The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Your daily reminder this bloody coup is ongoing until Trump is taken into custody.

And no, Joe Biden becoming President doesn’t stop Trump. 

This. A change of who sits in office is very important, but the message and masses are still out there. I study insurgencies as part of my job and have been doing this for a long time across the globe.

One of the scariest number is it only takes .5% of a population to fuck up a country. For every pissed off insurgent there are always 10 who support silently. Those are the ones who are rarely identified and outed. They know how to blend/hide in plain view and even be recognized members of society, like the Oklahoma Sheriff, the Rep from West Virginia. 

It needs to be remembered that those who create the vision and phycological justification for actions are more dangerous than those who commit them. To put it into the Jihadi experience (so those on the far right will understand), it is not the suicide bomber who is the most dangerous. Yes, you want to stop him, eliminate him, but the key is the person who radicalized them, convinced them to commit the act, and sat back and watched. That is who we need to ID and out. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, mdmost said:

I know, it's a real shame you can't call people faggots anymore or say black people and HIspanics are lazy without repercussions

Yea, that's what i said. You are not an honest person

Why not just debate the actual points that i made if you disagree? If you are suggesting that Political Correctness is not a real thing, then once again I don't consider that an honest point of view, it's pretty much accepted by everyone, even liberals that it is a powerful force

• Fuck You 14

31 minutes ago, Loather said:

More Americans self-identify as conservative than as liberal. As recently as fall 2018, Republicans controlled the Presidency and both houses of congress. You would have to conclude from all of this that there are a bunch of conservative Americans, it's probably a majority of the population. It almost certainly is a majority here in Texas. 

Think about how many conservatives there must be on this site. Where are they? You know. On Surly only liberal views are tolerated. If any conservative views are espoused, they are met with immediate hostility and scorn. These folks are smart enough to keep their mouths shut. I have to congratulate the Democratic/Liberal branch of the political world, you win the debate by default, you have completely silenced the other side. And you seem to like it that way. But why would you want to be in an echo chamber? If your arguments are sound, why not engage and convince people? These folks are your neighbors, your family, they are Longhorn fans. 

There are morons on both sides. You have the Goat Boy with painted face and horns storming the capital. You have hoodlums rioting and looting Kmarts under the pretext of protesting police brutality. Right now these are the only people getting our attention and controlling the conversation. 

Predictably, the capital siege is being used to further silence people. Along with the censoring of people on Facebook and Twitter, Google has just cut access to an alternative app called Parler, Apple may follow suit. It will not happen, but there are even calls to have Fox News dropped from cable providers. That would be cheered by a lot of you, but is this really what you want? Many conservative Americans already feel that their voices have been stifled by Political Correctness, and now it looks to them like they are being completely silenced. This is frightening to people, and people do crazy stuff when they are frightened. If a large portion of the population starts to feel that they cannot get a response from their government by voting, or that they are not going to even be able to express their views, what might they resort to? What would you do if every outlet for liberal views was shut down?

These millions of conservative Americans are not going anywhere. You can silence them, you have proven that, but you can't make them disappear.

No, Conservative voices have NOT been silenced or stifled in any way, especially not by political correctness.  This is a lie radical right wing republicans like to tell in order to justify what they are about to say or do that is racist, bigoted, or promotes justification for them about to do harm or commit violence against a group of people because of what they look like.  

That's it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s a moving read Fran, thanks for posting. But part of me was thinking “Isn’t it a crime scene? Should he have been cleaning up evidence like body armor?”

By the time the Congress people were allowed back in it had been hours and if they wanted to collect evidence there was plenty of time to do so. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

One of the scariest number is it only takes .5% of a population to fuck up a country. For every pissed off insurgent there are always 10 who support silently. Those are the ones who are rarely identified and outed. They know how to blend/hide in plain view and even be recognized members of society, like the Oklahoma Sheriff, the Rep from West Virginia. 

Based on this your numbers for this country are low.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210108210622-t35pv

A small minority of the American public -- 12% -- said they supported the actions of those people who took part in the riot.

