2021 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

Bigger travesties in draft history.  He started one year?  Are his measurables elite compared to other safeties?

I wouldn’t say it’s a travesty and maybe our pro day numbers are bogus. Some guys are over drafted based on production or SEC pedigree. Some are merely projections. We seem to get no bumps on either front.

Sterns with his 40 time and vertical didn’t really get a bump based on those. Brown ran a 4.53 at 210. He had a 4.2 shuttle. He started parts of two seasons. Cosmi and Ossai seemingly graded well and produced yet all they did was fall from initial projections.

Size-wise and testing-wise Brown seems draftable. He played his best as a senior. His mentality is good for special teams work.

Even our drafted guys, ratings and then draft positions fall as time goes on. We need to change that trend.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a travesty and maybe our pro day numbers are bogus. Some guys are over drafted based on production or SEC pedigree. Some are merely projections. We seem to get no bumps on either front.

Sterns with his 40 time and vertical didn’t really get a bump based on those. Brown ran a 4.53 at 210. He had a 4.2 shuttle. He started parts of two seasons. Cosmi and Ossai seemingly graded well and produced yet all they did was fall from initial projections.

Size-wise and testing-wise Brown seems draftable. He played his best as a senior. His mentality is good for special teams work.

Even our drafted guys, ratings and then draft positions fall as time goes on. We need to change that trend.

Sterns looked awful his last two years.   

pooka Williams didn’t get drafted. Marvin Wilson, Dylan Moses etc.  

Hubbard and tylan wallace put up three spectacular seasons and they weren’t drafted until the fourth I think.  It happens

Edited by closetohumping

Sterns looked awful his last two years.   

pooka Williams didn’t get drafted. Marvin Wilson, Dylan Moses etc.  

Hubbard and tylan wallace put up three spectacular seasons and they weren’t drafted until the fourth I think.  It happens

I’d say generally Big 12 guys don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Hubbard didn’t have a good year in 2020. Wallace’s best year was 3 years ago. This year was his fewest TDS and yards per catch. He tested smaller and slower than Sterns.

Pooka opted out, is from Kansas and probably doesn’t profile well. But he’s probably worth a late round flyer.

Wilson had teammates drafted and his team wasn’t very good. Maybe he isn’t either. I don’t really know.

Moses didn’t participate in his pro day and has been severely injured.

It does happen you are correct. But I do not recall the last Horn to get picked really ahead of slot. Then guys like Ford and Roach being free agents when their production and some testing numbers said they were draftable.

Just now, Had Enough said:

I’d say generally Big 12 guys don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Hubbard didn’t have a good year in 2020. Wallace’s best year was 3 years ago. This year was his fewest TDS and yards per catch. He tested smaller and slower than Sterns.

Pooka opted out, is from Kansas and probably doesn’t profile well. But he’s probably worth a late round flyer.

Wilson had teammates drafted and his team wasn’t very good. Maybe he isn’t either. I don’t really know.

Moses didn’t participate in his pro day and has been severely injured.

It does happen you are correct. But I do not recall the last Horn to get picked really ahead of slot. Then guys like Ford and Roach being free agents when their production and some testing numbers said they were draftable.

Yeah, I think the SEC and Big 10 guys get the most benefit of the doubt, right or wrong.  Is there a bias?  Sure, but NFL GMs only care about winning.  I've seen some amazing testing numbers for first rounders, but even guys that don't get drafted.

As for ahead of slot among UT grads, hte guys we've been getting in the pros have been a mixed bag?  Some have been great, some have been soso.  We're not getting the benefit of the doubt, but do we deserve it, idk.

I see Chris Brown listed at 5'11'' 190, 4.55 forty.  I wouldn't say that's particularly rare among safeties in the NFL and I don't think he was absurdly good here.

Also, what's the deal with Dylan Moses? Didn't he think about entering the draft last year? Does he have injury issues? I was sure he and Marvin Wilson would have been drafted. Surprised at Baron Browning, too. 

From a little reading yesterday, he had surgery and one team took him off their board due to that. He missed time in 2019. In February he had surgery for a torn meniscus. That caused him to miss the Pro Day. But obviously it was concerning enough for many to take him off the board. But even injured he’s worth a risk in the late rounds.

Maybe it’s worse than thought. Could be part hype since he’s been known since about 12 or however old he was. He was pretty much just another guy from Bama, which of course means he’s an NFL caliber guy.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Chris Brown... woof. Not even an UDFA? Kwame Cavil’d himself

Very few players who have left early the past decade from Texas wouldnt have benefitted from another year in school

When did being at a school for five years become leaving early? 

Taquon Graham getting picked at all probably fits here?

Maybe. Taking 2020 combine numbers, he was tied for 6th in bench reps, which was 3rd for dline. His 40 time was two-tenths faster than one of those guys. His stats weren’t tremendous but 17.5 TFL in the past two years is not bad. His 40 time for a DT, but he is a little undersized.

Those numbers are similar for 2018 and 2019 combines too. The 40 time could be bogus, but the bench reps should be legit.

Seven DL from the 2020 combine had better vertical jumps. He outweighed them by 30 pounds. And you’d think vertical scores would be legit too.

So you may be right, but on paper that late rate pick/free agent projection seems to undervalue him.

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Extremely doubtful for both. Overshown would have to have an unbelievable year to be a first round pick. Jamison would need about 12 picks. 

Overshown seems like a day 2 unless he can get to 235lbs and not lose speed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...