Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

ErOwkvHXAAMCPE3?format=jpg&name=small

How is #2 not #3?

Oh my god that's such an alarming tone shift and then reshift.

"I am filing for divorce.

1. I am no longer attracted to you.
2. Aliens have taken over your body and your flesh vessel is nothing more than a conduit for the evil plans of Bloobor Zarbaz, the Intergalactic Emperor of Hellspace.
3. Your financial incompetence has lead us into bankruptcy."

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Huh, I didn't realize that the Orthodox team had filed paperwork with the League office to change their color scheme and uniform.  You learn something new around here every day.

Yeah, the ones in NYC especially.  They hate DeBlasio and Cuomo for the restrictions, feeling like them getting specifically called out for trying to have 10k person weddings and shit during COVID wasn't fair.  So they have protested and been pretty violent.  Not shocked that one showed up in Washington DC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/nyregion/orthodox-jews-nyc-coronavirus.html

that reminds me of the John Mulaney bit where he moves from the cushy 'burbs of NW Chicago to some gritty New York neighborhood when he was first coming up as a comic, and literally on the first day, some guy comes up to him and says, "Excuse me, I am homeless.  I am gay.  I have AIDS.  I am new in town."  Anyway, Mulaney was baffled for years about how the guy decided that day to put those things in that order.  

I think Christine Priola had the same dilemma the day she wrote that letter.  

Let's see, what do I want to tell district administration?

-I am not taking the vaccine

-I just stormed the U.S. Capitol illegally

-I am going to fight against global pedophilia rings 

-I am against union dues going for abortions 

Okay, how do I order these show them I mean business?  And oh yeah, I should close with talk of how much paperwork I still have to finish.  Maybe talk about many calls and meetings too?  Nah, too obvious.  Okay, let's type!

45 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

How about that

Putting this blurb from the article here:

Sanford’s attorney, Enrique Latoison, maintained during a court hearing Thursday in Philadelphia that his client, a married father of three, was not a part of any extremist groups and had not travelled to Washington that day with the idea of committing violence.

“He was a firefighter for 26 years without any issues,” he said. “He had no write-ups and did a great job as a firefighter. He never had an arrest in his life.”

Still, prosecutors told U.S. Magistrate Judge Henry S. Perkin that they discovered a Proud Boys T-shirt while conducting a raid on Sanford’s home earlier that morning.

Perkin ordered Sanford detained without bail pending his transfer to stand trial in Washington.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Putting this blurb from the article here:

Sanford’s attorney, Enrique Latoison, maintained during a court hearing Thursday in Philadelphia that his client, a married father of three, was not a part of any extremist groups and had not travelled to Washington that day with the idea of committing violence.

“He was a firefighter for 26 years without any issues,” he said. “He had no write-ups and did a great job as a firefighter. He never had an arrest in his life.”

Still, prosecutors told U.S. Magistrate Judge Henry S. Perkin that they discovered a Proud Boys T-shirt while conducting a raid on Sanford’s home earlier that morning.

Perkin ordered Sanford detained without bail pending his transfer to stand trial in Washington.

He doesn't seem very proud of the Proud Boys.

The Houston cop arrested is named Tam Pham, so I don't think we can chalk up as one on the forces who also burns crosses. That is unless Charlie is welcome in the modern day Klan. 

There is always a twist to these stories when they come out of Houston. Our biggest police scandal is a Black cop murdering White people, and here we have a Vietnamese MAGAteer. And he is not unusual in that regard -- the older folks in the Viet community have been all-in on Trump from the jump. 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The Houston cop arrested is named Tam Pham, so I don't think we can chalk up as one on the forces who also burns crosses. That is unless Charlie is welcome in the modern day Klan. 

There is always a twist to these stories when they come out of Houston. Our biggest police scandal is a Black cop murdering White people, and here we have a Vietnamese MAGAteer. And he is not unusual in that regard -- the older folks in the Viet community have been all-in on Trump from the jump. 

Asia has produced some real hall-of-fame fascists.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Oh....you think that Asians can't be racist AF.  How adorable.  I know a fair number of Vietnamese who are pretty damned racist, particularly against black folks but also against hispanics.