10 minutes ago, Loather said:

Ok, so let me be clear on this

Trump and Ted Cruz should be silenced. But Mitt Romney is ok, at least for now. Got it. You guys must be really wise to discern who warrants censorship and who is safe. I absolutely trust your call on this. Better yet, lets just let an anonymous bureaucrat somewhere decide. Nothing could go wrong with that. 

It's a pretty low bar, really. Don't try to stage a coup. That's it. I don't really care about the other lies and bullshit that can be brushed away with "it's just politics". Sure, I think they're shitty people with shitty ideas, just don't try to stage an illegal takeover of the US Government. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RPM said:

Man pictured carrying Pelosi's lectern during Capitol riot is arrested
Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida, was arrested Friday night is being held on a federal warrant, jail records show.

210106-capitol-protest-ew-332p_daa09f36a

Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida was arrested Friday around 9 p.m. and is being held on a federal warrant, jail records from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office show.

Bet his mom grounds him and suspends his allowance for a week. 

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No, Conservative voices have NOT been silenced or stifled in any way, especially not by political correctness.  This is a lie radical right wing republicans like to tell in order to justify what they are about to say or do that is racist, bigoted, or promotes justification for them about to do harm or commit violence against a group of people because of what they look like.  

That's it. 

There's nothing conservative about the republican party. They've wasted trillions of dollars, they start unnecessary wars, and they hold up any advancement of policy that could benefit the American people. We need to stop referring to them as conservative

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, Loather said:

More Americans self-identify as conservative than as liberal. As recently as fall 2018, Republicans controlled the Presidency and both houses of congress. You would have to conclude from all of this that there are a bunch of conservative Americans, it's probably a majority of the population. It almost certainly is a majority here in Texas. 

Think about how many conservatives there must be on this site. Where are they? You know. On Surly only liberal views are tolerated. If any conservative views are espoused, they are met with immediate hostility and scorn. These folks are smart enough to keep their mouths shut. I have to congratulate the Democratic/Liberal branch of the political world, you win the debate by default, you have completely silenced the other side. And you seem to like it that way. But why would you want to be in an echo chamber? If your arguments are sound, why not engage and convince people? These folks are your neighbors, your family, they are Longhorn fans. 

There are morons on both sides. You have the Goat Boy with painted face and horns storming the capital. You have hoodlums rioting and looting Kmarts under the pretext of protesting police brutality. Right now these are the only people getting our attention and controlling the conversation. 

Predictably, the capital siege is being used to further silence people. Along with the censoring of people on Facebook and Twitter, Google has just cut access to an alternative app called Parler, Apple may follow suit. It will not happen, but there are even calls to have Fox News dropped from cable providers. That would be cheered by a lot of you, but is this really what you want? Many conservative Americans already feel that their voices have been stifled by Political Correctness, and now it looks to them like they are being completely silenced. This is frightening to people, and people do crazy stuff when they are frightened. If a large portion of the population starts to feel that they cannot get a response from their government by voting, or that they are not going to even be able to express their views, what might they resort to? What would you do if every outlet for liberal views was shut down?

These millions of conservative Americans are not going anywhere. You can silence them, you have proven that, but you can't make them disappear.

After you punch your wife in the face I bet you tell her “look what you made me do!!!”

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

By the time the Congress people were allowed back in it had been hours and if they wanted to collect evidence there was plenty of time to do so. 

You don”t really need a whole lot of physical evidence when the perpetrators  filmed their crimes and posted the video on their social media accounts.

Going to ignore the policy talk due to the thread title and relevance and also the moral religious stuff for a moment...

In some circles I believe that 'conservative' is a coded word that means 'I want to be able to talk about your boobs while you're standing next to me and another colleague in the conference room and not have you get all butt hurt about it and file a complaint.' Goes for other demographics and groups as well.

