2021 European soccer megathread

Jive Turkey

55 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

For Fuck's Sake, these people all suck. FIFA is dirty as fuck. UEFA is dirty as fuck. These ESL team leaders are dirty as fuck.

Fuck them all.

That just shows how badly the super friends fucked this up to make FIFA and UEFA look like the good guys.  How hard would it be to competently make a case for change and a case against UEFA that would have gotten the fans on your side?  

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3

Lol I’d expect Madrid to go full fuck you UEFA soon.

They tried to do the whole fair play while manc and PSG kept pulling more and more deals.

Against Perez’s wishes Zidane and company kept the checkbook closed. I’d expect a full galaticos push this summer so they have what he wants for the new stadium next year.

I’m glad the ESL failed but I fear what Perez is gonna do now that he’s pissed and UEFA.

But as long as Mbappe is still a Madridista by July, I guess I’m cool with it

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This thing feels like the implosion of the USFL 35 years ago.  Wonder if the same dipshits have their hands on this somehow

Except these were some of the biggest soccer clubs in the world and this failed because they wanted to lock out everyone else.

The USFL failed because it was an inferior product. When the USFL existed the NFL had 28 team and the USFL teams were not teams 29-46 in the football pecking order, I would say you probably had at least a dozen "bigger" college teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, WBT said:

They had to know the shitstorm that would come from the initial announcement and yet they all folded right away

As I said earlier, I really don't think they had any inkling of the backlash.

I truly think most people have no idea how amateurish these clubs are internally. Your average local Applebee's franchise is a significantly more professional operation.

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So, basically credit for killing Super Awesome League is the fact that Germany and France did NOT want to play nice and be in the same, albeit misguided, organization.

I think it's more because of the immediate outrage of all the fans, players, and managers in England. 

9 hours ago, naija said:

have to give English football fans credit. anything similar in America, fans just end up taking it up the behind and everyone gets acclimated to the new normal

They can't just pick up stakes and move an English football club. We don't have that same security over here. The best you can hope for is a make good expansion franchise if your old one gets pissy and leaves like the Charlotte Hornets, Cleveland Browns, and hopefully one day the Seattle Supersonics. 

3 hours ago, G650 said:

As I said earlier, I really don't think they had any inkling of the backlash.

I truly think most people have no idea how amateurish these clubs are internally. Your average local Applebee's franchise is a significantly more professional operation.

That seems to be the case, especially after reading the apology notes. Just a complete lack of awareness, which is quite stunning.

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i thought chelsea left first?

They were rumored first because of the big protest at Stamford Bridge but were the last EPL club to make an official statement that they were withdrawing. So different reports say they were the first or the last or somewhere in between.

The government is pressing ahead with a review of football’s structures including the possibility of fan ownership of England’s top clubs despite the rapid collapse of the European Super League.

The breakaway competition fell apart last night after all six English clubs involved said they were pulling out.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur ended their association with the league after an unrestrained backlash from fans, players, managers and politicians. Ed Woodward, the vice-chairman of Manchester United and one of the main architects of the project, resigned from the club.

Chelsea fans protest against breakaway league

Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, said that a “fan-led review” now being carried out by the Conservative former sports minister Tracey Crouch would consider a system in which fans were given the chance to buy a stake in their clubs — a rule already in place in the Bundesliga, Germany’s equivalent of the Premier League.

“The German clubs didn’t participate in this proposal,” Dowden told LBC radio. “One of the points that was made to me by fans when the prime minister and I met them yesterday was the fact that there was that financial stake. I think we should look at it.

“International investment in football has been a good thing. It has increased the quality of the game and the players and everything else. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have foreign investment, but I do think it is right that we look at how fans can have a stake in the game.”

Dowden also said a regulatory body was a possibility. “The fan-led review will look at this,” he said. “Clearly we have got to get a balance. I want the government to do as little as it has to do. The game is rightly self-governed, but I do think it is right that we look at governance questions like that, and that will not be off the table.”

