The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

12 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Fuck that. The crazy lawlessness of the Bush administration and grotesque faux patriotism they ginned up in the wake of 9/11 lead to the GOP of today. Fuck anyone who enabled Donald J. Trump. Dubya could have said something before and he stayed quiet so fuck him too.

i want to repeat that 43 is beyond a day late and dollar short despite his supposed hate for dotard, he stayed silent in the hopes he would never have to call him out in order to preserve the political "neutrality" of his family (jeb, the girls), and in the end still put out an impotent, useless condemnation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I'm as anti-police as they come, but those rioters could easily be charged and convicted of attempted murder. I guarantee you some of those people have publicly stated their sincere desire to kill specific individuals in that building. They then traveled to the city where those individuals work and live. They gathered as a group and stated their intention to stop those individuals. They broke through a police barricade, committed a burglary while armed with firearms. They then assaulted police, injuring several. They then roamed the building, sometimes asking for specific individuals by name. They were carrying zip ties and firearms and dressed in paramilitary outfits. 

Deadly force was warranted and legal. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m not a neurologist, bro.  But I think in this case zero brain activity is less stupid.  

But could one have zero brain activity and be practicing law with hair dye running down one's face?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

I'm as anti-police as they come, but those rioters could easily be charged and convicted of attempted murder. I guarantee you some of those people have publicly stated their sincere desire to kill specific individuals in that building. They then traveled to the city where those individuals work and live. They gathered as a group and stated their intention to stop those individuals. They broke through a police barricade, committed a burglary while armed with firearms. They then assaulted police, injuring several. They then roamed the building, sometimes asking for specific individuals by name. They were carrying zip ties and firearms and dressed in paramilitary outfits. 

Deadly force was warranted and legal. 

I'm convinced based on video and pictures that many, possibly most, of the Capitol police were sympathetic to the rioters. I haven't researched the context of those images, so I'm open to having my mind changed, but it would be consistent with what we have seen recently from police. Put down Black protesters and their allies with extreme prejudice, but exercise caution when they are "patriots" waving confederate and trumper flags. I guess one was actually spooked and shot a lady, but the rest of them seem to have been treated like rowdy teenagers smoking on school grounds. "Move along you knuckleheads and I won't tell your parents."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This effort to prosecute the insurrectionists is great but their defense is kinda simple when the President of the United States very publicly told them to storm the Capitol just minutes prior.  Good luck convincing a jury of putting these guys away for any considerable time when they were given explicit permission by the head of government.

Yeah, I don't think that's how it works.  

That said, I didn't watch Trump's whole spiel.  Did he really tell them to "storm the Capitol"?  All I heard was his lies about how he was going to march down there with them.  Of course, being the giant lying pussy that he is, he just retreated to the West Wing.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

But could one have zero brain activity and be practicing law with hair dye running down one's face?

Yes, but that brown trail was brain diarrhea.(AKA shifferbrania syndrome)

Edited by AnTiM
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

I give her slightly less sympathy than I do for an ISIS terrorist who gets killed. On a fundamental level, a someone's child was radicalized, became a terrorist, and ultimately died because of it. That's a sad story, but the death itself was necessary. The difference between her and the ISIS terrorist is that she was radicalized while resting in the relative ease and wealth of a formerly first world country.

This. People need to stop tippy toeing. These were domestic terrorists who were radicalized by QAnon. Swap out the MAGA terrorists yesterday with muslims who were radicalized by something on social media called Al-Qanon-eda and think about how different the reactions would have been. The reaction of the latter hypothetical should be our reaction to this. These are fucking terrorists and should be treated as such. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

This guy was there yesterday.  He and his wife own Kissing Tree Vineyards off of 35.  I'm sure you've seen the sign.  Utterly unremarkable wine.  

Don't confuse them with Wedding Oak in San Saba. We went there a few years ago and the people were great. I'd hate to see them caught up in the backlash.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm convinced based on video and pictures that many, possibly most, of the Capitol police were sympathetic to the rioters. I haven't researched the context of those images, so I'm open to having my mind changed, but it would be consistent with what we have seen recently from police. Put down Black protesters and their allies with extreme prejudice, but exercise caution when they are "patriots" waving confederate and trumper flags. I guess one was actually spooked and shot a lady, but the rest of them seem to have been treated like rowdy teenagers smoking on school grounds. "Move along you knuckleheads and I won't tell your parents."

Yes. Police forces have always been sympathetic to white nationalism, primarily because police ranks are composed of white nationalists and facists. 

The bullet came from a man in a suit. It was not a police officer. 

Despite my disdain for police in general, gotta give props to the cop at 1:13 below who comes flying down the steps and just starts throwing haymakers into a crowd that outnumbers him like 50-1. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Just in case it hasn't been posted. How wasted is Don Jr.?

fucking mark meadows makes an appearance grinning ear to ear as he watches the mob form...then resigns the next day saying 'he can't be a part of this'

it's exactly what you wanted you piece of shit.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Some certainly were.

There's also video of them "going cop" on the crowd.  Still a group severely outnumbered, but with better gear and numbers than the ones that "let them through."

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm actually questioning this notion, in large part because of who our elected officials are.  Do they deserve deadly force protection any more than you or I?

