The Cloak Room

HillaryFan420

People have always complained about the CR, but I believe until recently there has always been some small amount of productive discussion along with some variety in the viewpoints shared.  However, now i'm afraid it truly has become the unrelenting, hysterical circle-jerk of which it so often has been accused.  It is nigh impossible to post in the forum without sharing the pedestrian "socially liberal but economically conservative" viewpoint shared by the CR postariat.  To do so, irrespective of your own beliefs or positions, is to brand yourself a "fascist" or even a "Nazi supporter" resulting in your eventual crowd-source banning.  There is as much use reasoning with these people as there is reasoning with a stampede of feral hogs.

What is to be done with this place?  Why even allow negging in the CR when it's used wantonly to ban anyone with a different viewpoint, no matter what that viewpoint is?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

51 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

They are for the most part centrists so they would be to the left of Von Mises but to the right of the New Dealers and maybe even Nixon.  It's on "social issues" where their liberal streak shines.  

You think the CR is centrist? I'm not sure we're talking about the same board. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

If you don’t like what it’s become, why visit or post there? 

I refrained from visiting it for the most part but I'm interested in politics so it can be hard to stay away completely.  Even then, a handful of posts in a single thread that they interpret as not being supportive of their team can result in hundreds of negs.  Some of the more insane posters will even pull up your entire posting history so they can neg posts that have nothing to do with the topic that triggered them in the first place. 

As an example, arguing that we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of the handful of wingnuts who died at the Capitol the other day will get you neg bombed.  These people have some of the blandest politics imaginable but at the same time are viscously tribal and  monomaniacal in rooting out and exterminating the perceived enemy.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, HillaryFan420 said:

I refrained from visiting it for the most part but I'm interested in politics so it can be hard to stay away completely.  Even then, a handful of posts in a single thread that they interpret as not being supportive of their team can result in hundreds of negs.  Some of the more insane posters will even pull up your entire posting history so they can neg posts that have nothing to do with the topic that triggered them in the first place. 

As an example, arguing that we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of the handful of wingnuts who died at the Capitol the other day will get you neg bombed.  These people have some of the blandest politics imaginable but at the same time are viscously tribal and  monomaniacal in rooting out and exterminating the perceived enemy.  

Do some more both-sidesing so you can equate an armed insurrection with protests in the street. Go ahead, we'll wait.

• Hook 'Em 3

I didn't even know Fozz got crowdsourced. That's pretty lame. Some of his takes were stupid but he at least introduced some different opinions that could be good conversation starters.

I agree with the no negs in the CR proposal too.

But Fozz, your posts under this HillaryFan420 alias have been worthless as shit and low effort. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, capnamerca said:

Do some more both-sidesing so you can equate an armed insurrection with protests in the street. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Please show me where I did that.  I mainly argued that at no point was there ever a risk of our government being toppled or a civil war breaking out, even if a hostage situation were to arise.  This episode was about as threatening to our "democracy" as the shooting of Steve Scalise, which is to say it wasn't.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, cactusflinthead said:

laughter laughing GIF

I know that you're proud of how you and the others acted in that thread.  That doesn't surprise me at all.  There is an authoritarian streak in liberals as much as there is in conservatives, the difference being the identity of the out group.  

There is no great liberal contingent or conspiracy in CR - It's actually majority GOP or former GOP voters with the DEM contingent being a pretty clear minority. It follows very closely to the mix of Texas Politics.

What you are seeing is people who have brains, and balls call you out for stupid shit and neg you when you don't participate in any conversation that is based in fact or merit.

We have had MANY posters come in and actually get tons of pos rep for giving their views even though many people disagreed with them (especially in the days post election). 

If you go into CR and MAGA this and MAGA that and say that the election was stolen and then the supporting documentation you provide is a bunch of q anon conspiracy theory bullshit and nothing that is founded in fact then you are going to get flamed and negged.

I don't understand why this is hard to fucking understand.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

everyone on both sides hates bad_teammate and he still posts there

He at least substantiates his position rationally and methodically. People disagree with him on many issues, but he is actually one of the posters that I think has had a lot of influence in the CR about giving alternative viable vantage points on some key issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:10 PM, immamac said:

He at least substantiates his position rationally and methodically. People disagree with him on many issues, but he is actually one of the posters that I think has had a lot of influence in the CR about giving alternative viable vantage points on some key issues. 

