2021 transfer thread

Machinator

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Transfer Portal Danger Ahead - Should NCAA Step In? (Late Kick Cut)

+

Very relevant video

he makes a good description of some of the pressures and risks going on right now but something I thought at several times thru his talk was how well our staff has addressed our needs with what’s available right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

(Super K) More Linebacker Transfer News

Spoiler

***Unless you’ve been living under a rock you know that the Texas staff has been putting in some serious portal interest, especially as it pertains to linebackers.

***It seems pretty obvious they were not overly excited with what they had in the linebacker room. You don’t need a source to tell you that. But, I have one anyway and the obvious, I’m told, is true.

***Back on April 15th, I mentioned that Texas has their eyes on a particular linebacker down south who is not yet in the portal but word going around is that he is considering entry into the portal.

The entire April 15th post read as follows:

As you know, Texas linebacker, Juwan Mitchell, recently re-entered the transfer portal. Additionally, DeMarvion Overshown underwent off-season surgery causing him to miss spring ball. Not ideal when you consider this is a new defensive scheme.

Word is Texas has been on the lookout for transfer linebackers. I actually got word from a source that they have their eye on a particular linebacker down south who is not yet in the portal but has been considering it.

Also, we heard yesterday via a source that there is mutual interest between Texas and USC transfer linebacker and former five star, Palaie Gaoteote IV.

Per USC’s official site, Palaie’s playing career to date:

He has 105 tackles, including 7.5 for losses for 21 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 11 yards), in his career.  He has appeared in 20 games, with 14 starts, in his career.

The other prospect we heard who is considering entering the transfer portal will actually be in Austin later this month. I’ve heard that if he decides to enter the portal, UT will be an option he seriously considers.

***I can confirm that the mystery linebacker did make it to Austin this past weekend. He has some ties to the area so he came to check it out. He is still not in the portal but again if he does enter the portal Texas is the likely landing spot.

***Also, told that even if Texas lands the USC LB transfer, Palaie Gaoteote, they will still want the mystery linebacker.

***We also recently noted that our sources indicated Palaie Gaoteote is likely to end up at Texas. However, in the post we noted that Ohio State would likely land Henry To’oto’o which would ensure they wouldn’t pursue Palaie. Well, Nick Saban did his Nick Saban things and landed Henry despite what Henry told people around him his plans were.

***I note that because I’m not sure if Ohio State will track back and pursue Palaie now and if that will change the likelihood of Texas landing the USC transfer linebacker. As of now, we are sticking with our position that Texas leads. But what Ohio State decides to do and whether that will matter to Palaie at this point is something we are watching.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Sure would love to have him, but wasn’t his issue a medical issue like DGF? 

The account said that there was a lot of speculation happening that Ross may jump into the portal and that Alabama and Auburn could be viable landing spots for him.

IT

Spoiler

LB Palai Gaoteote, USC (transfer): The former five-star from Vegas in the 2018 class who has had a middling career at Southern Cal committed to Texas a couple weeks ago. It’s easier to report what has happened than what will happen, because what will happen can change. That’s why we use the term “expected to go to Texas,” rather than something more definitive, when talking about Gaoteote now and Ben Davis before him. As far as we know, he’s still all systems go for Texas. We’ve heard from the Ohio State side of things the Buckeyes will make a call to judge his level of interest. We don’t know if that will move the needle with him.

OLB Ben Davis, Alabama (transfer): This transfer is done in UT’s favor (should be officially announced this week along with the other transfers) and he’s already been working out in Houston and Austin. Per a contact in Houston, Davis is giant and never should have been considered an off-the-ball linebacker. “He’s closer in size to a defensive end than linebacker.” Surprisingly, there’s still a lot of room for physical development from Davis. He’s more raw physically and athletically than you’d expect from someone who has been at Alabama since 2016. That should be exciting to Pete Kwiatkowski. Davis will play X-backer in PK’s system.

LB Shadrach Banks, A&M (transfer): The 2021 signee from North Shore took a student visit to Texas last week and will take a student visit to TCU this Wednesday. Texas is still recruiting him. Word is Shadrach likes Texas and the TCU visit is him doing his diligence but you just never know how things will play out. There are those near him who would prefer him at Texas. Communication appears to have been stronger with UT up to this point.

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If you're a linebacker on this team, you kind of have to be offended at this point. 

