2021 transfer thread

Machinator

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Probably more "offer the best best players available" than concerns about Sweat, imo 

Kwiatkowski loves to rotate at defensive tackle. The first thing Washington fans told me is you need 4 or 5 quality defensive tackles in his system. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm no expert on manipulating signee numbers, but the two obvious options would be trapdooring a couple 21 signees who haven't enrolled yet by the voluntary withdrawal provisions Fud cited from the Bama boards, or have Ovie and/or the new transfers not show up until after the start of the academic year so they count as signees for the next class, like Schooler did last year.  Obviously that subtracts from the 25 hard cap for the 22 class, but it would be an option. If the staff doesn't plan on starting Ovie this year, then he might be a guy that makes sense to have wait to show up if we need another transfer spot for a player of greater need. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm no expert on manipulating signee numbers, but the two obvious options would be trapdooring a couple 21 signees who haven't enrolled yet by the voluntary withdrawal provisions Fud cited from the Bama boards

There aren't any rumors about it but it's also possible that the coaches are aware of a grades or clearinghouse issue that could keep someone from enrolling and open up another spot I guess. 

11 signed guys yet to enroll fwiw. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

There aren't any rumors about it but it's also possible that the coaches are aware of a grades or clearinghouse issue that could keep someone from enrolling and open up another spot I guess. 

11 signed guys yet to enroll fwiw. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

Doubt it happens but I’d imagine Cain would be the logical trap door candidate

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Doubt it happens but I’d imagine Cain would be the logical trap door candidate

Yeah I  doubt they would wait this long and then trap door a kid who signed a LOI but Cain would probably be the first on the list. WR is the last place where we need more guys on scholarship that aren't going to produce. 

Even if the staff identifies Merril as a total JAG they can't really push him out and leave us with a single OL in the class. Thanks Hand!

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, we're after Kaufman: https://auburn.n.rivals.com/news/auburn-pushing-hard-for-vanderbilt-transfer-db

“I’ve talked to a lot of people at Auburn,” Kaufman said. “I’ve talked to Coach Mason, Coach Zac, the head coach, Coach Harsin … a lot of them. I already knew Coach Etheridge a little bit because he recruited me out of high school when he was at Houston. I really like him, too.”

Kaufman has not visited Auburn, but is planning to experience a virtual visit soon. He knows enough already to have strong interest.

“I know Auburn is a great school in a great city with a great college atmosphere,” Kaufman said.

Auburn will have to fight off other contenders to land Kaufman. Texas and Florida State both are heavily involved as well.

“I know people on Texas’ staff, and who wouldn’t want to be a Longhorn?,” Kaufman said. “You’re in a big city like Austin with a lot of corporations. It’s also a great atmosphere and they love football.

“With Florida State, it’s the same thing. I visited there in high school and it was a great atmosphere and they love ball. They love their Seminoles.”

Kaufman believes one of the three schools likely will be his choice.

“It’s mainly Auburn, Texas and FSU right now,” Kaufman said. “All of these schools love their ball. They have support. They take care of their athletes. I feel like these schools are all good fits for me and places I could thrive.”

A decision could come relatively soon.

“I want to make my decision mid-May,” he said.

Rivals.com’s Mike Farrell’s Take: Kaufman is a popular player in the portal as a versatile defensive back who can tackle and is very physical. He was a huge get for Vanderbilt and many big Power Five schools wanted him out of Louisiana. He can hit and showed so during limited time last season and Vandy's loss will be a big gain for someone.

Roach on Kaufman

Spoiler

— Safety depth has been a concern for Texas this year and it sounds like they are looking for some options in the transfer portal. Texas recently reached out to former Vanderbilt safety Donovan Kaufman and recently concluded a Zoom presentation with him. The former New Orleans native entered the transfer portal two days ago and has been talking with several other programs. Most notably, Auburn is involved and former Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason is on staff as DC for the Tigers. We are set to talk with Kaufman sometime this weekend, but there is a legitimate interest in the Longhorns.

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Kaufman

Reveal hidden contents

— Safety depth has been a concern for Texas this year and it sounds like they are looking for some options in the transfer portal. Texas recently reached out to former Vanderbilt safety Donovan Kaufman and recently concluded a Zoom presentation with him. The former New Orleans native entered the transfer portal two days ago and has been talking with several other programs. Most notably, Auburn is involved and former Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason is on staff as DC for the Tigers. We are set to talk with Kaufman sometime this weekend, but there is a legitimate interest in the Longhorns.

Ugh. The regrettable moment when you click on a thread and realize that the only post you haven’t read is some sort of nonsensical drivel from Mike Roach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

That’s what, 3 LB transfers and we’re still going after two more.

Good Lord, Orlando was such a disaster.

For the most part, the Texas roster is in far better shape than it was in 2017. Linebacker and wide receiver are the obvious exceptions. The good news is if there ever were positions that could be fixed quickly via the portal, it’s those two. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

For the most part, the Texas roster is in far better shape than it was in 2017. Linebacker and wide receiver are the obvious exceptions. The good news is if there ever were positions that could be fixed quickly via the portal, it’s those two. 

Yes, but there is a lot of work to do. In addition to the WR and LB issues, there is no edge rusher. There is also little reliable depth on the OL (although much better than it has been) and lack of a proven LT. Safety depth is limited and the QB room is unproven. I think this staff is fixing the issues, maybe before we play our first game, but...

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yes, but there is a lot of work to do. In addition to the WR and LB issues, there is no edge rusher. There is also little reliable depth on the OL (although much better than it has been) and lack of a proven LT. Safety depth is limited and the QB room is unproven. I think this staff is fixing the issues, maybe before we play our first game, but...

I do not think the OL and QB questions are lack of talented players on campus. Same with safety. They just have work to do to coach them up. They have the edge rusher situation resolved with current and projected transfers. If we get our top guys healthy by August and grab one more receiver in the portal, that position won’t be as dire as what it looked like Saturday.

We need four viable linebackers and we had one Saturday. We get one back for fall camp and I guess the NMSU guy is someone we can count on? Hopefully the USC transfer can fill out the two deep. It won’t be pretty if we are legit counting on a Brock or Ford to play key snaps this fall. They just do not look ready yet. 

Someone is going to need to remind me what happens when this guy realizes no one has any interest in him as a player? We don't have to let him have his scholarship back if he takes his name out of the portal, do we? I refuse to get ahead of myself and get excited about this until we're sure he absolutely won't be back. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone is going to need to remind me what happens when this guy realizes no one has any interest in him as a player? We don't have to let him have his scholarship back if he takes his name out of the portal, do we? I refuse to get ahead of myself and get excited about this until we're sure he absolutely won't be back. 

From what I've seen of Sark so far it seems like he may be the coach that says once you enter the portal you're effectively quitting on the team and may not let them back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wonder if the staff is sitting down with players and letting them know where they stand, especially guys who may not have solidified themselves on this roster?

Absolutely.  Sark said as much on the LHN interview this weekend.  "We will speak with every player now that spring football is over..."

• Hook 'Em 1