2021 transfer thread

Machinator

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

Maybe it’s me- (I’m sure it’s me); but my impatient self is feeling a bit of frustration that Texas has only landed one of the “Portal Xfer Top 50”.  With many pundits grading the Sark hire as an A to an A+, I find it surprising that they’ve not had more success. 
Admittedly, I only follow Recruiting from the background/casually.  Although I do find it very interesting.  And I know success on the field begets success on the recruiting trail.  So, I’m hoping this translates to the portal as well...🤞🏻🤘🏻

Either my eyes or my brain aren’t working, because I can’t find the “one” transfer on that list we did receive. Help an old fella out, who we talking about? If we are to believe the 9.95ers, Placenta Gotawholelottalove doesn’t seem to be headed our way. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, golfclap said:

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

My white hot hatred of all things Okie precludes me from ever living in Dallas. I don't know how anyone could live that close to all those dirty fucking Okies. 

This is why I call Dallas Baja Oklahoma. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Juwan Mitchell’s road to Rocky Top: Why the versatile Texas linebacker transfer chose Tennessee

GettyImages-1175523276-1-1024x683.jpg
By David Ubben and Manny Navarro May 7, 2021 comment-icon.png 7 save-icon.png

Juwan Mitchell knows change. The incoming Tennessee linebacker transfer from Texas has lived it in each of the past three years.

When his junior college career was finished, he signed with Texas. In Year 1, he was a linebacker in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 defense. Until Orlando was fired. Then Mitchell learned a 4-2-5 defense under new Longhorns defensive coordinator Chris Ash, leading Texas in tackles in their first year in the system. After the season, head coach Tom Herman was fired and Steve Sarkisian took over, bringing in Pete Kwiatkowski to coordinate the defense.

It was a “third set of strangers coming into the building,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell entered the transfer portal this offseason, and he’s found a new place to embrace his newest wholesale change: Tennessee in new defensive coordinator Tim Banks’ attacking, multiple-front scheme. Mitchell announced Monday that he plans to join the Vols after a weekend visit for the spring game. He was relatively certain he’d be a Vol before he arrived, but the visit sealed his decision.

A new home, a new scheme and a new start.

“It wasn’t the best thing having a staff fired every year. But I think I showed people that I can adapt to any scheme,” Mitchell said. “They say clean slate every time a new staff comes in, and I believed I showed each staff I’m one that they can count on to start and things like that. So that really meant a lot to me. I learned a lot from each staff. Some people have the same staff for four years, and they only learn that system and that’s all they know. I feel like I’m very versatile now, and I just feel like I know more about the game by learning from a bunch of different people.”

His versatility is nothing new. As he grew from a pee-wee standout into a Division I prospect, Mitchell played running back, quarterback and fullback. He didn’t play linebacker until he was a sophomore in high school and his body matured into a 220-pound frame. He pleaded with his high school coach to move him to linebacker. He stuck there.

“Ever since then, every single season I got better,” Mitchell said.

And now he’s 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds, a frame he used to make 62 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and a fumble recovery for the Longhorns last season.

Mitchell always wanted to be different. He grew up in Newark, N.J., and caught the train to school every day, a 45-minute commute. His oldest brother was a Giants fan. His mom: Ravens, because she liked the color purple. Mitchell decided to become an Eagles fan.

When he entered the transfer portal, Mitchell said he got 30 offers. He said he didn’t want to go to a team like Alabama and be a role player.

“It’s not gonna be as important to me,” he said.

He wanted somewhere he was needed, a place where he could be an integral part of a defense. He wanted the perfect fit. At Tennessee, he hopes he’s found it. Mitchell saw the dearth of bodies at linebacker, the void in the depth chart left behind when Quavaris Crouch and Henry To’o To’o entered the transfer portal.

After leaving Texas and entering the transfer portal himself in late March, he spent time in New Orleans working with Duke Riley, Dante Jackson, Trai Turner and other LSU alumni who went on to NFL careers. They’d work out and watch film, giving Mitchell pointers and pounding home the point that speed and flexibility were integral to sticking around at the next level.

“Dante was actually teaching me some coverage things and stuff like that,” Mitchell said. “He’d be studying everybody. He picks up clues. There’s a lot of different clues he taught me to pick up on from the linemen and things like that.”

