Butter is better [Seed oil bad]

CenTex Hill Billy

MD friend told me she would only eat fast food if it was made with butter and not the usual veggie, canola, or other seed oils. We're talking about real butter from the utter. Not the fake stuff. She claims these other oils are highly processed, provide little nutritional value, and are incredibly bad for you. 

betty white drinking GIF by TV Land Classic

She had me stunned. So I put down my banjo and I asked well what's wrong with my regular cooking oils and my tub of I Cannot Believe It's Not Butter? 

Well it's simple really. Cooking oils and butter contain saturated fats, Omega 6 Linoleic, Omega 3 Alpha Linolenic Acid, and Omega 9 Oleic Acid. All these are burned for calories by our body or are stored as body fat but we want to focus on the one that is found in so many foods we eat today. Optimally we want to have a balance of Omega 6 and Omega 3 FAs but over the last 150 the Western diet has morphed into one where Omega 6s account for over 20% of the average American's caloric intake. 

Omega 6 Linoleic Acids.

Seed oils are highly rich in Omega 6 Linoleic Acid - not to be confused with omega 3 fatty acids found in your fish oil supplements. 

Screen-Shot-2020-05-19-at-9.44.26-AM-e15

Scientists have found consuming excess of amounts of Omega 6 (<10% of daily calories), like eating P Terry's french fries fried with canola oil, leads to a cycle within our cells called Catastrophic Lipid Peroxidation Cascades. Most importantly, this cycle involves mitochondrial dysfunction (Energy Dysregulation & failure) and the creation of Lipid Hydroperoxides

If you remember the color of your HS biology teacher's underwear (baby blue), you'll know that Mitochondria are the power house of the cell.  Under normal function your mitochondria will 'burn' fats through a process called FA Beta-Oxidation or carbohydrates through Glycolysis to produce energy.

oxygen GIF

HOWEVER, when your cells experience Catastrophic Lipid Peroxidation Cascades from excess Omega 6 your body is no longer able to 'burn' fats.  

And there's only one place for these fats to go...

work out cats GIF

Pretty obvious right? You eat fast food and you get fat. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. 

Full House Reaction GIF

Curling 40 lbs of fat just to pull out your dick is pretty terrible but it can get much worse than that.

Remember Lipid Hydroperoxide (LOOH)? Well this breaks down into some highly toxic aldehydes... 4-HNE, MDA, OxLams, Acrolein, and Carboxyethyl pyrrole.

Collectively here's what these do:

• Cytotoxic - kills cells (like chemo, snake venom)
  • Mutagenic - Alters DNA (leads to degenerative diseases; Alzheimers, Macular Degeneration, Parkinson's, etc)
  • Genotoxic - DNA destruction (cancer)
  • Carcinogenic - Causes cancer
  • Atherogenic - plaque build up in arteries (atherosclerosis, heart disease, heart attacks)
  • Thrombogenic - inducing clots (Strokes, heart attacks)
  • Obesogenic - immense weight gain

Sounds a lot like all the high risk conditions for high covid mortality.

death GIF

You should have stuck with butter. 

butter satisfying GIF

If you're curious about the history of Omega 6 FAs in western diets over the last 150 years and how this correlates with Diseases of Civilization, or if you want to a run down of the science behind this, I can recommend no one other than Dr. Chris Knobbe

Here's a recent presentation loaded with everything you need to know.

Good, bad, ugly of oils (in no particular order)

God tier:

1. BUTTER

Good Oils(>3% Omega 6):

1. Coconut oil
  2. MCTs

Other Oils(~10% Omega 6):

1. Avocado oil (great for high temp cooking)
  2. Lard (classic)
  3. Olive Oil (Mussolini special)
  4. Flaxseed oil (high in Omega 3s but still contains a shit ton of Omega 6s)

Death oils(<10% Omega 6) THROW THESE AWAY:

1. Cottonseed oil [death]
  2. Peanut Oil
  3. Palm Oil
  4. Sunflower Oil [death]
  5. Safflower Oil 
  6. Rapeseed Oil (a Waco, Tx favorite)
  7. Corn Oil [death brought to you by Nebraska]
  8. Soy Oil [death and pussification]
  9. Canola Oil [death]
  10. Vegetable Oil [death]
  11. FAKE BUTTER [death]
  12. Margarine [death]
  13. Shortening [death]

There's also a lot of research behind Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratios. Studies suggest a 1:1 ratio is ideal for health and longevity. However, Omega 6 is consumed in excess by 2-5x of Omega 3s in the US. 

So stop eating fast food. Avoid salad dressing. Watch your sauces. Read the ingredients label. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

<> how does it work????

Overall I get it though.  The anti-butter movement started several decades ago and was largely related to the idea that all fats are inherently bad.  A lot of "OMG THE SCIENCE" studies have overturned that simplistic view in the intervening years.

Yeah. Vegetable oils are really bad for you. The problem is that they are in literally everything that is delicious (not everything but once you start checking ingredients labels it cuts down your snacking options). If you want to cut out oils, cut out carbs and sugars and you're basically there.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

<> how does it work????

Overall I get it though.  The anti-butter movement started several decades ago and was largely related to the idea that all fats are inherently bad.  A lot of "OMG THE SCIENCE" studies have overturned that simplistic view in the intervening years.

The facile notion that eating foods high in fat and cholesterol would increase serum cholesterol.  That's some sixth grade science right there. 

It's kind of infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We cook pretty much exclusively with butter, coconut oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Good to know I'm doing it right!

