from that list of names was Gbenda. Dorbah was a distant 2nd.

Forgot Richardson.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We really need to beat Fatterson by 21+.  Road game, so going to be tough.

Could not agree more. There are a lot of bitch-ass teams that Texas needs to put in their rightful places.  
I’m talking “go get your fucking shine box” type of beat downs which need to be administered.  So fucking frustrating.

sorry to digress from topic!

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

This doesn't seem bad to me. That's a lot of talent, albeit unproven (Brokermeyer, Bush, Tillman, Gbenda, Ford, Hullaby, Cooks, Blackwell, and an incoming Johnson at LB)

I think all those guys were on the field during Bijan's run. 7 of them were 20 yards from the play and 2 of them lost their shoes and socks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do y'all thinking getting Banks would help with Denver?

Definitely helps just having Banks leave aggy. Denver looks like he's not in to the cult thing going on at A&M so they appear out now after making his top 4. He and Banks are definitely good friends so even if Banks doesn't come here I think it helps if we're talking with him and keep it positive.

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Definitely helps just having Banks leave aggy. Denver looks like he's not in to the cult thing going on at A&M so they appear out now after making his top 4. He and Banks are definitely good friends so even if Banks doesn't come here I think it helps if we're talking with him and keep it positive.

I never took Denver to A&M talk seriously. It's always felt like Bama vs Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2