The Shipleys Sell Out

Seasick Sailor

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The North Main location is the only one I go to. I drive past two others to get there. 

Correct. The Ella location does the unique cake donuts which are a nice change of pace. They reduce the price of donuts as the day goes on. I’ve heard you can get them for free right before close. I’ve never checked it out because I refuse to eat a donut after 12 pm. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This is a good practice. Even when you lower your expectations, it always disappoints. 

A couple, glazed donuts picked up after lunch.  Wrap in napkins and place in your cupholders.  The heat from a Texas afternoon sun will keep those bad boys ready for a 5 pm treat for the commute home.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

A couple, glazed donuts picked up after lunch.  Wrap in napkins and place in your cupholders.  The heat from a Texas afternoon sun will keep those bad boys ready for a 5 pm treat for the commute home.

340?cb=20130203080416

12 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Don't they use Earl Campbell sausage?  I know I have ordered the Big Earl w/cheese & jalapenos many times.

They sell the boudian kolache and the Big Earl at participating locations. I count 4 locations in Houston. This is out of several hundred locations.

The vast majority of locations are serving a hot dog with jalapenos and cheese. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The only good Shipley’s locations in Houston: North Main and Ella. That’s it. 

Lived near both at different points and have bought from many others. This is just a silly “foodie” kind of argument that has no merit. 

Also, the sickest I’ve ever been from food poisoning was after taking one bite of a chocolate filled from the one on Main. I knew something was off with that fucker and next thing I know, I can’t keep anything in me for 3 days and my kidneys were on fire and felt like they’d been hit with a sledgehammer. 

10 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Do you also keep gummy bears in your pocket all day?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They sell the boudian kolache and the Big Earl at participating locations. I count 4 locations in Houston. This is out of several hundred locations.

The vast majority of locations are serving a hot dog with jalapenos and cheese. 

I just assumed they were at all locations.  I only go to the one right across the freeway from me that I pass every morning on the way to drop my daughter off at school and they have them.  Every morning two glazed and a ham and cheese for her and two Big Earls for me

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 1/7/2021 at 2:22 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just assumed they were at all locations.  I only go to the one right across the freeway from me that I pass every morning on the way to drop my daughter off at school and they have them.  Every morning two glazed and a ham and cheese for her and two Big Earls for me

Holy shit.  That’s 1020 calories, 2358mg sodium, and 82g carbohydrates for you.  740 calories, 1082mg sodium, 79g carbohydrates for her.  To start the day. Every morning.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 3:03 PM, Fat Bastard said:

Shipleys kolaches are a  abomination misnamed breakfast treat, even if not remotely traditional Czech in style.  Their glazed donuts are phenomenal tho

FIFY

I tried the Big Earl and boudin kolaches yesterday. The boudin was dry and needed some hot sauce. The Big Earl was good, but kind of a unbalanced cheese/jalapeño/bread to sausage ratio. Still a really good “kolache”. 

I said it in the kolache thread, but River Oaks Donuts makes the best “kolache” in Houston. They buy their sausage from Prasek’s. It won’t make you forget about Hruska’s, but it’s good and inside The Loop. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I said it in the kolache thread, but River Oaks Donuts makes the best “kolache” in Houston. They buy their sausage from Prasek’s. It won’t make you forget about Hruska’s, but it’s good and inside The Loop. 

2nd, very good sausage rolls 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I tried the Big Earl and boudin kolaches yesterday. The boudin was dry and needed some hot sauce. The Big Earl was good, but kind of a unbalanced cheese/jalapeño/bread to sausage ratio. Still a really good “kolache”. 

Try Kolache Shoppe in the Heights. They make their brisket klobasniky with Pinkertons brisket. Also, they actually have real kolaches

Shipleys glazed donuts are amazing good.  My only complaint is having to train new locations when I open a new office or move.  I prefer mine glazed and then with chocolate icing.  I go in, explain what I am looking for and after awhile, they know me and will make 3 in the back and are usually still warm.  I cancel out all the sugar with a Diet Coke.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

That is some next level shit. Having a standing order at Shipley, end thread.

Well, we'll see about that when their new Austin investment group overlords really take charge.  That sounds like an inefficient process that will quickly get replaced with corn syrup and despair.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Houstonians' fascination with Shipley's just completely baffles me.  Absolutely nothing unique or interesting about a chain donut business.  Hell, there's one in San Marcos.

Austinites' with Texadelphia fascination in Houston locations

Edited by mycox
  • Haha 1