Office Chairs

not the answer you're looking for but since I just went through this, from my research the clear bang for the buck winner in the "expensive office chair" category is the Steelcase Series 1 or Series 2, which comes in at just under $500. The contenders in that category are mostly Herman Miller Aeron, and then Steelcase Series X, Leap, and Gesture.

Might look at Wirecutter or some other lists of good less expensive chairs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would stay far away from anything that is covered in bonded leather. It will eventually peel and look terrible and make a mess. I have a similar chair from Costco and after a couple of years it has peeled like crazy.

As others have indicated in this thread I think it’s just time to spend the money. I don’t think wfh is ending any time soon. I can vouch for the Aeron chairs, we had them at my old company and they were awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, Celery Man said:

not the answer you're looking for but since I just went through this, from my research the clear bang for the buck winner in the "expensive office chair" category is the Steelcase Series 1 or Series 2, which comes in at just under $500. The contenders in that category are mostly Herman Miller Aeron, and then Steelcase Series X, Leap, and Gesture.

Might look at Wirecutter or some other lists of good less expensive chairs.

this, check on craigslist, there's office furniture resell places selling these things. If you're in Houston, Corporate Liquidators has a great selection. I got a herman miller steelcase leap from there and it's the best chair I've had.

Edited by Viper

On 1/13/2021 at 10:30 PM, markstanco said:

Spend as much as you can. I got fitted for one a few years ago, it was $2k and worth it. I spend a third of my day in it.

Please tell me more about this.  Where exactly does one get fitted for an office chair?  

Please tell me more about this.  Where exactly does one get fitted for an office chair?  
Ill check the tag on it tomorrow to see the manufacturer. From there you can find a vendor. It was constructed in canada, took about 6 weeks to arrive. You pick out the memory foam firmness, color of leather (duh), and adjustments you want. I think after freight and tax it was 22 or 2300. I could have spent up to 4k, but that model comes with a weekly blowjob i would hope.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 1/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, orange dream said:
Anybody bit the bullet on the X-Chair HMT?  Seeing the commercials has given me the wants

Also seems like it could possibly be priced at 3x what it should be.

Good point, they are dumping a TON on marketing. Somebody has to pay for those ads.

My birthday is coming up and I asked for this.  I'll post a review once it arrives.

16 hours ago, ERhine said:

https://relaxtheback.com/apps/store-locator

https://www.lifeformchairs.com/ - This is the brand I bought.  Their website isnt that good it seems.  Shows only basic models but at the RTB store I had infinite options. 

Edit: This is almost my exact chair, the brown in this photo is about a shade darker.  https://relaxtheback.com/products/lifeform-ultimate-mid-back-executive-office-chair?variant=14774508322875

Edited by markstanco
  • Hook 'Em 3

on the "chair sizing" topic, worth noting that the Aeron does come in different sizes.  I'm ~6' and 180, have a B, and I think it's right but a C would also have worked.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/product_literature/other/ap_sizefitref_classic_aeron_chairs.pdf

Also, because I feel bad that we never actually talked about anything but expensive office chairs, here's a good list with some cheaper options

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/cnn-underscored/best-office-chairs/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, Celery Man said:

on the "chair sizing" topic, worth noting that the Aeron does come in different sizes.  I'm ~6' and 180, have a B, and I think it's right but a C would also have worked.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/product_literature/other/ap_sizefitref_classic_aeron_chairs.pdf

Also, because I feel bad that we never actually talked about anything but expensive office chairs, here's a good list with some cheaper options

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/cnn-underscored/best-office-chairs/index.html

The poor people link has the Steelcase Series 1 as #1 and you seem to agree. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm probably going to go with it based on that. 400 seems it should keep me pretty comfortable for a whole day? 

I also need to get a Veridesk type thing so I can stand. Anybody know about those? I need just the converter that goes on my desk and the Veridesk looks like the favorite. 

To be clear, I have no actual experience with that chair. I had a Steelcase Think at work. It was a good chair. I had talked myself into getting the Series 1 or the Series 2 on the basis of cost and consistent "this is pretty much as good as their other more expensive chairs", and my wife talked me into getting the Aeron that was actually what I wanted.