It's a 4 LB system. We had Overshown, Gbenda, and if you squint hard, Jones with not much else that is proven. With the way Orlando recruited that room, we had huge gaps in classes between the guys and zero edge rushers. We basically needed a quality 2 deep. We have taken 4 to 5 linebackers including 2 senior guys expected to play a ton next year and a few guys with multiple years left to play. If those other guys didn't impress during the spring, then I don't really feel bad. They all had a shot. Brockermeyer seems to be the only guy to have seized the moment and he is a walk-on who should never see meaningful snaps in theory. It is nothing more than good roster management. 

Edited by Vertigo

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It's a 4 LB system. We have Overshown, Gbenda, and if you squint hard, Jones with not much else that is proven. With the way Orlando recruited that room, we had huge gaps in classes between the guys and zero edge rushers. We basically needed a quality 2 deep. We have taken 4 to 5 linebackers including 2 senior guys expected to play a ton next year and a few guys with multiple years left to play. If those other guys didn't impress during the spring, then I don't really feel bad. They all had a shot. Brockermeyer seems to be the only guy to seize the moment and he is a walk-on who should never see meaningful snaps in theory. It is nothing more than good roster management. 

Assuming the Palaie transfer goes through - he'll be the first off-ball LB we've picked up in the portal, right?

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So looking at something like 

Thornton-Ojomo-Coburn -Davis/Jones

Overshown-Gaoteote

Jamison-Adimora-Foster-Thompson-Thompson

with Gbenda/Richardson rotating at ILB, Jones or Davis at OLB, Broughton/Collins rotating at DL and Dunn/Crawford/Schooler/Cook at DB

Dorbah could factor in as well.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Overshown-Gaoteote

with Gbenda/Richardson rotating at ILB, Jones or Davis at OLB, Broughton/Collins rotating at DL and Dunn/Crawford/Schooler/Cook at DB

I would replace Broughton with Sweat.

10 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Overshown-Gaoteote

Also Ovie, the ND guy

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Why bring it up again if you are too much of a fucking coward to name names? Full on bitchassness. 

You're right, our depth is sooo good that our coaching staff feels the need to go after just about every LB that hits the portal worth a shit. :)

Perhaps you should look at the depth overall instead of focusing on individuals, it will paint the picture better for you.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

It's a 4 LB system. We had Overshown, Gbenda, and if you squint hard, Jones with not much else that is proven. With the way Orlando recruited that room, we had huge gaps in classes between the guys and zero edge rushers. We basically needed a quality 2 deep. We have taken 4 to 5 linebackers including 2 senior guys expected to play a ton next year and a few guys with multiple years left to play. If those other guys didn't impress during the spring, then I don't really feel bad. They all had a shot. Brockermeyer seems to be the only guy to have seized the moment and he is a walk-on who should never see meaningful snaps in theory. It is nothing more than good roster management. 

It’s better to divide it up as edge and ILB since they’re completely different positions. We’ve taken 3 edge transfers (Thornton, Davis, Ovie) and it seems like we’re done there.

We’ve taken 1 ILB transfer so far (Richardson) while reportedly showing interest in 3 others (PG, Banks, and the LB down south TFB has been talking about). So taking around 3 transfers for both positions where 2 guys start is quite a bit. I’m a little surprised they’re looking at so many transfers at ILB, but we’ll have to see how many they actually take and where they slot them. 

32 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Overshown-Gaoteote

PK mixes up formations a good bit so we probably won’t have a static starting 11, and I expect him to shift to a good bit of 3 down DL in conference play. I think right now it looks something like: 

J: Thornton, Dorbah/Ovie

IDL1: Coburn, Sweat

IDL2: Collins/Ojomo, Broughton

X: Jones, Davis

W: Gbenda, PG

M: Overshown, Ford/Richardson/Cooks(these guys have flexibility between both ILB spots). 

CB: Jamison, Crawford, Barron

NB: Adimora, Cook

S: Foster/Schooler

S: Thompson

CB: Thompson, Dunn

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Perhaps you should look at the depth overall instead of focusing on individuals, it will paint the picture better for you.

This is so fucking stupid that my only hope now is that you haven't and never achieve breeding. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming the Palaie transfer goes through - he'll be the first off-ball LB we've picked up in the portal, right?

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Richardson

Take it FWIW, but last week one of the IT mods mentioned that Richardson may ultimately end up at an edge position as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1