2021 transfer thread

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That'd be the best two-deep we've had in a long time and would allow Cooks and Blackwell to Red Shirt.

Question is, how many of Tillman, Ford, or Hullaby hit the portal?  Have to think at least 1 would.

Ford is in line for a lot of playing time this fall, regardless of who transfers into the program, I'd think. Hullaby might also still have a red shirt option to him if Covid gave him the option. Tillman has had some bad luck, but last we checked he looked like a good fit physically and athletically. But my money would be on him, if you had to put a gun to my head. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That'd be the best two-deep we've had in a long time and would allow Cooks and Blackwell to Red Shirt.

Question is, how many of Tillman, Ford, or Hullaby hit the portal?  Have to think at least 1 would.

Eh. None of those three would be a huge loss. I like Hullaby’s upside, but it would be worth the sacrifice to bring in Richardson and Paleo Goat.

The real question would be if Gbenda stays if either of the new guys come in and steal his spot. Cooks and Blackwell are young so I doubt it would affect them. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The real question would be if Gbenda stays if either of the new guys come in and steal his spot.

I thought about this as well and hope it doesn't happen.  Gatorade has a history of injuries so odds are Gbenda would see plenty of PT this season regardless.  He'd also be in line to start the following season.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. None of those three would be a huge loss. I like Hullaby’s upside, but it would be worth the sacrifice to bring in Richardson and Paleo Goat.

The real question would be if Gbenda stays if either of the new guys come in and steal his spot. Cooks and Blackwell are young so I doubt it would affect them. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You sure about that? If we add Richardson and Paleo Goat, then Ford is probably running third string. 

In a world seemingly overwhelmed lately with change, I can always count on your ability to view something in video as a snapshot, and then speak on it with certitude. I dig your dependability, Burt. Unfortunately, chaotic variables like individual learning curve ramp, impact of heightened competition, physical development in off field programs, new coaching approach to depth charts, etc., will reduce the certitude quite often to rubble, but I like that it is always your starting point.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think he’s had a spring head start and good minutes last year, I think he’ll have time yes 

I mean he played LB in like 2 games last year and looked fine for a true freshman but that’s about it. Do you really think the staff would bring in 2 ILBs if they thought Ford would be the primary backup ahead of both? 

RE: Coach PK and LBs -  I don't know whether the Huskies 24/7 page is just plain wrong (they have 2018/2019/2020 all listed as Freshman) or weird redshirting and COVID rules, but they have a fuckton of Freshman LBs (15 !). Obviously PK likes lots of LBs.

Washington 21 LBs

Aggy - 8 LBs 🤣

Georgia - 16 LBs

Ohio St - 14 LBs

Clemson - 17 LBs

Texas - 11 LBs listed, but we know about Mitchell, Adeoye & McCulloch

Bama - 15 LBs

Spoiler

Georgia:

1226912685_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_31_01PM.thumb.png.72d2cd6a976f36e9b882c720afeac50b.png

Ohio St:

1818828626_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_30_18PM.thumb.png.8cbcd92451a91df8437dd49424abf74a.png

Clemson:

507720026_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_29_55PM.thumb.png.c479eaddc2634c827b0a85b693831da6.png

Texas:

676768434_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_29_38PM.thumb.png.624681f1cb2937580b2dc55aeb4487c3.png

Bama:

1825188772_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_29_08PM.thumb.png.978a0649ece81cfac66031761472838f.png

Washington:

1367532892_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_28_28PM.thumb.png.6d96be6c7f8ebe8df2beb71b1fda7e7b.png

Aggy:

1071176416_ScreenShot2021-04-29at4_31_30PM.thumb.png.a72923224a6ce226479990d60ac8dd98.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You sure about that? If we add Richardson and Paleo Goat, then Ford is probably running third string. 

You are short-changing Ford and overselling Gaoteote, I assume mostly based on their recruit rankings. I wouldn't count on Gaoteote for shit. He's oft-injured and now on the multiple concussion path. If he gives you something - great, it's found money - but I would use a very light pencil when putting his name on any depth chart at any spot.