The solution is not extreme cancel culture (or whatever it's called), but just as the pendulum was beginning to swing back a little more central and where people were beginning to become aware that yes, words have consequences and maybe calling a President a 'n*ppy headed ****' in front of the black press operator was a bad idea and that was cause for complaint, a large group of Americans thought, "no, that's too hard to have to actually think and measure my words before I speak. That careful consideration to my communication with other humans is too much to ask. I do not want to confine my yawp to my inner self as a true conservative would do... I wanna be freeeeeee." In one form of the definition, that is liberating and thus a liberal.

And here we are. Upside down world.

Policy on the other hand, I don't know how many fiscal conservatives there are but they don't seem to thick on the ground.

Trump and Ted Cruz should be silenced. But Mitt Romney is ok, at least for now. Got it. You guys must be really wise to discern who warrants censorship and who is safe. I absolutely trust your call on this. Better yet, lets just let an anonymous bureaucrat somewhere decide. Nothing could go wrong with that. 

Do you believe that with respect to ISIS or Al Qaeda accounts calling on martyrs to attack the great Satan, and make America’s streets run red with the blood of the infidels, Twitter should 1) shut down those posts and accounts, or 2) leave them all up, so as not to “censor opposing viewpoints?”

Until you post your answer, you should bet nothing but neg rep.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Loather said:

Why not just debate the actual points that i made if you disagree? If you are suggesting that Political Correctness is not a real thing, then once again I don't consider that an honest point of view, it's pretty much accepted by everyone, even liberals that it is a powerful force

Because your points are the typically lazy conservative ones that previous right wingers have made. It's the typical laziness used to excuse Trumpism. This fear that white people have it so badly now in "their country". Oh shit, I have to watch what terrible words come out of my mouth now. The horror!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Loather said:

Here's an easy line, you cannot incite a riot or insurrection against the United States.

Are you going to keep trolling? 

16 minutes ago, Loather said:

Officials telling lies that lead to violent acts of insurrection should be silenced. How is this even a question?

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Loather said:

9 minutes ago, Loather said:

Because you didn't make any.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's a pretty low bar, really. Don't try to stage a coup. That's it. I don't really care about the other lies and bullshit that can be brushed away with "it's just politics". Sure, I think they're shitty people with shitty ideas, just don't try to stage an illegal takeover of the US Government. 

If you propose hatred and violence you should be silenced. We have 350 million people trying to coexist in a society here. Civility is the number 1 requirement for any type of sustained existence. The Republican party has become a radicalized terrorist organization spouting hatred and violence constantly. They should be silenced and destroyed until something resembling civility can arise from those ashes. 

• Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, Loather said:

Think about how many conservatives there must be on this site. Where are they? You know. On Surly only liberal views are tolerated. If any conservative views are espoused, they are met with immediate hostility and scorn.

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here's the problem with everything you just typed:

Those folks that gathered in DC on Wednesday?  They are not conservatives.  Furthermore, the folks being silenced on Twitter, etc?  They are not conservatives either.

I don't see Mitt Romney's Twitter account being shut down.  Or Mitch McConnell's.  Or even Ted Cruz's.  And those three aren't liberals at all. 

What I do see are people who are hell bent on breaking things.  I don't call that conservatism.  

This. The party of trump-and-dank-memes left the actual conservatives. Intellectually justified by big brained Rush Limbaugh, some formerly principled conservatives sold out for the short term winning (so much winning!), and due to unreasonable fear of the left that was stoked for 8 years. The never-trumpers fearing long term consequences were called spineless cowards and got to watch the predictable train wreck. The fractured GOP deserves the unusual losses coming at the mid terms. 

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

A conservative proudly lecturing liberals on the dangers of the private market regulating itself?

Must have never heard of ALEC. Or, really, Republican politics in general for the past 40 years. I’m sure he was outraged when Scott Pruitt, lobbyist for the oil and gas industry, took over Trump’s EPA. 

This. A change of who sits in office is very important, but the message and masses are still out there. I study insurgencies as part of my job and have been doing this for a long time across the globe.
It needs to be remembered that those who create the vision and phycological justification for actions are more dangerous than those who commit them. To put it into the Jihadi experience (so those on the far right will understand), it is not the suicide bomber who is the most dangerous. Yes, you want to stop him, eliminate him, but the key is the person who radicalized them, convinced them to commit the act, and sat back and watched. That is who we need to ID and out. 