The reason that BC has not been crowd sourced is because, although he differs from many of the posters in the CR, he is at heart a democrat.  For that reason he does not question or mock many of the CR shibboleths no matter how absurd they may be, such as the fatuous idea that Trump conspired with Putin during the 2016 election or that Trump is akin to Hitler or Mussolini in his authoritarianism.  If you question those things are you deemed to be a Trumper and thus must be crowd sourced no matter what your actual politics are.  Indeed, I was called a Nazi for arguing that we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of the idiot protestors who stormed the Capitol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, immamac said:

That's not true and you know it. 

These posts were made in response to my post below in the bottom link:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18467-the-us-capitol-has-been-breached-action-and-developing-stories/&do=findComment&comment=2951959

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18467-the-us-capitol-has-been-breached-action-and-developing-stories/&do=findComment&comment=2951993

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18467-the-us-capitol-has-been-breached-action-and-developing-stories/&do=findComment&comment=2951920

Within the CR, if you believe it's vile to make the morbid comments Chu made then you are a "Nazi supporter" who should be censored from the board.  It's one thing to throw that term around glibly on the internet as has always been done, but I don't see why posters should be banned for innocuous posts (certainly far less histrionic than calling random people on the internet Nazi supporters) because they are deemed to be in support of the wrong tribe even when that's not even what's going on.

I mainly argued that at no point was there ever a risk of our government being toppled or a civil war breaking out, even if a hostage situation were to arise.  This episode was about as threatening to our "democracy" as the shooting of Steve Scalise, which is to say it wasn't.  

Yes, allowing the sitting VP and the VP elect and the Speaker and Senate Majority Leader to be killed or taken hostage is a nothing burger.

By God, NOW I see the error of my thinking and why you are not a shitty poster deserving of your negs.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Yes, allowing the sitting VP and the VP elect and the Speaker and Senate Majority Leader to be killed or taken hostage is a nothing burger.

By God, NOW I see the error of my thinking and why you are not a shitty poster deserving of your negs.

giphy.gif

I said in the thread that the actions of the Capitol police were to blame for what happened. However, to pretend that some mob of dipshits without any prior planning were going to topple a global hegemon is so absurd that it’s difficult to even muster a response. You are the liberal equivalent of Q followers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

I said in the thread that the actions of the Capitol police were to blame for what happened. However, to pretend that some mob of dipshits without any prior planning were going to topple a global hegemon is so absurd that it’s difficult to even muster a response. You are the liberal equivalent of Q followers. 

The goal was to delay the certification and to force the electoral vote into the House, one state one vote, Trump prevailing. Also, Trump was not above declaring martial law if the shot arose. A captured Congressional leadership would suffice- no? A SCOTUS save is not a given. Saying that the crisis would not have ultimately led to a successful coup does not foreclose the possibility that there could be a coup attempt clothed in the Electoral College to the House vote scenario.

Focusing on the ultimate conclusion to that horrific possibility is seriously myopic. As are your claims of ‘no prior planning’ and the exclusive fault resting with the capital police. In any event, whether Trump ultimately prevailed is not the point.
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The goal was to delay the certification and to force the electoral vote into the House, one state one vote, Trump prevailing. Also, Trump was not above declaring martial law if the shot arose. A captured Congressional leadership would suffice- no? A SCOTUS save is not a given. Saying that the crisis would not have ultimately led to a successful coup does not foreclose the possibility that there could be a coup attempt clothed in the Electoral College to the House vote scenario.

Focusing on the ultimate conclusion to that horrific possibility is seriously myopic. As are your claims of ‘no prior planning’ and the exclusive fault resting with the capital police. In any event, whether Trump ultimately prevailed is not the point.

The rioters did delay certification but there was never any possibility of an electoral vote going to the House.  The plan to raise objections to the electoral slate also had no possibility of success and was PR to show they were trying to do something to support Trump.  McConnell quickly got tired of it and put his foot down that day regarding certification. 