I wouldn't be willing to give up any of our young guys to the portal to rent him for a year. It would be especially aggravating to do it only to have him concuss himself into Bolivian during the Arkansas game.

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Washington 21 LBs

Aggy - 8 LBs 🤣

Georgia - 16 LBs

Ohio St - 14 LBs

Clemson - 17 LBs

Texas - 11 LBs listed, but we know about Mitchell, Adeoye & McCulloch

Bama - 15 LBs

To be fair,  several of those teams run out of a base 3-4.  So Bama and UGA having more LBs than Texas and aggy, both in variations of a 2 LB base set, makes sense. 

• Like 1

Any word on the USC kid's speed? I remember seeing his highlights and thinking he looked the part but saw his weight and became a little concerned. Add that line above about him not being a fit for this conference (but for PK's defense), how much of a concern is it?

Regarding Gbenda, yeah, I don't see him sticking around should this come to fruition. He looks ready to play

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You are short-changing Ford and overselling Gaoteote, I assume mostly based on their recruit rankings. I wouldn't count on Gaoteote for shit. He's oft-injured and now on the multiple concussion path. If he gives you something - great, it's found money - but I would use a very light pencil when putting his name on any depth chart at any spot.

I wouldn't be willing to give up any of our young guys to the portal to rent him for a year. It would be especially aggravating to do it only to have him concuss himself into Bolivian during the Arkansas game.

I’m not saying I’d trade Ford for Paleo Goat or that he’s better. I was basing that on the coaching staff’s actions. I have a hard time seeing the staff bring him in as a rental after we already picked up Richardson to add depth only to plan to have Ford ahead of him. If the staff thinks he’d be at best, our fourth or fifth ILB, then why use a spot on him?  It seems like bringing him in plus Richardson would be the staff telling us they don’t think any of the guys already on our roster are ready to play starter minutes if one of Gbenda or Overshown go down. 

30 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Regarding Gbenda, yeah, I don't see him sticking around should this come to fruition. He looks ready to play

Nah, don't think losing Gbenda is a concern. Even if he doesn't start this season he'll have plenty of PT. Could be a situation where we see Gao more when we need the run support and Gbenda against teams that put more pressure on LBs in coverage. Then next year he will be almost assured to hold down one of the two ILB positions when Overshown and Gao leave.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In a world seemingly overwhelmed lately with change, I can always count on your ability to view something in video as a snapshot, and then speak on it with certitude. I dig your dependability, Burt. Unfortunately, chaotic variables like individual learning curve ramp, impact of heightened competition, physical development in off field programs, new coaching approach to depth charts, etc., will reduce the certitude quite often to rubble, but I like that it is always your starting point.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Siap... Wonder how many spots for transfers SARK plans on holding back for 2022 class??

New transfer rule means a numbers crunch in '21 recruiting cycle

ByBUD ELLIOTT Oct 22, 2020

For years, college football transfers were required to sit out a season before playing unless they were a graduate student transfer or received a waiver.

For the 2021 college football season, that could be all set to change.

A new rule could be passed as early as January. College football insiders and coaches certainly believe it will be. It would allow a one-time transfer exemption, making it so that athletes transferring for the first time would be able to play immediately.

Coaches may not like it, but they are having to plan for it and use it to their advantage.

Programs are also having to deal with perhaps the strangest college football recruiting cycle in history. Teams are accepting commitments from prospects they’ve never met in person, much less worked out or evaluated due to the NCAA recruiting dead period being extended time and again during the pandemic shutdown. The risk and uncertainty associated with high school recruits this year is far greater than normal.

Because of that, the balance in certainty between recruits and transfers is different than it has ever been. Normally, there is risk that a transfer is a malcontent or that he might not even be immediately eligible. But now, the latter risk will be gone if the rule passes as expected.

