How long will Sark be head football coach at Texas?

perfectchaos007

How long will Sark be head football coach at Texas?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Sark be head football coach at Texas?

• 2 seasons or less. Poor on the field results and/or falls off the wagon with his personal issues. Worse than Charlie Strong. CDC fired too
    • 3 seasons. Charlie Strong level of failure. This probably leads to CDC's exit as well
    • 4 seasons. Showed promise at times, but clear he can't get us over the hump. Herman level of failure
    • 5-7 seasons. Fairly successful tenure. He probably wins at least 1 Big12 title in this timeframe
    • 8-10 seasons. At least a few conference titles and a couple playoff appearances during his time here.
    • 11+ seasons. He's the next DKR

No one is calling for his head right now if anything they are saying we can see from last Saturday he probably isn’t the guy.

How does anyone that watched the game come away not worried? I can handle a loss I can’t handle a loss because we played unprepared and with no intensity or emotion. I don’t care if you get “your guys” in or not you won’t win many games looking like you didn’t even practice the week of the game. And FYI you keep looking like a team that has zero passion and quit by halftime you won’t be getting “your guys” in here. I’d love to see a coach come in and coach up lesser guys and get them to play above they’re talent level instead of always having the “we need better guys” excuse locked and fucking loaded. Pittman got his team pretty jacked and last time I checked he doesn’t have fucking 4/5 stars roaming the sidelines.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, markstanco said:

Supposed to win 8 games per Vegas odds.

We all knew this 3 months ago. New coaches and a QB that played high school football a few months back. Pretty hilarious dipshits calling for his head.

Nobody knew that we would be completely unprepared and uninspired to play a rival in a rowdy environment. That is inexcusable.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I heard Pittman on the radio yesterday talking about the game and what it meant to his team and their fans.  He grew up and hour from campus and has a passion for that job.  It was actually fun to hear and it made me jealous.

Some people still don't get it. This will happen again.

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think every coach should get at least 3 years.  Will get back to you guys then.

Yup I'd say as long as he doesn't buy the players pizza during a rain delay and lose to someone like Maryland he deserves 3 years minimum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Zeus said:

34–29 at Washington

But he took over a team that went 0-12 the year before he got there. 

Yeah he never got Washington over any type of hump, he put out the dumpster fire there but not much else.  USC hired him because they knew him from his time as an assistant under Carroll and obviously thought highly of him.  His tenure at Washington didn't earn him the USC or Texas jobs.  His seasons as an assistant did.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Didn't want to start another thread (because usually they suck), but my reaction after the (metaphysically certain) loss to WVa:

I don't think I've ever seen the program at such a shitty state in my 45+ years of following Texas football.  I could elaborate why and reminisce about the glory years of Texas football in which I grew up (mostly 60's-70's with of course the Mack era), but that's a no-brainer.

Of course Sark will get another year, and I guess most people would think it's nuts to not have him back.  I agree to a point, but...

... if there's been any time in the past that letting a guy go after one year: 1) really wouldn't collapse the now-basement state of the program any further, and 2) can try (yet again, sigh) to find someone to build something back, it would be this year.

Yes it's a crapshoot to get a new coach and yes, I get that a lot of this was inherited.  But after watching this year and the rocket-sled descent to borderline chaos which is under him, does anyone feel like next year will be a lot different (don't even start on if SEC in 22...)?  I mean it's in unprecedented territory how shitty the team is, way more than most big programs.  I just can't escape the nagging sense that Sark is over his head.  Are we going to "hope that it turns around" (because what does anyone see that would give you hope?  Maybe a stellar recruiting year, which I doubt right now)?  

Anyway I know this is all just a typing exercise, because they're not gonna fire him after one year.  And reluctantly I get it and can live with it.

But - if they did - I don't think there would be any real downside to an already-at-or-near-all-time-lows program.  FWIW.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bump.

Didn't want to start another thread (because usually they suck), but my reaction after the (metaphysically certain) loss to WVa:
I don't think I've ever seen the program at such a shitty state in my 45+ years of following Texas football.  I could elaborate why and reminisce about the glory years of Texas football in which I grew up (mostly 60's-70's with of course the Mack era), but that's a no-brainer.

