The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

8 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Seriously... This is a coordinated push to bring many weapons into Congress right now. I am not sure that Round 2 is not going on right now.

WTF???

Expel them.  That's the only answer.

Or, of course, have the Speaker bring in a House sniper to sit up top, and if one of them makes a move for a weapon, drop them.

Again, it's not that they don't CARE about the attempt to decapitate Congress.....they SUPPORT IT, and may try it themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Redpuma said:

So this does get sticky. Congressmen may not be “arrested” while traveling to a session. “Arrest” is not so broad as to encompass a brief search, but denying a member of Congress entry to the chamber might raise a constitutional issue. That said, they are free to enter the chamber if they submit themselves to a brief search and do not bring weapons in. If they refuse the search, that’s not an arrest. They are free to leave. So.... I don’t know. But I’m not a constitutional expert. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yeah. And fuck.  Are they planning to end impeachment by shooting Pelosi?  Ya know, since the opening salvo of the coup last Wednesday didn't result in the deaths of any Dems yet (although at least 3 have Covid given to them by the GOP).  WTF is the goal here?

And one of those is in the hospital.  

Nancy needs to get control of the House.  You don't want to go through the metal detectors, fuck you.  You won't be allowed in the building to vote.  

These people are fucking titty babies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, staboner said:

lol the drama. cops on the ground need clear instructions and authority to act. until that happens ain't nothing you can do to stop the dicks from walking past

Correct.  It needs to be an enforced requirement.  If they refuse to a search and circumvent it, arrest them for failing to obey a lawful order.

As to their "it's unconstitutional" bullshit -- they are every bit the constitutional scholars we thought they were.  There is no constitutional requirement to allow a member of Congress to carry a firearm on the floor.  None.   Fuck them.  Let them fuck around, and let them find out.

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

So this does get sticky. Congressmen may not be “arrested” while traveling to a session. “Arrest” is not so broad as to encompass a brief search, but denying a member of Congress entry to the chamber might raise a constitutional issue. That said, they are free to enter the chamber if they submit themselves to a brief search and do not bring weapons in. If they refuse the search, that’s not an arrest. They are free to leave. So.... I don’t know. But I’m not a constitutional expert. 

The Congressman is not being denied admittance to the chamber.  Only their firearm is.

19 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Seriously... This is a coordinated push to bring many weapons into Congress right now. I am not sure that Round 2 is not going on right now.

WTF???

Someone needs to talk me off the ledge.  I think they're planning to shoot Pelosi during the impeachment vote tomorrow.  It's not like the Capitol Police are going to be searching all their offices overnight.  And now they just brought a bunch of weapons into the Capitol less than a week after the first part of the coup attempt.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Expel them.  That's the only answer.

Or, of course, have the Speaker bring in a House sniper to sit up top, and if one of them makes a move for a weapon, drop them.

Again, it's not that they don't CARE about the attempt to decapitate Congress.....they SUPPORT IT, and may try it themselves.

"Representative Gohmert was making furtive movements!"

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do they believe it’s some kind of principled stand that they do t have to go thru the detectors?  How did they get in planes to go to dc?  Kids go they them to get into schools all over the country.  We went thru them to get into Disneyland.  What’s so special about the Capitol?

They’re probing security for what they can get away with.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do they believe it’s some kind of principled stand that they do t have to go thru the detectors? 

You are a person of honor and reason, and you are trying to understand their actions based on how you yourself would act.

This is a mistake.

They are just contrarian jackasses. If the cops told them they could not go through the detector, they'd jump the rope and demand to go through it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

gop leaders are idiots who push irresponsible conspiracy theories.

citizens listen and become idiots who push irresponsible conspiracy theories.

those citizens vote to elect and reelect idiots who push irresponsible conspiracy theories.

the circle of fucking death.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

gop leaders are idiots who push irresponsible conspiracy theories.

citizens listen and become idiots who push irresponsible conspiracy theories.

those citizens vote to elect and reelect idiots who push irresponsible conspiracy theories.

the circle of fucking death.

You left out gop leaders then claim the citizens’ incorrect beliefs are sufficient reason to overturn an election. 

I’m a school counselor...when I worked in Houston we ALL went through metal detectors every damn day. My elementary kids never complained but these assholes fucking come unglued. Less than a week after they were under siege. I just can’t anymore...joining Brisket on the ledge.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Can DC charge Jr with crimes that daddy can’t pardon him for?  I have no idea how that works in a place that’s not a state. 

Not a constitutional scholar, but my answer to your question is:  Probably not.  Crimes committed in the District of Columbia are considered to be crimes against the United States, and there have been past instances in which presidents pardoned persons convicted of crimes committed in D.C.   Note also that there is precedent supporting the proposition that a pardon can be issued prior to conviction and prior to the initiation of criminal proceedings, so President Orange doesn't necessarily need to wait for charges to be brought or a conviction. 

