2021 transfer thread

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh wow. I thought Georgia did since they lost 2 games, but you're right. Apparently Florida won it with 4 losses. That's...fucking strange. Regardless, Florida isn't going to do shit. My point remains that he isn't going to have another Kyle Trask walking through that door anytime soon (within the next 3-4 seasons). 

UF's 3rd and 4th losses were in the SECCG and their bowl game. UGA won their bowl. They both had 2 losses in conference play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scholz said:

1) Because they’re continually getting recruited over and given a vote of no confidence from your coaches. Getting transfers with multiple years of eligibility every year tells high school recruits already on your  campus you’re not good enough.

2 hours ago, PGFrog said:

Will ask you the same question I asked LTtxfan and he opted not to answer.  

If bringing in transfer after transfer after transfer to a program at the spotlight position of quarterback is going to hurt the high school recruiting of a program how is it that OU went through 3 straight transfer quarterbacks playing over their  high school recruits and their current quarterback is not only one of the highest high school recruits at the position, but one of their top signings for 2021 is another highly regarded high school prospect at the position when does this negative impact kick in for the Sooners?

Maybe the 2022 class though if Rattler does make it to the NFL as did Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts I tend to think that only strengthens their sales pitch. 

There are two responses:

1. They can get recruited over with high school kids, JUCOs, and even walk-ons at OU (walk-ons have started at QB, WR, RB, OL, LB at OU in the last 5 yrs). So what's the difference in transfers from 4 yr colleges doing the same thing?

2. Empirically, doesn't seem to matter. OU brought in transfer QB 2014, 2015, 2019, 2020 and has gotten #1 prep QB in 2019 and 2021. OU brought in two transfer WR last year and got the #4, #17, #22 WR in the country. They were second for the #1 WR, but I don't think he preferred Ohio St over OU because of transfer WRs coming in.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, PGFrog said:

If bringing in transfer after transfer after transfer to a program at the spotlight position of quarterback is going to hurt the high school recruiting of a program how is it that OU went through 3 straight transfer quarterbacks playing over their  high school recruits and their current quarterback is not only one of the highest high school recruits at the position, but one of their top signings for 2021 is another highly regarded high school prospect at the position when does this negative impact kick in for the Sooners?

Maybe the 2022 class though if Rattler does make it to the NFL as did Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts I tend to think that only strengthens their sales pitch.  

It’s true, the offense has done well enough to recruit basically anyone at qb. Let’s cool it on, “there’s been no effect so there won’t be”, though. 
Baker was not hunted, he was a walk-on looking for a better opportunity. Alan bowman had a better true freshman year.

Kyler Murray was terrible as a freshman. Showed flashes, but oh god just not very good at the college game. Kenny Trill had more buzz. Which, lol. So was chokelahoma hunting starters on the xfer market with Baker and Murray? No. They were doing supplemental recruiting. Great gets, and both turned out pretty fucking good for them, but not hunting starters.

Hurts was the first one where you thought, oh, shit. This is a thing now. And that happened after rattler was committed. Now, good for them for holding into him, but the jury is still out in development. Kid has a sick arm, but he’s having a tough time with reading defenses and that’s something that at least 2/3 xfers had coming in.

Caleb Williams, well, go read about him as a prospect. Then, go read his SI blog. Then, go hunt message boards for some comments from his parents. Yeah, that’s not going to be a good fit for a lot of reasons. But it’s the perfect fit for him as a recruit. I think we’ll see him at Maryland by his rs-s year.

If Rattler develops into a serious pro prospect, this shit is gone. But to think that Riley still can’t be dinged for this or that it won’t still bite him in the ass with hs recruits is silly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, PGFrog said:

Exactly what is the standard for OU being successful on the field?  Winning the conference and making the CFP again?  The three losses don't seem to be hurting them just like the transfer quarterbacks haven't seem to impacted the interest of high school quarterbacks.

Yes blOU has been kicking our asses in the B12 for awhile.  And transfers have definitely helped.  Not gonna get into the weeds of "defining success" but blOU folks that I know are tired of catching shit from SEC folks for their recent postseason losses to Lsu (63-28), Bama (45-34), and Georgia (54-48).  Not winning any recent games in the CFP has some blOU folks frustrated.

