welcome back to the cloak room, surly conservatives

elfenix

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I’m looking forward to the shitbags that bailed a year or 2 ago coming back and bitching about Biden’s executive overreach, how’s he doesn’t respect the office, shots at Jill Biden(already happening) after we literally had a hooker as the First Lady for 4 years. Then of course my favorite “THE DEFICIT!!!!!” After Republicans spend their fucking asses off. Pieces of fucking shit

Trump being one of the worst presidents ever doesn't absolve Biden of being a neoliberal corporate clown.

• Fuck You 6

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck that.  They don't get to enjoy some of our finest public lands.  Kansas please. Put a fence around it.

Eh these fuckers like public lands all of sudden.  I nominate some bombing ranges or arty field exercise areas

Here we go what? Trump and his sycophants are a disgrace. That doesn't make Biden somehow great. I know this is hard for binary thinkers to process. 

Of course it doesn’t. Nobody on here is saying Biden is perfect. But anybody who equates Biden’s failings to Trump’s vapid, delusional, treacherous bullshit if a fucking idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Conservatives?  A lot of those have been here the whole time.  I think you mean seditious traitors and/or fascists.

It’s funny I have been finding a place to put this since this morning but I regret ever laughing and thinking Trump was funny. I didn’t do it for long but I still did it. I come here asking for mercy. A co worker who is pretty far left on things and I have become really good friends in the last 2 years and he told me a few weeks ago he really looks forward to being able to argue with me again when Republicans elect someone worth a shit. I think he is bored with me agreeing with him but also appreciative that I at least saw what a shit show he was. We still have some workers who swear by Trump and I will not discuss politics with them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fakebusiness said:

Here we go what? Trump and his sycophants are a disgrace. That doesn't make Biden somehow great. I know this is hard for binary thinkers to process. 

Why don’t we let Biden fuck up first and then start your bitching?

Edited by Clintonaldo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

"Everyone but me is a binary thinker!!! I'm an intellectual!!"

- huge brained sock account who thinks Sedition and Treason are the exact same things as being an old corporatist boomer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

A co worker who is pretty far left on things and I have become really good friends in the last 2 years and he told me a few weeks ago he really looks forward to being able to argue with me again when Republicans elect someone worth a shit. I think he is bored with me agreeing with him

That’s like me, as a POS sooner, having buddies all over this board.  I look forward to a competent coach on your sideline, so I can properly hate you assholes again.  

• Hook 'Em 3

“Great” is an entirely subjective adjective. But pretty much anyone is great compared to the bloated dingleberry that we’ve been dealing with for four years.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s like me, as a POS sooner, having buddies all over this board.  I look forward to a competent coach on your sideline, so I can properly hate you assholes again.  

Fuck you in advance.  Buddy. #4OTloss

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Do they not understand THEY are the traitors?

Well, the short answer is no, no they don't.

The long and (my stupid) wandering answer? They may not, but is this anything new?

In the spoiler because it's a soapbox and very rambling and doesn't answer the question directly at all.

Spoiler

History is full of people. (well duh) I don't know how common it is for writers/reporters to delve into old pictures in quite the way that the wonderful @Hornius Emeritusdoes with his account, or @Al Bundy's Napoleon Handwith posting bits from working class history, but when not doomscrolling, working, or posting on Surly, old photos are a treasure trove of people that make me ask questions. Where are they now? (obviously some are dead cause old photos are well, old) What do they think now, or of that snapshot moment in time? How have they changed? What are their takeaways?

Who gives a shit where these people are now and what they did then or do now? Well, like it or not, they're human (jury is still out on Ted Cruz, but the truth is out there) and no human is an island. We are born, live, and die and if no one cared for us at the moment of birth, that life would be pretty damn short, thus we have relationships. Good or bad, it is our destiny. So care. The late Maurice Sendak, author/illustrator of children's books was really really adept at understanding children and their psyche and how we grow into adults (functional or dysfunctional). Where The Wild Things Are is a book that has been around for years, but will always be compelling, partly because of its display of rage and helplessness (teaching while anger is scary to children, they can learn safe ways to express it) but one of my favorite of his books and one my children loved was Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters And A Prologue. If you haven't read it, the main character is a boy who doesn't care about anything. "I don't care," is his mantra and he says it to everyone. He's rude about it, too. The book (and it's a short picture book-the chapters are only one or two pages) continues with Pierre's attitude escalating and eventually he ends up getting eaten by a lion. He doesn't end up dead, though, and the lion stays for dinner and as the author writes: the moral of this story is: care. On the surface it's a book about  manners and respect, but it's more than that and Sendak, a man who lost innumerable family members to the Holocaust, knew that. He was haunted by it and it shaped his work. It's hard work to care, but we can model it, teach it and do it. It forms our relationships, caring. We say we can only care about so much. It's true. So, what are we going to spend our time on? Should we be 'forced' to care? Is it wrong if we don't? What happens at the intersection of Where the Wild Things Are (rage) and Pierre (caring)? I didn't swipe some of Hornius' old timey photos of Texas history, but I expect that a photo of a white settler and a photo of a member of the Comanche or Apache tribes might result in different reactions from people then and people now. Or maybe not. We are simple and yet complicated creatures. 

