2021 transfer thread

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

A WR who could play day one would make the most sense, imo 

Either/or. Has no bearing on 2022 numbers, right?

image.png.ff68dea5a42aeb9bea0027786e3fdfd2.png

Saw this tidbit on a quick google search regarding their receivers.

From the same article this is about their defense:

image.png.5d1707119fdb78643056d1a3f6a399f9.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My daughter applied for Teach For America and on the question about ranking where she'd like to do the work, her reply on the application was "Place of Highest Need", thinking she'd wind up in an inner city school of somewhere like Los Angeles or Detroit. Nope, she got accepted and sent straight to the place of highest need - the Mississippi Delta.

Teaching 3rd grade there, she got punched twice and stabbed once by students. Her whole class got to witness one of their classmate's dads get murdered in front of the school at pick-up by another student's father.

You have to be able to pass a statewide reading exam in the 3rd grade there or you can't advance. She had a 13 year old, several 12 YOs and a bunch of 11s and 10s. I flew in directly once to visit her in the shithole tiny town she was in before her stint was over and spent half the day in the class with her kids. These people are flat out fucked for life. There's not a single redeeming thing about that state's rigged school system. "Attendance" is legitimately one of the main goals of the public system there by 6th grade, so it seems apropos for a school name.

My daughter's class had 90+% of the kids pass the exam in each of her two years, and she's nuts, so she volunteered for a 3rd year mentoring stint and did the same. I couldn't fathom staying there for any stretch, much less 3 years. 

It's a complete shitshow. 

In rare positive Mississippi education news, they have managed to drag statewide school literacy rates up to average (which is big for MS) by switching to a phonics-based learning approach - the Economist had a good (paywalled) article about it last week: https://www.economist.com/united-states/2021/06/12/american-schools-teach-reading-all-wrong

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Either/or. Has no bearing on 2022 numbers, right?

image.png.ff68dea5a42aeb9bea0027786e3fdfd2.png

Saw this tidbit on a quick google search regarding their receivers.

It means potentially one fewer 2022 counter, whether that's a prospect or transfer, so anyone you add needs to be potentially impactful in the win column for 2021 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My daughter applied for Teach For America and on the question about ranking where she'd like to do the work, her reply on the application was "Place of Highest Need", thinking she'd wind up in an inner city school of somewhere like Los Angeles or Detroit. Nope, she got accepted and sent straight to the place of highest need - the Mississippi Delta.

Teaching 3rd grade there, she got punched twice and stabbed once by students. Her whole class got to witness one of their classmate's dads get murdered in front of the school at pick-up by another student's father.

You have to be able to pass a statewide reading exam in the 3rd grade there or you can't advance. She had a 13 year old, several 12 YOs and a bunch of 11s and 10s. I flew in directly once to visit her in the shithole tiny town she was in before her stint was over and spent half the day in the class with her kids. These people are flat out fucked for life. There's not a single redeeming thing about that state's rigged school system. "Attendance" is legitimately one of the main goals of the public system there by 6th grade, so it seems apropos for a school name.

My daughter's class had 90+% of the kids pass the exam in each of her two years, and she's nuts, so she volunteered for a 3rd year mentoring stint and did the same. I couldn't fathom staying there for any stretch, much less 3 years. 

God Bless her for trying to help.. sounds like a nightmare

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck all that. Just go teach at title 1 school in texas get loan forgiveness and call it a day.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Tell your daughter that we thank her for her service.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Going to guess Yazoo City based solely on the experience of a friend of mine that got beat up and then sued by one of her shitty students and her shitty parents while doing Teach for America.

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

God Bless her for trying to help.. sounds like a nightmare

2 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

Tell your daughter that we thank her for her service.

You guys are great.

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Going to guess Yazoo City based solely on the experience of a friend of mine that got beat up and then sued by one of her shitty students and her shitty parents while doing Teach for America.

It was Clarksdale. It ended up working out pretty well for her. She learned a lot and eventually wound up marrying one of her TFA peers who seems like a great dude. 

Any who...

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are great.

It was Clarksdale. It ended up working out pretty well for her. She learned a lot and eventually wound up marrying one of her TFA peers who seems like a great dude. 

Any who...

Thanks, pics not showing up...

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My mom was born in Yazoo and lived there off and on as a child. In fact, Texas alum Willie Morris's mother was her piano teacher. My grandparents retired there, and I enjoyed staying with them in the summer as a teenager, but it really became a shithole over time. My grandmother moved when my grandfather died because she felt unsafe.

I went back through Yazoo City when my grandmother died, ~20 years after she had moved away. It is almost unrecognizable now.

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

My mom was born in Yazoo and lived there off and on as a child. In fact, Texas alum Willie Morris's mother was her piano teacher. My grandparents retired there, and I enjoyed staying with them in the summer as a teenager, but it really became a shithole over time. My grandmother moved when my grandfather died because she felt unsafe.

I went back through Yazoo City when my grandmother died, ~20 years after she had moved away. It is almost unrecognizable now.

