The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Alternative: go full-on into totalitarianism, going down a road more horrific than you would ever like to imagine.  Seize power by violence, hold onto it by violence.  That option is absolutely on the table.

The Republican party is Anakin at this moment

The Star Wars Deep Dive: Mace and Anakin, Right and Wrong | StarWars.com

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Alternative: go full-on into totalitarianism, going down a road more horrific than you would ever like to imagine.  Seize power by violence, hold onto it by violence.  That option is absolutely on the table.

We agree on that.  I went down a hopeful path, but it's not the only path.  And I'm not sure which route is more likely a decade from now.  Gotta tell you that that hurts me to think about.  Like emotionally that will be something I don't think I'd ever get over if they end up going down that path and succeed.  There'd be a whole bunch of people I know in life that I'd never be able to forgive or speak to again.  It'd be another example of fucking baby boomers throwing a fit when they don't get what they want and ruining it for everyone else, which I've gotten to see close up for most of my life.  Fuck.

Oh, let the stores dropping his product simply be the prelude to the utter gutting he will receive in the defamation suit.  He promoted and trafficked in insane lies that will forever be associated with Dominion.  You can't unring the bell of the harm that has been caused to Dominion.  So, time to pay the price for ringing that bell.  He should be personally bankrupted.

My brothers MIL went to school with him. Said he was an absolute fucking moron. Shocking I know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/flynn-national-guard-call-riot/2021/01/20/7f4f41ba-5b4c-11eb-aaad-93988621dd28_story.html

The Army falsely denied for days that Lt. Gen. Charles A. Flynn, the brother of disgraced former national security adviser Michael Flynn, was involved in a key meeting during its heavily scrutinized response to the deadly assault on the U.S. Capitol.

Charles Flynn confirmed in a statement issued to The Washington Post on Wednesday that he was in the room for a tense Jan. 6 phone call during which the Capitol Police and D.C. officials pleaded with the Pentagon to dispatch the National Guard urgently, but top Army officials expressed concern about having the Guard at the Capitol.

Flynn left the room before the meeting was over, anticipating that then-Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, who was in another meeting, would soon take action to deploy more guard members, he said.

“I entered the room after the call began and departed prior to the call ending as I believed a decision was imminent from the Secretary and I needed to be in my office to assist in executing the decision,” Flynn said.

The general’s presence during the call — which has not previously been reported — came weeks after his brother publicly suggested that President Donald Trump declare martial law and have the U.S. military oversee a redo of the election. There is no indication that Charles Flynn shares his brother’s extreme views or discharged his duties at the Pentagon on Jan. 6 in any manner that was influenced by his brother.

It makes sense that Flynn, as the Army’s deputy chief of staff for operations, plans and training, would have been involved in the Pentagon response. The D.C. Guard answers to the president, but the president delegates control over the force to the defense secretary and the Army secretary, essentially leaving it to top Army officials to make critical decisions regarding the District’s military force. Flynn, however, is not in the chain of command.

Spoiler

The Army’s initial denial of Flynn’s participation in the critical Jan. 6 meeting, despite multiple inquiries on the matter, comes as lawmakers demand transparency from the Defense Department in the aftermath of one of Washington’s gravest national security failures, which left one police officer and four rioters dead, the Capitol desecrated and the lives of Vice President Mike Pence and members of Congress endangered.

The episode highlights the challenge for the Army in having an influential senior officer whose brother has become a central figure in QAnon, the extreme ideology that alleges Trump was waging a battle with Satan-worshiping Democrats who traffic children. Michael Flynn, who previously ran the Defense Intelligence Agency and left the Army as a three-star general, has espoused QAnon messages, and QAnon adherents are among those who have been charged in connection with the attempted insurrection. In November, Trump announced he had pardoned Flynn, who had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI.

McCarthy, who left office as the Trump administration concluded Wednesday, did not disclose in a Jan. 12 interview with The Post whether Charles Flynn was on the call. But he defended Flynn’s character, saying he has known him for years.

“Charlie Flynn is an officer of an incredibly high integrity,” McCarthy said. “Multiple combat tours. He has buried a lot of people. This guy has given a lot to this country. It is incredibly awkward for this officer every day for what is going on with him and his brother, but he puts his head down in, and he is locked in to serve the Constitution.”

Army officials, before and after that interview, denied that Flynn appeared during the call.

“HE WAS NOT IN ANY OF THE MEETINGS!” one Army official said on Jan. 12 in an email to The Post.

Like several others interviewed, the official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

After being approached with the accounts of multiple officials on the call, the Army sent a statement confirming Flynn participated.

