The US Capitol has been Breached [News]

immamac

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Make no mistake, we would all be better off if those idiots stopped at the capitol and just looted stores around DC.

This is what you're wrong about. Non of it is good.

YOU PIECE OF SHIT THEY RIPPED OUT THE PANIC ALARMS FROM CONGRESSIONAL OFFICES. THEY WERE PLANNING THE PREMEDITATED MURDERS OF NUMEROUS MEMBERS OF CONGRESS. IT’S NOT FUCKING COMPARABLE TO LOOTING A GODDAMNED TARGET YOU WORTHLESS CUMSTAIN.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

YOU PIECE OF SHIT THEY RIPPED OUT THE PANIC ALARMS FROM CONGRESSIONAL OFFICES. THEY WERE PLANNING THE PREMEDITATED MURDERS OF NUMEROUS MEMBERS OF CONGRESS. IT’S NOT FUCKING COMPARABLE TO LOOTING A GODDAMNED TARGET YOU WORTHLESS CUMSTAIN.

You have it on capslock. I don't see how you think one is good and the other isnt? Hey, I've got an idea reread again. Just actually take the time and understand where I said one was more okay than the other.

Edited by workswithseed

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’d kill to have someone take my phone for 24 hours.

8 hours ago, Foosters said:

And ban me from twitter.

I recommend rehab even for the sober -- first thing you lose is your phone. A week in, you look up and are midway through the third book you've read without the internet as a distraction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, workswithseed said:

You have it on capslock. I don't see how you think one is good and the other isnt? Hey, I've got an idea reread again. Just actually take the time and understand where I said one was more okay than the other.

I haven’t heard a single person say one was ok and another wasn’t.  However,  these 2 events are not on the same level of magnitude, and trying  to argue they are, is just dishonest and inflammatory

why do you need to draw false equivalencies to distract from this?

• Like 8

So FBI and DHS says elements of ANTIFA and BLM are burning a police station, looting a CVS, and causing destruction to a federal courthouse.  And that it's domestic terrorism, needs to be fully investigated/prosecuted, and is a huge security risk.  Got it.  I agree.  Full stop.  

FBI and DHS says elements of MAGA and Proud Boys are raiding the Capitol in order to cause destruction, take hostages, and commit multiple murders of federally elected officials and their staff.  That it's domestic terrorism, needs to be fully investigated/prosecuted, and perhaps the largest national security risk we have faced since Pearl Harbor.  manydailytexanposters/ "Uh, I dunno guys.  This is just like that police station that got burned down last summer.  I think these are just patriots whose voices need to be heard.  They weren't gonna do anything except mess up some files on a desk in the Senate chamber."  

Everybody on here can fully debate like idiots that all this shit is the exact same, or pick which one is bad and which one is misunderstood or whatever else team-division y'all need to do this month.  I think most educated posters on here are, as usual for the last four years in this nation, caught in the middle......scratching our heads and thinking, 'What the fuck happened to my country?'  I vote R, I vote D, I vote a lot of L /noCR.  But what I don't like to do is vote stupid, and there's an awful lot of stupid on this thread.  People raided a federal courthouse.  That's horrible.  They should go to prison for decades.  Same with the arsonists of the police station. 

Rounding up for extrajudicial execution, multiple congressman and senators and their staffers.....the fucking FBI you couldn't suck off fast enough during the HRC email investigations said that may have been just minutes away from happening (same with the DHS who you cheered on last summer).  Have you simpletons any idea what chain of events that would have set off?  Any idea what happens next?  It's not a sedition, it's not a reinstallation of your preferred government for four more years, there's no high fives on OAN/Parler, it's not even a Civil War.  It's televised executions followed by the U.S. military storming the building and massive gun battle ensuing with hundreds, maybe thousands of Americans dead for all the world to see at the seat of our government.  You can put all the Make America Great Again flags you want on your truck.........our country would have never bounced back from that.  You couldn't walk back MAGA rioters murdering Congressmen who then open fire on U.S. Military personnel who then drop the hammer on private citizens and take out hundreds, maybe thousands to quell the executions.  For All for the world to see.  We would never be great again, we would be a global embarrassment and we'd be lucky to borrow money before 2030.  Nevermind the domestic implications.  All because of a raid on our Capitol that you equate to a police station.  /rant 

New news---have a meeting at our Capitol this morning in Austin.  I was told to arrive at least 30 minutes early for the security drill.  May as well be a fucking airport at this point with the delays.  Thanks a lot of you fucking morons.  What'd you think was gonna happen?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

So FBI and DHS says elements of ANTIFA and BLM are burning a police station, looting a CVS, and causing destruction to a federal courthouse.  And that it's domestic terrorism, needs to be fully investigated/prosecuted, and is a huge security risk.  Got it.  I agree.  Full stop.  