Of course Sark will get another year, and I guess most people would think it's nuts to not have him back.  I agree to a point, but...

... if there's been any time in the past that letting a guy go after one year: 1) really wouldn't collapse the now-basement state of the program any further, and 2) can try (yet again, sigh) to find someone to build something back, it would be this year.

Yes it's a crapshoot to get a new coach and yes, I get that a lot of this was inherited.  But after watching this year and the rocket-sled descent to borderline chaos which is under him, does anyone feel like next year will be a lot different (don't even start on if SEC in 22...)?  I mean it's in unprecedented territory how shitty the team is, way more than most big programs.  I just can't escape the nagging sense that Sark is over his head.  Are we going to "hope that it turns around" (because what does anyone see that would give you hope?  Maybe a stellar recruiting year, which I doubt right now)?  

Anyway I know this is all just a typing exercise, because they're not gonna fire him after one year.  And reluctantly I get it and can live with it.

But - if they did - I don't think there would be any real downside to an already-at-or-near-all-time-lows program.  FWIW.

I agree. I was Team Sark when we brought him on board. I think a lot of what we see is not his doing but I’ve liked the offense in stretches. I don’t think Casey is a world-beater by any stretch but the thumb injury just crushed him.

I’ve come to my conclusion that Sark needs an ass-kicker/assistant HC/DC to allow him to just focus on the offensive side of things and be the quarterback whisperer and shit. I think Boom would’ve been great in that role. I don’t know who else fits like that but he has to exist somewhere.

Not an ideal situation by any stretch but it’s where we are. Or Sark plays this out and we are HC hunting in December 2023.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bump.

The main downside is that perception is often reality when it comes to instability, dysfunction, etc. Players and recruits notice that. Texas simply can’t afford two or three straight transition classes, which is what you’d end up with. Of course, it’s a damned if you do , damned if you don’t situation at this point, because it’s obvious as hell a Sark-led program is going to be a doormat in the SEC even if it can recover to 7-8 wins next year (and in doubtful of that). But that’s not the concern of Hartzell, Eltife, or CDC. For them, even if they wanted to fire Sark - and they don’t because that’s their hire, they don’t want to admit a mistake - it’s a non starter because of the financial impact. That will always rule the day at Texas and other major college programs at this point.

The “we’d never be able to get a good coach” bit is dumb. For one, the paycheck and opportunity still make it a top tier job. For two, football coaches don’t look at Sark’s performance this year and think “wow, they fire me if I do that,” because none of them think that’s how it would go with them at the helm. Sark took over a program that went 25-12 in the three years prior with a roster competent enough to cruise past an otherwise 10-0 ULL in the first game, be up 28-7 and 41-23 vs Oklahoma… and is going to go 4-8, remembered for the biggest choke in Texas history and one of the worst teams the University of Texas has ever fielded. No coach would be deterred from the Texas job if Sark hypothetically got fired for that because none of them even consider that a possibility on their watch.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Unless changes are made in who is involved with choosing the head football coach, firing Sark does nothing. 

The process that lead to Sarkisian’s hiring resulted in abysmal failure. Firing Sark and allowing the same process to provide a replacement coach will end in abysmal failure. 

The heart of the problem is cronie politics lead to people being appointed to places of high leadership who are incapable of admitting they screwed up. 

The screwups are going to get far worse before they get any better. The incompetent(s) bought and paid for the position they were appointed to and as long as the campaign donation checks continue to clear the bank, the one person who could make the necessary leadership changes cares if the UT football team even exists. 

Just wait until the Sarkisian-caliber screwups start showing up on the academic side. Just a matter of time. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I agree. I was Team Sark when we brought him on board. I think a lot of what we see is not his doing but I’ve liked the offense in stretches. I don’t think Casey is a world-beater by any stretch but the thumb injury just crushed him.

I’ve come to my conclusion that Sark needs an ass-kicker/assistant HC/DC to allow him to just focus on the offensive side of things and be the quarterback whisperer and shit. I think Boom would’ve been great in that role. I don’t know who else fits like that but he has to exist somewhere.