Did these people below care? I'm sure they did, but perhaps not at all about the same people and ideas. So, how do we handle that? I wish I knew.

This is from Boston during the time of school busing being used to integrate schools. The one on the right is smiling. Why? Or the woman shouting at the policemen. Was she afraid of her child being bussed? What was her attitude toward the policemen?

"Boston Busing Riots" Documentary - YouTube

Demonstrators shout at policemen who ask them to move on ...

Or these women, did they believe they were patriots? Where are they now? Where are their children and grandchildren?

'Segregation's Constant Gardeners': How White Women Kept ...

Or this fellow? Did he fight in the war? What is he doing these days?

Can Any War Be "Just"? Vietnam War in Rare Photos. | Big Think

Would he have shared a beer with this fellow? Would he now?

Amerasians | algebraworksblog LAUSD_Math

Where is this man today? Does he believe the election was stolen? Did he think things would be like this and it's okay?

Supporters of President Donald Trump listen as the victims of today's shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh are remembered in prayer...

This is from a vigil in St. Louis in 2018 after the deadly synagogue shooting in Pennsylvania.

Rabbi Shulamit Cenker of St. Louis, Mo., is comforted as words are spoken on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018 during an interfaith vigil against hate at the...

This young man with the 'wtf?' puzzled expression is from Kuwait and had moved to Boulder upon recommendations from friends. His pic accompanied an article about assaults on people of color, specifically if their appearance resembled someone who was from the Middle East. The photo is from over a decade ago, is he still in Colorado? What does he think of America, now?

Twenty-year-old Salaman Alfaresi told the Denver Post other Kuwaiti friends recommended Boulder to him. He said after only a week in Colorado he has...

Or, here where young people wait in line at the House Judiciary Committee briefing regarding the killing of Trayveon Martin by George Zimmerman. That was in 2012. The young woman with the pink tote, where is she now? What did she do this summer?

Young people wait in line to attend a House Judiciary Committee briefing about Trayvon Martin in the Rayburn House Office Building on Capitol Hill...

Is this woman's sign factual? If not, would she care? She was a member of a Patriot group in Arizona that was protesting at churches that lend aid to migrants. Where is she now?

Patriot Movement AZ Restricted From Protesting Churches ...

I was going somewhere with this, and completely stumbled off track, but even the existence of this thread--a call out for other people who frequent Surly but no longer post in the political forum shows that we talk around and talk around and never really listen and learn. And we seldom have. Just look at the pics.

If you made it through that, bless your heart. I swear I haven't been imbibing. Just a lot of sorrow over the world right now. It'll keep on turning, we made it to 2021, and that was looking like a meteor away from not happening.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Don't care about conservatives necessarily but Trumpies:

tom cruise GIF

i mean...most of the conservatives never left...GoLL, Brisket, Lobo, Wulaw, etc. 

somehow, somewhere, some jackhole decided conservative=Trump...and that could literally not be farther from the truth. 

Edited by mchookem

13 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Well, the short answer is no, no they don't.

The long and (my stupid) wandering answer? They may not, but is this anything new?

In the spoiler because it's a soapbox and very rambling and doesn't answer the question directly at all.

Hide contents

History is full of people. (well duh) I don't know how common it is for writers/reporters to delve into old pictures in quite the way that the wonderful @Hornius Emeritusdoes with his account, or @Al Bundy's Napoleon Handwith posting bits from working class history, but when not doomscrolling, working, or posting on Surly, old photos are a treasure trove of people that make me ask questions. Where are they now? (obviously some are dead cause old photos are well, old) What do they think now, or of that snapshot moment in time? How have they changed? What are their takeaways?