My dad's family is from Kosciusko and Corinth. Rural Mississippi has had a rough century, and it wasn't exactly starting on the mountaintop.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I taught in Houston ISD 25 yrs ago. Within the same district, there were elementary schools that spent 8k/child per year (River Oaks) and 1.5k/child per year (several 5th Ward schools). Some of those 13 year olds were 6' tall and could land a punch.

Edited by quigley

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are great.

Any who...

Sounds like a real American Cheese story. Hopefully the guy makes some cheddar and not monterey jack.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Sounds like a real American Cheese story. Hopefully the guy makes some cheddar and not monterey jack.

Ironically for the cheese pun fanboys, he actually makes and moves a galactic fuckton of cheese's favorite partner. His family does, at least. It's an absurd overall story but not one about 2021 transfers, I'm afraid. I don't want to risk hearing the thread puritans wine over it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, quigley said:

I taught in Houston ISD 25 yrs ago. Within the same district, there were elementary schools that spent 8k/child per year (River Oaks) and 1.5k/child per year (several 5th Ward schools). Some of those 13 year olds were 6' tall and could land a punch.

Quigley, I did volunteer teaching in HISD 40 years ago. I taught 4th and 8th graders. It was sad even back then. I had one 8th grader who came up to me after class one Friday and thanked me for teaching the class. I asked him if he was transferring elsewhere and he said that tomorrow I turn 18 and don't have to go to school anymore. I also had kids taller than I am. Without some radical changes, it's not going to get any better.

CTJ, congrats and best wishes to your daughter. She went beyond the call of duty and it sounds like things worked out well for her.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ironically for the cheese pun fanboys, he actually makes and moves a galactic fuckton of cheese's favorite partner. His family does, at least. It's an absurd overall story but not one about 2021 transfers, I'm afraid. I don't want to risk hearing the thread puritans wine over it.

But what else are we supposed to do to pass the time while Bordeaux?

16 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Quigley, I did volunteer teaching in HISD 40 years ago. I taught 4th and 8th graders. It was sad even back then. I had one 8th grader who came up to me after class one Friday and thanked me for teaching the class. I asked him if he was transferring elsewhere and he said that tomorrow I turn 18 and don't have to go to school anymore. I also had kids taller than I am. Without some radical changes, it's not going to get any better.

CTJ, congrats and best wishes to your daughter. She went beyond the call of duty and it sounds like things worked out well for her.

My neighbor's kid had a generous scholarship to Gonzaga but dropped out. He's a kid who doesn't mind being alone and reading on the front porch of his mom's house, so I never quite got what happened at school. At first he was determined to 100% avoid college. He tried working in a restaurant kitchen then a stint in the furniture /homegoods relocation indiustry, then as a plumber's apprentice. Guess who decided to go back to college this semester.

Also the only (edit: great) thing the Delta makes me think about is Doe's Eat Place in Greenville. Good enough to be worth a road trip all by itself. Natchez Trace Parkway could be great but the speed limit is too low and there's too many speed traps.

Edited by Chopper

On 6/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, closetojumping said:

Much crazier than her father who follows teenagers lives on a message board for sure. Dr Evil Whatever GIF

I have family that lives in Oxford near Ole Miss and it’s beautiful there but the people in the country are so far behind in life it’s damn near unbelievable. 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, closetojumping said:

Sounds like you raised a tough one because all 5 women that I know who fell for Teach for America all switched careers once their time was up.

26 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Much crazier than her father who follows teenagers lives on a message board for sure. Dr Evil Whatever GIF

I have family that lives in Oxford near Ole Miss and it’s beautiful there but the people in the country are so far behind in life it’s damn near unbelievable. 

Winning, we played Ole Miss in Oxford in the early 70s. Downtown was one city block and the only 2 story building was the hotel where we stayed. When we left to head to campus for our game, we took a small farm to market road about a couple of miles and then there was a 3 way stop. You could go straight, turn right into the Sonic Drive inn which was the only fast food place there or left towards campus. The campus was really pretty back then. The only women that we met while staying there were from New York and New Jersey. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Todd Orlando's Home for Wayward Longhorns claims another one.

He’s actually going to his ideal offensive system. USC is usually loaded at WR though, so he might not a lock to start if healthy 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

He’s actually going to his ideal offensive system. USC is usually loaded at WR though, so he might not a lock to start if healthy 

They are pretty stacked at the position. I still think he would be better off going to a smaller school where he could be featured. If he is running second team for another year I see him doing the same thing there. 

“Wherever you go, there you are. “

- Someone smart 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They are pretty stacked at the position. I still think he would be better off going to a smaller school where he could be featured. If he is running second team for another year I see him doing the same thing there. 

“Wherever you go, there you are. “

- Someone smart 

Should have gone to SMU

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Least surprising news of the weekend

SECOND arrest... this time for weed. Don't know if last time was for weed as well.

Weed needs to be legalized ASAP. Still can't drive while fucked up, but fuck making it illegal.