2021 transfer thread

Machinator

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're right the 5 guys you listed are enough to sustain our roster this year and the next 2 years :)

I know this is a crazy concept but as guys graduate, other guys come in -- It's called recruiting. So Trevell Johnson will come in along with probably 2 more LB prospects none of which will be needed in the next 2 seasons if we manage to hang on to the young guys on the roster. 

The 5 guys I listed are "depth" as in they are NOT on the 2-deep you stupid fucking coward. You have spouted ad nauseam that there is no depth. Those 5 players are the depth. They are the guys that are NOT on the 2-deep. So "sustaining our roster" is handled by simply developing at a minimum 2 of those 5 names into guys that would then be on the 2 deep in 2022 and 2023 and is Jeff Choate's actual fucking job.  I do think the current depth chart (which doesn't include Banks or LB X) is fine in terms of total numbers and talent - certainly for the next 2 seasons. Sure, it's not 15 deep for those 2 spots the way you would like ... 

I'll say it the same way I said from the beginning, if a LB coach can't develop 4 players from this group of athletes into All BigXII caliber LBs (4 players being a complete 2-deep at the position) then he should absolutely GTFO because he's not the standard we should demand at Texas. Do you honestly disagree with that? 

You think this room has no talented players that can be developed by a capable LB coach - especially now that they are in a better scheme with a better DC (Kwiatkowski)? You think that if Chad Glasgow and Gary Patterson were given this group of players they couldn't develop 4 of them? How fast do you think Viedt and Heacock would trade their entire group for this group? You think Stanard and Klanderman wouldn't be able to develop a badass 2 deep of LBs from this group? 

I don't think there's a name on this list that can't be developed, at a minimum, into a solid backup/2nd team LB. That's absolute worst case, imho. FFS, Jaylan Ford is the lowest rated of the bunch (excluding Richardson and Brockermeyer) and he has already shown me enough to know that he could be a more than capable LB. 

LBs ::

Demarion Overshown 
6'3" 215
4 star - 0.9737 - #52 in the country

Tyler Owens 
6'2" 197
4 star - 0.9513 - #107 in the country

David Gbenda ::
6'0" 218
4 star - 0.9313 - #165 in the country

Terrence Cooks ::
6'2" 210
4 star - 0.8994 - #303 in the country

Morice Blackwell ::
6'1" 196
4 star - 0.8933 - #343 in the country

Marcus Tillman ::
6'1" 220
3 star 0.8856 - #440 in the country

Jaden Hullaby ::
6'2" 205 
3 star - 0.8701 - #620 in the country 

Jaylan Ford ::
6'2.5" 205
3 star - 0.8465 - #1222 in the country

Additions (I could see both of these guys playing rush end and not even playing LB, so we will see) ::

Palaie Gaoteote 
6'2" 235
5 star - 0.9926 - #15 in the country

Devin Richardson ::
6'3" 215
3 star - 0.8276 - #1631 in the country

PWO ::

Luke Brockermeyer ::
6'3" 210 
3 star - 0.8255 - #1169 in the country

I'm not going to bother going through this whole thing with multiple teams - so let's have one simple example, TCU. Glasgow/Patterson developed Garrett Wallow and Dee Winters into a very capable LB duo. Hell, Wallow led TCU in tackles for 3 straight seasons and was All BigXII in 2019 and 2020 and they turned him into a 5th round NFL draft pick, based entirely on his football IQ and productivity. (ie. his development).  

Garret Wallow - TCU 
6'2 210
3 star - 0.8481 - #890 in the country

Dee Winters ::
6'1" 192
3 star - 0.8688 - #693 in the country

Wallow's likely replacement ::
Wyatt Harris
6'3" 218
3 star - 0.8581 - #907 in the country

TCU depth will include -- (and no they don't go 15 deep)  ::

Jamoi Hodge ::
6'2" 225
3 star - 0.8722 - 34 JUCO

Thomas Armstrong ::
6'3" 220
3 star - 0.8323 - #1617 in the country

Jayhvion Gipson ::
6'1" 205 
3 star - 0.8464 - #1215 in the country

Dylan Jordan ::
6'3" 215 
3 star - 0.8808 - #514 in the country

Zach Marcheselli
6'2" 220 
3 star - 0.8594 - #888 in the country

Marcel Brooks - absolute shitfuck

At some point you have to stop rolling the roster over and start developing the talent.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Just now, golfclap said:

I know this is a crazy concept but as guys graduate, other guys come in -- It's called recruiting. So Trevell Johnson will come in along with probably 2 more LB prospects none of which will be needed in the next 2 seasons if we manage to hang on to the young guys on the roster. 