Not an ideal situation by any stretch but it’s where we are. Or Sark plays this out and we are HC hunting in December 2023.

So, you’re saying he’s a middling HC and a great OC?

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

What’s this even mean?

His primary role at both schools was to lead off-field operations including: strength and conditioning, sports medicine, video, and non-coaching matters. Now Lovo is headed back to the Longhorns

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyers-coaching-staff-announces-significant-departure/ar-AAQYbNt

36 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

His primary role at both schools was to lead off-field operations including: strength and conditioning, sports medicine, video, and non-coaching matters. Now Lovo is headed back to the Longhorns

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyers-coaching-staff-announces-significant-departure/ar-AAQYbNt

This job is way too big for Sark, just like it was for Charlie.  They are trying to bring someone in who can shore up the shitshow that is everything except offensive play calling.  Maybe he'll be in charge of NIL too.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This job is way too big for Sark, just like it was for Charlie.  They are trying to bring someone in who can shore up the shitshow that is everything except offensive play calling.  Maybe he'll be in charge of NIL too.

Eh, every coach has these guys. 

I was making a joke that Urban was heading here next.

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The process that lead to Sarkisian’s hiring resulted in abysmal failure. Firing Sark and allowing the same process to provide a replacement coach will end in abysmal failure. 

It doesn’t matter who makes the decision.  It’s a total crap shoot.  The sooner we realize this the sooner we stop point fingers and claiming person x or y is stupid for hiring coach z.
If there was a person or “search firm” out there that could identify the next great coach that person would be a bazillionaire.  
doesn’t matter if president, ad, boosters, red mcombs, maconaghy, or immamac chooses the next coach.  

Remember Mack was what, the 2nd or 3rd choice right?   Then Mack anointed muschamp as his successor and, well, he seems like a bullet was dodged when he left for Florida.  
Even if Texas paid urban the $12M there’s no guarantee he succeeds.  

can you imagine the calculus, in which we have this apparently huge dumpster fire from Herman as it relates to players and culture, and the guy you decided was the right guy to turn it around was basically a middling HC for a historically fringe top 25 program.  you do that even though you have another data point of him failing at a blue blood because he couldn't take the pressure.

morons.

• Hook 'Em 2

Howdy!  Sooner fan, here.

When you guys hired Strong, I thought he would be good for your program.  But he couldn't deliver on the field.

When Pee Wee Herman was hired, I was concerned.  He looked great coming out of Houston and I thought he might be the real deal for Texas.  Well, it turned out he wasn't all that was needed -- and weird as hell.

But I really didn't see why Sark was hired.  His best qualifications were 1) he worked for Saban and hopefully some of Saban rubbed off on him and 2). He was clean and sober.

Being sober isn't exactly qualifying to be the HC for what should be one of the best college programs in the nation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, flatsix said:

When you guys hired Strong, I thought he would be good for your program.  But he couldn't deliver on the field.

When Pee Wee Herman was hired, I was concerned.  He looked great coming out of Houston and I thought he might be the real deal for Texas.  Well, it turned out he wasn't all that was needed -- and weird as hell.

But I really didn't see why Sark was hired.  His best qualifications were 1) he worked for Saban and hopefully some of Saban rubbed off on him and 2). He was clean and sober.

Being sober isn't exactly qualifying to be the HC for what should be one of the best college programs in the nation.

Welcome to surly!

34 minutes ago, flatsix said:

It's been so long I have forgotten: was Howard S. off the wagon, or did y'all shitcan him purely based on the crappy job he did in his only season at OU?

Either way, he's my case study in why it's good to ditch somebody after just one season if that season is craptacular enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flatsix said:

flatsix?  Sounds like a Nazi engine.  Maybe if your name was "cross-plane V8" I could take this post seriously.

Hopefully you’ll be wrong 3 times in a row

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's been so long I have forgotten: was Howard S. off the wagon, or did y'all shitcan him purely based on the crappy job he did in his only season at OU?

Either way, he's my case study in why it's good to ditch somebody after just one season if that season is craptacular enough.

If this season doesn't qualify as "craptacular", I don't know what does.

Hard to believe Sark is worse than Strong, but I think we're all close knowing he is/will be.