Of course, the irony is that among asians (as I understand it), Vietnamese are often treated as "bottom rung."  @Pescado_Rojo has an anecdote about fishing with a friend of Japanese extraction, and as they were discussing various asian foods or somesuch, PR mentioned the Vietnamese, and his friend spat "psssh.  Vietnamese -- asian n---ers."

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh....you think that Asians can't be racist AF.  How adorable.  I know a fair number of Vietnamese who are pretty damned racist, particularly against black folks but also against hispanics.

Of course, the irony is that among asians (as I understand it), Vietnamese are often treated as "bottom rung."  @Pescado_Rojo has an anecdote about fishing with a friend of Japanese extraction, and as they were discussing various asian foods or somesuch, PR mentioned the Vietnamese, and his friend spat "psssh.  Vietnamese -- asian n---ers."

No, I don't believe that and I never said that. I just said it would be unlikely for a Viet dude to be accepted in the KKK.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

No, I don't believe that and I never said that. I just said it would be unlikely for a Viet dude to be accepted in the KKK.

Klan?  Probably not?  Modern amalgamated nativist shitbags?  E.g., the Proud Boys and most PDs?  Absofuckinglutely.

43 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, the ones in NYC especially.  They hate DeBlasio and Cuomo for the restrictions, feeling like them getting specifically called out for trying to have 10k person weddings and shit during COVID wasn't fair.  So they have protested and been pretty violent.  Not shocked that one showed up in Washington DC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/nyregion/orthodox-jews-nyc-coronavirus.html

Plus, the anti vax community targeted them specifically as part of their growing disinfo campaign about seven to eight years ago and found fertile ground so that when the measles outbreak in the NY area happened several years ago, it made the adversarial/suspicious relationship between the Orthodox communities and the govt grow further apart instead of mending. The anti vaxxers are even better organized now because of it, so when COVID happened, it was going to be an issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yea, that's almost word for word what he said. I was kind of shocked.

Also, there is a strong MAGA contingent in the Vietnamese community, especially in coastal Texas and Louisiana.  David Chang covered it in one of his Netflix specials I believe. I graduated high school in 1988, so a lot of the Viet kids I graduated with came here as little kids, and I know for a fact the Viet community in SE Texas faced some pretty awful racism. Somehow these same kids, who saw their father's and uncle's shrimp boats burned to the waterline by the klan, had crosses burned in their yards, and were literally spit on by white kids in elementary and middle school...grew up to be MAGA. We had to kick two of them out of our graduating class FB group because they wouldn't stop posting MAGA shit to the group, despite the politics ban.   

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Klan?  Probably not?  Modern amalgamated nativist shitbags?  E.g., the Proud Boys and most PDs?  Absofuckinglutely.

Which kind of speaks to a source of concern for me. Yes, there is an out and out White supremacist element to this rabble, but there is also a kind of nascent big tent approach, a sort of Trumpian Bennetton Rainbow Coalition of Fascists. So long as they share a love of MAGA, even racism can be set aside. 

Again, for some but certainly not all of these shitbags. But yeah, we've taken in generations of refugees from failed right wing governments from Iran to Cuba to Vietnam and the right has brainwashed them into thinking even a corporate Dem like Biden is Ho Chi Minh or Castro. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Also, there is a strong MAGA contingent in the Vietnamese community, especially in coastal Texas and Louisiana.  David Chang covered it in one of his Netflix specials I believe. I graduated high school in 1988, so a lot of the Viet kids I graduated with came here as little kids, and I know for a fact the Viet community in SE Texas faced some pretty awful racism. Somehow these same kids, who saw their father's and uncle's shrimp boats burned to the waterline by the klan, had crosses burned in their yards, and were literally spit on by white kids in elementary and middle school...grew up to be MAGA. We had to kick two of them out of our graduating class FB group because they wouldn't stop posting MAGA shit to the group, despite the politics ban.   

You can see the same in basically any immigrant community. Some people just aren't capable of learning empathy.

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yeah, that transformation blew me away.  Because I lived in SETX when the Vietnamese immigrant wave arrived, and it was some of my first exposure to OPEN racism.  Remember fishing on the 1st street pier in Galveston, probably 1977-78 timeframe.  Recent Vietnamese immigrants (I mean, still wearing the conical hats out in the sun -- which plenty still do, actually -- I see 'em on the Freeport jetties, and they're awesome folks and now get along well with most everyone) would walk up and down the pier with 5 gallon buckets, asking you to give them your trash fish, in broken English.  And I heard more "gook" and "slant" than I'd ever heard, along with loud, open wishes that they'd have been fucking blown away in a rice paddy like they deserved.  My eyes bugged.....and the kids of those exact families are now MAGA nativist shitbags.  It's mind boggling.

