QB from PSU

RB from Tennessee

DB from Tennessee

DL from Auburn 

I think they had 3 last year

WR from UCLA 

WR from Marshall

OL from UCLA

So 9 in the past two classes I think, vs 6 for us I think (Black, Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton, ND guy)

• Hook 'Em 2

Let me just get this headache out of the way a few months ahead. So next RRR we are going to see 4 former vols, someone from az, psu, FedEx, somewhere else, and another guy all throwing the horns down acting like they have some genuine “ou” hatred for Texas after playing in the Sec, SEC, big10, and Appalachia 14. Just going to love seeing that. I’m sure all the new transfers have a 3 hour meeting the week before: going over proper technique of the horns down and explain even to do it if you’re hometown is somewhere in the northeast. Boy howdy

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Let me just get this headache out of the way a few months ahead. So next RRR we are going to see 4 former vols, someone from az, psu, FedEx, somewhere else, and another guy all throwing the horns down acting like they have some genuine “ou” hatred for Texas after playing in the Sec, SEC, big10, and Appalachia 14. Just going to love seeing that. I’m sure all the new transfers have a 3 hour meeting the week before: going over proper technique of the horns down and explain even to do it if you’re hometown is somewhere in the northeast. Boy howdy

I mean... how's that different from any OOS freshman at either school?

You forgot doing it no matter who the opponent is..
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Rent free.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Jesus Christ Tennessee is going to be a complete tear down and rebuild project. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is going to be?

Yeah, going 3-7 AND cheating...they aren't even cheating well. At least Hugh Freeze was winning games and putting guys in the league.

vs Vanderbilt 4 - 5 (though won the last 2)

vs Bama lost 14 in a row and only 2 of those were within 10 points and average loss was by 25.

Vanderbilt had an easier time hiring than TN. Heupel + sanctions = further slide.

It's unlikely that any of the transfers will still be around, but OU plays at TN in 2024.

Edited by quigley

15 hours ago, Fud said:

So think that’s 6 for OU
OL from Arizona - 1 year
OL from Tennessee - 3 years
QB from PSU - 4 years
RB from Tennessee - 3 years
DB from Tennessee - 4 years
DL from Auburn/Tennessee  - 1 year

I think they had 3 last year
WR from UCLA - 1 year
WR from Marshall - 1 year
OL from UCLA - 2 years

So 9 in the past two classes -- correct

Four of the six 2021 transfers have the option to play multiple years at OU (I annotated your summary, which was correct). I think OU views these guys with multiple years to play as part of the 2021 recruiting class.

Prior to this year's (2017 - 2020), OU only had one transfer with an option to play multiple years (Murray, interior OL, UCLA, 2020). If the NCAA continues to have a relaxed policy on undergrad transfers, I think OU should, based on their history of poor retention of high schoolers, continue to look at the transfer portal for multi-year player with high upside.

OU may have a slot still open for a portal or JUCO transfer. Arik Gilbert is still out there. I think they'd still take a high impact RB, WR, or safety.

Edited by quigley

4 hours ago, quigley said:

If the NCAA continues to have a relaxed policy on undergrad transfers, I think OU should, based on their history of poor retention of high schoolers, continue to look at the transfer portal for multi-year player with high upside.  OU may have a slot still open for a portal or JUCO transfer. Arik Gilbert is still out there. I think they'd still take a high impact RB, WR, or safety.

Interesting strategy of recruiting more transfers at blOU...

This 2021 season could be a pivotal year for blOU -- needs to be a successful year on the field.  Otherwise, the recruiting of high school players may become much more challenging due the higher number of players portaling away from Norman...

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This 2021 season could be a pivotal year for blOU -- needs to be a successful year on the field.  Otherwise, the recruiting of high school players may become much more challenging due the higher number of players portaling away from Norman...

The data doesn't really support that assertion that there are more players leaving OU. I showed this either here or in the OU 2022 recruiting thread. It's been high (~ 50%) over the last five years. Several years ago, I went back looked at another long stretch and found similar numbers (you can rerun that yourself, if interested, I'm not going to do it again).

The ability to have transfers with multiple years of eligibility is the difference. I that situation, the new school has seen you perform vs college athletes, knows your grades in college classes, and knows you can be trusted to live in dorms. So a lot of the projection isn't needed. I could see OU, and other smart programs, take advantage of this.

Please spell out for me why this would be a negative to high school recruits. They know there are new players coming in behind them who are going to be talented. Whether the new players are from high school, 4-yr college transfers, JUCO tranfers, what difference does it make?

