Lauren Boobert - Tits and a Gun

MoJames

24 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i think goldsmith v. warhol says that's not how the second of these works

Yeah, that blog seems to have some pretty mediocre copyright takes in its own right, hard to tell which is the proprietor and which is the peanut gallery.

thelaurenboebert.com is about as classic a case of parodic fair use since Hustler cartoons of Larry Flynt.

I thought based on my understanding of the law that the appropriate response to her press secretary's message would have been

"Dear Sir,

We have received your request to take down our website based on your misunderstanding of relevant law. Please suck our dicks.

Kindest Regards,
Attorneys for thelaurenboebert.com"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i think goldsmith v. warhol says that's not how the second of these works

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, that blog seems to have some pretty mediocre copyright takes in its own right, hard to tell which is the proprietor and which is the peanut gallery.

thelaurenboebert.com is about as classic a case of parodic fair use since Hustler cartoons of Larry Flynt.

If I understand that thread right, that is the peanut gallery that bad copyright takes is quoting, and he/she implies they will address those bad takes later.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I thought based on my understanding of the law that the appropriate response to her press secretary's message would have been

"Dear Sir,

We have received your request to take down our website based on your misunderstanding of relevant law. Please suck our dicks.

Kindest Regards,

Nah, should be more like blacklab's response to Daniel Figurelli.

Do you really have a lawyer? Did he tell you to write this email? This was the most pathetic attempt at a threatening email I have ever seen. If he did you need to file a formal complaint with the state bar. You want to see a threatening email?

Go ahead and sue me. I do not give a shit. I've spent more money on lawyers in the last 5 years than you will make in the next 10. Here's what's going to happen when you do.

Edited by Beau Vine

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

"Dear Sir,

Kindest Regards,

Or, the best ever.

"I thought you should be aware that some asshole is writing stupid letters and signing your name to them."

Yes, that one.👆

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

"It goes against relevant terms of service and US law."  

You know, THE INTERNET's relevant terms of service.

Some poor comms person, who was probably hired from her campus Young Conservatives group because she had 10,000 twitter followers, had the misfortune of being the first person Boobert saw when she stormed out of her office after finding the website. "Hey you, yes you...Write this guy a letter and tell him to knock it off with the fake website. Make it sound like a lawyer wrote it". So now poor Meghan, former president of the Young Republicans of SW Colorado College of Chiropractic and Cosmetology, has to dig deep to remember all the legal terms she's ever heard. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Some poor comms person, who was probably hired from her campus Young Conservatives group because she had 10,000 twitter followers, had the misfortune of being the first person Boobert saw when she stormed out of her office after finding the website. "Hey you, yes you...Write this guy a letter and tell him to knock it off with the fake website. Make it sound like a lawyer wrote it". So now poor Meghan, former president of the Young Republicans of SW Colorado College of Chiropractic and Cosmetology, has to dig deep to remember all the legal terms she's ever heard. 

Surprised she didn't cite The Rome Statute.

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

"Dear Sir,

Kindest Regards,

Edit: goddamnit, mfers beat me to it

Edited by wildcat09

Letting your trademarks lapse to own the libs.  Or something like that.

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/news/boebert-opponents-auctioning-off-shooters-grill-logo-in-response-to-demand-to-shut-down-parody/article_a5a63e94-acf6-11eb-b59b-1baa7a03298b.html

A group devoted to defeating U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert at the ballot box is auctioning off the logo used by Shooters Grill, the Silt Republican's gun-themed restaurant in Rifle, after a comedian said Boebert's congressional office demanded he take down a parody website filled with unflattering posts about the controversial lawmaker.

Rural Colorado United, a Pueblo-based independent expenditure group that has been campaigning against Boebert since last summer, said it acquired the distinctive, western-themed Shooters Grill logo after discovering earlier this year that Boebert had let the restaurant's state and federal trademarks lapse.

"There are a lot of people out there more clever than us, and we sure don't want to let this opportunity go to waste," the group tweeted Tuesday along with a link to the online auction.