This is a very important post, and I appreciate you sharing it from your experience and viewpoint.

It is very, very important that as many people as possible realize that what we are dealing with here is a terrorist insurgency, in every sense of the word. It is a movement detached from reality, motivated by irrational religious fervor (Trump is God’s emissary in this iteration), and with many people willing to kill or die....and 10X that number willing to support the violent wing.

Timothy McVeigh wasn’t part of an army of millions...he was part of a small group, acting with the tacit support of a slightly larger group. And be murdered 168 people in an instant. We have many, many McVeighs that have been created in the past 4 years. One or more of them will act.

The US is under the greatest terrorism threat it has ever experienced. And millions of us not only deny that, but actively or passively support it, which multiplies the danger.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Loather said:

Let me guess.  What you are really pissed over is Twitter throwing Trump off of its private platform, and Parler being shown the door by Apple and Google.

I don't know what is more sad; the fact you are pissed over these things, or the fact you think both of those things are what is important.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

the key is the person who radicalized them, convinced them to commit the act, and sat back and watched. That is who we need to ID and out. 

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

ted cruz politics GIF

system guess GIF

Failure to take them down and remove their voice, and everyone like them on a national scale, will lead to further strengthening and eventually an overthrow of the government. The police already have many members in their ranks. This is getting dangerously close to being strong enough to overthrow the government if the police and military join in on their side in large enough numbers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Loather is verifying in real time how shallow the thinking of people like him are. 
they’ve decided that they are the majority, no room for discussion. Therefore, any space in which they do not have the majority opinion must be because they are being silenced. 

the truth is that they are not the majority by any measure, and that self selection rather than silencing is at play in most cases, including this thread. 

he may eventually catch enough negs to be crowd sourced, but that’s not being silenced because he will have said plenty in the meantime, and just like Lou sassle and fozz and others can simply register another username and continue on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Loather said:

First of all people are frightened because they have constructed a alternative reality. Hannity open his show yesterday with a bunch of quotes taken out of context and some the oldies but goodies by Hillary.  People are also frightened on the other side because they hear a Republican congress woman from Illinois comfortably quoting Hitler in public, one can only imagine what she says in private and people elected her into office.

So I consider myself fiscal conservative and social moderate. So these conservatives you talk about what do they stand for?

1. Lower Taxes?

Lets see they raised taxes by 6% on some small business making 50K or less in profit a year. I am sure there is a great many of those and probably create more jobs then the businesses that got the tax cuts so they could do stock buy backs.

2. Lower deficits?

Well anyone still claiming that side is just a joke because they blew past what Obama had done when the cut taxes that created no jobs and plenty of stock buy backs and a market frenzy for wall street but no real gains for main street especially after bugling covid.

3. Better Governance?

Lets see I voted for Bush 1 and Clinton had to get us out of recession. I voted for Bush 2 and Obama had to get us out of the worst recession since the great depression. People voted for Trump and now Biden is tasked with getting this country out from a terrible recession due to the bungling of covid and a state of insurrection.

4. Family values?

Evangelicals have sold their souls to one of the most immoral and corrupt President in history. Ann Coulter said that she did not care if Trump was performing abortions in the Oval office as long as he was getting all the brown people out of the country. They cheered putting children in cages and they danced inside the presidential tent as people prepared to storm the congress.

So please tell those of us that can't stand Defund the Police, Impeachments that are not going anywhere but also detest the open embrace of racism by Republicans what conservative values do Republicans still stand for when they vote for Representatives that openly quote Hitler and support the Q movement that is based on a Russian movement from the prior century that painted Jews as the people that ate children.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Loather said:

You are not a smart man.

Twitter is a private company.  They want want to be popular and make money.  But, they have rules to follow or they will have problems and not make money.  All decisions stem from that. 

A bureaucrat works at a bureau.  There are no bureaus at this private company, just CEOs, General Counsels, EVPs, SVPs, etc.