I agree with you about 2021 being pivotal for OU on the national stage. Of the four regulars in the playoff (Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, and OU), the Sooners are the only one with a returning QB. Certainly, the others all have top flight youngsters, but this situation doesn't come around that often.

Regionally, OU's not going anywhere as long as Riley's around. Sark may bring UT back, but it'll be like the Stoops-Brown era when you had annual top 10 match ups in the Cotton Bowl. I'd take that, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Exactly what is the standard for OU being successful on the field?  Winning the conference and making the CFP again?  The three losses don't seem to be hurting them just like the transfer quarterbacks haven't seem to impacted the interest of high school quarterbacks.

Edited by PGFrog
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Sark may bring UT back, but it'll be like the Stoops-Brown era when you had annual top 10 match ups in the Cotton Bowl. I'd take that, wouldn't you?

As long as you're the ones losing by eleventy billion points this time, sure.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, quigley said:

The data doesn't really support that assertion that there are more players leaving OU. I showed this either here or in the OU 2022 recruiting thread. It's been high (~ 50%) over the last five years. Several years ago, I went back looked at another long stretch and found similar numbers (you can rerun that yourself, if interested, I'm not going to do it again).

The ability to have transfers with multiple years of eligibility is the difference. I that situation, the new school has seen you perform vs college athletes, knows your grades in college classes, and knows you can be trusted to live in dorms. So a lot of the projection isn't needed. I could see OU, and other smart programs, take advantage of this.

Please spell out for me why this would be a negative to high school recruits. They know there are new players coming in behind them who are going to be talented. Whether the new players are from high school, 4-yr college transfers, JUCO tranfers, what difference does it make?

I agree with you about 2021 being pivotal for OU on the national stage. Of the four regulars in the playoff (Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, and OU), the Sooners are the only one with a returning QB. Certainly, the others all have top flight youngsters, but this situation doesn't come around that often.

Regionally, OU's not going anywhere as long as Riley's around. Sark may bring UT back, but it'll be like the Stoops-Brown era when you had annual top 10 match ups in the Cotton Bowl. I'd take that, wouldn't you?

With the new transfer rules changing, maybe you are right.  But if more and more 2nd and 3rd year blOU players keep getting replaced by more transfers, there is an increased risk that a lot more high school coaches start sending their kids elsewhere.

Just food for thought...

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

With the new transfer rules changing, maybe you are right.  But if more and more 2nd and 3rd year blOU players keep getting replaced by more transfers, there is an increased risk that a lot more high school coaches start sending their kids elsewhere.

Just food for thought...

Jesus, I hope so, but Riley keeps defying popular wisdom. 

22 hours ago, quigley said:

Please spell out for me why this would be a negative to high school recruits. 

Of the four regulars in the playoff (Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, and OU)

1) Because they’re continually getting recruited over and given a vote of no confidence from your coaches. Getting transfers with multiple years of eligibility every year tells high school recruits already on your  campus you’re not good enough.

2) One of these things is not like the other ones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

1) Because they’re continually getting recruited over and given a vote of no confidence from your coaches. Getting transfers with multiple years of eligibility every year tells high school recruits already on your  campus you’re not good enough.

2) One of these things is not like the other ones

Will ask you the same question I asked LTtxfan and he opted not to answer.  

If bringing in transfer after transfer after transfer to a program at the spotlight position of quarterback is going to hurt the high school recruiting of a program how is it that OU went through 3 straight transfer quarterbacks playing over their  high school recruits and their current quarterback is not only one of the highest high school recruits at the position, but one of their top signings for 2021 is another highly regarded high school prospect at the position when does this negative impact kick in for the Sooners?

Maybe the 2022 class though if Rattler does make it to the NFL as did Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts I tend to think that only strengthens their sales pitch.  

If bringing in transfer after transfer after transfer to a program at the spotlight position of quarterback is going to hurt the high school recruiting of a program how is it that OU went through 3 straight transfer quarterbacks playing over their  high school recruits and their current quarterback is not only one of the highest high school recruits at the position, but one of their top signings for 2021 is another highly regarded high school prospect at the position when does this negative impact kick in for the Sooners?

Holy fucking run-on sentence, Batman!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They also got 5 star RB Demarkcus Bowman from Clemson. That’s quite the pull in the transfer market. 

Too bad Mullen still won't lead them to an East championship as long as Georgia is around. Hell, he lost 4 games with the best qb he's probably going to have in quite some time. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They won the East last season.

Oh wow. I thought Georgia did since they lost 2 games, but you're right. Apparently Florida won it with 4 losses. That's...fucking strange. Regardless, Florida isn't going to do shit. My point remains that he isn't going to have another Kyle Trask walking through that door anytime soon (within the next 3-4 seasons).