2021 transfer thread

Machinator

IT

Spoiler

S Donovan Kaufman, Vanderbilt via Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, LA):

It seems the upcoming decision for transfer Donovan Kaufman gets more difficult by the day.

Last week, it appeared Auburn held the lead for the 5-foot-10, 197-pound safety and return man. The Tigers still might hold the cards today, but IT caught up with Kaufman, and he insists the decision is getting tougher. Texas might’ve moved the needle for the playmaker.

Texas has a built-in connection with former Vanderbilt staffers Jason Grooms and Taylor Searels, Chief of Staff and Director of Recruiting Operations, respectively, at Texas now. He also has connections with Auburn.

A decision is expected soon. Auburn is still the slight favorite but it’s close.

The former three-star in the 2020 class entered the portal on April 21st.

LB Shadrach Banks, Texas A&M via North Shore:

IT asked five people at North Shore where they thought Shadrach would end up, Texas or TCU? Four of those said TCU because of familiarity due to having a pair of former teammates on the Horned Frogs roster. That doesn’t mean that’s where the four people think would be best for Shadrach, just where they believe he will end up. One person said he thought it could go either way. There was a consensus that Banks would fair better at Texas because he would respond better to Sarkisian’s laid-back demeanor and vibe around the new staff in Austin.

IT is still working to confirm Banks took his midweek visit to TCU. It’s possible the visit didn’t happen. If it did happen and we haven’t confirmed it yet, that’s probably not the greatest sign.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

The Texas staff will add a ‘big’ to the 2021-22 roster.

Two bigs the staff is recruiting currently are Jordan Brown (Arizona transfer) and Dusan Mahorcic (Illinois State transfer). The staff has Brown ahead of Mahorcic on the board, but it will be all about timing and whether or not the staff can get Brown to make a decision before Mahorcic.

Brown is a 6-foot-11 former top 25 ranked prospect out of Prolific Prep that was named the Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year last season after averaging a little over nine points and 5.4 rebounds per game. While Brown isn’t a rim protector, there is a belief that adding Brown would make Texas a legit top 10 team next season.

I read this and thought: "a 6' 11" lineman that can play both guard and tackle? Holy shit". Then I realized it was about basketball.

5 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

If, under this new staff, we are now playing “the game”, as many have eluded to, we seem to be unable to close on some of these transfers.  Makes you wonder. Maybe too small a sample size though. 

What, specifically, are you wondering about?

In general, losing OOS targets to Ohio State and OU, who both do whatever it takes, in a year they both should make the Playoff is hardly an indictment. Banks has a bunch of friends on TCU's roster.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What, specifically, are you wondering about?

In general, losing OOS targets to Ohio State and OU, who both do whatever it takes, in a year they both should make the Playoff is hardly an indictment. Banks has a bunch of friends on TCU's roster.

Wondering if we really are playing the game or just not effective at it. 

But as you pointed out there are reasonable explanations for our misses, thus the small sample size caveat. 

And thank you Mr Bot for correcting my error. I am better for it. 

1 hour ago, mantis toboggan said:

Wondering if we really are playing the game or just not effective at it. 

But as you pointed out there are reasonable explanations for our misses, thus the small sample size caveat. 

And thank you Mr Bot for correcting my error. I am better for it. 

It’s been 2 transfers bruh, wait for visits

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Seems odd but I guess just insurance in case Card or Casey transfer. Not an exciting take either way though..

I get it though. It's likely that the loser of Card and Casey transfers. Better to have a guy that is coming in to be the backup that has actually played in college football, as opposed to the 2 freshmen. Granted he was not good at LSU, but with all the personnel losses and the really shitty coaching, that shouldn't be a surprise.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I get it though. It's likely that the loser of Card and Casey transfers. Better to have a guy that is coming in to be the backup that has actually played in college football, as opposed to the 2 freshmen. Granted he was not good at LSU, but with all the personnel losses and the really shitty coaching, that shouldn't be a surprise.

If Casey plays better and wins the job, Card stays. (Why leave Sark right before the season?)

If Card plays better and Casey is awarded the job, Card likely leaves. (Why stay if performance doesn’t matter.)

If Card wins the job, then Casey is likely gone, though he might just transfer at the semester, because it will be too late to contribute in the fall. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

If Casey plays better and wins the job, Card stays. (Why leave Sark right before the season?)

If Card plays better and Casey is awarded the job, Card likely leaves. (Why stay if performance doesn’t matter.)

If Card wins the job, then Casey is likely gone, though he might just transfer at the semester, because it will be too late to contribute in the fall. 

So what you are saying is... we may have one leaving in June?

The general sentiment around Card is he’s likely to stay, starter or not. That could change, but it’s been said here and elsewhere that he doesn’t abide by the logic you’ve given.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The general sentiment around Card is he’s likely to stay, starter or not. That could change, but it’s been said here and elsewhere that he doesn’t abide by the logic you’ve given.

My feeling is that they'll both play this fall, even without injury. But the #1 at the start of the first game may not be the #1 at the start of the last game.

If they both stay, they'll both play the fall of 2022 as well, but there will be a #1 and a #2 from the start of the season until the end of the season that won't change unless there's an injury.

I was a bench warmer for JV football in 9th grade, which was the last organized football that I played with pads. The last organized football I played of any kind was freshman year intramural football at UT where my team was put in the top level and we were shellacked on a weekly basis, however I did help coach a 2nd Grade flag football team in Denver 2 1/2 years ago, so I'm a little knowledgeable on coach think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

My feeling is that they'll both play this fall, even without injury. But the #1 at the start of the first game may not be the #1 at the start of the last game.

If they both stay, they'll both play the fall of 2022 as well, but there will be a #1 and a #2 from the start of the season until the end of the season that won't change unless there's an injury.

I was a bench warmer for JV football in 9th grade, which was the last organized football that I played with pads. The last organized football I played of any kind was freshman year intramural football at UT where my team was put in the top level and we were shellacked on a weekly basis, however I did help coach a 2nd Grade flag football team in Denver 2 1/2 years ago, so I'm a little knowledgeable on coach think.

I think that may be true if Thompson starts the first game. But if Card is named starter for week 1 I think he will maintain the starting role and it would signal to me this staff chose the potential of card over the more seasoned Thompson. The old saying of if you have two QBs you don’t have one....

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, Machinator said:

"Sources have suggested Indiana could be a landing spot for Carr given his history with running backs coach Deland McCullough. Carr was coached by McCullough in 2017 for one season at USC prior to the running backs coach's departure for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018."

IT

Spoiler

DB Donovan Kaufman, Vanderbilt via Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, LA): One of UT’s top transfer portal targets is making his decision on Wednesday.

The 5-foot-10, 197-pound safety is down to Texas and Auburn, and UT has been slowly creeping up the path. On Friday, Auburn took Bydarrius Knighten, a grad transfer safety from Southwest Missouri State.

There’s a feeling UT has improved its position with Kaufman. He continues to build a relationship with the Horns’ staff and admits this hasn’t been an easy decision. He was slated to talk with the staff last night, but as of now it’s unknown how that discussion went.

We’ll continue to monitor this one closely. Kaufman is an athletic ball of energy who could play nickel or field safety.