Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

Colorado man arrested at the DC riots: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/17/capitol-riot-mointain-lion-hunter/

Part of his release was that he couldn't possess firearms awaiting trial. He posts a pic online of him killing a mountain lion. And it comes out that previous felony convictions in New Mexico from a while ago had also prevented him from owning fire arms. His profession is hunter and guide. He's finding out how Jan 6th is coming back to haunt him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Colorado man arrested at the DC riots: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/17/capitol-riot-mointain-lion-hunter/

Part of his release was that he couldn't possess firearms awaiting trial. He posts a pic online of him killing a mountain lion. And it comes out that previous felony convictions in New Mexico from a while ago had also prevented him from owning fire arms. His profession is hunter and guide. He's finding out how Jan 6th is coming back to haunt him.

Seinfeld Shame GIF

Today's New York Times' podcast discusses some of the difficulties in prosecuting the rioters. 

Prosecuting the Capitol Rioters

"Perhaps the most difficult part of the prosecution has been deciding which charges accurately describe an underlying crime that has no real precedent. While many of the 400 people charged are certain to plead guilty, others plan to fight. And without a legal guidepost, prosecutors have sometimes seemed to reach."

Interesting comparison to those protesters being prosecuted in Portland too...

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Today's New York Times' podcast discusses some of the difficulties in prosecuting the rioters. 

"Perhaps the most difficult part of the prosecution has been deciding which charges accurately describe an underlying crime that has no real precedent. While many of the 400 people charged are certain to plead guilty, others plan to fight. And without a legal guidepost, prosecutors have sometimes seemed to reach."

We should just line them up and shoot them all; it's the only way to be sure. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

The lack of precedent can be tough.  But the government has had no trouble prosecuting new crimes involving new felons involving new drugs, new cybercrimes, new currencies, new trafficking routes, new fraud schemes, new investment scams, etc.  I'm sure 7 DOJ employees can get their thinking caps on and come up with something that'll stick.  If these insurrectionists were black or muslim, the sentencing phase would be over, and the caselaw would already be on LexisNexis...print, not digital.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Finally we might get to the important criminals on Jan 6

Gee, did any of his staff maybe NOT tell him that quite a few of the Proud Boys and other RW groups were arrested at those protests? If I were a Democratic person on that commission, I would grab a few aides and have them start pulling some threads out of that because it may lead to some interesting people behind the scenes. People that Rep Thune may sit near at CPAC.

3 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

it ain't going to be cheap fighting those charges 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd bet all my money that the biggest Trumper I know is on the spectrum. I've known him since grade school, and he's crazy mechanically inclined and super awkward. He's also a recovering alcoholic who is now high on Jesus and a "pastor" at some shopping center church in a rural shit hole south of Ft Worth and an avid conspiracy enthusiast. I get exhausted just reading some of the crap he posts on social media. I can't imagine living in that head of his. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Chansley has Asperger’s just like Elon Musk has Asperger’s Syndrome. It’s not a defense against willfully participating in an insurrection.

Ive got aspergers and never rode the damn short bus and seemed to be able to see thru the Q and Trump bullshit ok. 

seems they are trying to blame ‘retardedness” and illicit sympathy rather than take responsibility for just following retarded ideas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I don't see it as an excuse, more like an explanation.  This "is" a nation of laws right?  They owe a debt to society.  Pretty obvious those rubes got used by the GQP.  At least now the feds have a database of people most likely to be egged on into violent insurrection.

TBH I have relatives with Aspergers and they are high functioning, albeit with a very specialized skillset.

w5HJ3fnkcDMG.gif

Edited by BearSchlong

7 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I don't see it as an excuse, more like an explanation.  This "is" a nation of laws right?  They owe a debt to society.  Pretty obvious those rubes got used by the GQP.  At least now the feds have a database of people most likely to be egged on into violent insurrection.

TBH I have relatives with Aspergers and they are high functioning, albeit with a very specialized skillset.

w5HJ3fnkcDMG.gif

About 80% of federal criminal defense work is mitigation of sentencing.  So, no, it's not a legal defense, but explains why it happened and why either it won't happen again, or can be mitigated by therapy, etc.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Ive got aspergers and never rode the damn short bus and seemed to be able to see thru the Q and Trump bullshit ok. 

seems they are trying to blame ‘retardedness” and illicit sympathy rather than take responsibility for just following retarded ideas.

i dont have aspergers but should have probably rode the short bus. definitely an alcoholic but was able not to storm the capital or vote for trump 🤪

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

You can be anywhere on the spectrum.  I don't think he has Asperger's but I definitely think a lot the Shaman and a lot of these people are mentally handicapped.  I don't mean anyone who voted for Trump but his most ardent supporters are often mentally handicapped.  The storming of the capitol was taking a Trump rally and getting the dumbest 1% of those people - imagine being the 1% at one of Trump's rallies.  Yikes. 

"These aren't bad people," lawyer should be reminded that regardless of mental challenges, taking a flagpole and beating someone about the head with it is not how one objects to election results with which they disagree. Nor is breaking a window to enter a restricted building.

So, I am sympathetic to some of the participant's life situations, but like @BearSchlongsays, they still need consequences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You can be anywhere on the spectrum.  I don't think he has Asperger's but I definitely think a lot the Shaman and a lot of these people are mentally handicapped.  I don't mean anyone who voted for Trump but his most ardent supporters are often mentally handicapped.  The storming of the capitol was taking a Trump rally and getting the dumbest 1% of those people - imagine being the 1% at one of Trump's rallies.  Yikes. 

The issue is discovering which ones are among that group and which ones were using that group as cover when they entered, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The issue is discovering which ones are among that group and which ones were using that group as cover when they entered, isn't it?

Not really, you charge them all.  Let the psychiatrists figure out the rest during a trial - maybe 1% of these are truly determined to be incompetent.  The rest are slow but not so slow as to justify these actions. 

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m no Dr. but I honestly do know a little something about autism and people on the spectrum should definitely be held to the same standard as everyone else.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Not really, you charge them all.  Let the psychiatrists figure out the rest during a trial - maybe 1% of these are truly determined to be incompetent.  The rest are slow but not so slow as to justify these actions. 

I'm referring to the Proud Boys and military types. Some of the entrants to the building knew exactly what to do. While I wouldn't call the Q Shaman fellow a 'tourist,' he was not specifically part of a group attempting to handcuff/kill members of Congress. He was in the moment and w/o a plan per se.

It worked for the Cathars.

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" (“Kill them all, the Lord will recognise His own")
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2021 at 12:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

Of relevance, Article 94 of the UCMJ:

If an active duty member of the US military took part in an attempt to overthrow or cause the destruction of our civil authority, then I fully and completely support that person being subject to the full force of Article 94.  I don't support the death penalty, but life in prison is fine with me.

It's horrific when civilians attempt to overthrow the government.

It's unforgivable when an active duty member of the military does so.  That is "bury him UNDER the jail" kind of shit.

Especially an officer 

ad8a7dca111b4e7c542872d31cc3ec6c40b0ce12

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you go back to the night of January 6th, there was no doubt from anyone that what we had just witnessed was historic and terrible.  You had some Republicans, like Lindsay Graham, throw their hands in the air and declare that they were through with Trump.  Others tried to blame Antifa/BLM.  But nobody tried to say what happened was no big deal.

The fact that "it was basically a tourist visit" and "nobody was actually in danger" is the apparent line of defense at this point is one of the most infuriating (and predictable) developments in recent political history.  Traitors, all around.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Maybe you have autism, but it didn't matter because you just didn't love America enough to go to the Capitol, and attack it.