The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The third option for the gop is the best, and also the least likely. Move left enough to pull back the moderate, college educated whites. As long as they keep abortion and 2a as major platform planks, most of the poor white ls will stay in lockstep with them. 
Pull enough of them back that the Democrats become the Bernie Sanders party. They are already selling that, unsuccessfully.  Make it be true and become the moderate opposition instead of the radical crazy opposition. 

the math says that if you lose the vote of 5 million right wing crazies and gain the vote of 5 million moderates who have started voting democrat, then the net is you have the same votes and the democrats have 5 million fewer.  That’s the winning formula. And since most of the republicans have no real principled ideology, it shouldn’t even be difficult to shift left a notch or two just with say 2 major issues- health care for all and higher tax burden for truly high incomes and corporations. 

Not sure how easy that will be. I'm a 44-year old moderate who does not support the majority of the Democratic agenda. However, I'm so disgusted that I don't see myself voting Republican for the next 10-20 years.

There are reasons why Republicans have lost the suburbs.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This man deserves the highest possible honor that can be bestowed.

I agree, bolverk, he brings honor to the phrase "protect and serve" that many who wear a uniform don't.

Looking at him and knowing he is the one in danger: from terrorists, from supremacists, from perhaps some of his colleagues, and then  looking at him, mask askew doing his job and thinking to myself how the mask is supposed to protect others from him (were he to be sick) but in all likelihood he is in additional danger because of those aforementioned people and this insidious virus that attacks people of color disproportionately.

Were he to become ill with COVID after this, presuming he hasn't already had it and recovered, he deserves the very same top notch treatment that any single one of those congressional members would have received. Treating others as you wish to be treated is the Golden Rule. Congress should try that rule on for size.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Not sure how easy that will be. I'm a 44-year old moderate who does not support the majority of the Democratic agenda. However, I'm so disgusted that I don't see myself voting Republican for the next 10-20 years.

There are reasons why Republicans have lost the suburbs.

This is me

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  Is.  Fantastic.  Fuck around and find out you stupid cunts.  Also, wtf with the "accent" of the second one?  Almost sounds made up.

That video as was commented earlier is from November and was a group opposed to wearing masks that got too mouthy with a flight crew.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/09/huntington-beach-far-right-activist-contrite-after-fiery-video-about-capitol-attack-goes-viral/

Shortly after a mob of President Donald Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, Kristopher Dreww recorded a fiery video in his Washington, D.C., hotel room.

Full of bravado, the 32-year-old Huntington Beach hairdresser and well-known far-right activist praised the insurrectionists as patriots and dispelled the rumor that Antifa members had any involvement the siege that delayed Congress’ certification of electoral votes for President-elect Joe Biden.

“I just got back from storming the Capitol,” said Dreww, who appeared energized and jittery in the video. “It was successful. For all you bitches on Facebook going crazy talking about it was Antifa, and saying it wasn’t us, it was us. We proudly took back our Capitol. They brought the National Guard out for us. We had the (expletive) cops running from us. Not because they are bitches but because they are smart. We did it. God it’s so exhilarating!”

By Friday, Jan. 8, after the video made the rounds on social media, Dreww — who has his own podcast and is known nationally among the far-right, pro-Trump crowd — was contrite and fearful

In a phone interview as he made the nearly 2,700-mile drive from Washington to Huntington Beach, Dreww said he has received death threats from both Trump supporters and detractors. He worries about being arrested and believes his successful beauty salon business is doomed.

“I’m scared,” he said, choking back tears. “I fear for my life.”

Samantha Shero, a spokeswoman for the FBI’s Field Office in Washington, D.C., said Friday she couldn’t comment or confirm whether Dreww is under investigation.

Dreww claimed he was only speaking collectively in the video about participating in the siege and that he actually watched from afar. He also distanced himself from the destruction and now believes Antifa was indeed involved in the riot. .

“I do regret not doing my research and not knowing what people were in there,” said Dreww, whose social media handle is “Adorable Deplorable.” “I am proud we took back our house, but I thought we took it back peacefully.”

Spoiler

There is no evidence that Antifa, a left wing anti-fascist, anti-racist political movement, was involved in the Capitol building attack, the FBI said.

The subdued demeanor Dreww exhibited during the interview was in sharp contrast to the vitriol he spewed in Wednesday’s video.

“You think if we can get into this Capitol, imagine what we could do to our local capitol,” he said in the video.

