The Shipleys Sell Out

Seasick Sailor

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Houstonians' fascination with Shipley's just completely baffles me.  Absolutely nothing unique or interesting about a chain donut business.  Hell, there's one in San Marcos.

Contrary to popular Austinite belief, a restaurant does not have to be weird, to be good.  Frankly, most places that do that are trying to cover up shitty food.

• Like 1

Shipleys?  You're not getting your donuts made by some old Asian lady in a strip mall that is probably a front for organized crime?  If they have a sticky note identifying a minimum credit charge or yells at the old man in the back in her native language, shakes her head and gets back to your order.  Even better.  Don't forget the "free" glazed donut holes.  

Bunch of fancy bitches up in here.  

I do miss Welches in Austin.  Especially the one off 35th and Guadalupe.  Or was it 38th 1/2?

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Shipleys?  You're not getting your donuts made by some old Asian lady in a strip mall that is probably a front for organized crime?  If they have a sticky note identifying a minimum credit charge or yells at the old man in the back in her native language, shakes her head and gets back to your order.  Even better.  Don't forget the "free" glazed donut holes.  

I do miss Welches in Austin.  Especially the one off 35th and Guadalupe.  Or was it 38th 1/2?

Fairly certain you are speaking of Kens, glazed with a side of Herpes.  Hire better cleaning crews

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

We lived across the street from some Cambodians who owned "Bakery Donut" growing up. A couple times a year they'd come over with dozens of donuts and bear claws, which I'm guessing was a peace offering for making the street smell like fermented fish soup.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We lived across the street from some Cambodians who owned "Bakery Donut" growing up. A couple times a year they'd come over with dozens of donuts and bear claws, which I'm guessing was a peace offering for making the street smell like fermented fish soup.

Bring some apple fritters and a pot of coffee and we have ourselves a deal!

My favorite shop in Oak Ridge was Snowflake at Robinson Rd and I-45, owned by Korean immigrants.  Hard ass workers, great product, fair prices, and always a smile. The owner saw the wife and myself out in town one afternoon, and called out my name.  Every time I ever saw him before was in his baker's smock and cap... I teased him that I only recognized him if it was before 8AM.

Another shop opened almost exactly half way between my house and Snowflake...  I'd drive right past that sumbeech.

I'll take businesses like Snowflake Doughnuts any day over the alternative/ more chain-type places.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Money laundering.  Don’t even ask.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Bonus points if the name of the place is just "Donut"

• Hook 'Em 1

First off, Bay City, TX sucks. BUT, the Shipleys there had a great pig in a blanket with jalapenos. Best I've ever had. I think they use Holmes Sausage in them.

A few years ago, the Shipley's people told the owners they couldn't sell them any more because they weren't part of the franchise menu. So the owners said fuck you, dropped the franchise, and opened up under their own business just so they could keep selling those. 

Edited by tejas60

• 5 months later...
57 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This is one that might actually benefit from new ownership. They have been very inconsistent between locations for a good while and many of the stores could use an update. 

it is a widely different experience between some stores, though I cant say I've ever had a bad experience.  Some of them give off the 1970's small town coffee/doughnut shop vibe, and others a more modern day faceless breakfast to go factory.   What always stuck out to me, was at some locations the kolaches were the long skinny kind with basically dough wrapped around the meat, and others would be the full roll with sausage inside. Very different, both good, but different. 

I used to not be a shipleys fan. Ken’s on Guadalupe was my bomb in college. Then they went and fucked things up and last time I went (7 yrs ago?) they were terrible.

Anyway, I moved on and consider Shipleys a solid donut. I get them for my kids about once a month. The employees all know me (which is sad) and my order. Always includes a single glazed that is hot off the presses. Eat that mofo in the car on the way home.

I wish more places would use the dot sprinkles on their donuts instead of the lines. Dots are better.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:56 PM, Beau Vine said:

Grant Brisbee was going to Houston a couple of years ago to cover the WS.  On his twitter, he asked where in Houston he should eat.  I swear that 30% of the replies were telling him to go to Shipley's for breakfast.

Brisbee wrote one of the finest pieces about the Astros and the city of Houston I’ve ever read that year. He immediately became a favorite writer of mine.