2021 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

That's awesome, I was spared from abortion too.

:highfive

I've been very fortunate to have never met a single person who was aborted. I'm grateful for being spared that awkwardness, as I honestly don't know what I'd say to someone in that situation

Najee Harris held a draft party at a homeless shelter:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/najee-harris-threw-nfl-draft-party-richmond-homeless-shelter

This is pretty awesome of him.

Harris threw draft party at Richmond homeless shelter

ay Area native Najee Harris might just be the best story in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The former Antioch High School star turned two-time national champion at Alabama was the No. 24 overall pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday night. But before the running back heard his name called, he went back to his roots.

Harris returned to the Greater Richmond Interfaith Program homeless shelter in Richmond, which served as his home for many years growing up. Along with his parents and four older siblings, Harris lived in a small room at the shelter in 2010 as his family struggled with homelessness. So, he sponsored a NFL draft party for the kids living there.

"It was really emotional for my mom," Harris said to KRON 4's Kylen Mills. "Almost as if she was crying in a way. We have a lot of memories here. That was a time in our life when we were really low at a point. It brought back a lot of memories of what we was going through at the time, for me too.

"When I walked up over there where I used to play, it brought back a lot of memories. ... It was an emotional thing for us. Just doing this really makes me and my family feel a lot more better and just giving appreciation and everything."

The draft party had pizza, chicken, football-themed decorations, cupcakes, and goodie bags for all. Harris made sure to spend time with a number of people there, taking pictures with families and workers. 

Edited by runthebone
added twitter
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That article is a decade old, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the trends largely held up.

LBs, interior OL, and safeties all trend well in a 1st round boom/bust analysis. RBs, QBs, WRs, and DL are all bad ideas. CBs, TEs and OTs are a mixed bag. 

Unsurprisingly in watching last night, I found myself raising my eyebrows at numerous DL, WR and QB picks. Frankly, it looked like a lot of reaching going on at CB too. I expect both DEs from Miami to be laughable failures. Not one of Smith, Chase, Waddle or the Florida dude is physically elite. The gap between any of them and guys still on the board isn’t dramatic, but hey, Heismans, national titles and SEC, so hooray. 

Interesting. I wonder if it is because those positions aren’t valued as much in the modern game, so only the truly elite at those positions get taken in the first round, whereas teams are more likely to reach and make mistakes when going after the higher impact positions like QB, OT, or DL. 

44 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The glass half full perspective on this is that the Big 12 really couldn't have done worse.  I'm not a sunshine pumper, but the other perspective is that the 2006 Big East is probably really embarrassed right now.  Ha!  Face! 

It took fifteen years for someone to suck that hard.  If someone sucks harder than us in less than fifteen years we win this thing.  The Big East in 2006 will be so owned by us.  I'm very optimistic about our prospects here.

I could give a shit who gets drafted from Iowa state or tcu. Time for us to have 2-5 first rounders a year and fuck the rest of the big 12 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Interesting. I wonder if it is because those positions aren’t valued as much in the modern game, so only the truly elite at those positions get taken in the first round, whereas teams are more likely to reach and make mistakes when going after the higher impact positions like QB, OT, or DL. 

I'm sure some of the smarter franchises have petabytes of data and analytics coursing through theories around how to draft and when. Seems like there have to be some advantages to be found going deep on it.

That said, yeah, I don't think the approach of "give me the absolute freak, can't miss type at a high risk position and if I can't get one of the those 1-5 guys in every 1st round, we'll hang in the middle to back of the round and happily take interior OL, LBs, safeties, and TEs every year." So if you can't get Trevor Lawrence or Kyle Pitts, fuck it. Trade back and gather as many 2nd-4th round picks plus the late 1st rounder as you like. Looking at this draft alone, at CB, there are multiple CB still on the board that are comparable or better than Farley and Stokes, at a minimum. Horn has two career picks and he's a top 10 guy? Okay. At WR, there are multiple guys still on the board with 1st round or solid 2nd round grades. Same for OL, same for DL. Many solid choices at TB. 

So, basically, drafting Trevor Lawrence or Kyle Pitts seems worth the risk. I won't be shocked if the other 4 QBs all bust. I won't be shocked if multiple WRs taken today have comparable careers to the 4 SEC guys taken between 5 and 20. 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I could give a shit who gets drafted from Iowa state or tcu. Time for us to have 2-5 first rounders a year and fuck the rest of the big 12 

This.  The embarassing part is we can't even win this dogshit conference with all the advantages we have.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

The glass half full perspective on this is that the Big 12 really couldn't have done worse.  I'm not a sunshine pumper, but the other perspective is that the 2006 Big East is probably really embarrassed right now.  Ha!  Face! 