Additionally, in a Thursday post on Parler, a social networking site popular with conservatives who have fled Twitter, Dreww challenged those who questioned his zeal. “I am a real patriot and have rallied from Florida and Texas to DC and Portland,” he said.

Dreww’s ordeal began Sunday, when he left Huntington Beach and drove to Illinois to pick up his aunt.

He said he arrived in Washington about 9 a.m. Wednesday, in time to catch some of Donald Trump Jr.’s remarks at a rally outside the White House. When the speech ended, he headed to the Embassy Suites on New York Avenue.

While waiting for his car to be parked by a valet, Dreww learned pro-Trump supporters had stormed the Capitol. He grabbed his camera and headed toward the building.

Drew said it took about an hour to wind his way through the thick crowd of protesters, adding he ended up sitting under a tree on the lawn outside the Capitol, where he ate sandwiches with a teacher and a nurse.

He returned to his room after learning 35-year-old Ashli Babbitt of San Diego had been shot and killed by police while climbing through an interior window at the Capitol.

Dreww said he’s afraid he could be arrested by the FBI, which is investigating the Capitol attack, but maintains he did nothing wrong.

“I never went inside the Capitol,” he said. “I am a waste of time (for authorities to investigate), but there are other people who did terrible things and should be arrested. I didn’t go to Washington for Donald Trump. I went there for everyone’s vote to count.”

OCR-L-DREWW-0109-16x9-1-1.jpg?w=1812

1 hour ago, Grandioso said:

^^^ That will also make sure they can't get pardoned. Slap on the fattest charges after Trump is long gone. 

Unfortunately, it probably doesn't work that way.  Pardons, particularly pre-conviction pardons, tend to be worded in terms of all offenses prior to X date.

You guys should check out Bull Moose Progressive Party platform. I have found a lot of "moderates" actually don't realize they are quite progressive (for the time being) because being a moderate over a period of 20 years when nothing has happened from a legislative perspective apparently turns you into a short term progressive.

Spoiler

Platform

The Progressive Bull Moose Party Platform

This is a draft of the Progressive Bull Moose Party Principles and Platform. If we can achieve even one third of these ideas it will go a long sea mile toward giving power back to the American people. If anything on here stands out to you as being particularly important or something you disagree with, please say so. This is a work in progress, please join the conversation and help us flesh this out.

Stage 1 Priorities: Fix the System. Save the Planet—

Election Reform

1. Abolish corporate personhood.
  2. End partisan gerrymandering.
    1. We support the Open Our Democracy Act which “requires that states establish independent commissions for congressional redistricting; makes Election Day a holiday; and institutes open top-two primaries for House and Senate elections, allowing all voters, including registered Independents and unaffiliated voters to participate in primaries.”
  3. Repeal Citizens United and the McCutcheon rulings.
  4. Kill super PACs and end big money in politics.
  5. Reform campaign finance laws.
  6. Allow open primaries (like in California).
  7. Create a “None of the Above” option in all federal elections.

Wall Street and Corporate Reform

1. End “Too Big to Fail”—bust ‘em apart. Resurrect Glass-Steagall.
  2. Eliminate corporate welfare—including tax breaks, subsidies & loopholes.
  3. Tame rampant income inequality—including establishing equal pay for women, a living wage & increased taxes on the billionaires & 0.01%.
  4. Strengthen Social Security (remove the ceiling).
  5. Cap the size of corporations. End hostile, unproductive takeovers & leveraged buyouts; stop mergers that undermine competition.
  6. Establish measures to bring much greater transparecy to the Federal Reserve, including annual or biennial independent audits (the Fed needs to remain independent of partisan politics, but the American people, ultimately, have a right to know everything that happens).
  7. Re-write the STOCK Act to strengthen the ban on Members of Congress from trading on insider information, eliminating their "abnormally higher returns," and the harm this causes the American people.
  8. Guiding Ideas:
    1. "The man of great wealth owes a peculiar obligation to the state because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government." —Theodore Roosevelt,
    2. "The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." —Franklin D. Roosevelt,
    3. "We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both." —Louis D. Brandeis, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (1916-1939)
    4. "An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics." —Plutarch, Ancient Greek Historian (c. 46-120 A.D.)

