The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

When I think of Pompeo, I maybe not so mistakenly think of some dumbass who died with his dick in his hand, self masturbatory designs for all to see in eternity.

Hits close to home. My biggest fear is my heart exploding during a whacksesh.

that and a snake swimming up the shitter and biting my nuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My husband thought W really just wanted to stay governor and be a baseball team owner, mostly the baseball team owner. That's the thing about families, sometimes they want you to be something and so you try and please them and after awhile you just don't know what else to do. I've seen it in all sorts of professions. Not just the 'tiger' parents and it has its plus side but the cost can be weighty on both a personal and greater level.

Yeah. He was a decent governor and played "bipartisan."  But there's no bi to partisan in Texas and the governor doesn't really do anything.

He ran for President because he had a good time as governor and wanted to prove himself to Poppy.  I think that latter is also why he failed to consult Poppy about his cabinet and staff and by listening to Rove got the worst people in the GHWB orbit.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Next time you get here to Texas I’ll tell you the story of the leopard frog in the deer camp toilet. I haven’t been able to piss well since.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My husband thought W really just wanted to stay governor and be a baseball team owner, mostly the baseball team owner. That's the thing about families, sometimes they want you to be something and so you try and please them and after awhile you just don't know what else to do. I've seen it in all sorts of professions. Not just the 'tiger' parents and it has its plus side but the cost can be weighty on both a personal and greater level.

He seems to have found his calling.

morehshin_allahyari-paintings_of_george_

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  Doesn't appear to be a widespread internal co-opting, as many did their jobs.  But a select few did not.  And leadership may have been co-opted.

Also sounds like maybe certain entrances were co-opted to let people in without a fight.

And they let them all out of the building without arrest. That was NOT being taken by surprise, and was NOT without approval from the leadership. The upper level of the Capitol Police participated in an attempt to overthrow the government.

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  Doesn't appear to be a widespread internal co-opting, as many did their jobs.  But a select few did not.  And leadership may have been co-opted.

Also sounds like maybe certain entrances were co-opted to let people in without a fight.

Yeah, I think multiple people at the leadership level conspired with Trump. A guy on the Lawfare podcast described it as three points of failure: 1) intelligence about the threat; 2) lack of contingency planning; and 3) a lack of a quick response force at the ready. Taken together, if the occurrence of these three failures were actually just failures, it's a monumental security fuckup that greatly exceed the intelligence and law enforcement failures of 9/11. This threat was known. They openly talked about their plans on Parler, the Donald, and other known sites and that shit was written about by numerous journalists at many different outlets. Hell, we knew about it. There's no way they didn't.  And yet they were under-equipped, with no contingencies and no response force at the ready. That's no accident. I think it's probably likely that a few uniformed officers were all too willing to let the mob in, but the compromise was at the top.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, I think multiple people at the leadership level conspired with Trump. A guy on the Lawfare podcast described it as three points of failure: 1) intelligence about the threat; 2) lack of contingency planning; and 3) a lack of a quick response force at the ready. Taken together, if the occurrence of these three failures were actually just failures, it's a monumental security fuckup that greatly exceed the intelligence and law enforcement failures of 9/11. This threat was known. They openly talked about their plans on Parler, the Donald, and other known sites and that shit was written about by numerous journalists at many different outlets. Hell, we knew about it. There's no way they didn't.  And yet they were under-equipped, with no contingencies and no response force at the ready. That's no accident. I think it's probably likely that a few uniformed officers were all too willing to let the mob in, but the compromise was at the top.

The Capitol Police had clear warning the rioters were coming through the Ardennes, and still they sent the majority of their mobile force off into Belgium.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

None of those points of failure explain the grotesque failure, hours after the shit started, to let everybody leave the building without arrest. Obviously the entirety of the Capitol Police was not in on this, but the organization was thoroughly compromised. It is hard to believe any other possibility.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Plus that speech. He knew they were going to be able to get in.

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Brown recluse-quiet and small. Those are the ones people miss.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Plus that speech. He knew they were going to be able to get in.

Brown recluse-quiet and small. Those are the ones people miss.

I am reminded of George Carlin's routine about one guy reading a book in the bar and another guy screaming "I'm gonna kill every motherfucker in here."  Which one are you gonna watch out for?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

None of those points of failure explain the grotesque failure, hours after the shit started, to let everybody leave the building without arrest. Obviously the entirety of the Capitol Police was not in on this, but the organization was thoroughly compromised. It is hard to believe any other possibility.

Obviously there’s a big need for intrusive investigation, but it’s worth considering that some people in positions of authority are really terrible at their jobs. Your instincts might be right that they can’t possibly be this terrible at their jobs, but it’s also possible that they’re actually that incompetent.

19 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Deliberate indifference if you will.

Since we now know that some did their jobs and resisted entry, that those same officers "gave up" and went away and didn't arrest anyone on the way out seems like something very deliberate from command.

I can't help but think that some of the leniency or abdication was promoted under the false pretense of "we aren't going to make the Floyd rally mistakes again."  Hell, maybe the whole force was told that as a sort of psy op.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Deliberate indifference if you will.