They care more about their wellbeing than the country or Trump.  The heat got too hot.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Loather said:

No one is being silenced.  Trump, Cruz, and Romney could all call a press conference right this second.  They can issue statements on their own websites.  They can talk to the media, OAN, or whoever.  Trump literally has a press office in his house.

You seem to want the government to force private entitles to print specific speech you like.  And to be clear, what you like right now is seditious speech.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Someone serve up the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus meme.  (I guess sheriff's in Oklahoma dress like it's Halloween or something.)

large960_blur-cd0d485c7200ab01d8d2368484

chris-west-sheriff.jpg

EL RENO — Canadian County Sheriff Chris West acknowledged Friday that he marched to the U.S. Capitol this week in support of President Donald Trump but said he was not involved in the rioting.

At a news conference Friday, he denounced those who broke into the U.S. Capitol Wednesday.

"What happened at the nation's Capitol, the crimes that were committed, the egregious crimes on our beacon and bastion of last hope for our nation, breaking in to that and terrorizing it, that's horrible," the Republican said.

"The fact that people died, the fact that law enforcement officers were assaulted on our nation's Capitol, that our congressional members and other people in our government were in fear for life, I rebuke all of that. Every bit of it. I vehemently rebuke it."

He spoke out as speculation grew on social media about the level of his involvement in the demonstrations Wednesday. He called the speculation "crazy talk" spread by those who don't like his politics.

The violence came after Trump spoke at a rally Wednesday and urged supporters to go to the Capitol.

There, a mob rioted, overwhelming Capitol police to force their way inside as lawmakers met to certify President-elect Joe Biden's Electoral College victory.

West drove to Washington, D.C., attended the rally and then walked to the Capitol. He said at the rally were hundreds of thousands of Americans who love freedom.

He didn't participate in the riot. He was just hanging out by the gallows to make sure Mike Pence got a fair trial.

• Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Do you believe that with respect to ISIS or Al Qaeda accounts calling on martyrs to attack the great Satan, and make America’s streets run red with the blood of the infidels, Twitter should 1) shut down those posts and accounts, or 2) leave them all up, so as not to “censor opposing viewpoints?”

Until you post your answer, you should bet nothing but neg rep.

That's the rub isn't it? Where do you draw the line? This has been debated long before the internet. I think the general consensus is the "Shouting Fire in a Crowded Theater" argument. I actually think Trump crossed this threshold with the events last week. But, they were censoring him before that, and now they are using the event to try to censor people they just don't agree with politicly, and censor millions of people on this Parler site. As far as your question about ISIS, I think it's disingenuous to make any comparison here, even comparing them to the idiots that stormed the capital is a stretch, but if we must, my personal opinion is that you censor even these extremist groups cautiously, only doing so when they are directly calling for violence, the right to free speech is just so important to our democracy that I think you have to tolerate some pretty questionable folks

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Loather said:

So, list some things you would like to do or say, but are unable due to political correctness.  Be specific. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So many educated scholars and journalists were sounding the alarm bells that Trump was quietly mobilizing a militant cult of fanatical racists to deploy when his power was threatened.

Nevertheless, they overwhelmed the halls of Congress on their first attempt. Chris Wray has to go once Biden takes over. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Loather said:

That's the rub isn't it? Where do you draw the line? This has been debated long before the internet. I think the general consensus is the "Shouting Fire in a Crowded Theater" argument. I actually think Trump crossed this threshold with the events last week. But, they were censoring him before that, and now they are using the event to try to censor people they just don't agree with politicly, and censor millions of people on this Parler site. As far as your question about ISIS, I think it's disingenuous to make any comparison here, even comparing them to the idiots that stormed the capital is a stretch, but if we must, my personal opinion is that you censor even these extremist groups cautiously, only doing so when they are directly calling for violence, the right to free speech is just so important to our democracy that I think you have to tolerate some pretty questionable folks

Tell us what you think you are censored from saying.

3 minutes ago, Loather said:

Que?

• Hook 'Em 1