The logo is being sold as an NFT — short for "nonfungible token," unique data stored in a digital ledger known as a blockchain — with bidding open until noon May 14. The trademarked image is currently owned by an individual who has pledged to donate the proceeds to Rural Colorado United, Bri Buentello, a former Democratic state lawmaker and spokeswoman for the group, told Colorado Politics.

"It’s pretty hilarious when the consequences of your own actions show up — and it’s pretty on-brand for Boebert that she can’t even be responsible enough to keep up with her restaurant paperwork," Buentello said in a text message.

"How can we possibly expect her to do the basic functions of her job, like read a bill, hold a town hall, or fight for our fair share in DC gridlock?"

Spoiler

The group tweeted Tuesday that it had also picked up rights to the trademarked logo for Shooters Gear, used by the restaurant to advertise T-shirts and other merchandise, and plans to throw that in with the Shooters Grill logo.

Buentello wouldn't speculate how much the logo might go for. Some NFT sales — conducted in cryptocurrency — have made headlines in recent months with eye-popping sums, including $2.9 million for the first tweet sent by Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and $500,000 for the photo behind the "Disaster Girl" meme, though the average price appears to have fallen sharply in the last month.

Shooters Grill didn't respond to a request for comment submitted through its website.

After securing the trademark in February, the group tweeted, its organizers had "mostly forgotten about it" until Toby Morton, a Colorado native and onetime contributor to the "South Park" TV show, posted an image of an email online Tuesday and asked legal experts to weigh in.

The email, which said it was from Boebert's press secretary, Jake Settle, claimed a parody website launched by Morton in January "needs to be taken down" because it used photos that "are copyrighted property of the U.S. Federal Government" and Boebert's congressional office.

"Additionally," the email read, "the entire website is a defamatory impersonation, and it goes against relevant terms of service and U.S. law. Please remove immediately or face further action."

The site Morton created — TheLaurenBoebert.com — features a photo included in Boebert's  online press kit, the same photo that dominates her congressional page. It also labels her a "QAnon sympathizer" and reproduces tweets sent by Boebert, including one from last summer declaring, "I am the militia."

"This Website is a Parody," Morton's site says, next to links to other, similar sites created by Morton critical of Republicans Matt Gaetz, Ted Cruz and Devin Nunes, the  California congressman who lost a court battle last year against Twitter over his complaints about an account that claimed it was operated by Nunes' cow.

Denver-based First Amendment attorney Steve Zansberg, who represents Colorado Politics and other media outlets in the state, said the email calling on Morton to pull down the site doesn't hold up to legal scrutiny.

"[T]he federal government cannot own copyright in any works created by any federal agency or congressional office (such as the official photographs taken for members of Congress)," Zansberg said in an email that included a reference to federal statute.

"Second," he continued, "no human could reasonably mistake the parody website as an actual communication originating from Rep. Boebert’s office or from her personally. Such parody sites are fully protected speech.

"In short, no, she does not have a legal leg upon which her threatened claims can stand."

Boebert's congressional office didn't respond to multiple emails requesting comment.

Mike Masnick, editor of the Techdirt blog, posted a lengthy analysisMonday night after reviewing the original email and concluding it appeared to have come from Settle.

While the email was a "mess of confusing concepts" that might have a legal claim "buried in here" about some of the material on Morton's site, Masnick wrote, the "threat is stupid."

"All this has served to do is to Streisand a parody site that likely wasn't receiving much if any traffic prior to this," Masnick wrote, referring to the "Streisand effect," which happens when attempts to suppress information winds up drawing far more attention to it.

Masnick added that Morton told him his Boebert site hadn't gotten much traffic before Monday's controversy "but now tons of people are looking at it."

"At best," Masnick wrote, "Boebert comes off looking like a thin-skinned insecure whiner who can't take a mild parody. At worst, she comes off as a censorial bully who has no respect for 'freedom' if it's associated with the 1st Amendment."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

"At best," Masnick wrote, "Boebert comes off looking like a thin-skinned insecure whiner who can't take a mild parody. At worst, she comes off as a censorial bully who has no respect for 'freedom' if it's associated with the 1st Amendment."