The teleconference, organized by D.C. officials after authorities already had declared a riot at the Capitol, focused on what actions the military could take in response to the violence, with the Capitol Police chief pleading for help and the acting D.C. police chief growing incredulous at the Army’s reluctance to engage. The call included senior Army officials at the urging of Maj. Gen. William J. Walker, the commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, according to one person with direct knowledge of the situation.

Five officials who were on the call shared similar stories in which Army officials on the line said they were concerned about the visuals of sending National Guard members to the Capitol.

Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund, who has since resigned in the wake of the security failure, and acting D.C. police chief Robert J. Contee III were flabbergasted by the Army’s reaction, according to four people on the call. Sund had stressed that the Capitol had been breached by protesters and told those on the call that he had reports of shots being fired on the scene.

Sund, in an interview with The Post, previously said that another general on the call — whom others identified as Lt. Gen. Walter E. Piatt, the director of the Army Staff — raised concerns about guard members appearing at the Capitol.

“I don’t like the visual of the National Guard standing a police line with the Capitol in the background,” Piatt said, according to Sund and others on the call.

Piatt denied those remarks in a statement last week.

“I did not make the statement or any comments similar to what was attributed to me by Chief Sund in The Washington Post article — but would note that even in his telling he makes it clear that neither I, nor anyone else from [the Department of Defense], denied the deployment of requested personnel,” Piatt said.

It was at times difficult for the participants of the call to discern which top Army official was speaking. Officials on the call recalled hearing two Army leaders discussing the “optics” and “visual” of having National Guard members respond at the Capitol. One of the Army leaders described the protesters as “peaceful,” and Contee responded that “they’re not peaceful anymore,” two of the officials said.

U.S. defense officials have emphasized that federal law enforcement was better placed to clear the Capitol of rioters than members of the D.C. Guard, the entirety of which was ultimately activated by the Pentagon. Guard members arrived within hours of the call to help establish a perimeter around the Capitol grounds.

“If you ever cleared buildings with people that don’t do it for a living, you could have some very challenging types of things happen,” a senior U.S. defense official said in an interview.

Army officials declined to answer several questions about Flynn’s statement, including how long he was in the room during the call, whether he said anything, and if he was the one who described the crowd at the Capitol as mostly peaceful.

The Army also declined to answer why it falsely said for days that Flynn, who already has been confirmed by the Senate for a promotion to four-star general, was not involved.

“Thank you for the opportunity to comment, however we have nothing further to add,” the Army said in response to questions posed by The Post through email.

One official directly familiar with the situation said there was concern in both the Army and National Guard about possible political fallout if it was discovered that Flynn was involved in the Army’s deliberations. That is despite it being commonplace that the person in Flynn’s role would have been involved.

Defense officials have repeatedly defended their response to the assault on the Capitol, noting that D.C. officials sought a limited mission for the National Guard that day after thousands of guard members were deployed in the District in June during protests for racial justice. The D.C. National Guard activated 340 guard members in consultation with D.C. officials, with a limited, unarmed mission to staff traffic barriers and Metro stations so additional police officers would be available to deal with crowds.

Sund also did not seek National Guard assistance ahead of time — a reflection, he later said, of senior House and Senate security officials turning down his request to do so.

McCarthy said in his interview with The Post that without a plan to assist Capitol Police, it was “very challenging to understand” what was happening at the Capitol. Military officials said they didn’t want to send the Guard into a combustible situation without any planning that could have made matters worse.

“We were trying to get a handle on this,” McCarthy said. “And when we got moving, we moved as fast as we could from a cold start, not configured to take a reaction.”

15 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I would just like to say that I am thankful to black people for saving America. Officer Goodman, the voters in Georgia for the Senate, the voters for Biden in Detroit, Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Atlanta,etc. On behalf of white people, I’m sorry we treated y’all like shit all these years. We don’t deserve what you did but you did it anyway. Thank you.

It continues to blow me away how black people continue to love this country, and do "their duty" on behalf of this country that has treated them so poorly.

It almost makes you think there's something about America that transcends fucking Americans.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It continues to blow me away how black people continue to love this country, and do "their duty" on behalf of this country that has treated them so poorly.

It almost makes you think there's something about America that transcends fucking Americans.

Where else are they gonna go? They know this is their home and nowhere else on the planet will they be made to feel at home. Even in Africa they'd be looked down upon as Americans. They're people who can never really feel at home anywhere, they could be steps away from the place they're born and still treated like outsiders by any authorities and many citizens based on a visual cue. It's gotta suck more than people who don't know what it's like can imagine. 

