RIP Tommy Lasorda

elfenix

Met Tommy a couple of times.  A Dodger through and through to the end.  Enjoy Blue Heaven, my man.  RIP.

And in LA, you don't need to add "Lasorda" for people to immediately know who you're talking about.  Tommy is all that's needed.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Never a Dodgers fan (except when the swept the asshole A's in '88), but always liked Lasorda.  RIP, Tommy.  

Gotta give the guy credit, he looked the exact same for the last 30 years.  How many of us can say that?  Sure it wasn't a great look, but he hung tough.  

Damn...I loved those Dodgers growing up.  San Antonio had a AA affiliate of the Dodgers so Tommy would be in SA a couple of times a year after he retired from managing to see the prospects.  I always liked him even though I grew to really hate the Dodgers and pretty much all things LA over the years. RIP to a legend. 

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

One of the coolest things I did as a kid was sit in Santo Domingo and watch Licey vs. Escogido on a gorgeous evening. Next to me was Tommy Lasorda. He spent the whole game talking to me about the game and what the managers were doing, etc. Bought me a coke and he sat there having a cold Presidente. Afterwards we went to eat with Manny Mota. I was in school with Meta's daughter. 

Fast forward a few years and I went to visit a Dominican friend while he was at Spring Training in Vero Beach. I walk with Pedro onto the field and Tommy sees me. Come straight over and asks me to go help a pitcher warm up with soft toss. Just genuine kindness, a true love for the game, and the father of modern Dominican Baseball. 

RIP Tommy. Glad I got to meet you. 

/thread

3 minutes ago, pops said:

/thread

Son gave me my Three Kings present today. Authentic Aguilas jersey. With the news about Tommy sure made me tear up a bit. My son loves baseball. 22 and we still watch as many games a year as we can. Did Cooperstown in 2019 and he grew up as a Red Sox fan loving the dodgers. 

Wish I had a Presidente to toast both of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Son gave me my Three Kings present today. Authentic Aguilas jersey. With the news about Tommy sure made me tear up a bit. My son loves baseball. 22 and we still watch as many games a year as we can. Did Cooperstown in 2019 and he grew up as a Red Sox fan loving the dodgers. 

Wish I had a Presidente to toast both of them.

My dad is a lifelong dodgers fan. Saw Koufax pitch at Chavez in the 63 series as a kid. Blue will always hold a special place in my heart even if they aren't my team. Awesome experiences for you! 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

growing up as a kid in Houston I was required to hate the guy, but damn it he was entertaining. RiP Tommy

mike scott's 2 hitter, shut out of the dodgers one week after lasorda said the Astros was only 'renting' first place was pretty damn nice

RiP Tommy 

• Hook 'Em 1

2004 Home Run Derby at Enron Field in Houston. Section 119/120. Sat right across the aisle from him for the whole event. At first I just looked over and thought, “Hey, that’s Tommy Lasorta sitting there. Let’s watch some home runs.” Throughout the night though, the number of MLB insiders (not random fans like myself) who came over to say Hi to him was unreal. Non-stop. It’s like he was the fucking Pope. I didn’t say anything to him all night, because, you know, fuck the Dodgers.... but still, it was impressive to see who did. Baseball royalty for sure. 

Separately, HR Derby was actually pretty awesome in person. Better than I expected. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

mike scott's 2 hitter, shut out of the dodgers one week after lasorda said the Astros was only 'renting' first place was pretty damn nice

RiP Tommy 

You see the banner they hung in center field for him in the Astrodome upper deck? Prehistoric  Surly, was a sheet with the outline of a giant dodger blue cock that said “Rent This”

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 11:05 AM, InkaUtexas said:

One of the coolest things I did as a kid was sit in Santo Domingo and watch Licey vs. Escogido on a gorgeous evening. Next to me was Tommy Lasorda. He spent the whole game talking to me about the game and what the managers were doing, etc. Bought me a coke and he sat there having a cold Presidente. Afterwards we went to eat with Manny Mota. I was in school with Meta's daughter. 

Fast forward a few years and I went to visit a Dominican friend while he was at Spring Training in Vero Beach. I walk with Pedro onto the field and Tommy sees me. Come straight over and asks me to go help a pitcher warm up with soft toss. Just genuine kindness, a true love for the game, and the father of modern Dominican Baseball. 

RIP Tommy. Glad I got to meet you. 

Jesus. What a story.