Smaller, More Responsive Government

1. Establish term limits—including lobbyists, congressional staffers, agency “lifers,” and the Supreme Court (18 years), with a rotating Chief Justice (every 6 years).
  2. Establish merit-based selection of U.S. Supreme Court justices, with two-thirds supermajority confirmation in the U.S. Senate.
  3. Rein in government spending. Balance the budget. Payoff the debt.
  4. Rein in corporate lobbying, including a 3-year “cooling off” period, increased transparency and monitoring, and stronger sanctions (fines and imprisonment) for violations.
  5. Halt domestic spying without a warrant. Abolish secret courts.
  6. Establish a national referendum over extended military action (“The War Powers Act of 1973 gives the president the power to wage war for 60 days before an authorization from Congress is needed.”)

Environmental Reform

1. Invest in clean, renewable energy.
  2. Move the country away from fossil fuels, while working with corporations to transition workers to new jobs.
  3. Demand clean water and clean air.
  4. Protect our oceans, rivers, and lakes from pollution, toxic dumping, and over-fishing.
  5. Continue to reduce carbon emissions.
  6. Repeal immediately the "Monsanto Protection Act," and the DARK Act (Deny Americans Right to Know Act).

Stage 2 Priorities: Implement the Progressive Agenda—

Women’s Rights

1. Eliminate the gender pay gap.
  2. Provide 90 days of paid family leave.
  3. Protect women’s health education
  4. Require the boards of all public companies to have at least 40% women (and at least 40% men too).

Immigration Reform

1. First and foremost, take immediate, reasonable steps to strengthen our borders, protect border communities, and bring an end to illegal immigration.
  2. Establish a just, humane path to citizenship that allows immigrant families to stay together, pay taxes, and contribute to the betterment of the United States. As Ronald Reagan said in his 1984 election, “I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and who have lived here even though sometime back they may have entered illegally.”
  3. Enforce the laws against employers that are illegally hiring illegal immigrants.
  4. Partner with our Latin American neighbors and allies around the world to reduce the extreme income inequality that drives migration.

Student Loan Reform

1. End the federal government’s profiteering off student loan programs.
  2. Curb excessive student loan interest rates.
  3. Make public colleges and universities tuition free.

Health Care

1. Establish a free healthcare system for all U.S. citizens, one that is equivalent to the healthcare available to members of the U.S. Congress.
  2. Eliminate the health insurance industry (We currently spend one-third of all healthcare dollars on billing and bureaucracy. This doesn’t even include the profits that go to insurance companies. This makes no sense. We propose to eliminate the health insurance industry and replace it with a single payer system.).
  3. Require the government to negotiate lower prices for healthcare costs and prescription drugs.

Gun Laws

1. We fully support the U.S. Constitution, including the Second Amendment.
  2. We do not support the increasing militarization of the police.
  3. We believe in reasonable backgroud checks for all gun buyers (but we do not suppport a “national gun registry” or unlawful government surveillance of gun buyers)
  4. Guiding Ideas:
    1. "The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world… The first step – in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come – is to teach men to shoot!" —Theodore Roosevelt
    2. "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.” —George Washington
    3. "By calling attention to ‘a well regulated militia,’ ‘the security of the nation,’ and the right of each citizen ‘to keep and bear arms,’ our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy… The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." —John F. Kennedy
    4. "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." —Thomas Jefferson
    5. "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." —Thomas Jefferson
    6. "You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time… It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience." —Ronald Reagan

Law Enforcement

1. End the war on drugs. Do not legalize drugs, but decriminalize personal possession. Treat drug use and abuse as a public health issue, not a crime.
  2. Recalibrate the DEA to focus on harm reduction and treatment programs, while continuing to focus on drug cartels, and keeping drugs out of the hands of kids.
  3. Legalize, regulate, and tax cannabis like alcohol.
  4. Outlaw private prisons.
  5. End mandatory minimums.
  6. Abolish asset forfeiture.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/09/huntington-beach-far-right-activist-contrite-after-fiery-video-about-capitol-attack-goes-viral/

Hide contents

There is no evidence that Antifa, a left wing anti-fascist, anti-racist political movement, was involved in the Capitol building attack, the FBI said.

The subdued demeanor Dreww exhibited during the interview was in sharp contrast to the vitriol he spewed in Wednesday’s video.

“You think if we can get into this Capitol, imagine what we could do to our local capitol,” he said in the video.

Additionally, in a Thursday post on Parler, a social networking site popular with conservatives who have fled Twitter, Dreww challenged those who questioned his zeal. “I am a real patriot and have rallied from Florida and Texas to DC and Portland,” he said.

Dreww’s ordeal began Sunday, when he left Huntington Beach and drove to Illinois to pick up his aunt.

