The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

11 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

How in the ever loving fuck is bison head not in custody?

He’s already given an interview where he said he will contact authorities to give his side and doesn’t expect anything to happen to him. And he will be back in 10 days for the “war.”

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Coffman, 70, told police he had mason jars filled with "melted Styrofoam and gasoline." Federal investigators believe that combination, if exploded, would have the effect of napalm "insofar as it causes the flammable liquid to better stick to objects that it hits upon detonation," according to the court record.

Oh cool, I read the Anarchist's Cookbook 30 years ago when I was in high school!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this is fun...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/us/politics/democrats-trump-impeachment.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

At the White House, Mr. Trump struck a defiant tone, insisting that he would remain a potent force in American politics as aides and allies abandoned him and his post-presidential prospects turned increasingly bleak. Behind closed doors, he made clear that he would not resign and expressed regret about releasing a video on Thursday committing to a peaceful transition of power and condemning the violence at the Capitol that he had egged on a day before.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

16 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Cruz and Hawley must resign. 

Treasonous behavior and they have been educated enough to know it. 

This Nation was founded on the ideals of democracy. We test that every four years. It is the hallmark of the United States and Sens. Cruz and Hawley chose to attack democracy in our republic. 

Time for them to step down.  They will be replaced, no doubt, with equally bad actors - but they must go.

Time for us to live up to our ideals. 

Dems: Al Franken resigns under pressure after apparently acting inappropriately.

GOP: Even after sedition, you'll have to drag us out.

The problem is that Trump's base and Rs in general haven't held him accountable in any real way. Cruz and Hawley are courting that base, doing the traditional silly contorted mating dance and dreaming that enough idiots will enable them to be unaccountable too. They may still turn out to be right.

Come to think of it, Republicans have tolerated and often lionized lawbreakers on their Team for a long time. Nixon, Ollie North, Kyle the WI shooter are just a few.

Maybe, just maybe people who choose to support the Republican Party should endeavor change that. Or honestly admit that you really do give safe cover to enemies of democracy on the reg.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

i wonder if he's receiving AF retirement / pension / benefits / disability ?

He can be recalled to duty and subjected to court martial.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.military.com/daily-news/2020/01/29/military-retirees-can-be-court-martialed-after-all-appeals-court-decides.html/amp

And he should be. He took up arms against the United States government (in this context, that’s exactly what those zip ties are). He should lose everything. Everything.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i wonder if he's receiving AF retirement / pension / benefits / disability ?

That “Ret” says yes.  You don’t get that without making it to 20.  He’s pulling about $50K just from his retirement.  That’s not even counting the ridiculous deal retirees get on health insurance.   

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.military.com/daily-news/2020/01/29/military-retirees-can-be-court-martialed-after-all-appeals-court-decides.html/amp

And he should be. He took up arms against the United States government (in this context, that’s exactly what those zip ties are). He should lose everything. Everything.

AF needs to drop it in him. hard time 

So this is fun...
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/us/politics/democrats-trump-impeachment.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
At the White House, Mr. Trump struck a defiant tone, insisting that he would remain a potent force in American politics as aides and allies abandoned him and his post-presidential prospects turned increasingly bleak. Behind closed doors, he made clear that he would not resign and expressed regret about releasing a video on Thursday committing to a peaceful transition of power and condemning the violence at the Capitol that he had egged on a day before.

You mean predictable. It’s predictable. In fact, to have thought that anything else would happen would be folly.

He is a terrorist leading a terrorist movement, and he must be dealt with as such. The legal system should show him no mercy.
  • Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

That's what I was referring to.  Keep reading.

(b) The punishment for a violation of subsection (a) is-

(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if-

(A) the person, during and in relation to the offense, uses or carries a deadly or dangerous weapon or firearm; or (B) the offense results in significant bodily injury as defined by section 2118(e)(3); and

(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, in any other case.

18 U.S.C. § 1752

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, Brisketexan said:

You mean predictable. It’s predictable. In fact, to have thought that anything else would happen would be folly.