4 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Icono is perrrr-sian. Like the cat. /Maz Jobrani

Given his well documented and lengthy history of being wrong about absolutely everything, ever, I wish he would come back on here and declare this the opening salvo of a glorious right wing revolution, because then I would be more confident that absolutely nothing of the sort will occur. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

At least among the baby boom and older generations I've been around, Asians are racist as fuck, with each nationality ranking how the others are beneath them.  And, they generally all rank the Vietnamese at the bottom.  I don't know about others, but the Chinese have an N-word epithet equivalent for Vietnamese.

1 minute ago, Tonesky said:

At least among the baby boom and older generations I've been around, Asians are racist as fuck, with each nationality ranking how the others are beneath them.  And, they generally all rank the Vietnamese at the bottom.  I don't know about others, but the Chinese have an N-word epithet equivalent for Vietnamese.

Vietnamese piss on the Cambodians, and one of the reasons many Vietnamese don't like Black people is they associate the color black with the Cambodians. 

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Vietnamese piss on the Cambodians, and one of the reasons many Vietnamese don't like Black people is they associate the color black with the Cambodians. 

The Vietnamese I grew up with weren't big fans of Laotians as well but I don't know the general consensus of the hierarchy.

Argh, this really irks me. But I find it a bit amusing at some of y'all shocked or somehow exposing how racist Asians can be. No shit, we're still human. What? Some of us don't play into your expectations of how Asians are supposed to act?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My adorably tiny and pretty former hairdresser who is Vietnamese used to call me sometimes just to talk. Kinda weird, I know. Gen X, she came over on a boat as a kid and had originally been settled in Plainview. Yikes. Anyway, out of the blue one day, she started spouting off all this utterly hateful bile about black people, used the n-word, the whole 9 yards. I was like "um....gotta go!" and wonder if she ever figured out why I never answered her calls again. /CSS

Just now, YChang said:

Argh, this really irks me. But I find it a bit amusing at some of y'all shocked or somehow exposing how racist Asians can be. No shit, we're still human. What? Some of us don't play into your expectations of how Asians are supposed to act?

Eh, sorry. But yeah, a lot of people with limited exposure to Asian Americans have a set of assumptions that don't square with the facts, including a general idea that the Vietnamese community, like many other American minority groups, mostly hates Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My money would've been on the Vietnamese not liking Blacks because too beaucoup? 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

My adorably tiny and pretty former hairdresser who is Vietnamese used to call me sometimes just to talk. Kinda weird, I know. Gen X, she came over on a boat as a kid and had originally been settled in Plainview. Yikes. Anyway, out of the blue one day, she started spouting off all this utterly hateful bile about black people, used the n-word, the whole 9 yards. I was like "um....gotta go!" and wonder if she ever figured out why I never answered her calls again. /CSS

I just remembered, she married a Chinese guy and yep, his family looked down on her as the Chinese generally do....she was unhappy about her married name because it translated into Vietnamese as "cattle grass."

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That I don't know. I do know the Vietnamese don't have a word for the color blue. It's just another shade of green to them. Or so I was told by a Vietnamese co-worker once. *themoreyouknowwhoosh

I read this article a couple of years back and think you might find it a fascinating validation of what you heard.

There's Evidence Humans Didn't Actually See Blue Until Modern Times

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Eh, sorry. But yeah, a lot of people with limited exposure to Asian Americans have a set of assumptions that don't square with the facts, including a general idea that the Vietnamese community, like many other American minority groups, mostly hates Trump. 

Since you seem to be in the know, what about the dry cleaning thing?

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

PR mentioned the Vietnamese, and his friend spat "psssh.  Vietnamese -- asian n---ers."

Naggers?

Side note: Do you have any idea how many Southpark Randy Marsh Gifs there are? I scrolled forever and still didn’t see the Wheel of Fortune gif.

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That I don't know. I do know the Vietnamese don't have a word for the color blue. It's just another shade of green to them. Or so I was told by a Vietnamese co-worker once. *themoreyouknowwhoosh

I guess they just blue themselves?