On the final weekend of April, he made his way to Knoxville on a rainy Saturday to see the spring game. He spent time with another new incoming Vol: Michigan transfer quarterback Joe Milton, who will compete for the starting job in preseason camp. After the game, he spent some time with current Vols and former players who were in town, such as Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara, who went from junior college to Rocky Top.

“Going juco, you got to be strong, you got to be internally motivated,” Mitchell said. “It’s not so much external motivation. There’s days no coaches are coming to practice. There’s days you’re not going to eat. You might eat one meal and you gotta go to practice. You got to be really dedicated. I really had to find myself, find my game, stick to it. You got to really know who you are, juco. When I got to Texas, yeah, it was bigger, but it was like I already knew who I was. While nobody else knew who I was. So it was easier to navigate. It was just like, there’s 100,000 people looking at me now, but I’ve been this person. That’s kind of the mindset I kept. It helped me. I try not to compare to others, but I always knew I was different.”

Mitchell has two years of eligibility remaining. He’s hoping a standout year at Tennessee could mean hearing his name called in the draft this time next year. He’ll study physical culture and sport at Tennessee, the same thing he majored in at Texas. Whenever his football career ends, he’s eyeing a job as an agent.

“I just feel like I’ve been through so much in my life I can, like, help somebody because it’s not always gonna be pretty,” Mitchell said. “I could be there for people when in doubt when they’re down, too.”

But for now, Mitchell is up. He has his fresh start. And he sees himself as the best linebacker in the transfer portal.

“If it ain’t me, it ain’t the best,” he said.

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Either my eyes or my brain aren’t working, because I can’t find the “one” transfer on that list we did receive. Help an old fella out, who we talking about? If we are to believe the 9.95ers, Placenta Gotawholelottalove doesn’t seem to be headed our way. 

No, no-mea culpa- It is I who is the idoit, here.  I am the old fella needing help. I misread. My bad. 
Dammit, it’s worse that I thought! 😠😡🤬

C’mon Sark! 

#firestevesarkisian.com

• Hook 'Em 1

Juwan Mitchell knows change. The incoming Tennessee linebacker transfer from Texas has lived it in each of the past three years.

When his junior college career was finished, he signed with Texas. In Year 1, he was a linebacker in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 defense. Until Orlando was fired. Then Mitchell learned a 4-2-5 defense under new Longhorns defensive coordinator Chris Ash, leading Texas in tackles in their first year in the system. After the season, head coach Tom Herman was fired and Steve Sarkisian took over, bringing in Pete Kwiatkowski to coordinate the defense.

It was a “third set of strangers coming into the building,” Mitchell said.

Uh, Juwan.  I hate to be the one to break this to you about Tennessee and staff turnover but... Nevermind.  I don't want to ruin the surprise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I really love all of the trash talk between people in different Texas metropolitan areas as if every major city in Texas has not evolved over time into complete mirror images of one another. 

Let me guess - you live in Dallas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Let’s call it a tie on that front.  The summer humidity in Houston breaks the tie in Dallas’ favor.

Austin is better than both for weather and just about everything else except for food, where H-Town is one of the most underrated cities in America (esp in the low-to-medium price range).

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, quigley said:

Austin is better than both for weather and just about everything else except for food, where H-Town is one of the most underrated cities in America (esp in the low-to-medium price range).

yeah i still love Austin..born and raised there but man it's way too expensive for me (not surly 95%er)..  Houston has been great to me so far one month in coming from VA

• Hook 'Em 3

Roach non-update on Shadrach Banks

Spoiler

— Texas remains in dogged pursuit of Texas A&M transfer prospect Shadrach Banks. The Longhorns find themselves in a fight with in-state foe TCU. I was told that Banks is set to see those campuses for himself and could be at TCU soon. I’m working to confirm but was also told that Banks may have already taken a trip to Austin to hit the campus once again. Folks near him want him to do some due diligence before making his next move so this definitely makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t click to read the tweet, but I think that’s number of people entering the portal. Not ones that actually secured a place to transfer. Isn’t there something like a thousand names in the portal at any given time? 

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is actually a crazy number of transfers.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I didn’t click to read the tweet, but I think that’s number of people entering the portal. Not ones that actually secured a place to transfer. Isn’t there something like a thousand names in the portal at any given time? 

*aren’t

17 hours ago, quigley said:

I could live without the campers and panhandlers.