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Not a constitutional scholar, but my answer to your question is:  Probably not.  Crimes committed in the District of Columbia are considered to be crimes against the United States, and there have been past instances in which presidents pardoned persons convicted of crimes committed in D.C.   Note also that there is precedent supporting the proposition that a pardon can be issued prior to conviction and prior to the initiation of criminal proceedings. 

Might keep his attention in the shiny object over there for some portion of the rest of his term, though. 

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Not a constitutional scholar, but my answer to your question is:  Probably not.  Crimes committed in the District of Columbia are considered to be crimes against the United States, and there have been past instances in which presidents pardoned persons convicted of crimes committed in D.C.   Note also that there is precedent supporting the proposition that a pardon can be issued prior to conviction and prior to the initiation of criminal proceedings. 

The upside: There are only so many hours in a day. if Daddy is pardoning Don Jr., that takes away time that he might otherwise have used to pardon some dude who tortured a baby.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

My money says Mitch views this as a way to get rid of the maga cancer in the party and retain his stature til the end of his career. He’s setting himself up to be able to say he got rid of the Dotard and be the face of “rational” republicans. He’s a fucking master politician and master fuckstick. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Which is just more proof that the head of the snake must be cut off. 

Think about it. The head of the snake is being served up on a silver platter to the rational republicans by the dems. If they don’t act now, they never will have the chance again. Trump has showed them the consequences of that.

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I despise Moscow Mitch but respect his abilities as a politician and what my instincts and tea leaves tell me is that it is in the republicans interest to be rid of trump once and for all, at least as a viable future candidate. That means the Senate eventually convicts. We shall see. 

Right now, Turtle has roughly four major problems

1. Trump is driving away voters in battleground states, based on down-ballot voting, and the fact that fucking Georgia went for Biden and both Senate seats flipped.
  2. Trump, Hawley, and Cruz are driving away corporate donations and BMDs from the GOP
  3. Trump is taking in donations that might have ended up in the coffers of the GOP instead
  4. Trump and his sons have vowed to primary every Republican who didn't support the objections last week, and many of those Senate Republicans rely on Turtle, and he relies on them.

And the elephant in the room is last week's Insurrection at the Capitol, which could be repeated at many more state Capitols, as well as D.C. next week.  That will help cement the attack ads for every Democrat up for re-election next year, as well as every Democrat looking to topple a Republican incumbent.

That's a pretty fucking huge crisis for the GOP.

And almost all of it can be solved by impeachment/removing Trump from future races.  Remove his ability to siphon away money and votes from the GOP in future races is a bigly thing on Turtle's agenda.  Send him to Florida with his tail betwixt his legs will help neuter his ability to primary sitting Republicans.

Turtle loves all of that sweet, sweet money that comes into the GOP and his PAC(s), and he loves the IOUs he earns by helping Senate and House Republicans win their elections with said money and favors.  Trump is an existential threat to all of that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You left out gop leaders then claim the citizens’ incorrect beliefs are sufficient reason to overturn an election. 

you don't even need that part.

as long as the idiots believe and use their vote, then conspiracy spewing q-morons will end up in elected positions.

nobody should be shocked or wonder "how did these people get in here?"  pretty simple to connect the dots.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ballsy as fuck for the Joint Chiefs to make sure in the letter that it's mentioned about Biden will become President on the 20th.

That's got to have Donnie seething, and more than a few of his followers angry at the military.

A few over on TrumpAgs are calling them traitors and deep staters.  So yeah

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right now, Turtle has roughly four major problems

1. Trump is driving away voters in battleground states, based on down-ballot voting, and the fact that fucking Georgia went for Biden and both Senate seats flipped.
  2. Trump, Hawley, and Cruz are driving away corporate donations and BMDs from the GOP
  3. Trump is taking in donations that might have ended up in the coffers of the GOP instead
  4. Trump and his sons have vowed to primary every Republican who didn't support the objections last week, and many of those Senate Republicans rely on Turtle, and he relies on them.

And the elephant in the room is last week's Insurrection at the Capitol, which could be repeated at many more state Capitols, as well as D.C. next week.  That will help cement the attack ads for every Democrat up for re-election next year, as well as every Democrat looking to topple a Republican incumbent.

That's a pretty fucking huge crisis for the GOP.

And almost all of it can be solved by impeachment/removing Trump from future races.  Remove his ability to siphon away money and votes from the GOP in future races is a bigly thing on Turtle's agenda.  Send him to Florida with his tail betwixt his legs will help neuter his ability to primary sitting Republicans.

Turtle loves all of that sweet, sweet money that comes into the GOP and his PAC(s), and he loves the IOUs he earns by helping Senate and House Republicans win their elections with said money and favors.  Trump is an existential threat to all of that.

this post makes a lot of sense.  the problem is that disallowing trump to run in 2024 doesn't eliminate a lot of mitch's problems, and some of them may even get worse.

trump will never go quietly.  he will figure out a way to get his words out, and either find a candidate to get behind or start grooming one of his children.  he'll also continue to follow through on fucking with current gop elections (and this includes donors).  the current gop isn't scared of trump, they're scared of what trump voters might do (or not do) when they're on the ballot. 

let's conservatively say that of the gop pie, 80% are loyal republicans, and don't give a shit about trump.  personally, i think we're kidding ourselves to suggest it's that high.  but let's say only 20% are loyal to trump and trump alone.  and let's say there's some percentage points that crawl back under their rocks never to vote again, rendering them meaningless for either side.

how many of these races can withstand a 20% haircut on the gop side?  he could kneecap the party just fine from the sidelines, and there's not much mitch can do about it.

it's actually fun to watch if you can look past all the murder and insurrection stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

RAT (pack) TIME!