He is a terrorist leading a terrorist movement, and he must be dealt with as such. The legal system should show him no mercy.

Completely agree with you.  

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This absolutely could and should happen.  

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh cool, I read the Anarchist's Cookbook 30 years ago when I was in high school!

I asked my mom to buy that for me in high school. I think she was just happy I wanted a cookbook.

The book disappeared mysteriously, way before its time. Roughly when she learned that the recipes are for pipe bombs and bathtub acid.

I never did get to make that Burmese tiger trap.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

at 24 years, it's right in the middle.... 60% of $9186/month is $5788 x 12 = $66817

True.  If you retire mid-40s and live until 80, it’s the equivalent of having nearly $2M in the bank.  It’s an exceptionally generous retirement plan.  

I have to admit that my politics changed a bit once that retirement pay started hitting the bank account.

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think so.  One thing that may be influencing it, though, is that I have seen the video of the shooting on several occasions.  I tend to avoid them in other cases because I don't like watching people get killed.  I can usually generate some sort of empathy or outrage without having to watch them get killed.

I'm not flat sympathetic to her.  I acknowledge her crimes.  If anyone thinks I am somehow excusing the insurrectionists by regretting her shooting and death, well you can fuck right off.

I simply question the necessity of shooting her.

I have no doubt that in court it would be legally justified, but that's not the source of my agitation about it.  We all know the courts are overly deferential to LEO.  This would be one of the more appropriate exercises of qualified immunity.

I have said on at least one occasion here that a more forceful response from Capitol Police or others would have been justified legally and every other way.  I haven't seen a lot of evidence that the force would have required shooting people, but can't rule that out, either.  Some of those fuckers were armed.

It has become more clear to me that perhaps her group advanced, violently, further than the rest of the insurrectionists.  And therefore that maybe she was "one of the worst" and more deserving of being shot than some of the others.

However, I have also learned that that door was to the "Speaker's Lobby" outside Pelosi's office and other majority House members.  That seems bad, and maybe evidence that she was a clear and present danger.  But, we also know that Pelosi's office was actually occupied by Bigo and others, so that would seem to indicate that no House members were in that space or threatened by her actions.

I believe we have also learned that it was not Secret Service that shot her, but plainclothes Capitol Police (which is relevant only in that Secret Service might indicate the close proximity of endangered House members).  I have seen no evidence that she was armed, which would change my calculus on the deal.

All in all, it would have been more satisfying and appropriate that the shooter or another officer or group instead drag her ass through the window and beat her, tase her, gas her right there in front of that crowd.  Why not a warning shot?

As far as I know, no other gunshots were fired, and certainly no others were shot.  There are bullet holes in the glass at the entrance that are unexplained.

As I think you said, I was processing the thing at the time and still am.

Maybe I'm wrong and off as so many insist, but as I continue to process it, I still find her death to be unnecessary.  The whole goddamn thing was just so unnecessary and this weird combination of very serious business and total fucking clownshow.

Good argument counselor, now, do the other side.

8 hours ago, smuggs said:

Seriously... everyone knows Pelosi maintains her nudes in Polaroid form under lock and key.

gettyimages-1094200504.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Looks like the decision is limited to those on "Fleet Reserve" duty, which the Air Force has no equivalent.  Somewhere between a reserve duty and fully retired.

I was aware of this case, and of the fleet reserve stipulation, but was unaware that the Army and Air Force don’t have an equivalent.  So that’s one new thing I’ve learned today. 

4 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

True.  If you retire mid-40s and live until 80, it’s the equivalent of having nearly $2M in the bank.  It’s an exceptionally generous retirement plan.  

I have to admit that my politics changed a bit once that retirement pay started hitting the bank account.

I know a couple  Ret. AF Lt. Cols.

They both feel they are being cheated.  Late 50s, have seemed to bounce from job to job in retirement.