He said he arrived in Washington about 9 a.m. Wednesday, in time to catch some of Donald Trump Jr.’s remarks at a rally outside the White House. When the speech ended, he headed to the Embassy Suites on New York Avenue.

While waiting for his car to be parked by a valet, Dreww learned pro-Trump supporters had stormed the Capitol. He grabbed his camera and headed toward the building.

Drew said it took about an hour to wind his way through the thick crowd of protesters, adding he ended up sitting under a tree on the lawn outside the Capitol, where he ate sandwiches with a teacher and a nurse.

He returned to his room after learning 35-year-old Ashli Babbitt of San Diego had been shot and killed by police while climbing through an interior window at the Capitol.

Dreww said he’s afraid he could be arrested by the FBI, which is investigating the Capitol attack, but maintains he did nothing wrong.

“I never went inside the Capitol,” he said. “I am a waste of time (for authorities to investigate), but there are other people who did terrible things and should be arrested. I didn’t go to Washington for Donald Trump. I went there for everyone’s vote to count.”

image.jpeg.d6b11c79cb75ac8276b26d2161d3cb91.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Stahl went in dry on Pelosi too, but Pelosi didn't run away like a little bitch.

I was actually glad Stahl did that.  Balanced reporting, despite what the crazies say. 

Edit to say I agree with DDD Dad on her responses.  

Edited by Wax Beer Cup

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Enlighten up blue.

I'm fairly repulsed by the neocon bomb squad of Cheny, Bolton et al.

I'm never Trump, but as in I've hated the motherfucker since like 1987.

I generally used to straddle between moderate Rs and centrist Ds, but completely on Democratic side of fence now.

Have added certain things to my wish list like UBI and Universal Healthcare.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I watched it; you aren't missing much but a bunch of overblown vfx, clips of MAGA land, and something happening on the 20th.
In other words, you aren't missing much.

Exactly the kind of thing to rile up his base. Not meant for the sane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Flee the country, no US Secret service.  Dude isn’t going to come out of pocket for his own security.   Israel or Saudi Arabia might bankroll his exile for a bit, but he will be miserable and will wear out his welcome in weeks.  Florida is where he is going and his shit will be on blast until he dies in shame in the next two years.  

Bibi is just as crooked as Trump, but a million times smarter.  He won't do anything to piss off Biden. Israel sucks up welfare from the US, and cannot survive without it. 

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

HB is the Florida of California.  Tito fucking Ortiz (MMA fighter, and Jenna Jameson's ex husband) is mayor pro-tem there, and recently missed a council meeting because he refused to wear a mask.  That's how stupid HB is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I watched it; you aren't missing much but a bunch of overblown vfx, clips of MAGA land, and something happening on the 20th.

In other words, you aren't missing much.

this is the scariest video I think I've ever seen. I believe that many people are intending a violent uprising on the 20th and a 2nd inauguration of Trump 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Next time is going to be for real. All the social media attention horses and pretend patriots have fucked around and found out. Anyone showing up on Jan 20 is a true believer. These fuckers are going to get killed and they have no one to blame but themselves. The tragedy is that some law enforcement and military will sustain casualties as well. All of this blood will be on Trump’s and his enablers’ hands. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Right now we’re kind of flying blind.  Based on what we know Pence and Pelosi are playing some weird game of chicken to act or run out the clock, or force Trump to resign. The media has completely blacked out Trump because he’s a dangerous lunatic.  The GOP’s inability to break from Trump right now is a five alarm fire.  Their loyalty is what’s most likely keeping Trump in office.  

If Pence and Pelosi run out the clock, 12:01 January 20th is when the Government has to deal with Trump. No idea what that will look like but it ain’t gonna be good. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

this is the scariest video I think I've ever seen. I believe that many people are intending a violent uprising on the 20th and a 2nd inauguration of Trump 

Hopefully Inauguration Day has clearly delineated lines including a shoot to kill zone. I don't actually want a whole bunch of dead Americans but most of these "warriors" will run away crying if they see a few people shot and killed even faster than if they just find out they're on the no-fly list.

8 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

How many people did Nixon and Carter torture? Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit. 

image.thumb.jpeg.826d0d432f8c2ec71a7d017714cadf88.jpeg

THANK YOU FOR THIS.

Fuck outta here with this Carter < Bush lie. Read some fucking history man. I remember the Carter years and the dawn of Reaganism. This is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3