Who gives a shit where these people are now and what they did then or do now? Well, like it or not, they're human (jury is still out on Ted Cruz, but the truth is out there) and no human is an island. We are born, live, and die and if no one cared for us at the moment of birth, that life would be pretty damn short, thus we have relationships. Good or bad, it is our destiny. So care. The late Maurice Sendak, author/illustrator of children's books was really really adept at understanding children and their psyche and how we grow into adults (functional or dysfunctional). Where The Wild Things Are is a book that has been around for years, but will always be compelling, partly because of its display of rage and helplessness (teaching while anger is scary to children, they can learn safe ways to express it) but one of my favorite of his books and one my children loved was Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters And A Prologue. If you haven't read it, the main character is a boy who doesn't care about anything. "I don't care," is his mantra and he says it to everyone. He's rude about it, too. The book (and it's a short picture book-the chapters are only one or two pages) continues with Pierre's attitude escalating and eventually he ends up getting eaten by a lion. He doesn't end up dead, though, and the lion stays for dinner and as the author writes: the moral of this story is: care. On the surface it's a book about  manners and respect, but it's more than that and Sendak, a man who lost innumerable family members to the Holocaust, knew that. He was haunted by it and it shaped his work. It's hard work to care, but we can model it, teach it and do it. It forms our relationships, caring. We say we can only care about so much. It's true. So, what are we going to spend our time on? Should we be 'forced' to care? Is it wrong if we don't? What happens at the intersection of Where the Wild Things Are (rage) and Pierre (caring)? I didn't swipe some of Hornius' old timey photos of Texas history, but I expect that a photo of a white settler and a photo of a member of the Comanche or Apache tribes might result in different reactions from people then and people now. Or maybe not. We are simple and yet complicated creatures. 

Did these people below care? I'm sure they did, but perhaps not at all about the same people and ideas. So, how do we handle that? I wish I knew.

This is from Boston during the time of school busing being used to integrate schools. The one on the right is smiling. Why? Or the woman shouting at the policemen. Was she afraid of her child being bussed? What was her attitude toward the policemen?

"Boston Busing Riots" Documentary - YouTube

Demonstrators shout at policemen who ask them to move on ...

Or these women, did they believe they were patriots? Where are they now? Where are their children and grandchildren?

'Segregation's Constant Gardeners': How White Women Kept ...

Or this fellow? Did he fight in the war? What is he doing these days?

Can Any War Be "Just"? Vietnam War in Rare Photos. | Big Think

Would he have shared a beer with this fellow? Would he now?

Amerasians | algebraworksblog LAUSD_Math

Where is this man today? Does he believe the election was stolen? Did he think things would be like this and it's okay?

Supporters of President Donald Trump listen as the victims of today's shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh are remembered in prayer...

This is from a vigil in St. Louis in 2018 after the deadly synagogue shooting in Pennsylvania.

Rabbi Shulamit Cenker of St. Louis, Mo., is comforted as words are spoken on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018 during an interfaith vigil against hate at the...

This young man with the 'wtf?' puzzled expression is from Kuwait and had moved to Boulder upon recommendations from friends. His pic accompanied an article about assaults on people of color, specifically if their appearance resembled someone who was from the Middle East. The photo is from over a decade ago, is he still in Colorado? What does he think of America, now?

Twenty-year-old Salaman Alfaresi told the Denver Post other Kuwaiti friends recommended Boulder to him. He said after only a week in Colorado he has...

Or, here where young people wait in line at the House Judiciary Committee briefing regarding the killing of Trayveon Martin by George Zimmerman. That was in 2012. The young woman with the pink tote, where is she now? What did she do this summer?

Young people wait in line to attend a House Judiciary Committee briefing about Trayvon Martin in the Rayburn House Office Building on Capitol Hill...

Is this woman's sign factual? If not, would she care? She was a member of a Patriot group in Arizona that was protesting at churches that lend aid to migrants. Where is she now?

Patriot Movement AZ Restricted From Protesting Churches ...

I was going somewhere with this, and completely stumbled off track, but even the existence of this thread--a call out for other people who frequent Surly but no longer post in the political forum shows that we talk around and talk around and never really listen and learn. And we seldom have. Just look at the pics.

If you made it through that, bless your heart. I swear I haven't been imbibing. Just a lot of sorrow over the world right now. It'll keep on turning, we made it to 2021, and that was looking like a meteor away from not happening.

Great read @Mrs Whiggins.  Thank you.

Edited by washparkhorn

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm not sure why this is a put down.  Most of you would fuck your own face on the regular if you had the proper flexibility and thought you could give a decent blowjob.

In the immortal words of Andrew Dice Clay:

If I could suck my own dick, I'd never leave the house.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:51 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

It sucks that we have fallen so far that sooners feel sorry for us now.