We've avoided processed foods for a long time.  Try and stick with natural foods that we cook ourselves.  I'm still fat, but that's because I drink too much and I eat too much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

We cook pretty much exclusively with butter, coconut oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Good to know I'm doing it right!

We've avoided processed foods for a long time.  Try and stick with natural foods that we cook ourselves.  I'm still fat, but that's because I drink too much and I eat too much.

Coconut oil is one of the worst oils for heart health. It actually raises both good and bad cholesterol, more so than any other oil.

Stick with avocado and olive oil if you have to use oil.

• Like 1

that’s not true. it’s debatable whether or not it’s good for you. but one of the worst? no. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/dont-get-tricked-by-these-3-heart-health-myths/art-20390070

Myth: Coconut oil is a heart-healthy cooking alternative.

The argument: Coconut oil is extremely high in saturated fat — about 50 percent more than butter, even.

But despite that saturated fat is known to raise cholesterol levels, linked with heart disease risk, proponents believe that some saturated fats in coconut oil (called medium-chain triglycerides) are less harmful and may actually raise levels of beneficial HDL cholesterol.

The reality: Coconut oil has been shown to raise cholesterol levels — the good and the bad kinds — more than other plant-based oils like olive or canola. And in truth, medium-chain triglycerides make up only a small amount of the fatty acids in coconut oil.

Plus, while other heart-healthy fats like olive oil, canola oil, or omega-3 fatty acids in nuts and seafood have been supported by a large body of evidence, coconut oil's supposed benefits still haven't been proved in large-scale human research.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/dont-get-tricked-by-these-3-heart-health-myths/art-20390070

Myth: Coconut oil is a heart-healthy cooking alternative.

The argument: Coconut oil is extremely high in saturated fat — about 50 percent more than butter, even.

But despite that saturated fat is known to raise cholesterol levels, linked with heart disease risk, proponents believe that some saturated fats in coconut oil (called medium-chain triglycerides) are less harmful and may actually raise levels of beneficial HDL cholesterol.

The reality: Coconut oil has been shown to raise cholesterol levels — the good and the bad kinds — more than other plant-based oils like olive or canola. And in truth, medium-chain triglycerides make up only a small amount of the fatty acids in coconut oil.

Plus, while other heart-healthy fats like olive oil, canola oil, or omega-3 fatty acids in nuts and seafood have been supported by a large body of evidence, coconut oil's supposed benefits still haven't been proved in large-scale human research.

exactly.  thank you. 

All of my oil knowledge comes from my uncle.  Well, the edible kind.  South Austin's mom and I share an intimate knowledge of myriad massage oils.  

He served for many years on Naval Submarines and then in Naval Intelligence.  He tells me his two lessons in life when it comes to the kitchen...

Remember that Peanut Oil won't smoke...it will eventually..but not any temperature you'll be using it at.  And we use Canola to make Mustard Gas to kill Koreans.  

Something else about poker with a guy named Cincinnati and cream cheese.  But he was sure as shit right about the first two.  

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Coconut oil is one of the worst oils for heart health. It actually raises both good and bad cholesterol, more so than any other oil.

Stick with avocado and olive oil if you have to use oil.

I only use it for lube in a pinch. Acceptable?

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

good to know. I drink butter and mct oil almost everyday and always use butter when I'm making eggs or most anything else on the pan.

Same here.  Been doing that for the past few years when ostensibly reliable people on the internet starting saying that butter and MCT oil are good for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, Lobo said:

All of my oil knowledge comes from my uncle.  Well, the edible kind.  South Austin's mom and I share an intimate knowledge of myriad massage oils.  

He served for many years on Naval Submarines and then in Naval Intelligence.  He tells me his two lessons in life when it comes to the kitchen...

Remember that Peanut Oil won't smoke...it will eventually..but not any temperature you'll be using it at.  And we use Canola to make Mustard Gas to kill Koreans.  

Something else about poker with a guy named Cincinnati and cream cheese.  But he was sure as shit right about the first two.  

image.png.c9caffbb8361935db82e430c8990a34e.png

On 1/5/2021 at 2:39 PM, Chewbacca said:

same here, but honestly, to me it just freaking tastes better.   Have felt for a long time that eating the bowl is better for you than eating margarine...

Wife started using coconut oil about 10 years ago as part of a diet, and the other 2 were already mainstays.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

same here, but honestly, to me it just freaking tastes better.   Have felt for a long time that eating the bowl is better for you than eating margarine...

Wife started using coconut oil about 10 years ago as part of a diet, and the other 2 were already mainstays.

That's the main reason we do it - taste.  But staying away from processed foods is another.

Haven't used margarine in 25 years, only butter. Olive oil for medium heat, recently started using avocado oil for high heat. Working from home, the wife and I eat fast food probably once every other month, it's 20 minutes into town. 

Now, the question I have, is what do you use for your home deep fryer? Always used peanut oil for frying fish, but usually vegetable oil for other things. We only fry once, sometimes twice per week. Is bulk avocado oil available at a price that won't break the bank?

CHIEF 

Posted this in another thread, but considering this is the thread about butter, it must be guided to a proper repository.   

don’t know if any of y’all drove by this place outside of Cincy back in the day, but I damn sure remember it fondly.  

18 hours ago, HouTex said:

So no more fried turkey in peanut oil? I say just eat fried foods in moderation. My downfall is fries. I try to limit them to a couple of times a month.

Turkey fried in peanut oil is delicious.

Everything in moderation, of course.