“In a weird way, transfers are a more known commodity than high school recruits,” said a recruiting director. “We haven’t seen many of these high school kids.”

Would a school rather have a transfer who could help it right now, but for a smaller number of years, or a high school recruit who it can develop to fit its program?

This is a choice which must be made because transfers count against the cap of 25 new scholarship players which may be added to a roster each year, just like new recruits do.

And they have to make the decision fairly soon, because the Early Signing Period is only two months away (December 16-18). And of the top 20 classes in the 247Sports’ Team Recruiting Rankings for the class of 2021, eight have verbal commitments from 20 players or more. So many are already getting tight on space if they want to take a good number of transfers for the 2021 season. It’s possible that an epic decommitment season could be coming for college football, but it seems less likely than it did over the summer since official visits are still banned.

So what is the magic number? How do schools draw the line between taking a transfer and giving a green light to a high school recruit to sign?

“If it is a borderline recruit for us, we’d rather take a transfer who we know can cut it physically at the college level,” said one staffer.

Many coaches and recruiting personnel have echoed those sentiments. Their thought is this: Why not take a transfer player who can be OK for two years and get that scholarship back after two years to use on a future recruit, as opposed to risking a four-year mistake on a borderline high school prospect you’ve never worked out or seen in person? Coaches think the bust rate in this 2021 high school class might be much higher than normal due to the lack of evaluation and development time.

The amount of doubt a school has about its prospects is less at the very top of the recruiting food chain.

“For us, we don’t have a lot of questions about whether the guys we sign can play,” A coach at an elite recruiting school said. “We may not have seen them in person recently, but they pop off the screen against top competition.”

Staffs I spoke with said they’ll be holding back somewhere between a spot or two, to as many as six or seven.

This is especially true for first-year coaching staffs. I spoke with members of two such staffs who said they are at a distinct disadvantage in the cycle because while nobody was able to get on the road and visit prospects this year or host summer camps, established staffs at least got to have camps and visits last year, giving them eyeballs on and experience with the current crop of seniors when they were underclassmen.

“We are just now getting a feel for our real roster needs since we didn’t have a spring,” a coach said. “We’ll be hitting the transfer market hard and might hold back six or seven spots in the 25.”

Of course, there is a bit of a stigma around transfers. And some staffs believe transfers can upset their culture, especially if they don’t know the true reason for the player leaving his previous school.

“What message does us taking a transfer send to our kids who work hard and do everything right?” one coach asked.

Still, that sentiment does not seem to be as prevalent as it once was. Without having to wait for transfers to be eligible, they’ll be a bigger part of the annual roster flip than ever before. Some schools want to address roster depth via the transfer, and use recruiting more for higher-upside players who need development.

But with schools looking to fill immediate roster holes with transfers, this will mean fewer spots for recruits at some schools.

And that means some schools will benefit from a slightly higher quality of prospect falling to them who in previous years might not be available. If the top 25 or so schools leave an average of two extra spots open for transfers, that’s 50 high school prospects who would otherwise not be available for some lesser programs to sign who are suddenly available.

But even that comes with some uncertainty.

“There will be some schools in the G5 or even the FCS who will see a benefit from this,” a recruiting director said. “But then they have to worry about if they do end up with a guy who turns out to be much better than they can normally get, will he just transfer up to an elite program?”

Recruiting is a game of balancing floor and ceiling and the inherent risk involved in doing so. Transfers are not without risk, they’re just a more attractive option than normal in this strange recruiting cycle due to the information deficit teams are dealing with for high school recruits and the likelihood transfers will be immediately eligible due to the new rule.