I love the fact that Constitution-hater Eric Munchel  has a name that is pretty uncommon. If he was "Bill Smith"  or something, future prospective employers who Google his name wouldn't find it.  But Eric Munchel broke into the United States Capitol with the intention of inflicting harm on Senators and Congressmen, to include kidnapping.  I hope Eric Munchel goes to prison for a long, long time. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Whine some more....

I don’t guess he realizes that Twitter would’ve not been a platform for him without 230 because they would’ve already been sued to oblivion or would’ve had to ban people much more aggressively without that protection. He wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did on Twitter without it. 

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

What a fucking titty baby

Josh, don’t want none won’t be none. But you just had to fuck around and find out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like the decision is limited to those on "Fleet Reserve" duty, which the Air Force has no equivalent.  Somewhere between a reserve duty and fully retired.

My understanding (which is admittedly limited) is that the ability to recall retired military was broad. There was a decision that limited that because the lower court found the distinction between retirees and reservists unconstitutional, and then the court of appeals reversed that, returning it to the status quo.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My understanding (which is admittedly limited) is that the ability to recall retired military was broad. There was a decision that limited that because the lower court found the distinction between retirees and reservists unconstitutional, and then the court of appeals reversed that, returning it to the status quo.

Sounds like a little bit of FA&FO.

24 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I know a couple  Ret. AF Lt. Cols.

They both feel they are being cheated.  Late 50s, have seemed to bounce from job to job in retirement.

I’ll never understand that attitude, other than the fact the USAF is the spoiled brat of the armed forces.  I’m a retired Navy O-5, and I am embarrassed to answer questions about my retirement pay. I get especially uncomfortable when the topic of health insurance comes up.  I am humbled by and grateful for the U.S. Military retirement benefits.  
This Lt. Col just pissed all over that generosity, and while he may not be subject to recall to active duty and court martial, he damned sure better be worried about the Hiss Act: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/96-530.pdf

Members of Congress (and most other officers and employees of the federal government)6 now forfeit the federal retirement annuities for which they had qualified if they are convicted of a federal crime that relates to espionage, treason or other national security offense against the United States, as expressly designated in the so-called “Hiss Act.”7 The provisions of this law concerning forfeiture of pensions apply, at 5 U.S.C. § 8312, to convictions for such offenses as disclosure of classified information, espionage, sabotage, treason, misprision of treason, rebellion or insurrection, seditious conspiracy, harboring or concealing persons, gathering or transmitting defense information, perjury in relation to those offenses, and other designated offenses relating to secrets and national security.

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

The Brits are so much better at this than we are

I love when she throws in “and Australia” because she’s not sure where he’s from 

I need to casually work "aplomb" into my conversations without anyone noticing my pretentiousness, but is such sorcery possible?

*thinks*

Guurrrl, you tha aplomb!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’ll never understand that attitude, other than the fact the USAF is the spoiled brat of the armed forces.  I’m a retired Navy O-5, and I am embarrassed to answer questions about my retirement pay. I get especially uncomfortable when the topic of health insurance comes up.  I am humbled by and grateful for the U.S. Military retirement benefits.  
This Lt. Col just pissed all over that generosity, and while he may not be subject to recall to active duty and court martial, he damned sure better be worried about the Hiss Act: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/96-530.pdf

you earned it 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I don’t guess he realizes that Twitter would’ve not been a platform for him without 230 because they would’ve already been sued to oblivion or would’ve had to ban people much more aggressively without that protection. He wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did on Twitter without it. 

Josh, don’t want none won’t be none. But you just had to fuck around and find out. 

I've raised that several times but said of course it goes over his head. Everything is over his head.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

"Friend" of mine's dad was in the special forces back in the good old Vietnam days.  "Friend" had some of the original manuals used as reference materials for the Anarchist's Cookbook. 

The smoke bomb recipes were my favorite.  We whipped up the purple version, set that fucker off while cranking Jimi's "Purple Haze" and covered a full city block in purple smoke.  Alcohol may have been involved.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1