This is actually a key point for all of these GQP chucklefucks....they claim that they are SAVIORS OF THE CONSTITUTION....but  to them, "the Constitution" consists of 1) the Second Amendment, and 2) some vague notion of supporting whatever blather Trump has spewed.  First Amendment?  Not a thing.  Fourth Amendment? Definitely not a thing.  Article III courts and an independent judiciary?  Most certainly not a thing.

These are the dumbest fucking twits in American history, and they are racing to the bottom of being even dumber.

• Like 2

This seems like a rather bold and reckless claim. I'm not sure he is familiar with the type of people we are dealing with here.

"Second," he continued, "no human could reasonably mistake the parody website as an actual communication originating from Rep. Boebert’s office or from her personally

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Fuck it, MIA for guv!

"Give an aborted fetus an assault rifle"

Will be my slogan, and ill hand out free bullets and Chick-filla at my rallies.

You just lost my vote.  Now had you said Popeye's... 

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is actually a key point for all of these GQP chucklefucks....they claim that they are SAVIORS OF THE CONSTITUTION....but  to them, "the Constitution" consists of 1) the Second Amendment, and 2) some vague notion of supporting whatever blather Trump has spewed.  First Amendment?  Not a thing.  Fourth Amendment? Definitely not a thing.  Article III courts and an independent judiciary?  Most certainly not a thing.

These are the dumbest fucking twits in American history, and they are racing to the bottom of being even dumber.

One small correction:

They do believe in the first amendment regarding the religious provision...

Then again, their conception of "freedom of religion" is "the unobstructed ability to impose religion on others with total impunity."

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, hpslugga said:

One small correction:

They do believe in the first amendment regarding the religious provision...

Then again, their conception of "freedom of religion" is "the unobstructed ability to impose religion on others with total impunity."

Yep.  Every time a family member or friend pushes "THERE SHOULD BE MORE GOD IN SCHOOL",  I respond with something alone the lines of "yep, Catholics are the largest religious group in Texas, so we can finally have the Vatican have a say in getting God in the classroom" and all of the sudden those same folks stop talking about it, or start explaining that it wasn't what they meant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

Only two ways to get a Texas Baptist to shut the fuck up about prayer in school is to either offer him whiskey, or tell him the Catholics will end up running the schools if that happens.  At least the Catholics have the Jesuit Order which has produced thousands of top-tier high schools and a dozen superlative colleges (plus Holy Cross Order's Notre Dame). 

What do the baptists have?  Some functionally literate primary schools and Baylor University---which is basically what happens when felonies become a college.  Maybe their second best school was Stetson University (full disclosure, I attended college there) but Stetson broke ties with the backwards fucks while I was there in 1994. 

Edited by Lobo

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  Every time a family member or friend pushes "THERE SHOULD BE MORE GOD IN SCHOOL",  I respond with something alone the lines of "yep, Catholics are the largest religious group in Texas, so we can finally have the Vatican have a say in getting God in the classroom" and all of the sudden those same folks stop talking about it, or start explaining that it wasn't what they meant.

I get in similar conversations when they prattle on about "they [whoever "they" are] outlawed prayer in school!" Who did? And what outlawing? The only prayer that's been outlawed is compulsory prayer, and that absolutely should be outlawed..and it also proves my point. 

1 minute ago, hpslugga said:

I get in similar conversations when they prattle on about "they [whoever "they" are] outlawed prayer in school!" Who did? And what outlawing? The only prayer that's been outlawed is compulsory prayer, and that absolutely should be outlawed..and it also proves my point. 

Yeah, a lot of them have no clue that kids in schools have a moment of silence for them to pray or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would be cool with prayer in school but you have to do ALL the prayers.  Pray to Mecca, Pray to Jeebus, Pray to ALL the Hindu gods, Pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Pray to the Lord They God Vince Young 2005.  By the time they are done, school is over for the day.  The Aristocrats!

Edited by hookemATL
Also Boobert is a sniveling, unamerican cunt. If she didnt look the way she does she'd be a cashier at Ross.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Maybe their second best school was Stetson University (full disclosure, I attended college there) but Stetson broke ties with the backwards fucks while I was there in 1994. 