Chelsea fans did not hold back before last night’s game against Brighton, which ended 0-0

GUY BELL/ALAMY

In a statement the European Super League said: “Given the current circumstances we shall reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always having in mind our goals of offering fans the best experience possible while enhancing solidarity payments for the entire football community.”

The league would have replaced the Uefa Champions League for the six clubs. They would have played other top European sides, including Barcelona, Atlético Madrid and Real Madrid, every year without having to qualify.

The clubs were surprised by the backlash. Boris Johnson had branded the league a “cartel” yesterday and pledged to do whatever it took to stop the plans, warning privately that football clubs had become the “playthings of bankers”.

He said last night: “The decision by Chelsea and Manchester City is ... absolutely the right one, and I commend them for it. I hope other clubs involved in the European Super League follow their lead.”

A thousand Chelsea fans had congregated outside Stamford Bridge before the club’s match against Brighton to protest. They held up placards reading, “Created by the poor, stolen by the rich”, and, “Fans, not consumers”, and chanted outside the stadium while surrounded by dozens of police officers.

The mood turned jubilant with the news that Chelsea was preparing to leave the league, and fans started singing: “We got our Chelsea back.” After Manchester City announced its withdrawal, they sprayed drinks and chanted: “We’ve saved football.”

The clubs had all signed written agreements to join the competition for 23 years and may now face penalities. The deal had included £3 billion from the US investment bank JP Morgan to be shared by the founding clubs.

Oliver Dowden on the European Super League collapse

“Now we’re facing the prospect of an independent regulator, a far-reaching review and God knows what else,” one club insider said. “Yes, it may be naive to say no one expected the reaction, but the fact is that is the truth.”

Yesterday Johnson had told the Premier League and the Football Association that he was prepared to deploy a “legislative bomb” to ensure they could expel the breakaway clubs from their competitions without fear of legal reprisals.

He said football was as important to British culture as the arts and lobbied Manchester United fans to enlist the support of Marcus Rashford, the England striker who forced government U-turns over free school meals.

Rashford subsequently posted a photo on Twitter including a quote from the celebrated former Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby: “Football is nothing without fans.”

Pep Guardiola of Manchester City was the first manager of the six to go public with criticism of the plans. “Sport is not a sport when the relationship between effort and success, and reward, does not exist,” he said. “It is not a sport if you can’t lose.”

Jordan Henderson of Liverpool called an emergency meeting with other Premier League captains to discuss the plans, as unrest mounted among the players.

Henderson and the England right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold were among a group of Liverpool players who declared last night: “We don’t like it and we don’t want it to happen. This is our collective position. Our commitment to this football club and its supporters is absolute and unconditional.”

Other football stars who came out against the plans included the Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne, Manchester United’s Luke Shaw and Sir Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool hero who remains a director of the club.

An executive at one of the first clubs to pull out told The Times last night: “We have listened to our fans. The reaction from them, from government, from media has been beyond any expectations and we recognise what the right thing is now to do.”

The prime minister was joined in his opposition to the Super League by his predecessors Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and Sir John Major. Blair chairs the international council of JP Morgan.

Aleksander Ceferin, the Uefa president, turned on the clubs’ leaders and called them “snakes and liars”, singling out Woodward and Andrea Agnelli, the Juventus chairman, for reneging on a pledge to stay in the Champions League.

Ceferin, who is godfather to Agnelli’s daughter, said: “They don’t know shit about solidarity. They spit in the face of football-lovers. We didn’t know we had snakes working close to us, but now we do.”

He appealed directly to the six English clubs involved in the league. “Gentlemen, you made a huge mistake. What matters is that there is still time to change your mind. Everyone makes mistakes.

“Come to your senses, not out of love for football — because I imagine some of you don’t have much of that — but out of respect for those who bleed themselves dry so that they can go to the stadium and support the team and want the dream to be kept alive.”

The leading clubs in England and Europe have been securing increasingly bigger shares of football’s revenues over the past 25 years (Martyn Ziegler writes).