It took fifteen years for someone to suck that hard.  If someone sucks harder than us in less than fifteen years we win this thing.  The Big East in 2006 will be so owned by us.  I'm very optimistic about our prospects here.

Only us and Oklahoma recruit well enough in to the point that there should be consistent firsts. So with us screwing up player development like clockwork and Oklahoma being young/only producing NFL caliber players at a handful of positions, that's what you get. 

Edited by Cardinal12

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

The Raiders are fucking joke

I was reading about this noise and it seems like they're all content with the pick.  I didn't know anything about Leatherwood.  Apparently they plan to move him inside.  He's graded super high as a run blocker and his only real flaws were giving up the edge on faster ends, but still not considered a necessarily poor pass blocker.  I still don't understand what the drama is about.

49 minutes ago, Cardinal12 said:

Pitt, as long as they invest in some OL, is just a great fit for him too. 

Couldn't agree more. He's a perfect fit. Move Snell to 2 they'll be good to go. Let's just hope Pitt gets some linemen today and tomorrow. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
TARS corrected me

5 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I was reading about this noise and it seems like they're all content with the pick.  I didn't know anything about Leatherwood.  Apparently they plan to move him inside.  He's graded super high as a run blocker and his only real flaws were giving up the edge on faster ends, but still not considered a necessarily poor pass blocker.  I still don't understand what the drama is about.

Other than it was another reach by the Raiders. 

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I hate State Penn more than 99.999999999% of the population but, I can see it as a good thing for Micah Parsons, and his mom, that he was not aborted.

I'm not sure why that is an issue. And what does Golic mean in his Tweet? Is he against the headline? Or, does he wish Parsons was aborted? 

That said, good for him getting out of Harrisburg, one of the most disgustingly horribly run state capitals you will ever see.

Seriously?

Hint: Golic, and his son, went to Notre Dame.  The one college where they still kinda have anti-abortion sentiment on campus.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Other than it was another reach by the Raiders. 

Probably. I don't know if it was because that was the guy they liked and didn't think he'd come back around. I have no idea about their order on other rounds. But I think they did this last year. And obviously there was talk about people being fired over this. Maybe it was the haircut who got pissed off.

10 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Seriously?

Hint: Golic, and his son, went to Notre Dame.  The one college where they still kinda have anti-abortion sentiment on campus.

Yeah, seriously. He should have expounded. It would have been pretty easy with just a few more characters.

Yes, everyone knows they went to Notre Dame. He’ll remind you if you have forgotten, as will Golic Sr.

In addition to our guys, also rooting for this player to get selected tonite as well.

Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks (NCAA Division III). 6’3”; 320 lbs.

I am sure he’s been mentioned before here but I am too lazy or small brained to find or remember if he has.

He really stood out at the Reese’s Senior Bowl (only Division III player to be invited).  he broke his hand during senior bowl week and begged for the opportunity to play (no exaggeration). 

He has the ability to play all 3 interior spots but they asked him for the Senior Bowl to play Center—something he’d never played at Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Like I mentioned he really stood out. He was a warrior in that game. I think he will be one of those great stories that actually succeeds. He won’t be a wasted pick IMO. 

Was trying to find some good clips of his work during the Senior Bowl. NFL network just talked him up. Had forgotten his name. Just remembered him being badass during the Senior Bowl.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What do they do tonight? Two rounds? And then the rest tomorrow?

Tony Stewart's All Star Sprint Series was rained out tonight so I don't have anything planned now. Might as well watch the draft.

Rounds 2 and 3 (picks 33-105 I think 🤔)

7 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

with less time on the clock for each team this is actually not so bad. 

Day 2 has double the draft picks with same amount of time , and still a ton of good players that can really help an NFL roster immediately.

Probably my favorite day of the NFL DRAFT...

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Day 2 has double the draft picks with same amount of time , and still a ton of good players that can really help an NFL roster immediately.

Probably my favorite day of the NFL DRAFT...

Concur. Day 1 drags the fuck on, and last night was even worse with Goodell spewing his shit every pick.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

OK, everybody involved has apparently spelt "Manziel" incorrectly, right?

How big of a bust was he, though? He fell to the later part of round 1. Teams passed on him because they knew he was not going to amount to a lot. At least not enough to spend a 1st rd pick. But of course, the Browns were the ones to take him. I think if Cleveland did not take him there, he could have fell out of the 1st rd. I get his hype coming out of college was high but he was not a premium pick.

• Like 1