Since we now know that some did their jobs and resisted entry, that those same officers "gave up" and went away and didn't arrest anyone on the way out seems like something very deliberate from command.

Well a lot of those officers were hurt and were probably no longer on scene by the time that decision was made. 

The decision to let people go is the least problematic, I think. Hell, by that point I doubt it was Capitol Police's call, as DC had essentially taken over the scene. Every single person there will be identified (hell almost all of them made it painfully easy) and will be relatively easy to round up. Most of them will only get hit with shit like trespassing. They no longer posed an immediate threat. The more pressing concern is who was responsible for the lack of preparation and who was involved with delaying the deployment of the guard once it was requested. Those are the people who will enable something like this to happen again.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Well a lot of those officers were hurt and were probably no longer on scene by the time that decision was made. 

The decision to let people go is the least problematic, I think. Hell, by that point I doubt it was Capitol Police's call, as DC had essentially taken over the scene. Every single person there will be identified (hell almost all of them made it painfully easy) and will be relatively easy to round up. Most of them will only get hit with shit like trespassing. They no longer posed an immediate threat. The more pressing concern is who was responsible for the lack of preparation and who was involved with delaying the deployment of the guard once it was requested. Those are the people who will enable something like this to happen again.

Speaking of that, Jelani Cobb with a good take here. I'll spoiler most of it for those that want to skip:

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

"You ride with the outlaw, you die with the outlaw."- Gus McCrae

The other guys were fucking her, i just wanted to see what they were enjoying. I thought she was just really tired and that's why she wasn't moving. I had no idea she was drugged and underaged. She didn't produce an ID, you can't hold that against me.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I really think he could have been a good peacetime president. I think we would have had a meaningful bipartisan immigration reform bill and could have gotten a good bit down the road on healthcare reform.  He was maybe the person least equipped to handle something like 9/11 and had the worst possible staff in place to negotiate the aftermath for him. 

He was pushing a guest worker program, along with Ted Kennedy and John McCain (and Rick Perry and other border governors), to deal with illegal immigration - basically get them registered and known to the government, and paying taxes, etc.  So crazy that from that time (around 2006) and just 10 years later, elect somebody who swore not to let anybody in.

• Like 1

conference call last night:

Guy 1: So what did you guys in Ohio think of what happened at the Capital? 

Guy 2: We really didn't hear too much about it. What I did hear was it had something to do with ANTIFA and Italy was involved.

Me: Hold on. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Guy 2: I don't have cable, so I just go by what I hear.

• Rage+1 5

2 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

conference call last night:

Guy 1: So what did you guys in Ohio think of what happened at the Capital? 

Guy 2: We really didn't hear too much about it. What I did hear was it had something to do with ANTIFA and Italy was involved.

Me: Hold on. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Guy 2: I don't have cable, so I just go by what I hear.

Many people are saying....

It's astonishing how many politicians get used to carte blanche language and action, simply because the guy on top numbs the entire populace with his daily indiscretions.

How hard was it to predict that being a giant shitbag would eventually haunt one's self?  "Whoa, whoa, whoa, I didn't MEAN that, I just didn't make myself clear for the last 4 years!"

I don't know if it's worse that they try it, or that we buy it.  Well, that's not true, I do know what's worse, and it's shameful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Speaking of that, Jelani Cobb with a good take here. I'll spoiler most of it for those that want to skip:

Reveal hidden contents

While I'm certainly not dismissing this out of hand with how batshit the past 4 years have been, I have my doubts. He wants to play golf, find somewhere he can make the occasional TV appearance or Twitter equivalent, and get paid to do a really or two. He doesn't want to lead a guerilla resistance, or spend any time organizing and planning. If those groups want to do it in his name, sure, he wouldn't object, but he's not going to spend any time bumping shoulders with these people or risking directly attaching himself to a rebellion.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

While I'm certainly not dismissing this out of hand with how batshit the past 4 years have been, I have my doubts. He wants to play golf, find somewhere he can make the occasional TV appearance or Twitter equivalent, and get paid to do a really or two. He doesn't want to lead a guerilla resistance, or spend any time organizing and planning. If those groups want to do it in his name, sure, he wouldn't object, but he's not going to spend any time bumping shoulders with these people or risking directly attaching himself to a rebellion.

Did you watch or read the transcript of the entire rally speech that day? If not, please. Please read it. He is a madman.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, there is no way. He isn't a personal risk taker. Right now he is scared shitless. Once he isn't President and loses immunity, he will quiet down significantly. He ain't moving into a cave like Bin Laden or even holing himself up with a bunch of his followers while they are under siege from the FBI. Others will carry on, perhaps in his name, but he won't say a word about it and probably won't even give his endorsement any longer. 

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This isn't being presented clearly on the right. Friday morning KLBJ Austin said he sustained an injury but collapsed when he returned to his office, then died.  ~36 hours later I read here, he was hit with a fire hydrant...?!