FBI and DHS says elements of MAGA and Proud Boys are raiding the Capitol in order to cause destruction, take hostages, and commit multiple murders of federally elected officials and their staff.  That it's domestic terrorism, needs to be fully investigated/prosecuted

Only people with an extreme political view would disagree with this, but here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You should also examine the stated desired outcomes of those groups:

BLM - police should stop murdering black people

Antifa - anti fascists, pretty self explanatory

MAGA - overturn a free and fair democratic election and kill the elected officials who disagree with us

Not seeing much equivocation or overlap on those things. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

But the point remains that a small fraction of both BLM and Antifa, while I agree with their ideology, went about the expression of those ideologies in illegal, violent, and reprehensible fashion.  not all, but some.  MAGA did it as well and in my opinion, what they did was much, much worse.  I think 95% of us agree on that, so we really can just put that issue to bed and focus on what's coming between today and next Wednesday, more violence as Impeachment debate is under way, then Senate trial, then Inauguration.  Our own Capitol in Austin looks like fucking Venezuela right now---only whiter...and fatter.  

In a cruel twist of fate, the MAGA rioters are going to face stiffer penalties than any other group in the long run because of what my 1L Contracts teacher once said to our class.  "You kill somebody in this country and get 30 years...you'll be out in 15.  But you commit tax fraud and get 30 years...you'll do every day of it because you messed with the system."  You can fuck around with a Duane Reade or even a police station and you'll do a short stint......you storm the U.S. Capitol and make even one Congressman fear for their lives...you'll get 20 years and you'll do every single day of it.  Just as the Nazis hanged boys that refused to serve in the Wermacht during the Soviet Invasion of the Fatherland as a warning to the others...so too will the MAGA brethren rot in federal prison in the worst conditions possible to serve as a warning...no matter who is in charge of government...they always have their boots on our throats.  The families of these guys being rounded up as we type this don't even know how fucked they are.  they'll be living on public aide before the year is out.  

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Pence declined to invoke the 25th, so congress is moving forward with impeachment. A few R’s have said they will vote for it.

Also, the FBI has opened 160 cases and is going to level charges including sedition.

Source: WSJ

Woah. Is news allowed on this thread?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:
12 hours ago, immortal13 said:
Sorry you are so triggered, bro. Try smoking a little weed. 

Smoking weed is illegal, which according to your logic and equivocation means you're just as bad as the people who stormed the Capitol.

Ok cool. Thanks for the tip, Brad

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Premeditated planning!!! Lulz

14 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

no shit. The fact that you are completely unaware of the spectrum of “not good” where looting is an 8 while storming the capitol, terrorizing our national congressmen and murdering a federal officer is a 12

Having a fever is Not Good and having full blown AIDS is also Not Good so they are therefore exactly the same amount of Not Good. 

You should also examine the stated desired outcomes of those groups:
BLM - police should stop murdering black people
Antifa - anti fascists, pretty self explanatory
MAGA - overturn a free and fair democratic election and kill the elected officials who disagree with us
Not seeing much equivocation or overlap on those things. 

97c4cba9ed775c1bb8ec85555d529967.jpg
  • Haha 3

The vote is expected this afternoon. Several Republican lawmakers are on board, but it remains to be seen it’s enough to pass. D’s lost seats in the House in the last election.

McConnell has said he will not reconvene the Senate early to accept the impeachment article. They are scheduled to return on the 19th.

Source WSJ

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

There's already ample evidence a good deal of planning ahead went into this whole ordeal. If you're questioning that, I question both your sanity and your morality.

No dumbass, I'm not questioning that it was planned. I was making a joke about the redundancy of saying premeditated planning. You fucking cloak roomers are a bunch a weeping vaginas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Ali Alexander says 3 GOP lawmakers helped ‘Stop the Steal’ protest that turned into Capitol riot

“Stop the Steal” organizer Ali Alexander says three Republican lawmakers helped him put together the protest in Washington, D.C., that turned into a Capitol riot.