We had a smallish house in Austin, we had one office area with a shitty chair that I already meant to upgrade, COVID hit, I ended up doing a lot of work from the couch over the coffee table and discovered that I am no longer 20. Nagging back problems where, at the worst, it was painful even walking. Wife even made me go to the doctor, who suggested I sit better, take three advil, and consider yoga. We moved (was STILL working from a dining chair for a month and a half in temporary housing). Now I have an office and a fancy chair and it doesn't give me blowjobs but I do feel very... correct and comfortable and my back is much better.

On the Aeron - I fidget a bit and would tend to rotate around, sit sideways, etc - whole shape and deal with the Aeron discourages that, which is probably actually good and the point and it's comfortable to do, and I can still rock and rotate. I wasn't sure if I'd like the whole mesh thing, but it is comfortable and cool/breezy. It's a bit underwhelming to spend a bunch of money on a chair (although of course you can probably find a secondhand one cheaper fairly easily) and it's just an office chair, but I'm fucking glad I have a proper chair. Steelcase Series 1 or 2 (which is fairly new) would probably have been fine for about half as much though.

• Like 1

I got this one from Office Depot a few months back:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/604924/WorkPro-1000-Series-Mesh-Mid-Back/

I've been happy with it. Similar ergonomics to the Steelcases and such. The only thing that's not adjustable is the seatback height, so you have to make sure that lumbar curve sits in your back right. I bought a memory foam seat cushion to prop me up a little more so the lumbar curve sat in my back better.

My bonded leather chair served it's purpose, but it looks like poverty.  I even use a cool background on zoom/teams meetings because it looks so shitty.

I too am looking for an Aeron or something better than what I've got.

I bought the flexspot standing desk conversion and it is awesome.  might not be as fancy or expensive as the veridesk, but it gets the job done.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0RHZAW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a nice steelecase that i lifted from my office when we went remote. If you are sitting a lot these are definitely an advantage. As someone posted above, there is a glut of open office space now and with it I'm sure people have cleared out their office furniture. I'd check office resellers in the closest large city and take a look.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 9:33 AM, orange dream said:

My birthday is coming up and I asked for this.  I'll post a review once it arrives.

Forgot about this.  I got the X-Chair HMT in late January.  I like it and it's comfortable.  Massage is good, heat is so so.  Probably a bit overpriced (1,200 - 1,300) but it seems like all chairs are.

The lumbar adjustment is a little bit strange in that it slides up a 5 point scale and locks in place at each point on the way up but when it reaches the top it releases and falls all the way back down to spot 1.  Often when I stand up that lumbar section catches on my butt as I'm standing (raising it all the way to the top so that it releases as falls back down to position 1) so I have to readjust it to the correct spot when I sit back down.  Not difficult but a little annoying.

Overall happy with it but I'd be happier if it had cost about half as much.

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

Anyone try a Steelcase Series 1?  Found a reseller/refurb for returned ones that has good prices and a good return policy.  Obviously the Leap and others are better but also approach $1k

I recently got a used one. Up thread a few posts. It's my first decent chair, but I'm very happy with it. I didn't realize what a difference a good chair could have. I have no problems sitting in it a lot of the day and I'm not much of a sitter.  

9 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I recently got a used one. Up thread a few posts. It's my first decent chair, but I'm very happy with it. I didn't realize what a difference a good chair could have. I have no problems sitting in it a lot of the day and I'm not much of a sitter.  

Awesome and yeah my bad, saw your reply above.  I ended up getting a Series 2 return from Crandall, $400 out the door and should arrive next week.  From what I’d read the chair back is a little taller, and has 4-way adjustable arm rests.  

My main criteria was <$500 and would last.  I had some super thin white leatherette thing from Amazon that my wife bought because it matched the white desk...it was pretty comfortable for a few hours at a time, but with most things Chinese it was let down by a one shitty component:  the wheels weren’t slotted into the base but instead spot-welded, and a wheel flew off when I had my feet up on my desk.  

It’s a theme with cheap Amazon crap...I have a solid, overbuilt, powerful tire inflator that’s all heavy duty hoses / 105C-rated power cord and steel housing yet the cheap plastic tip of the 12V socket broke within a year.  So figured I may not get the comfort of a $1k Leap but I wouldn’t need to buy another chair anytime soon. 

• 3 weeks later...