Roach on Shadrach Banks

Spoiler

— Texas continues to talk with transfer candidate Shadrach Banks. The former North Shore star has been receptive to the approach by Jeff Choate and the coaching staff and seems to be warming to them. I was told by one source that Banks might want to wait and take some visits this summer to look into a few programs, but most would rather he make the call and enroll as soon as possible to begin the transition. TCU is the main source of competition at the time, but there's starting to be a little bit of confidence in Austin with the pitch and response.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Shadrach Banks

Hide contents

— Texas continues to talk with transfer candidate Shadrach Banks. The former North Shore star has been receptive to the approach by Jeff Choate and the coaching staff and seems to be warming to them. I was told by one source that Banks might want to wait and take some visits this summer to look into a few programs, but most would rather he make the call and enroll as soon as possible to begin the transition. TCU is the main source of competition at the time, but there's starting to be a little bit of confidence in Austin with the pitch and response.

It would be smart of him to enroll in time for summer workouts at whichever university he chooses.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It would be smart of him to enroll in time for summer workouts at whichever university he chooses.

I forgot - has he redshirted? Even with summer workouts, considering the position change, I can't see him getting much playing time this year.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I forgot - has he redshirted? Even with summer workouts, considering the position change, I can't see him getting much playing time this year.

He enrolled early at Aggie this spring. He has 4/5 years so I guess it's not that critical. Being a super good athlete with his speed he'd likely be a huge contributor on special teams as a freshmen. Getting a jump on playbooks/S&C is always beneficial even if he does get redshirted.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

If he left A&M because he didn't like the lockerroom, culture, college, town, etc, it probably makes sense for him to visit places to make sure he fits in rather than enroll somewhere asap, even if it means getting into the S&C a month or two later 

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Shadrach Banks

Hide contents

AUSTIN PITCH: "Hey, Shadrach. Do you like bags of money?"

SHADRACH: "Well, yeah. But Fatterson has already offered me bags of money, and he did it first."

AUSTIN PITCH: "Hey, Shadrach. Do you also like Boats & Ho's?"

SHADRACH: "Now Fatterson hasn't said anything about Boats yet. Keep talkin'."

Coaches in Austin are starting to be a little bit confident.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

If he left A&M because he didn't like the lockerroom, culture, college, town, etc, it probably makes sense for him to visit places to make sure he fits in rather than enroll somewhere asap, even if it means getting into the S&C a month or two later 

It might be less about S&C and more about a staff knowing with clarity what their 2022 class needs to be aiming for in terms of headcount and such heading into June. Banks being undecided and needing to be recruited just adds more uncertainty to the work, so of course it would be cleaner if he were locked in somewhere ahead of that onslaught.

IT

Spoiler

By our count Texas has had at least four or five video calls with Shadrach Banks (A&M/North Shore), including conversations with North Shore shaman Bo Davis, Jeff Banks, Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski, and finally Steve Sarkisian himself. A common theme we’ve heard is Sark’s personal involvement is resonating with recruits and that’s certainly the case here, especially with Banks slotted to linebacker if he joins Texas. Banks has some familiarity with UT having visited for a junior day, but that was long ago. It’s possible, if not likely, he’ll take a student visit in the next week or two to get the lay of the land.

Bottom line: We’re struggling to discern competition for Banks. We’ve heard TCU‘s name, but echoes have turned to whispers on that front. There just doesn’t seem to be much standing in the way of UT landing the NFL talent. As for weight concerns, “he‘ll play at 225 with no problem.” He has no immediate timeline for an announcement. If Texas gains a commitment, he’d officially join the program at the end of May.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sounds like we’re pushing hard for the guy, almost like our staff has concerns about depth at the position. 

So you think he will provide depth in 2021? A guy that hasn't played the position and is transitioning from WR in high school. To me it sounds like they see a fucking ubertalented athlete and want to add him to the roster as a development prospect. You know, the kind of thing you do when you have depth. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

So you think he will provide depth in 2021? A guy that hasn't played the position and is transitioning from WR in high school. To me it sounds like they see a fucking ubertalented athlete and want to add him to the roster as a development prospect. You know, the kind of thing you do when you have depth. 