The Washington Post reports Alexander, a right-wing activist that has repeated President Donald Trump’s baseless claims of widespread election fraud, said in a since-deleted video on Periscope that Reps. Andy Biggs of Arizona, Mo Brooks of Alabama, and Paul A. Gosar of Arizona helped organize the Jan. 6 event during Congress’ vote to certify the Electoral College votes in favor of President-elect Joe Biden.

“We four schemed up of putting maximum pressure on Congress while they were voting,” Alexander said, adding that they planned to “change the hearts and the minds of Republicans who were in that body, hearing our loud roar from outside.”

The roar turned into a riot as pro-Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol building, leaving five people dead and forcing members of Congress to take refuge during the chaos.

Brooks denied knowing Alexander in a statement to the Washington Post, and refused to accept responsibility. Biggs and Gosar did not comment, but social media evidence and videos online suggest all three have links to Alexander: Gosar called Alexander a “true patriot” on Twitter and Trump retweeted a video by Alexander on Dec. 26 that included a message from Biggs referencing Brooks.

All three GOP lawmakers supported objecting to the Electoral College vote late last Wednesday, shortly after the siege ended.

Politico reports Alexander has been banned from Twitter and Facebook after allegedly helping incite violence.

“One of our organizers in one state said, ‘We’re nice patriots, we don’t throw bricks.’ I leaned over and I said, ‘Not yet. Not yet!’ Haven’t you read about a little tar-and-feathering? Those were second-degree burns!” Alexander said at a rally in December. “We’re going to convince them to not certify the vote on January 6 by marching hundreds of thousands, if not millions of patriots, to sit their butts in D.C. and close that city down, right? And if we have to explore options after that... ‘yet.’ Yet!”

“We will not go quietly. We’ll shut down this country if we have to,” he also said, later leading them in a chant of “1776.”

Alexander, also known as Ali Akbar, told Politico that he’s received death threats and said the Capitol riot was entirely separate from the vent he organized: “I fight for civil rights. I believe this election was stolen. I petitioned my government. I’m being punished for organizing millions of people.”

Alexander has a history of legal troubles, including previously pleading guilty to felony property theft n 2007 and felony credit card abuse in 2008, both in Texas. He worked for John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign and various political action committees, but has rose in recent years through his support of Trump. Donald Trump Jr. retweeted claims by Alexander that Vice President-elect is not “an American Black” since her father is from Jamaica and a month later he was invited to a social media summit at the White House.

news update:  They vote on articles to impeach today or tomorrow.  It passes and is sent over to Senate for trial preparation.  Mitch procedurally drags plus they don't officially have to reconvene until the 19th. More procedural drags.  Trump leaves office on the 20th.  Georgia Senators are seated on the 22nd.  Mitch claims his hands are tied after that and he can no longer protect his party's leader---Donald Trump.  Democrats now have cover to drop the incitement/insurrection charges because those are crimes by which to remove Trump from office and they wouldn't have a 2/3 vote even with the two new Georgia senators.  

Here's the kicker.  The second portion of the Impeachment is that Trump never be allowed to hold federal office ever again.  And that vote, only requires a simple majority.  50 votes + the Vice President (and/or a couple of defecting Republicans).  With just a few days delay, and a new simple Democrat Majority...the Master McConnell effectively rids his party of Donald Trump for 2024 and beyond. 

McConnell gets to look like he wasn't forcibly trying to remove Trump, maintains most of the base, he doesn't hamper but doesn't support what's going on under Pelosi's evil House Chamber, Trump is technically impeached a second time, but they avoid the embarrassment of being removed from office at least, and the cherry on top is McConnell doesn't have to swing a gavel but in that lack of gesture---he washes his party's hands of Donald Trump forever.  Pretty fucking genius actually.  He lives to run the Senate in 2022 again and hand-picks the candidate for POTUS in 2024.  And nobody murders Mike Pence on live TV which I think Mike would appreciate.  

13 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Is this what the Cloak Room is like?

It's pretty much an echo chamber of internet bad asses who in real life are most likely little pussies. Sometimes they like to venture out and fling shit elsewhere on Surly, especially when mods invite them by creating threads like this one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

How did the 5 people die? I know about the officer that was hit with the fire extinguisher, one other officer/guard had a stroke (I think), and the lady that was shot by the SS agent. I haven’t heard of what happened to the other two people.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

news update:  They vote on articles to impeach today or tomorrow.  It passes and is sent over to Senate for trial preparation.  Mitch procedurally drags plus they don't officially have to reconvene until the 19th. More procedural drags.  Trump leaves office on the 20th.  Georgia Senators are seated on the 22nd.  Mitch claims his hands are tied after that and he can no longer protect his party's leader---Donald Trump.  Democrats now have cover to drop the incitement/insurrection charges because those are crimes by which to remove Trump from office and they wouldn't have a 2/3 vote even with the two new Georgia senators.  

