2021 transfer thread

Machinator

48 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Getting a known P5 quality OT is rare. Really good get by them.

On the TN side, Heupel has an opportunity to remake the roster I guess...with a poor recent history and sanctions looming. The only analogous situation I can think of is Penn St after JoePa died.

Edited by quigley

Getting a known P5 quality OT is rare. Really good get by them.
On the TN side, Heupel has an opportunity to remake the roster I guess...with a poor recent history and sanctions looming. The only analogous situation I can think of is Penn St after JoePa died.

“Died” is maybe not why that was a challenge.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

So I am assuming this person has never seen the cold war era type buildings before committing? 

Honestly covid has probably helped A&Ms recruiting because recruits aren't able to see how shitty the campus and their buildings are.  They can instead just show them a video of kyle field and their football facility and the recruits don't think to ask about anything else.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 4:06 PM, MoJames said:

I'm not going to try to listen to that, was there anything interesting about that chat?

The dumbest thing I heard is players thinking we were on track by winning dog shit bowl games then Kirk Johnson correcting them saying at Texas the goal is big 12 championships and nattys

Short note on Dreshun Miller, from the WVU 247 site.

Spoiler

WVU starting defensive back leaving the team
CHRIS ANDERSON

West Virginia starting cornerback Dreshun Miller dropped some shocking news on Thursday night, announcing that he was entering his name in the NCAA Transfer Portal. The former junior college defensive back came to WVU, redshirted, and then started nine of ten games last year, missing just the bowl game due to health safety protocols. He graded out as one of the better players on an elite defense

Miller joins safety Noah Guzman, offensive linemen Briason Mays and Blaine Scott, running back Alec Sinkfield, wide receiver Ali Jennings, quarterback Austin Kendall, and linebacker Charlie Benton as scholarship players that have entered the portal since the end of the season. Offensive lineman Junior Uzebu, defensive backs Tavian Mayo and Tacorey Turner, defensive lineman Quay Mays, and wide receivers Zack Dobson and Keion Wakefield entered the portal prior to that. 

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Short note on Dreshun Miller, from the WVU 247 site.

Hide contents

WVU starting defensive back leaving the team
CHRIS ANDERSON

West Virginia starting cornerback Dreshun Miller dropped some shocking news on Thursday night, announcing that he was entering his name in the NCAA Transfer Portal. The former junior college defensive back came to WVU, redshirted, and then started nine of ten games last year, missing just the bowl game due to health safety protocols. He graded out as one of the better players on an elite defense

Miller joins safety Noah Guzman, offensive linemen Briason Mays and Blaine Scott, running back Alec Sinkfield, wide receiver Ali Jennings, quarterback Austin Kendall, and linebacker Charlie Benton as scholarship players that have entered the portal since the end of the season. Offensive lineman Junior Uzebu, defensive backs Tavian Mayo and Tacorey Turner, defensive lineman Quay Mays, and wide receivers Zack Dobson and Keion Wakefield entered the portal prior to that. 

Sounds like things are going swimmingly there in Morgantown.

Just now, golfclap said:

No idea. I thought he was a good hire and good fit. I’m not really sure what’s happening but 13 players is half a class and that’s a lot of starters. 

Pretty sure they also had double digit transfers the year before so something’s not going right over there. 

One of my good friends is a former teammate of Brown’s and they’re buddies. I’ll see him soon and get his thoughts. His take on Brown the last time we talked was that there was a ton of fucked culture hovering over the program in Morgantown. That was from last summer though. This looks like it’s on Brown versus the prior regime. 

• Like 1

Texas State:  Spavs still could sign a few 2021 High School players, but probably fills most current 2021 roster holes through transfers this spring or early summer before August 1st...

Good explanation of Spavs strategy in article below...

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-State-football-2021-class-no-high-school-recruits-transfer-portal-signees--160784444/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

He got benched for a grad transfer from BC, Anthony Brown. Guess he didn't think he'd unseat Brown, and didn't want to wait through the year Brown has left to try again.

He got recruited over.  Ty Thompson is going to be a monster and so looking at 3rd string, he graduated in 3 years and has 3 years to play elsewhere.  He’s a low P5/ high G5 starting QB IMO.  Solid but nothing special 

Edited by Zhorn96
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas State:  Spavs still could sign a few 2021 High School players, but probably fills most current 2021 roster holes through transfers this spring or early summer before August 1st...

Good explanation of Spavs strategy in article below...

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-State-football-2021-class-no-high-school-recruits-transfer-portal-signees--160784444/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Lulz, that’s not a strategy, that’s rank desperation and trying to keep the heat off of you. The line that matters:

“Our whole intentions were to sign high school kids. That’s what we do,” Spavital told 247Sports. “But we weren’t lucky to have any guys who wanted to commit. We got to the point where we had to start looking around for some of these kids looking for other opportunities in the portal.”

The “evaluations” justification farther down is absurd. Every other staff in the country figured out how to do this but not you? Or you’re just playing 4D chess, Spav, and that much smarter? 

He may be a fine person but nothing in Spavital’s coordination or HC record indicates that he is a next level brain genius.

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Lulz, that’s not a strategy, that’s rank desperation and trying to keep the heat off of you. The line that matters:

The “evaluations” justification farther down is absurd. Every other staff in the country figured out how to do this but not you? Or you’re just playing 4D chess, Spav, and that much smarter? 

He may be a fine person but nothing in Spavital’s coordination or HC record indicates that he is a next level brain genius.

Eh, I think it makes some sense for this year.  It’s not long term sustainable but if his roster is really 70% underclassmen and he has a chance to get some older players who don’t have to sit, it could balance his classes better.  Sounds like they went ofer on the guys they offered so rather than reach on fringe guys, take the more known guys and see what happens

2 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

Eh, I think it makes some sense for this year.  It’s not long term sustainable but if his roster is really 70% underclassmen and he has a chance to get some older players who don’t have to sit, it could balance his classes better.  Sounds like they went ofer on the guys they offered so rather than reach on fringe guys, take the more known guys and see what happens

I could see it if he is aiming to win a couple years right now and do not care what tire fire you’re leaving behind, but it’s really not going to be helpful for that roster. Especially because, let’s face it— the cream of the transfer crop is not going there.  It’s kicking problems down the road. I’d be having a hard talk with Spav if I were that AD.