For those not familiar with Ali Alexander

ali-alexander-1-1200x675-1.jpg?w=1024

So YOU are gonna sing for us Sammy...

DOJ not fucking around.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/politics/justice-department-us-capitol-breach-list/index.html

On the types of cases that the Justice Department is charging, Sherwin said, the "gamut of cases" and misconduct that they're looking at "is really mind-blowing."

This includes "significant felony cases tied to sedition and conspiracy," he said. Those charges would carry prison terms of up to 20 years. 

Looking at those charges is a "strike force" in the DC US Attorney's Office, Sherwin added.

"Their only marching orders," he said, are to build sedition and conspiracy charges related to "the most heinous acts that occurred in the Capitol, and these are significant charges that have felonies with a prison terms of up to 20 years."

Sherwin said Tuesday the Justice Department has put an emphasis on looking into rioters who engaged in "open-handed combat" with police officers during the breach. 

A clearer picture of what happened inside the Capitol, Sherwin said, is "going to come into laser focus I think over the next weeks and days, and I think people are going to be shocked with some of the egregious contact that happened within the Capitol."

FBI assistant director Steven D'Antuono, who spoke alongside Sherwin at Tuesday's news conference, said the FBI is pursuing information about a person or people who helped to plant pipe bombs outside the Republican and Democratic headquarters last week. 

D'Antuono said the bombs were real -- and had timers.

"We don't know exactly why they didn't go off," he added.

Imagine if the pipe bombs had went off.

D'Antuono also said the agency is considering keeping those who attacked the Capitol last week from boarding planes by adding them to the federal no-fly list.

Asked by CNN's Evan Pérez about the step, D'Antuono said: "As for the no-fly list, we look at all tools and techniques that we possibly can use within the FBI and that's something we are actively looking at."

• Drool 1

50 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Don't they all fly to DC and submit to checks at the airport.  No difference except geography.

Rules state they can have weapons in the building but not on the floor.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

my friend thinks Trump is going to barricade himself in the white house with 10k troops and make them come and get him.

I've been saying for at least two years that there's a real chance this ends with Trump barricaded in the White House re-enacting the final scene of Scarface against U.S. Marines only instead of a mound of cocaine, it'll be a mound of cheeseburgers.

Everyone thought I was kidding and/or being melodramatic.

Edit: I'm not saying I think this will happen.  But it's not a 0% chance, either.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this post makes a lot of sense.  the problem is that disallowing trump to run in 2024 doesn't eliminate a lot of mitch's problems, and some of them may even get worse.

trump will never go quietly.  he will figure out a way to get his words out, and either find a candidate to get behind or start grooming one of his children.  he'll also continue to follow through on fucking with current gop elections (and this includes donors).  the current gop isn't scared of trump, they're scared of what trump voters might do (or not do) when they're on the ballot. 

let's conservatively say that of the gop pie, 80% are loyal republicans, and don't give a shit about trump.  personally, i think we're kidding ourselves to suggest it's that high.  but let's say only 20% are loyal to trump and trump alone.  and let's say there's some percentage points that crawl back under their rocks never to vote again, rendering them meaningless for either side.

how many of these races can withstand a 20% haircut on the gop side?  he could kneecap the party just fine from the sidelines, and there's not much mitch can do about it.

it's actually fun to watch if you can look past all the murder and insurrection stuff.

If trump is serving time he won't have twitter.  If he is out after a conviction a condition of parole could be no social media.  That would be hilarious.

OK I'll stop dreaming.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

That last group is your qanon group I think - those people would not be out at rallies and voting were it not for Trump embracing them.  I've looked at relatives/acquaintances who have followed the Q stuff, both the serious types, and the "just asking questions" types, and they have spotty voting records at the most, with a few not even having voted before Trump in 2020.

Granted, that's a very small sample size, but look at what they believe and stand for - many weren't keen on either party to begin with, and a shitload of them are openly hostile to any Republicans who don't outright support and slobber all over Trump.

Not a lot, which is why the bandaid has to be ripped off now, rather than next year when Donnie and the Boys are trying to primary Republicans.

Ironically, while it would be Really Bad for the Republicans next year if the Trumpanzees attack a bunch of state capitols next week, in the long run, Mitch almost needs them to do one final Really Bad thing to forever push Donnie and Sons aside.

Mitch needs to be able to be the one visibly picking up the pieces of the GOP.

It is very much fun, and I have a feeling Turtle is not sleeping well.

Wonder if his wife is feeing him any intel from her CCCP contacts /q