Here's the kicker.  The second portion of the Impeachment is that Trump never be allowed to hold federal office ever again.  And that vote, only requires a simple majority.  50 votes + the Vice President (and/or a couple of defecting Republicans).  With just a few days delay, and a new simple Democrat Majority...the Master McConnell effectively rids his party of Donald Trump for 2024 and beyond. 

McConnell gets to look like he wasn't forcibly trying to remove Trump, maintains most of the base, he doesn't hamper but doesn't support what's going on under Pelosi's evil House Chamber, Trump is technically impeached a second time, but they avoid the embarrassment of being removed from office at least, and the cherry on top is McConnell doesn't have to swing a gavel but in that lack of gesture---he washes his party's hands of Donald Trump forever.  Pretty fucking genius actually.  He lives to run the Senate in 2022 again and hand-picks the candidate for POTUS in 2024.  And nobody murders Mike Pence on live TV which I think Mike would appreciate.  

McConnell knows how to politic.  Thanks for the summation.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

How did the 5 people die? I know about the officer that was hit with the fire extinguisher, one other officer/guard had a stroke (I think), and the lady that was shot by the SS agent. I haven’t heard of what happened to the other two people.

Georgia woman had injuries from being crushed by the crowd I think..

ETA: actually trampled by crowd. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/08/woman-possibly-crushed-to-death-these-are-the-five-people-who-died-amid-pro-trump-riots/?sh=edea1bc737c6

Edited by drt
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'll see if I can find articles, but it was:

Capitol police officer bludgeoned to death by MAGA

Lady shot by Capitol police (turns out it was a plainclothes officer)

One man tazes himself in the balls and had a heart attack (no shit)

Someone had a stroke

One woman trampled to death while holding a "don't tread on me" flag

Edit: drt got the 5th

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hate said:

There was a second capitol police officer who was at the rally but not on duty, who apparently took his own life a day or 2 after the incident at the capitol, from what I gathered on the news

• Like 2

Just now, Captainant said:

I'll see if I can find articles, but it was:

Capitol police officer bludgeoned to death by MAGA

Lady shot by Capitol police (turns out it was a plainclothes officer)

One man taxes himself in the balls and had a heart attack (no shit)

Someone had a stroke

And I'm not sure of the 5th

The 5th was the woman who was trampled to death by the mob.

• Like 1

And don't forget, another Capitol Police Officer took his own life earlier this week, apparently out of remorse/guilt for not helping his fellow officers.  His blood falls into this event.  And then an insurrectional terrorist took his own life in Georgia earlier this week as well.  Perhaps out of fear of arrest.  I'd tie that to the Capitol Invasion as well.  

We're technically up to 7 dead, IMO, from this event.  And more to come.  1 or 2 of the people arrested will kill themselves before all is said and done (or suicide by cop) because of the decades long sentences in federal lockup that await them.  

Anyway, back to McConnell.  I got to hand it to the man.  He's going to jettison Trump from the GOP forever and look good doing it.  Not easy to pull off (double meaning).  

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And now for the finding out part of the fucking around. 

They are going hard in the paint - they have a large task force dedicated to it, and expect to arrest hundreds (I think I read they've already arrested over 50, and have 170 they are looking for, or maybe the 50 was a part of the 170).  They were talking about 20 years for some of the charges.

No surprise, the Capitol was covered in really good security cameras, so they apparently have clear footage of what everybody did, and they mentioned a lot of witnesses have info and/or those they have arrested are ratting out everybody they can.

And that's on top of the dumbasses who were documenting themselves on twitter/Facebook/etc. committing various crimes.

FBI said no-fly lists are in play, and given we are talking about felonies, it's going to be fun for these people when they get out of jail.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

FBI said no-fly lists are in play, and given we are talking about felonies, it's going to be fun for these people when they get out of jail.

It's gonna be real fun when, 20 years from now, one of these dipshits gets released from prison and tries to vote, by mail-in, with his ex-wife's address, for Eric Trump.  

Seriously, some of these people don't look they'll do well in federal prison.  Lot of nooses being made in unattached garages and backyard sheds right now before arraignment.