This is all just fan fiction. The MAGA chuds on the right believe they are part of some valiant fight to stop the steal while the libtards on the “left” believe a fascist coup was nearly perpetrated.  None of its real and none of it matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The rioters did delay certification but there was never any possibility of an electoral vote going to the House.  The plan to raise objections to the electoral slate also had no possibility of success and was PR to show they were trying to do something to support Trump.  McConnell quickly got tired of it and put his foot down that day regarding certification. 

This is all just fan fiction. The MAGA chuds on the right believe they are part of some valiant fight to stop the steal while the libtards on the “left” believe a fascist coup was nearly perpetrated.  None of its real and none of it matters. 

You see things in black and white. Which limits your ability to think critically on the gray that is politics.

The GOP was willing to have an impeachment trial that prohibited the calling of witnesses and prohibited the production of exhibits, yet you think they would not participate in other chicanery if some gloss of legitimacy could be found to support it. OK.

Enjoy your victimhood in purgatory. It’s not you and your posting, just a coincidence.
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, immamac said:

There is no great liberal contingent or conspiracy in CR - It's actually majority GOP or former GOP voters with the DEM contingent being a pretty clear minority. It follows very closely to the mix of Texas Politics.

What you are seeing is people who have brains, and balls call you out for stupid shit and neg you when you don't participate in any conversation that is based in fact or merit.

We have had MANY posters come in and actually get tons of pos rep for giving their views even though many people disagreed with them (especially in the days post election). 

If you go into CR and MAGA this and MAGA that and say that the election was stolen and then the supporting documentation you provide is a bunch of q anon conspiracy theory bullshit and nothing that is founded in fact then you are going to get flamed and negged.

I don't understand why this is hard to fucking understand.

Maybe my meter is broken but this is sarcasm, right?  I'm not a republican or a democrat, but if that's your perception of the cloak room, you're just seeing what you want to see.  There's a reason it's generally referred to as a cesspool, hellhole, shit show, echo chamber, etc.  And it ain't because its a bunch of fair conversations based in fact or merit.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Maybe my meter is broken but this is sarcasm, right?  I'm not a republican or a democrat, but if that's your perception of the cloak room, you're just seeing what you want to see.  There's a reason it's generally referred to as a cesspool, hellhole, shit show, echo chamber, etc.  And it ain't because its a bunch of fair conversations based in fact or merit.

Yep. Just look at this past summer when the circle jerk, cabal, echo chamber was left alone to fight among themselves, and they had to invade the non political threads trying to gin up fights. It was hilarious to watch happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep. Just look at this past summer when the circle jerk, cabal, echo chamber was left alone to fight among themselves, and they had to invade the non political threads trying to gin up fights. It was hilarious to watch happen.

I forgot circle jerk and cabal.  SMFH

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Says the guy who talks shit about someone posting pics of their wife on the board when you could easily put them on ignore instead of talking shit about his wife? Literally fuck you and any opinions you have, you are a cancer to the community for the most part and your takes are garbage tier. I don't control what you post and don't care, but the cloak room is referred to as those things because politics in general is toxic, not because the way toxic topics get discussed is toxic. 

People take CR far more seriously than any other threads on the site (with the exception of some Derka basketball threads) - so they get more heated, more pointed and feel a lot more personal. 

Do people dogpile in the CR? Oh fuck yeah, the same way they do when football idiots post on the recruiting board. The same way when trolls come in talking nonsense on the football board. The difference is in CR everything is a hot take, because everyone who wants to participate in a discussion about politics is typically already highly emotionally invested (engaged) vs just reading for the lulz. 

CR has very few threads that are just for the lulz and the brand of humor while consistent with the rest of the site is used far less because typically the subject matter isn't amateur athletes, it's real public policy and events that can lead to life, death, prosperity, despair, etc. 

Was CR really fucking bad for a while due to it becoming an echo chamber of everyone agreeing, but just being pissed off? Absolutely, SEE THE DT COVID THREAD - it's the same effect, amplified. In the days, weeks and months post election people have stopped lobbying specifically against one candidate or side and have come back to discussing policy and issues. 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:05 AM, HillaryFan420 said:

This isn't speculation, there are videos of them searching out and calling for blood of these specific people. What the hell is wrong with you people? This isn't a fucking game where you can just wave your hands and say "lol they didn't mean it they were joking when they brought a gallows and tried to find mike pence and asked for him to hang" - There is now pretty clear evidence that leaders of the insurrection met at the Trump property in DC the night before. There is clear evidence of sitting members of congress giving tours to people who participated...if you want EVIDENCE, this is how you build a case. Not by spewing a bunch of bullshit and filing trash lawsuits that don't get accepted. There are HUNDREDS of cases being brought against participants of the insurrection, straight up with TONS of evidence. 