• Fuck You 2

On 1/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, Captainant said:

What the actual fuck the defenses at the capitol are nothing but a fig leaf. Look at this shit, there's metal doors sliding down to seal the visitor center and the can just be pushed back up easily

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/?id=AYijYnzI0Gbr

These videos are fucking WILD

Met Biggs in Austin circa 2016. Sad drunk vet working for Alex Jones.  

Vid he took of his arrest back then.

https://youtu.be/cBDDz4VcvFk

Thanks for posting the pro publica videos from Parler.

He’s in green plaid jacket and black glasses and knit cap at end of first inside capital vid saying “this is awesome”.  And a ton more.  I read he has been charged and released.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe because they realize the options out there are limited and understand the best way to have the country they want is to create the country they want as opposed to acting like petulant children with imaginary options?  Not everyone realizes that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not gonna bother looking up the shit Curt Schilling has been up to on social media.  I don't have the accounts or the emotional bandwidth.  And the Hall is filled with one racist, drug-riddled, wife-beating, asshole after another.  But if you openly supported an insurrection against the nation to which your game has itself lovingly attached...then even Ty Cobb has to ask, "That fucking guy?  Really?"  

Edited by Lobo

11 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Would be funny as fuck. And yeah, the HOF has plenty of members who did questionable things as a player or in their personal lives.  But pretty sure none of them supported an insurrection against the United States of America.

I'd love it. curt wants to be in the HOF almost as bad as he wants to play the victim.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I did not have Baseball HOF voters looking to rescind their votes because of an attempted coup on my bingo card.

Yeah, I had something about "I rescind my vote because I did not realize that guy was actually a Dominican relief pitcher moonlighting as a designated hitter at Coors Field who only played home games out of a sense of irony on an elephant level amount of steroids."  But I did not have "wears bloody sock in solidarity with coup army."  2021 ain't giving a solitary fuck.  

Edited by Lobo

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

i am reminded of a very passionate and clearly stated defense of the BLM movement eloquently articulated by a lady in, i believe, Cleveland (is that where the NFL HoF us? bc that's where she was)... i was moved to tears by her righteously angry words, but what struck me most, what hit with a gutpunch, was her finish, which went something along the lines of "America ought to be grateful all we want is equality... and not revenge."

i mean...yeah.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, Captainant said:

What the actual fuck the defenses at the capitol are nothing but a fig leaf. Look at this shit, there's metal doors sliding down to seal the visitor center and the can just be pushed back up easily

image.gif.f7bd67562b51c0f04d15662ac3fd0255.gifimage.gif.293f74f63f90402a8cea63f9f5fb1ddc.gif

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, Captainant said:

I watched a few.  There was an actual coup attempt.  Thousands of Trump supporters went to D.C. to try to stop Congress from certifying the results of the election.  On one level, I just can't believe it actually happened.  For some reason, I've never really taken the threat of Trump and his supporters seriously.  They are clowns to be pitied for their utter stupidity, not feared.  This felt like a parody of a presidency and of an insurrection, not an actual fascist takeover of the USA.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I watched a few.  There was an actual coup attempt.  Thousands of Trump supporters went to D.C. to try to stop Congress from certifying the results of the election.  On one level, I just can't believe it actually happened.  For some reason, I've never really taken the threat of Trump and his supporters seriously.  They are clowns to be pitied for their utter stupidity, not feared.  This felt like a parody of a presidency and of an insurrection, not an actual fascist takeover of the USA.

Hitler's takeover of Germany was a similar clown show.  Seriously, the architects of his rise were a bunch of dipshits.  If you'd have predicted in the early 1930s that this dipshit and his merry band of fucksticks was not just going to control Germany, but control most of Europe and successfully murder millions in an orchestrated plan, you'd have been laughed out of most every room.

But today, we have history to look at now.  And it tells us that the successful attack would NOT come from a sinister, well-organized foe.  It will be from a Trojan horse bunch of dipshits....like exactly what we saw the past four years.  Every fucking alarm bell should have been going off -- the culmination of it all on 1/6 was ALWAYS exactly how this was going to go down.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

so after many here were accused of "overreacting" because of the metal detectors installed at the capitol building, and were assured that "nobody is actually scared for their life because congressmen might carry guns", aoc comes out and says she doesn't feel safe because congressmen are trying to carry guns in the house chambers.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/535399-ocasio-cortez-we-still-dont-feel-safe-and-fear-colleagues-sneaking-firearms-on

there was video earlier on cnn, but i couldn't find it and didn't look very hard.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so after many here were accused of "overreacting" because of the metal detectors installed at the capitol building, and were assured that "nobody is actually scared for their life because congressmen might carry guns", aoc comes out and says she doesn't feel safe because congressmen are trying to carry guns in the house chambers.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/535399-ocasio-cortez-we-still-dont-feel-safe-and-fear-colleagues-sneaking-firearms-on

there was video earlier on cnn, but i couldn't find it and didn't look very hard.