He provides depth we need in 2022 as our 1 year rentals will be gone and the USC dude likely is a 1 year guy as well, thank you for playing. 

this staff is putting on a full court press for him according to reports but you’re right :)

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Super K

Spoiler

As you know, Texas A&M wide receiver, Shadrach Banks has entered the transfer portal.

Soon after that, a source close to Banks told me that his likely destination was TCU and that he would be going to TCU to play linebacker – not wide receiver.

Since then, I’ve told Texas has made their own case for Banks and would like to add him as yet another transfer. Source close to Banks tells me that Texas has told Banks that they will let him have the option of playing on either side of the ball though he will likely begin on defense.

I was told that as of last night a decision had not yet been made.

Also, worth noting that Banks could potentially help with landing Denver Harris and keeping Kris Ross in the fold.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Super K

Hide contents

As you know, Texas A&M wide receiver, Shadrach Banks has entered the transfer portal.

Soon after that, a source close to Banks told me that his likely destination was TCU and that he would be going to TCU to play linebacker – not wide receiver.

Since then, I’ve told Texas has made their own case for Banks and would like to add him as yet another transfer. Source close to Banks tells me that Texas has told Banks that they will let him have the option of playing on either side of the ball though he will likely begin on defense.

I was told that as of last night a decision had not yet been made.

Also, worth noting that Banks could potentially help with landing Denver Harris and keeping Kris Ross in the fold.

keeping Ross in the fold?  Am I missing something here? He's looking around?

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He provides depth we need in 2022 as our 1 year rentals will be gone and the USC dude likely is a 1 year guy as well, thank you for playing. 

this staff is putting on a full court press for him according to reports but you’re right :)

What does the staff putting the full court press have to do with anything? I hope they are because he's a fucking ubertalented athlete and has ties to both a current commit (Ross) and a hopeful future commit (Harris). 

You think he's going to be one of the 4 players on the 2-deep in 2022? 

Just now, golfclap said:

What does the staff putting the full court press have to do with anything? I hope they are because he's a fucking ubertalented athlete and has ties to both a current commit (Ross) and a hopeful future commit (Harris). 

You think he's going to be one of the 4 players on the 2-deep in 2022? 

Depends on how he develops. If he is then what does that say about the guys your hyping up? We lack  depth/long term depth at that position.  

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Depends on how he develops. If he is then what does that say about the guys your hyping up? We lack  depth/long term depth at that position.  

I'm not hyping anyone up. I am simply stating that the young LB group is talented and that a good position coach could in fact create a quality 2 deep out of that group. 

You disagree but are too cowardly to point out which of those players are shitty. You simply throw a blanket over them all ("We lack  depth/long term depth at that position", right?  I guess maybe you think all of them suck, but I don't know because you are too much of a coward to call them out. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wasn’t aware we’d taken a single one year rental at the position yet, let alone multiple. Fascinating. 

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

keeping Ross in the fold?  Am I missing something here? He's looking around?

Easy there, satfery. 

Banks is likely going to spend his FR season on STs because he's a + athlete, and not a 5 year guy anyway, using this year to learn a position he's never really concentrated on at the HS level.

Texas has plenty of depth at the position for the upcoming season especially if the USC transfer comes in. Overshown, Gbenda, Gatoete, and Richardson is a great 2 deep. Then you add in others like Cooks, Blackwell, Ford, Hullaby, Tillman, and Brockermeyer.

I realize there is a transfer portal now and it’s not apples to apples but just contrast Sark’s view on managing and upgrading the roster vs Strong’s. Sark is relentlessly pushing transfers even if we already addressed the position because he wants to upgrade the roster at every possible opportunity. 

Strong didn’t address the QB position for three years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I realize there is a transfer portal now and it’s not apples to apples but just contrast Sark’s view on managing and upgrading the roster vs Strong’s. Sark is relentlessly pushing transfers even if we already addressed the position because he wants to upgrade the roster at every possible opportunity. 

Strong didn’t address the QB position for three years. 

Sark seems like he really doesn’t want to lose to Louisiana or arkansas 

• Hook 'Em 8