Didn't Wake Forest, which was probably their best school, also break ties?

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, a lot of them have no clue that kids in schools have a moment of silence for them to pray or whatever.

Exactly. The right to pray has never been fucked with in virtually any context. The obligation to pray has been, it should have been, and the fact that hardly any religitards can appreciate the difference speaks either to their ignorance (i.e. they can't see the difference) or their immorality (they see the difference but think they nonetheless should have that right to impose). 

Guest Lobo

Yeah, about 40 years ago...they broke off.  Not really familiar with the story why, but yeah---that had to be their flagship school.  So again...that leaves Baylor as their ostensible flagship.  Sadly because it's a corrupt shitheap of a school in a godforsaken corner of Texas  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, about 40 years ago...they broke off.  Not really familiar with the story why, but yeah---that had to be their flagship school.  So again...that leaves Baylor as their ostensible flagship.  Sadly because it's a corrupt shitheap of a school in a godforsaken corner of Texas  

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/12/us/north-carolina-baptists-sever-ties-to-wake-forest.html

"North Carolina Baptists voted to sever formal ties to Wake Forest University today, ending decades of dispute over academic freedom and moral constraints at the church-related school.

''Why spend our resources to hold onto this empty shell?'' asked the Rev. M. O. Owens of Gastonia, N.C. ''Wake Forest long ago left the fold.''"

Edited by hpslugga

Guest Lobo

"Left the fold"  

You mean that goofy thing where a celebrated place of higher learning and research turned its back on ignorance and repression in order to embrace the light?  

I've just come to terms with the Catholic Church.  My wife is a member, as will my two daugthers one day.  That corrupt, misdirected protector of pedophiles is just always going to be part of my life.  No matter how much I wish it away.  People just can't see for what it is, and I'll never change a single mind about that.  

But I'm really starting to see, after 25 years in Texas, how much of what is keeping our state from reaching its potential...are Baptists.  At least the Catholic Church embraces (to varying extents) education, health care, capitalism, entrepreneurship, mobility, diversity, and spirituality.  The Baptist Church seems to embrace itself and hating women, gays, and blacks.  If anybody can tell me anything good going on over there, happy to listen.  

Also, Lauren Boebert is not as smart as she thinks she is. 

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"Left the fold"  

You mean that goofy thing where a celebrated place of higher learning and research turned its back on ignorance and repression in order to embrace the light?  

I've just come to terms with the Catholic Church.  My wife is a member, as will my two daugthers one day.  That corrupt, misdirected protector of pedophiles is just always going to be part of my life.  No matter how much I wish it away.  People just can't see for what it is, and I'll never change a single mind about that.  

But I'm really starting to see, after 25 years in Texas, how much of what is keeping our state from reaching its potential...are Baptists.  At least the Catholic Church embraces (to varying extents) education, health care, capitalism, entrepreneurship, mobility, diversity, and spirituality.  The Baptist Church seems to embrace itself and hating women, gays, and blacks.  If anybody can tell me anything good going on over there, happy to listen.  

Also, Lauren Boebert is not as smart as she thinks she is. 

I've known this ever since I went to Hyde Park Baptist Church with a friend in high school.  They are awful.

Edited by Biff Tannen

On 5/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Letting your trademarks lapse to own the libs.  Or something like that.

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/news/boebert-opponents-auctioning-off-shooters-grill-logo-in-response-to-demand-to-shut-down-parody/article_a5a63e94-acf6-11eb-b59b-1baa7a03298b.html

Hide contents

The group tweeted Tuesday that it had also picked up rights to the trademarked logo for Shooters Gear, used by the restaurant to advertise T-shirts and other merchandise, and plans to throw that in with the Shooters Grill logo.

Buentello wouldn't speculate how much the logo might go for. Some NFT sales — conducted in cryptocurrency — have made headlines in recent months with eye-popping sums, including $2.9 million for the first tweet sent by Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and $500,000 for the photo behind the "Disaster Girl" meme, though the average price appears to have fallen sharply in the last month.

Shooters Grill didn't respond to a request for comment submitted through its website.