The 5 guys I listed are "depth" as in they are NOT on the 2-deep you stupid fucking coward. You have spouted ad nauseam that there is no depth. Those 5 players are the depth. They are the guys that are NOT on the 2-deep. So "sustaining our roster" is handled by simply developing at a minimum 2 of those 5 names into guys that would then be on the 2 deep in 2022 and 2023 and is Jeff Choate's actual fucking job.  I do think the current depth chart (which doesn't include Banks or LB X) is fine in terms of total numbers and talent - certainly for the next 2 seasons. Sure, it's not 15 deep for those 2 spots the way you would like ... 

I'll say it the same way I said from the beginning, if a LB coach can't develop 4 players from this group of athletes into All BigXII caliber LBs (4 players being a complete 2-deep at the position) then he should absolutely GTFO because he's not the standard we should demand at Texas. Do you honestly disagree with that? 

You think this room has no talented players that can be developed by a capable LB coach - especially now that they are in a better scheme with a better DC (Kwiatkowski)? You think that if Chad Glasgow and Gary Patterson were given this group of players they couldn't develop 4 of them? How fast do you think Viedt and Heacock would trade their entire group for this group? You think Stanard and Klanderman wouldn't be able to develop a badass 2 deep of LBs from this group? 

I don't think there's a name on this list that can't be developed, at a minimum, into a solid backup/2nd team LB. That's absolute worst case, imho. FFS, Jaylan Ford is the lowest rated of the bunch (excluding Richardson and Brockermeyer) and he has already shown me enough to know that he could be a more than capable LB. 

Demarion Overshown 
6'3" 215

Tyler Owens 
6'2" 197

6'0" 218

6'2" 210

6'1" 196

6'1" 220

6'2" 205 

6'2.5" 205

Additions (I could see both of these guys playing rush end and not even playing LB, so we will see) ::

Palaie Gaoteote 
6'2" 235

6'3" 215

6'3" 210 

I'm not going to bother going through this whole thing with multiple teams - so let's have one simple example, TCU. Glasgow/Patterson developed Garrett Wallow and Dee Winters into a very capable LB duo. Hell, Wallow led TCU in tackles for 3 straight seasons and was All BigXII in 2019 and 2020 and they turned him into a 5th round NFL draft pick, based entirely on his football IQ and productivity. (ie. his development).  

Garret Wallow - TCU 
6'2 210

6'1" 192

Wyatt Harris
6'3" 218

6'2" 225

6'3" 220

6'1" 205 

6'3" 215 

Zach Marcheselli
6'2" 220 

At some point you have to stop rolling the roster over and start developing the talent.

I’ve laid out the roster to you in this very thread, I don’t need your long winded post. I even took it to a presumptive 2023 season. 

It’s a new coaching staff so this year is the best year to roll the roster and rebuild the lack of depth we have. The way they’ve done it and appear to be doing it will offer immediate results with the 1 year guys I’ve also outlined in my breakdown and the guys with multiple years of eligibility. 

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Demarion Overshown 
6'3" 215

Tyler Owens 
6'2" 197

6'0" 218

6'2" 210

6'1" 196

6'1" 220

6'2" 205 

6'2.5" 205

Palaie Gaoteote 
6'2" 235

6'3" 215

6'3" 210 

Garret Wallow - TCU 
6'2 210

6'1" 192

Wyatt Harris
6'3" 218

6'2" 225

6'3" 220

6'1" 205 

6'3" 215 

Zach Marcheselli
6'2" 220 

Ongoing argument aside, are you in favor of Choate going for Richardson/Gaoteote/Banks/LBX or not?

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ongoing argument aside, are you in favor of Choate going for Richardson/Gaoteote/Banks/LBX or not?

Banks is a no-brainer yes, for me. Richardson as a pass rusher to compete with Dorbah? Absolutely. Gaoteote is pretty meh but whatever, at least he's got experience - he just seems like any other maxed out Bishop Gorman/IMG/Take your pick type of kid. He did play well as a rush DE and so if they want to add him there, I'd be more excited about his upside. 

