Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

They must love that the first three news stories that appear when you google their company's name are all about their former CTO committing sedition. 

BTW, according to his LI profile, he's was not only the CTO but a founder of the company, as well. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mgreenetd/

^

No kidding.  To watch each one of them thinking to themselves, "Well, I'm not as easily duped as that guy over there at least."  

And then one-by-one, as they exchange stories...each one realizing, "I've made a huge mistake" /GobBluth 

It'll be fun for some of them to have little playdate friends from that cell as they head off to federal prison.  

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

They get forgiveness when they (1) admit what they did was wrong and  (2) change.  Otherwise, forgiveness is futile.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times, fuck the peace signs

Load the chopper let it rain on you

Not a rioter, but fucked around and found out.

NEW YORK — Brendan Hunt, an enthusiastic Trump supporter who called for killing members of Congress days after the Jan. 6 insurrection, was found guilty Wednesday of making a death threat against elected officials.

It took the jury in his case about three hours to reach a verdict, finding that comments Hunt made in a disturbing video posted online two days after the U.S. Capitol riot amounted to a genuine threat to murder elected officials in Washington.

He faces up to 10 years in prison.

The jury also concluded that menacing social media posts Hunt made in 2020 — including one directed at Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), then the Senate minority leader, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) — did not rise to the level of criminality.

Trial opens for Trump supporter accused of threatening Democrats in case tied to Jan. 6 insurrection

Hunt, 37, was charged with one count of making a threat to assault and murder a United States official. He was arrested Jan. 19, a day before President Biden’s inauguration, after the FBI received a tip about his video, titled “KILL YOUR SENATORS: Slaughter them all.” The clip had been posted on BitChute, a hosting site popular with far-right conservatives, after the deadly riot in Washington.

The case centered on several disturbing social media posts and uploads that Hunt’s lawyers said were removed from the Internet before his arrest. The defense also argued that the elected officials he targeted were not aware of his comments at the time.

Hunt did not participate in the Capitol riot, nor did he contact their offices or tag the lawmakers’ social media accounts in any of his controversial posts, according to testimony and evidence.

“The fact that they didn’t see any of those posts because he aimed it at them, because he sent it to them, that’s reason to doubt,” Hunt’s attorney Leticia Olivera argued in summations.

Trump supporter argues alleged death threats against leading Democrats were fueled by pandemic boredom

Hunt’s prosecution in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn has been seen as a test of how far violent speech can go before it crosses a line into criminality. His lawyers argued that his comments, made from his Queens home, were constitutionally protected and that, while offensive, they were not legitimate threats.

Prosecutors said at the trial that Hunt’s remarks were specific. He offered detailed descriptions of how he wanted to end the lives of the people he claimed were complicit in “stealing” the election from former president Donald Trump. To support the case, the U.S. attorney’s office in Brooklyn offered evidence that appeared to illustrate Hunt’s deeply rooted racist, anti-Semitic and xenophobic beliefs.

Hunt took the witness stand in his defense Tuesday, telling the jury he was not to be taken seriously when he talked about gunning down elected officials. In his testimony, he said his comments were in line with “this sort of rhetoric going on at the time” on the Internet.

Hunt also said he was heavily using marijuana and alcohol while struggling with depression and boredom during the coronavirus pandemic. He told the jury that the video he posted online after the Capitol riot was filmed while he was under the influence.

U.S. District Court Judge Pamela Chen had instructed jurors that while “intoxication in itself is not a legal defense to a criminal charge,” evidence of inhibition by drugs or alcohol can be considered to determine “whether he had intent.”

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/28/politics/gop-precinct-chair-in-texas-arrested-in-us-capitol-riot/index.html

A Texas man arrested for storming the US Capitol and assaulting police officerson January 6 also serves as a Republican Party precinct chair and has been an election poll worker in north Texas.

Mark Middleton, 52, was appointed as the chair of Precinct 14 in Cooke County in December, just a month after the presidential election, according to Chris McNamara, chairman of the Cooke County Republican Party.

However, Middleton was not elected. He was appointed by a committee of local Republicans to fill the vacant precinct officer position.

Middleton is one of multiple rioters with local Republican Party ties. Derrick Evans, a former member of the West Virginia House of Delegates, and Jorge Riley, former secretary for the State Board of the California Republican Assembly, are among those who have faced criminal charges for participating in the riot. Both men resigned after the riot. 

Middleton and his wife, Jalise Middleton, were both arrested and face seven federal charges each. They have pleaded not guilty. Their attorney did not respond to a request for comment.

Middleton also worked as an election clerk in two recent Cooke County elections, according to Pam Harrison, the Cooke County clerk and elections administrator. Clerks are usually picked by the precinct election judge overseeing individual election sites.

Ice Hockey Hello GIF by NHL

29 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Bold strategy Cotton.

A gentle reminder that qualified immunity does have a raison d'etre.

Or, we could have a rational argument that that LEO should be subjected to scrutiny just like one who kills (a brown) person under less exigent circumstances.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A gentle reminder that qualified immunity does have a raison d'etre.