In some symbolic sense, I guess so.  As human beings, I find that notion hard to reconcile.

I've been cutting you slack b/c you're a, normally, great poster.  But, JFC, it wasn't just our "officials"; our Capitol building was swarmed by a mob that was incited by the sitting POTUS while our motherfucking democracy was in the process of voting him out of office.  Why are you being so frustratingly obtuse about this?

Fuck it, let's tell Joe we're disarming the secret service; I mean does protecting POTUS really require deadly force?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I don't think that's how it works.  

That said, I didn't watch Trump's whole spiel.  Did he really tell them to "storm the Capitol"?  All I heard was his lies about how he was going to march down there with them.  Of course, being the giant lying pussy that he is, he just retreated to the West Wing.

The event was literally called “Stop the steal.” Trump invited these people on a foundation of lies to the Capitol to do precisely that.  He whipped them up and directed them to the halls of Congress.  

I don’t see much room for ambiguity here. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When Merrick Garland takes over the DOJ, among his first order of business has to be subpoenaing all communications regarding security preparations.  Including all personal cell phones and devices of every capitol PD officer.

I'm not going to go over the conspiracy cliff just yet....but the video and photos showing the cops going along with the mob are too much not to investigate.

Add every device of every member of Trump's administration as well. Jim Acosta was reporting that someone in the White House was in communication with the mob. That person needs to be strung up.

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Chao resigning in response to yesterday's events.

Floodgates open?  Who will stay on the sinking ship?

She’s resigning because Mitch lost control of the Senate and so the gravy train has been derailed. She was fine with Charlottesville. She doesn’t give a fuck about right-wing terrorists invading the Capitol in an attempted coup. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, and while JFKFC is an asshat he wasn't wrong with his initial post because Twice is being extremely stupid about this. 

WTF has happened today?

Black is white, up is down, Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Should the Secret Service be unarmed?  Guess not, haven't really thought that through.

This is your biggest issue. Believe it or not, some stuff doesn't need to be contemplated for lengthy periods of time. The Secret Service protects the most important people (in terms of government function) in the country from potentially deadly threats. 

Not instinctively knowing the answer to the question of whether or not they should be unarmed without needing to ponder it for a while doesn't make you a principled thinker. It just makes you silly. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I've been cutting you slack b/c you're a, normally, great poster.  But, JFC, it wasn't just our "officials"; our Capitol building was swarmed by a mob that was incited by the sitting POTUS while our motherfucking democracy was in the process of voting him out of office.  Why are you being so frustratingly obtuse about this?

Fuck it, let's tell Joe we're disarming the secret service; I mean does protecting POTUS really require deadly force?  

I'm not concluding either way.  And I'm not really considering it in the context of this particular thing.

After seeing Romney in the airport with no protection at all from randos, I'm just considering the level of protection extended to our elected officials as a general matter.

I've always been kind of skeptical of lifetime secret service protection for ex-presidents, and for their families, for example.

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The event was literally called “Stop the steal.” Trump invited these people on a foundation of lies to the Capitol to do precisely that.  He whipped them up and directed them to the halls of Congress.  

I don’t see much room for ambiguity here. 

He apparently stopped short of inciting a riot or insurrection or violence flat out.

But as often as he says the quiet part out loud, he's very adept at the dog whistle.  And we know damn well what the dog whistle was saying.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When Merrick Garland takes over the DOJ, among his first order of business has to be subpoenaing all communications regarding security preparations.  Including all personal cell phones and devices of every capitol PD officer.

I'm not going to go over the conspiracy cliff just yet....but the video and photos showing the cops going along with the mob are too much not to investigate.

This x 1,000. I'm all in on this conspiracy theory, it is not happenstance that the BLM rally drew Seal Team 6 to the capitol steps and the well in advanced plan to take over the capital by the MAGA people elicited a couple Paul Blart mall cops and they didn't even give them segways. 

This was by design. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not concluding either way.  And I'm not really considering it in the context of this particular thing.

After seeing Romney in the airport with no protection at all from randos, I'm just considering the level of protection extended to our elected officials as a general matter.

I've always been kind of skeptical of lifetime secret service protection for ex-presidents, and for their families, for example.

Why? They are targets. Just ask the Kennedys.

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She’s resigning because Mitch lost control of the Senate and so the gravy train has been derailed. She was fine with Charlottesville. She doesn’t give a fuck about right-wing terrorists invading the Capitol in an attempted coup. 

Suggests that the 25th is not seriously in play.  Mrs. Turtle is one of the cabinet members I would expect to be in camp of removing Trump to erode his influence in the GOP.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I doubt you'll find anything coordinating to "let them by y'all" from any political or police leaders. I bet you would find some requests about "Hey remember how we guarded the place during the George Floyd protests? Maybe we should do that again?" with either no response or some response that "these aren't the same people, it'll be fine, lol." Might not prove intentional collusion, but surely negligence, or even gross negligence, or perhaps criminal negligence? But remember, its cops we're talking about. If they decided that the white trash army was peaceful while them Blacks would surely be violent and its blatent racism and perhaps a case for civil rights violations could be established by the disparity in preparations and execution of security protocols between the two groups.