And in discussions with friends that are connected to Texas High School Football, some concern has been brought up about blOU's increased willingness to bring in more transfers to replace some young 2nd and 3rd year players.  

So this year, some diehard blOU folks expect Riley to get their 2021 team to the CFP Championship Game.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So this year, some diehard blOU folks expect Riley to get their 2021 team to the CFP Championship Game.

They'll be regionally good as always, but they're still far behind Bama, Clemson, and even Ohio State. I'm sure they should make the CFP, but that's where it ends until proven otherwise. Those aforementioned teams have all recruited light years ahead of ou, and the talent discrepancy is large. 

But, what may help them is I don't know who Ohio State will be replacing Fields with, but even so their D is still great. Same with Bama and Bryce Young. I just don't think Riley can get over the hump, imo. 

37 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

They'll be regionally good as always, but they're still far behind Bama, Clemson, and even Ohio State. I'm sure they should make the CFP, but that's where it ends until proven otherwise. Those aforementioned teams have all recruited light years ahead of ou, and the talent discrepancy is large. 

But, what may help them is I don't know who Ohio State will be replacing Fields with, but even so their D is still great. Same with Bama and Bryce Young. I just don't think Riley can get over the hump, imo. 

But can they prevent us from getting to the hump is the actual question here?

Oh wow. I thought Georgia did since they lost 2 games, but you're right. Apparently Florida won it with 4 losses. That's...fucking strange. Regardless, Florida isn't going to do shit. My point remains that he isn't going to have another Kyle Trask walking through that door anytime soon (within the next 3-4 seasons). 

Man you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PGFrog said:

The Midget and Hurts both started exactly 1 season.  And Baker Douchenozzle was basically a high school recruit. The topic was transfers with multiple years of eligibility.  But nice strawman.

15 hours ago, quigley said:

1. They can get recruited over with high school kids, JUCOs, and even walk-ons at OU (walk-ons have started at QB, WR, RB, OL, LB at OU in the last 5 yrs). So what's the difference in transfers from 4 yr colleges doing the same thing?

If you get beat out by a high school kid recruited after you, that's on you.  If you get recruited over by an upper classman transfer, that's the coaches telling you you're not good enough.  If you can't see the difference, you're being intentionally obtuse.  Per usual.

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Seems to work for College Station.

Agreed, but BCS population is 273,000 to Ames' 66,000. And Houston is about 100 miles away with a population of 6 million, while Ames is about 40 miles from Des Moines (650,000+). That said, I would much rather live in Ames than BCS.

Plus, Jimbo Fisher is a midget dickhead and I think Campbell is a good team guy who cares about his players and team chemistry. And his offense isn't a stone age offense (even if not super creative).

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Transfer Portal Changing College Football (Late Kick Cut). 

Talks about future staff changes necessary to better handle transfer recruitment, maintaining current roster, and transfer portal. 

Also Coaches better handle NIL well too -- Head Coaches will have to assume even more CEO responsibilities...

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Surprised to hear Daniel Young is back with the team after appearing  in this video discussing Herman Firing.   Still doubtful that he'll be on the roster next fall for the 2021 season...

I'm not going to try to listen to that, was there anything interesting about that chat?

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'm not going to try to listen to that, was there anything interesting about that chat?

Bad audio, some of the players said too early to fire Herman. 

Just doesn't make sense for a current player (Daniel Young) to be involved in this video...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Scholz said:

If you get beat out by a high school kid recruited after you, that's on you.  If you get recruited over by an upper classman transfer, that's the coaches telling you you're not good enough.  If you can't see the difference, you're being intentionally obtuse.  Per usual.

OU has a history of taking transfers with multiple years of playing time available, JUCO transfers.
From 2017-2020, they took 11. The Sooners recruiting has improved over this time.
Empirically, the data supporting the assertion that taking transfers with multiple years available hurts HS recruiting isn't there.