The irony of the short-lived Super League is that its collapse may well have stopped the latest money-grab in its tracks.

The clubs are unlikely to face punitive action — the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, held out an olive branch yesterday, saying: “What matters is that there is still time to change your mind. Everyone makes mistakes in life.”

However Europe’s top clubs have now given up their place at the table. The 12 Super League clubs have resigned en masse from the European Club Association, the body that has an agreement with Uefa, the European governing body, to have an input on its competitions and the distribution of their revenues.

Only five years ago those big clubs forced Uefa to allocate prize money partly based on a club’s historical record in Europe: the more trophies a club had, the more money they would get. They had their eyes on even greater prizes for the new-look Champions League that will come into being in 2024.

The biggest teams wanted a virtual guarantee of being included, even if they narrowly missed out on qualification, and they got that. They were pushing hard, too, for control over the revenue, but Uefa resisted, which effectively led to the Super League.

Now those top clubs, so powerful for so many years, are in a much weaker position than they were before. They now know that they cannot ride roughshod over their fans; they know that governments will intervene if they feel the balance of the national game is being threatened; they know, too, that Uefa can say “enough is enough” and win.

These clowns...

It really is absurd that this all comes down to the biggest clubs wanting more money and that the main issue for all clubs is that they are terribly managed so they want something to save them from themselves. Run your clubs correctly and there wouldn't be any issues.

And yeah, as a Manchester City fine I totally get the angst about the FFP violations resulting in no penalties. As I said at the time, City cheated and should have paid but I was unsurprised that they didn't. I only said it's not a moral issue for me if a club's owners are willing to lose money in order to create a better team. Hell, American sports fans dream of having owners who are willing to do that for their favorite teams.

The system was fine as it was before. If you lose money hand over fist your club essentially goes bankrupt, is deducted a shit ton of points, and you are basically kicked down a level or more and have to sell off assets and start over. That's the real world risk that's taken, but I do understand the desire to protect a club's fans from having to deal with that. There's definitely a deeper connection between clubs and their supporters over there so I get it. I just think FFP needs to be improved and then actually enforced (sounds like the NCAA). Teams should be allowed to borrow a reasonable amount of debt in an effort to improve. Disallowing any debt accumulation at all is simply a disguised effort to keep the smaller clubs down in perpetuity.

And I also have no issue with an owner throwing a shit ton of personal funds into the club's operation. That should be allowed in order to keep the books black, however it should have limits. Basically any deficits that are covered by owner cash infusions must be single year only (signing bonuses, transfer fees, completely covered capital investments, etc.) but teams shouldn't be allowed to sign up for long term debt with a promise of future infusions. Basically if a club's owner wants to pay a 100 million transfer fee for a great player that's fine, but the player's annual salary on a multi-year deal must be covered by team revenue. In that situation the owner's cash infusion has actually helped the team's financial position because they now have an extremely valuable asset which could be sold (future transfer fee) if the club got in financial trouble.

If that's the way it already works then great, but that's not how I understand it.

i think the finances are messed up.   if you don't spend, you can't win, and if you don't win, you don't get the big bucks you needs to spend to win.  so you spend, but if you don't win, you are then in the red.   that, and 15-20% of the players on sides that spend big are earning money for their national teams, confederations, and fifa, for 15-20% of their careers, and that's "unnatural" even in the context of competitive jeopardy.

i hope they keep going with the financial review in england.  parliament has to lead the way, and with brexit they are positioned to do so and set the precedent for the continent to adopt, whatever that is, without dealing with brussels.  madrid and barca have to be brought in line with barn and pool financially, and chelsea and city have to be run as for-profit businesses rather than the situation at psg, where the qataris bought canal+ which bought psg which sold it's tv rights to canal+.....  this is standard oil / jay gould territory and is unsustainable.

the current system is not just fine.

but i am elated this golden generation for the nats remains on schedule.

• Hook 'Em 1