After securing the trademark in February, the group tweeted, its organizers had "mostly forgotten about it" until Toby Morton, a Colorado native and onetime contributor to the "South Park" TV show, posted an image of an email online Tuesday and asked legal experts to weigh in.

The email, which said it was from Boebert's press secretary, Jake Settle, claimed a parody website launched by Morton in January "needs to be taken down" because it used photos that "are copyrighted property of the U.S. Federal Government" and Boebert's congressional office.

"Additionally," the email read, "the entire website is a defamatory impersonation, and it goes against relevant terms of service and U.S. law. Please remove immediately or face further action."

The site Morton created — TheLaurenBoebert.com — features a photo included in Boebert's  online press kit, the same photo that dominates her congressional page. It also labels her a "QAnon sympathizer" and reproduces tweets sent by Boebert, including one from last summer declaring, "I am the militia."

"This Website is a Parody," Morton's site says, next to links to other, similar sites created by Morton critical of Republicans Matt Gaetz, Ted Cruz and Devin Nunes, the  California congressman who lost a court battle last year against Twitter over his complaints about an account that claimed it was operated by Nunes' cow.

Denver-based First Amendment attorney Steve Zansberg, who represents Colorado Politics and other media outlets in the state, said the email calling on Morton to pull down the site doesn't hold up to legal scrutiny.

"[T]he federal government cannot own copyright in any works created by any federal agency or congressional office (such as the official photographs taken for members of Congress)," Zansberg said in an email that included a reference to federal statute.

"Second," he continued, "no human could reasonably mistake the parody website as an actual communication originating from Rep. Boebert’s office or from her personally. Such parody sites are fully protected speech.

"In short, no, she does not have a legal leg upon which her threatened claims can stand."

Boebert's congressional office didn't respond to multiple emails requesting comment.

Mike Masnick, editor of the Techdirt blog, posted a lengthy analysisMonday night after reviewing the original email and concluding it appeared to have come from Settle.

While the email was a "mess of confusing concepts" that might have a legal claim "buried in here" about some of the material on Morton's site, Masnick wrote, the "threat is stupid."

"All this has served to do is to Streisand a parody site that likely wasn't receiving much if any traffic prior to this," Masnick wrote, referring to the "Streisand effect," which happens when attempts to suppress information winds up drawing far more attention to it.

Masnick added that Morton told him his Boebert site hadn't gotten much traffic before Monday's controversy "but now tons of people are looking at it."

That's funny.

I am very surprised that Boobco was astute enough or had the money to register any trademarks.

However, it also appears to be false, to the extent it refers to federal trademarks, as the registration application was abandoned in 2015 because it was confusing with other registered marks. https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86342016&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

It also appears to be false as to the state registration, which expired in 2020 and no one else appears to have registered Shooter's anything.  https://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityHistory.do?quitButtonDestination=TradeMarkDetail&nameTyp=TMSM&masterFileId=20151288617&entityId2=&srchTyp=

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

I would be cool with prayer in school but you have to do ALL the prayers.  Pray to Mecca, Pray to Jeebus, Pray to ALL the Hindu gods, Pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Pray to the Lord They God Vince Young 2005.  By the time they are done, school is over for the day.  The Aristocrats!

Lol. 

I consider myself a god. Not THE god, just A god. Kinda like Phil Connors, but of a lesser sort. I wouldn't presume to be on the level of Phil Connors. 

So, what I'm saying, is that all the prayers would include me.  And of course, Phil Connors. 

Edited by Asithappens
  • Haha 1

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd deploy the "your husband took his dick out" defense to her copyright claims. Boom! Right in the boebert. Then I sit back and watch all the lucrative contract offers to be Marjorie taylor Greene's legal representation come rolling at me. Then I sue Marjorie and Lauren. Dolla dolla bills, ya'll! 

14 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Lol. 

I consider myself a god. Not THE god, just A god. Kinda like Phil Connors, but of a lesser sort. I wouldn't presume to be on the level of Phil Connors. 

So, what I'm saying, is that all the prayers would include me.  And of course, Phil Connors. 

I quoted this the other day to my gf, so this hits close to home

• Hook 'Em 2