OU recruiting
2017: JUCO 3, 4 yr college transfer 1 (grad transfer)
2018: JUCO 2, 4 yr college transfer 0
2019: JUCO 3, 4 yr college transfer 2 (both grad transfer)
2020: JUCO 3, 4 yr college transfer 3 (2 grad transfer, 1 multiyear)
2021: JUCO 0, 4 yr college transfer 5 (1 grad transfer, 4 multiyear)

Public comments about each of the multiyear transfers
- Morris and Gray (4 to play 3): would go pro if they has a good 2021 (both are eligible)
- Bowens (5 to play 4): likely re-portal in a year or two
- Lawerance (5 to play 4): unclear

One thing to consider is that most of the transfers won't be around when the HS recruits are upper classmen. 2022 and 2023 will teach us if there's something unique about getting multiyear transfers from 4 yr schools.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Agreed, but BCS population is 273,000 to Ames' 66,000. And Houston is about 100 miles away with a population of 6 million, while Ames is about 40 miles from Des Moines (650,000+). That said, I would much rather live in Ames than BCS.

Plus, Jimbo Fisher is a midget dickhead and I think Campbell is a good team guy who cares about his players and team chemistry. And his offense isn't a stone age offense (even if not super creative).

I've been to Ames, and it's awful.  Iowa City, on the other hand...now that's a college town.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU has a history of taking transfers with multiple years of playing time available...

The Sooners recruiting has improved over this time.Empirically, the data supporting the assertion that taking transfers with multiple years available hurts HS recruiting isn't there.

I would submit that your improved recruiting recently is more of a function of you winning many conference titles in a row and at least getting bites at the playoff apple. And that you’re confusing correlation and causation. And that high school recruits would look on this recruiting model less favorably otherwise.

That said, it’s working for you now and in any case I apologize for interrupting the $ooner transfer thread on the Longhorn website. Do carry on.

Edited by Scholz

46 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I would submit that your improved recruiting recently is more of a function of you winning many conference titles in a row and at least getting bites at the playoff apple. And that you’re confusing correlation and causation. And that high school recruits would look on this recruiting model less favorably otherwise.

That said, it’s working for you now and in any case I apologize for interrupting the $ooner transfer thread on the Longhorn website. Do carry on.

Just a reminder, I didn't bring up OU's use of transfers here. Your confederates did in response to the Sooners' success in the portal this cycle. My responses have  pointed out that OU's use of transfers isn't new, and there is no data to say it's been bad for recruiting HS players.

I agree with you that OU's improved recruiting is due to a better on-the-field product. These positions are congruous.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Scholz said:

The Midget and Hurts both started exactly 1 season.  And Baker Douchenozzle was basically a high school recruit. The topic was transfers with multiple years of eligibility.  But nice strawman.

Guess,  though I am confused how a guy who plays multiple games at Tech and would have been at Tech had Kliff handled it differently was basically a high school recruit.  

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Just a reminder, I didn't bring up OU's use of transfers here. Your confederates did in response to the Sooners' success in the portal this cycle.

Stipulated, Counselor. As I said, carry on. Far be it for me to muzzle your many novellas on the topic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Guess,  though I am confused how a guy who plays multiple games at Tech and would have been at Tech had Kliff handled it differently was basically a high school recruit.  

Answered, but you cherry picked something you could niche into your point. He was an undersized, under-recruited, WALK ON at the shittiest P5 option in Texas. Not the aggyest, the shittiest. So his exploration of the transfer market was not dissimilar from a high school experience he did not have while now appearing to resemble a college qb.
Are you done with this now? Do you have any more horribly formed sentences to offer on the subject?
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Answered, but you cherry picked something you could niche into your point. He was an undersized, under-recruited, WALK ON at the shittiest P5 option in Texas. Not the aggyest, the shittiest. So his exploration of the transfer market was not dissimilar from a high school experience he did not have while now appearing to resemble a college qb.
Are you done with this now? Do you have any more horribly formed sentences to offer on the subject?

The guy is a point guard frog. I don’t know what you expect. He’s going to lead the discussion down the thread while jumping wildly all over the place. It’s hopeless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No,  got the answers I was expecting.   

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The guy is a point guard frog. I don’t know what you expect. He’s going to lead the discussion down the thread while jumping wildly all over the place. It’s hopeless. 

I don't expect much. He seems like a shitty poster so far.

He's better suited for the football board.

• Haha 1