Or, we could have a rational argument that that LEO should be subjected to scrutiny just like one who kills (a brown) person under less exigent circumstances.

IMO in this case - the officer in question clearly did not violate any laws, so why not let the crazies have their day in court and lose? Cops certainly love to play the "you'll have your day in court" card against people complaining of a specious citation

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

IMO in this case - the officer in question clearly did not violate any laws, so why not let the crazies have their day in court and lose? Cops certainly love to play the "you'll have your day in court" card against people complaining of a specious citation

Well, just like any cop shooting, that's all more or less a question of intention and justification, both of which are evaluated by the trier of fact in the absence of qualified immunity.

Qualified immunity is not a completely wrong concept.  It has utility.  The Supremes that came up with it could have just extended full sovereign immunity to officers, which was the position urged by the cops and government in the case that created it.  It has certainly become corrupted in its application though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I still don't really know what an "incel" is.  But Sean David Watson?  That's just a guy screaming out to the world, "I do not have the sex very often.  Basically, never." 

Apparently he lives in Alpine.  Somehow I don't think his prison cell will remind him of the vast open spaces of Big Bend Country.  At least he'll be getting laid more. 

Good to see the feds continuing their arrests. Some of these people probably thought they were under the radar but then a knock came on the door.

I’m surprised that we haven’t seen an FBI call for people to turn themselves in for potential leniency depending on the circumstances. You might pull in some people that would have never been identified.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good to see the feds continuing their arrests. Some of these people probably thought they were under the radar but then a knock came on the door.

I’m surprised that we haven’t seen an FBI call for people to turn themselves in for potential leniency depending on the circumstances. You might pull in some people that would have never been identified.

Good point.  Maybe they've tried it on those message boards under dummy accounts.  Shit like, "My lawyer says if I just turn myself in now with no issues, I'll just get a slap on the wrist instead of federal prison time.  What do y'all think?  I got a kid graduating next year I wanna be around to see."  Surely there's a few MAQA folks dumb enough to fall for that.  

Or try one of those warrant round-ups where they all think they're getting a free cruise or some shit.  But anybody whose geo-tag puts them in the Capitol that day gets a Trump-looking email/text inviting them to a groundbreaking ceremony for his Presidential Library in Florida or D.C.  They have to pay their way there, but then room & board and VIP events are all comped by the Trump Family.  I bet you'd get a couple dozen dipshits show up.

That's funny that some of them are in 24-hour solitary.  And Trumpers are acting shocked.  Yeah, that's what we do when we incarcerate terrorists.  You don't let them all hang out together all day in the yard so they can scheme and plot.  

Well maybe not so much the actual confinement but funny that they didn't understand that's what they'd be subjected to.  It's always been a matter of course for the U.S....when you scoop up combatants off the battlefield (in this case, at our own seat of government)...whenever possible, you separate them out so they can't communicate with one another.  There are people sympathetic to the Proud Boys cause working inside these prisons (guards and staff), so you don't even really want the prisoners associating with anyone except four walls and the overwhelming fear of what's next.  

Were these Proud Boys on the bus ride to the jail chatting like Gene Wilder in "Stir Crazy"?  "Fellas, it won't be so bad.  I can work on my writing, we'll have each other.  We can probably get a 3on3 basketball game going" 

Well, just like any cop shooting, that's all more or less a question of intention and justification, both of which are evaluated by the trier of fact in the absence of qualified immunity.
Qualified immunity is not a completely wrong concept.  It has utility.  The Supremes that came up with it could have just extended full sovereign immunity to officers, which was the position urged by the cops and government in the case that created it.  It has certainly become corrupted in its application though.

We need congress and POTUS to codify qualified immunity in a less restrictive way. That totally judge made doctrine gutted 1983 actions. Assholes!
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 11:06 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

BTW, according to his LI profile, he's was not only the CTO but a founder of the company, as well. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mgreenetd/

You can't punish a tech guy by locking him inside a box. He likes that.

You wanna make him miserable, stick him outside, and force him to speak to strangers.

Guest Lobo

The United States of America's most losing franchise, 'The South', may be looking to forfeit the rest of the season after once again, making the playoffs looks statistically impossible?  Say it ain't so, Joe Dirt...say it ain't so.  

In just a few weeks, we will mark the 157th anniversary of the last major victory by the Rebels...the Battle of Cold Harbor.  A very lopsided win, indeed.  But league writers should note, cold harbor began a cold streak for the South.  Every few generations it seems, they need a stark reminder of their second class league status.  That they haven't relocated their franchise to Russia or North Korea bottles the mind.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:32 PM, Captainant said:

Lmao didn't realize that was the gomer from Alpine

he definitely looks the part of a limp-dick pseudo-fascist

"We didn't do anything other than being there.  We just walked around."  Followed by....

"I feel like I'm fighting for my country."  

Ask not what your country can do for you...  JFK would be so proud.  Fucking bozo.