How long will Sark be head football coach at Texas?

perfectchaos007

How long will Sark be head football coach at Texas?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Sark be head football coach at Texas?

• 2 seasons or less. Poor on the field results and/or falls off the wagon with his personal issues. Worse than Charlie Strong. CDC fired too
    • 3 seasons. Charlie Strong level of failure. This probably leads to CDC's exit as well
    • 4 seasons. Showed promise at times, but clear he can't get us over the hump. Herman level of failure
    • 5-7 seasons. Fairly successful tenure. He probably wins at least 1 Big12 title in this timeframe
    • 8-10 seasons. At least a few conference titles and a couple playoff appearances during his time here.
    • 11+ seasons. He's the next DKR

2 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

who was Nebraska's OC after after Tim Beck? Only logical choice. 

If out next OC is Danny Langsdorf, who took over for Beck as OC at Nebraska and failed, I'll start the Fire Sark thread. Currently Langsdorf is QB coach at Colorado.  He must be a 'quality' coach since he just coached up the 2nd team All-Pac 12 QB.  We all know how impressive that guy is.

As someone who was witness to the meltdown at USC, this is really a 50/50 proposition for you guys. From the human redemption side of it, I hope he has gotten control of his demons and has a successful career.

From a football point-of-view, he hasn’t shown he’s much of an improvement over Herman. Obviously, with the talent at Alabama, being successful as an OC is a lot easier. His staff will be a huge indicator of his success. Bringing in retreads from his stints at UW & USC are going to be a red flag.

As I said, this is a huge coin flip, I hope it works out for Texas. Our situation over here is a dumpster fire being pushed over a cliff while being locked on by a hellfire missle.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I view Herman's tenure fairly similar to John Mackovic's. We got way better from an historic low.  We won games that shocked people (96 Nebraska, '18 Georgia), lost to teams we never should ('94 - TCU/Rice; Herman - TCU every year).  Both were bad personality fits with the Admins and BMDs. In other words, both helped to put us back in a position of winning from coaches that broke the system down (McWilliams and Strong).  However, it seemed pretty apparent that while better, we could always expect dumbass losses and the ceiling was about 9 wins with an occasional elite bowl because of brand name. 

Mack was able to come in a build on that base and win pretty quickly. We had a NC caliber team by 2001. That was mainly built on the strength of the assistant hires. I think Sark has a similar opportunity. He's taking this ship over waaaay better than what Herman had to deal with. While recruiting will dip in the year of the change (it always does); there is enough talent on hand to put together a solid start next year to get recruiting fired back up. Casey Thompson appears more than capable of winning games. It really depends on the quality of the assistants. You nail that and you could get off to a great start and jellyroll like Mack did. I just think that unlike Strong or Herman, Sark is actually taking a program that isn't in decline or terrible shape. It gives a better chance to succeed.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. We had the same type of hype for both Strong and Herman. Exactly the same.

If he has basically the same record as Herman(something like 8 wins, 10 wins, 9 wins, 10 wins)he will make it to 5 years because he's CDC's guy and that is what the contract is for.  I really expect him to have at least 10 wins next year with our schedule but hedging in case the QB transition doesn't go well.

Hopefully we will stop giving extensions for one year of 10 wins. 10 wins doesn't get you shit anymore.  This isn't 1972.

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I really expect him to have at least 10 wins next year with our schedule but hedging in case the QB transition doesn't go well.

Hopefully we will stop giving extensions for one year of 10 wins. 10 wins doesn't get you shit anymore.  This isn't 1972.

10 wins should be the minimum expectation at Texas. 8-9 wins is what I expect from Sark. Nothing about his track record makes me believe hes anything other than a decent coach. Bama's been trucking opponents for 12 years, that wasn't Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

10 wins should be the minimum expectation at Texas. 8-9 wins is what I expect from Sark. Nothing about his track record makes me believe hes anything other than a decent coach. Bama's been trucking opponents for 12 years, that wasn't Sark. 

well yeah but shhhh don't mention that to anyone around here.  we are in the honeymoon stage.  CDC didn't want anyone that might marginalize him and Sark was within budget.  he better build a kick ass staff and recruit like the witch everyone thinks he is.  we'll see. this stage is pretty damn big as Strong and Herman found out.

4 hours ago, Manther said:

I view Herman's tenure fairly similar to John Mackovic's. We got way better from an historic low.  We won games that shocked people (96 Nebraska, '18 Georgia), lost to teams we never should ('94 - TCU/Rice; Herman - TCU every year).  Both were bad personality fits with the Admins and BMDs. In other words, both helped to put us back in a position of winning from coaches that broke the system down (McWilliams and Strong).  However, it seemed pretty apparent that while better, we could always expect dumbass losses and the ceiling was about 9 wins with an occasional elite bowl because of brand name. 

Mack was able to come in a build on that base and win pretty quickly. We had a NC caliber team by 2001. That was mainly built on the strength of the assistant hires. I think Sark has a similar opportunity. He's taking this ship over waaaay better than what Herman had to deal with. While recruiting will dip in the year of the change (it always does); there is enough talent on hand to put together a solid start next year to get recruiting fired back up. Casey Thompson appears more than capable of winning games. It really depends on the quality of the assistants. You nail that and you could get off to a great start and jellyroll like Mack did. I just think that unlike Strong or Herman, Sark is actually taking a program that isn't in decline or terrible shape. It gives a better chance to succeed.

#17 recruiting isn't bad, especially with 9 scholarships left.  And with the transfer portal, there is the opportunity to improve that.  Strong's first year was something like #22 and Hermann's something like #31.

• 8 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, USC_TMB said:

As someone who was witness to the meltdown at USC, this is really a 50/50 proposition for you guys. From the human redemption side of it, I hope he has gotten control of his demons and has a successful career.

From a football point-of-view, he hasn’t shown he’s much of an improvement over Herman. Obviously, with the talent at Alabama, being successful as an OC is a lot easier. His staff will be a huge indicator of his success. Bringing in retreads from his stints at UW & USC are going to be a red flag.

As I said, this is a huge coin flip, I hope it works out for Texas. Our situation over here is a dumpster fire being pushed over a cliff while being locked on by a hellfire missle.

Not much of an improvement? Did Tom Herman’s teams ever get crushed like this, against anybody? Granted he let inferior teams hang around and too often let them win but we were always in the game. We were never in this one. 

13 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

He’s got a fucking long way to go to play for a conference championship.

He's got a fucking long way to go to even sniff .500 at the conclusion of the season after being dominated by SEC bottom feeders that have averaged 1 conference win a season the last 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Not much of an improvement? Did Tom Herman’s teams ever get crushed like this, against anybody? Granted he let inferior teams hang around and too often let them win but we were always in the game. We were never in this one. 

At the time he was named coach, I said that in reference to his ability to take Texas back to the top. He’s been “Seven Win Sark” at every stop, and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change. Of course, we also called him Cutty Sark for obvious reasons…looks like he picked the wrong year to quit drinking.

We’ve got our own issues with a crap coach, so schadenfreude is not in the cards. Good luck the rest of the year

I'll be honest.  Hiring him surprised me.  His stints at UW and USC weren't that great and he had MAJOR off the field problems.  MAJOR.  Not sure why those stints made him a good hire.  Sure, he looked good at Bama but they recruit themselves and being a HC is different than being an OC.

The Texas job shouldn't be a reclamation project but that's what Sark was.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4