It's against the rules so arrest escort them out. They escorted Rep Ross out for putting his hoodie up due to the rules, they can do that to these folks as well.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Hitler's takeover of Germany was a similar clown show.  Seriously, the architects of his rise were a bunch of dipshits.  If you'd have predicted in the early 1930s that this dipshit and his merry band of fucksticks was not just going to control Germany, but control most of Europe and successfully murder millions in an orchestrated plan, you'd have been laughed out of most every room.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, this is spot on.  The Nazis at the time of the Beer Hall Putsch were a joke.  The fact they actually thought they would succeed with such a flimsy plan illustrates their ignorance.  Let's march in Munich and the whole country is ours!  But deep pockets kept them afloat because it served their interests.  Even as Hitler fully came to power they thought of him as their puppet.  A very dangerous game with horrific consequences.

We have the useful idiots and a flimsy plan.  Let's see if we can learn from history and change paths.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, this is spot on.  The Nazis at the time of the Beer Hall Putsch were a joke.  The fact they actually thought they would succeed with such a flimsy plan illustrates their ignorance.  Let's march in Munich and the whole country is ours!  But deep pockets kept them afloat because it served their interests.  Even as Hitler fully came to power they thought of him as their puppet.  A very dangerous game with horrific consequences.

We have the useful idiots and a flimsy plan.  Let's see if we can learn from history and change paths.

I THINK the difference is the deep pockets don’t think Trump is a controllable puppet anymore. Hence the corporate money going away and directing  Mitch to distance and hopefully eliminate any future eligibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well played by AOC. She's a good tactician.

I do t know what you call the name above the @ on the Twitter header (title?), but popehat does a great job of constantly changing his to something relevant. Every imbedded post of his on here has a different one. 

Also, maybe the real insurrection is the co-conspirators we made along the way. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I do t know what you call the name above the @ on the Twitter header (title?), but popehat does a great job of constantly changing his to something relevant. Every imbedded post of his on here has a different one. 

He does. His real name is Ken White IIRC, and he's great.

So, Lin Wood is just absolutely drowning in some sort of break from reality.

I mean, this is JUST like the millions of people who marched for racial justice this year. Why, I remember well our hours of training on how to assault a fortified position, capture and restrain prisoners, and execute them. And man, who can forget our actions to capture the Capitol, murder the entire Congress, and install Trump as dictator? For months, we spoke of little else!

Wait...that didn’t happen? Not at all? My bad.

These sick fucks are a goddamned terrorist movement inspired and led by dozens of GOP mouthpieces. The GOP is inextricably intertwined - and actually reliant on - a fundamentalist terrorist movement. Any objective intelligence analyst would absolutely monitor GOP “chatter” to determine additional future threats. And McCarthy excuses them, which means he continues to enable them.

They’re terrorists. Let’s stop calling them anything else.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, this is JUST like the millions of people who marched for racial justice this year. Why, I remember well our hours of training on how to assault a fortified position, capture and restrain prisoners, and execute them. And man, who can forget our actions to capture the Capitol, murder the entire Congress, and install Trump as dictator? For months, we spoke of little else!

Wait...that didn’t happen? Not at all? My bad.

These sick fucks are a goddamned terrorist movement inspired and led by dozens of GOP mouthpieces. The GOP is inextricably intertwined - and actually reliant on - a fundamentalist terrorist movement. Any objective intelligence analyst would absolutely monitor GOP “chatter” to determine additional future threats. And McCarthy excuses them, which means he continues to enable them.

They’re terrorists. Let’s stop calling them anything else.

I feel like most of the country is already putting this behind them because Biden is the president now. 

I think the insurrectionists will see consequences, but I fear none of the people who incited it will ever be punished. McCarthy, Cruz, Hawley. I think we are about to prove that all politicians are above the law. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

To me, the most fascinating/sad part of people going off the deep end is that they have families. Can Lin Wood hear how disappointed his daughter is in him when he calls to see how she's doing? Does he care?

She’ll be aaight.   She’ll be leading 45yr old married men to the VIP room, and financing her trips to the Bahamas with a smile on her face.