Like get the fuck out of here. You are actively desensitizing and normalizing violence and rhetoric against elected officials in America because it hurts your feelings? Here's a page out of the MAGA book, FUCK YOUR FEELINGS - this isn't about making you feel bad, this is about right and wrong, not in some philosophical sense, but in a very real tangible sense. We cannot allow "wrong" to become "right" as a society or we will see collapse of our country.

Were these people right to be pissed off? Should they feel the way they did? ABSO FUCKING LUTELY - it's just not acceptable to commit insurrection, sedition and plot to overturn the election because you didn't agree with it. A LOT of people whined very fucking loudly when Trump won, they didn't storm the Capitol and try to hang everyone during the EC vote, killing 5 in the process incited by Barack Obama. BARACK OBAMA KNEW WHAT TRUMP WAS AND STILL DIDNT CALL FOR THIS ACTION. Yet, Trump before the peaceful transition of power kept saying that Obama would delay the election, declare marshal law, and all kinds of bogus bullshit. You know what the democrats did? They cried, they felt bad, and then they said we will give this a shot. Then when shit was getting REALLY bad, they demonstrated peacefully for WEEKS ON END, with some fringe violence against private business (not excusable, absolutely disgusting and not okay). No one tried to execute politicians, no one tried to storm the fucking US CAPITOL WHILE CONGRESS WERE IN JOINT SESSION. Those are on 2 different fucking planes of severity. 

I'm on record thinking Joe Biden is a shitbag as well as many of the other "leftist" leaders. I'm also on record saying Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley need to be expelled from the Senate and John Cornyn is a pussy because he eats baked brisket. I don't say "both sides" I pick specific people who are fucking up and need to be held accountable and I don't actually give a shit what "team they are on". 

If you don't want to see cloak room there is an option to remove it by request from your surlyhorns experience entirely (you don't see it at all in any of the listings/topics etc) all you have to do is DM me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Says the guy who talks shit about someone posting pics of their wife on the board when you could easily put them on ignore instead of talking shit about his wife? Literally fuck you and any opinions you have, you are a cancer to the community for the most part and your takes are garbage tier. I don't control what you post and don't care, but the cloak room is referred to as those things because politics in general is toxic, not because the way toxic topics get discussed is toxic. 

People take CR far more seriously than any other threads on the site (with the exception of some Derka basketball threads) - so they get more heated, more pointed and feel a lot more personal. 

Do people dogpile in the CR? Oh fuck yeah, the same way they do when football idiots post on the recruiting board. The same way when trolls come in talking nonsense on the football board. The difference is in CR everything is a hot take, because everyone who wants to participate in a discussion about politics is typically already highly emotionally invested (engaged) vs just reading for the lulz. 

CR has very few threads that are just for the lulz and the brand of humor while consistent with the rest of the site is used far less because typically the subject matter isn't amateur athletes, it's real public policy and events that can lead to life, death, prosperity, despair, etc. 

Was CR really fucking bad for a while due to it becoming an echo chamber of everyone agreeing, but just being pissed off? Absolutely, SEE THE DT COVID THREAD - it's the same effect, amplified. In the days, weeks and months post election people have stopped lobbying specifically against one candidate or side and have come back to discussing policy and issues.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:28 AM, immamac said:

and John Cornyn is a pussy because he eats baked brisket.

Jews aren’t pussies. Of course, Cornyn isn’t Jewish.

“On brisket: "I think we learned something today: only Texansand Jews understand brisket."”

-Anthony Bourdain 

48 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Jews aren’t pussies. Of course, Cornyn isn’t Jewish.

“On brisket: "I think we learned something today: only Texansand Jews understand brisket."”

-Anthony Bourdain 

where the fuck do you find a 6 lb whole beef brisket?