LBX - I'd have to know who it was and decide if I thought he was worth losing 2 of the younger guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Banks is a no-brainer yes, for me. Richardson as a pass rusher to compete with Dorbah? Absolutely. Gaoteote is pretty meh but whatever, at least he's got experience - he just seems like any other maxed out Bishop Gorman/IMG/Take your pick type of kid. He did play well as a rush DE and so if they want to add him there, I'd be more excited about his upside. 

LBX - I'd have to know who it was and decide if I thought he was worth losing 2 of the younger guys. 

Imagine not knowing who LBX is 🤣

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Gaotatorade is meh, huh? Just shut the fuck up if you can’t stay straight on being reasonable even vaguely, dude. It’s fine to say you have concerns about concussions. Otherwise, claiming to have a problem with his ability to play fucking linebacker tells me that you are a DFW honk and nothing more. Seriously, shut the fuck up with stupid shit like that.

The overthinking from some of you recruitniks from the hiring of Sark to now is trending towards insufferable. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

From a bit different standpoint as I haven't watched any videos or claim to understand how these players will be used, I'd rank our moves simply based on names as above average to great.

Departures - 

Ayodele Adeoye - too many vowels and the repetition is overplayed here

Juwan Mitchell - this feels very much like some white writers name for the token black character in their sitcom

Byron Vaughns - prob my favorite from the outgoing group, had a nice cadence.

Arrivals - 

Ray Thorton - I mean, this feels like a name from some defensive player on the 85 bears defense. A bit of a throwback but just screams hard hitter to me

Ovie Oghoufo - Plenty of vowels here but right off the bat you have a hell of a first name, Ovie Ovie Ovie is a built in chant

Ben Davis - Of the incoming group, probably the weakest but very solid traditional name

Devin Richardson - He just sounds fast. Vroom Vroom

Palaie Gaoteote - I don't have any clue how to say this, but is feels like it belongs to a Roman Soldier

Banks - No need for a first name, solid solid last name.

LBX - I don't know who this is but it sounds like we will have a X-Men person on defense, can't hurt.

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gaotatorade is meh, huh? Just shut the fuck up if you can’t stay straight on being reasonable even vaguely, dude. It’s fine to say you have concerns about concussions. Otherwise, claiming to have a problem with his ability to play fucking linebacker tells me that you are a DFW honk and nothing more. Seriously, shut the fuck up with stupid shit like that.

So, in other words, you like the acquisition.

I think he will be good too, if he can stay healthy.

Roach non-update on Kaufman

Spoiler

— I did some checking with sources near Vanderbilt transfer Donovan Kaufman. As 247Sports reported last week, it's down to a race between Auburn and Texas and Kaufman himself said it's too close to call at the moment. In checking with sources on the Auburn side, the Tigers feel good about where things stand, but there's also some confidence in Austin. That reflects how close this race is at the moment, and so we wait to see what Kaufman's decision will end up being.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, MoJames said:

From a bit different standpoint as I haven't watched any videos or claim to understand how these players will be used, I'd rank our moves simply based on names as above average to great.

Departures - 

Juwan Mitchell - this feels very much like some white writers name for the token black character in their sitcom

Arrivals - 

Ray Thorton - I mean, this feels like a name from some defensive player on the 85 bears defense. A bit of a throwback but just screams hard hitter to me

Ovie Oghoufo - Plenty of vowels here but right off the bat you have a hell of a first name, Ovie Ovie Ovie is a built in chant

Ben Davis - Of the incoming group, probably the weakest but very solid traditional name

Palaie Gaoteote - I don't have any clue how to say this, but is feels like it belongs to a Roman Soldier

LBX - I don't know who this is but it sounds like we will have a X-Men person on defense, can't hurt.

racist comedy central GIF

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Departures - 

Arrivals - 

Strong work here.

8 hours ago, MoJames said:

Departures - 

Arrivals - 

Where do I send my $9.95?

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Any news/rumors of potential OL transfers coming our way?  I guess you can count Kerstetter coming back as a “bonus”, but would like one more proven commodity. 

Not really 

1 hour ago, canadianhorn21 said:

"Sources have suggested Indiana could be a landing spot for Carr given his history with running backs coach Deland McCullough. Carr was coached by McCullough in 2017 for one season at USC prior to the running backs coach's departure for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018."

• Hook 'Em 1