Biden Legislation - What do you hope to see in 2021?

Orale

DC statehood. Republicans use their power at every stop, why democrats have to have the moral high ground once in power is beyond me. Puerto Rico isn’t quite the slam dunk as DC to be reliably Dem, but put it forward. You have parties in order to have power, do it.

Anti corruption bill that requires President to provide taxes and all accounts for scrutiny. Let Warren put it together, I believe it was HB1 or HR1 last session. This shit can’t happen again.

Voting Rights Act that includes auto registration, requires mandatory early voting periods for all state, and no excuse absentee voting. Bring back requirement of places with shady history getting fed oversight. Felons can vote.

Expand Medicaid nationally. There’s only like 11 or 12 states who haven’t. That’s an easy win.

Present an option to buy into Medicare for anyone at any age under the minimum. Lower minimum Medicare age like he has talked about already.

Dreamers get citizenship, period.

Taco Truck on every corner Tuesday

Steak and BJ on First Friday of month

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

DC statehood. Republicans use their power at every stop, why democrats have to have the moral high ground once in power is beyond me. Puerto Rico isn’t quite the slam dunk as DC to be reliably Dem, but put it forward. You have parties in order to have power, do it.

Anti corruption bill that requires President to provide taxes and all accounts for scrutiny. Let Warren put it together, I believe it was HB1 or HR1 last session. This shit can’t happen again.

Voting Rights Act that includes auto registration, requires mandatory early voting periods for all state, and no excuse absentee voting. Bring back requirement of places with shady history getting fed oversight. Felons can vote.

Expand Medicaid nationally. There’s only like 11 or 12 states who haven’t. That’s an easy win.

Present an option to buy into Medicare for anyone at any age under the minimum. Lower minimum Medicare age like he has talked about already.

Dreamers get citizenship, period.

Taco Truck on every corner Tuesday

Steak and BJ on First Friday of month

Yes, all of this is good.  Especially those last two.

I want to see some Voting Rights stuff.
But first, some covid stuff (vaccine/stimulus/relief/aid to small businesses).  I'd like to see larger stimulus - I get that the point is stimulus spending, as in we go out and buy shit and help the economy, and that was helpful back in the Spring (the latest round felt like a ploy to win Georgia), especially with people being laid off or losing hours, or stores being hurt.  
But I think we need targeted (and larger) aid - I would think the IRS would have last year's tax data to be able to determine who needs it the most, and direct the larger checks to those folks.  There's a shit-ton of folks who didn't lost jobs, weren't too severely impacted, but who would still get said stimulus checks, and they shouldn't.  Of course, they will bitch and many will vote, so they wouldn't be left out, which is frustrating, but I just wonder how many billions went to folks who didn't need it.
Then again, a fuck-ton of people in this country have very little savings and a shitload of debt, so...

I like this. Well thought out. Lots of pretty extreme expectations on this thread. Covid alone will occupy a significant portion of his first year. Covid and stimulus followed by voting rights is a good and attainable goal. Year two can have more focus on the nice-to-haves.

It would be great to see a national plan for dealing with COVID and a way to get the vaccine to people before it goes to waste.

The John Lewis Voting Rights Act. Push that one through and get everyone registered automatically. Felons who have done their time should be able to vote again in most circumstances. 

Come up with an actual roadmap to weaning us off of fossil fuels and since BIG OIL will fight such a plan, have the government put together a comprehensive funding plan that will retrain workers in this industry so they have skills in place for their new jobs if they wish to do so. This needs to have been done yesterday. 

The most important thing I want to see this administraton do though is making sure we are getting children in underserved neighborhoods a proper education. Just because you aren’t born on the high end of the socio-economic ladder does not mean your education should suffer. We can do so much better in this regard as a nation. We need to give teachers and students the tools they need to succeed all across the country. A child born in The Bronx, the West Dallas Projects or Compton deserves the same education that a child gets in Highland Park or an affluent area on Long Island. We should be ashamed of how we treat the youth of our country as a whole. We are absolutely preparing so many bright young minds to fail by how little we back them educationally as they grow up.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/8/2021 at 3:39 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Get rid of asset forfeiture. End the war on drugs.

We'll get more of the same crap that always come out of Washington though.

You've hit on a couple of things that have bipartisan support, criminal justice reform and drug laws.

Among the very few good things 45 did was make it harder for the GOP to claim the "law and order" mantle (btw the show needs to go away too) and some GOP congresspeople may vote for rational reform of criminal justice system. What I've heard about marijuana is that it's at least going to moved off Schedule I, which means researchers will at least be able to study it's effects in a systematic way. There's a lot of money in mj so you have a broad consensus with data from the states backing further legal use.

• Fuck You 1