Texas car title transfer

For the first time in my 59 years of life, I'm selling a vehicle privately instead of trading it in. Car was a lease and I decided to buy it from the leasing company, figured that instead of giving it back and paying a disposition fee I'd try to sell it at a profit (even after paying tax a second time).  

Advertised the car in a few places and I immediately had a buyer.  

Got the signed title from the leasing company and went down to the tax assessor office to reregister the car in my name so I could sell to the buyer. I was told it could take up to 20 business days to get the new title? Why would it take that long? All they are doing is verifying information on a screen and putting a blue piece of paper into a laser printer. Does it actually take 20 business days or is that just a worst case scenario? I'd like to get this sold as quickly as possible since I'm paying insurance and the note on the balloon payment and every extra day eats into how much I'll clear. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

For the first time in my 59 years of life, I'm selling a vehicle privately instead of trading it in. Car was a lease and I decided to buy it from the leasing company, figured that instead of giving it back and paying a disposition fee I'd try to sell it at a profit (even after paying tax a second time).  

Advertised the car in a few places and I immediately had a buyer.  

Got the signed title from the leasing company and went down to the tax assessor office to reregister the car in my name so I could sell to the buyer. I was told it could take up to 20 business days to get the new title? Why would it take that long? All they are doing is verifying information on a screen and putting a blue piece of paper into a laser printer. Does it actually take 20 business days or is that just a worst case scenario? I'd like to get this sold as quickly as possible since I'm paying insurance and the note on the balloon payment and every extra day eats into how much I'll clear. Thanks.

Seems odd.  I recall in the past doing a title transfer and, as you describe, they printed the new title on the spot.