2021 European soccer megathread

Jive Turkey

Insisting that they are run every single year as a for profit business is antithetical to the entire "for the fans!" movement. What's wrong with an ownership group being willing to lose money to bring the fans championships? Especially if it's set up so that the cash infusions don't leave the club with long term debt burdens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.#First-team_squad

pool players out on loan: 10

http://thechels.info/wiki/First_team_squad

chelsea players out on loan: 32

ztejas should earn some street cred and build a .xls totaling fees paid to acquire, wages paid by owner while on loan, appearances with loanee, and current transfermarkt value

but even without an actual set of actionable data, it's easy to see that one of these things is not like the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Barcelona hasn't either (along with Madrid) from what I am reading. 

Barcelona said yesterday they wouldn't be in unless it was approved by a vote of their members.  But it is strange that they've gone quiet now that it has fallen apart.

47 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that's tweet order

news that chelsea were out broke on sky before any of the others tweeted

It doesn't matter, but the rumors were that Chelsea was discussing withdrawing and that broke first because a lot of media were already at Stamford Bridge because they had a game and a big protest. Chelsea officially withdrew after the others, there's basically no way that the others weren't discussing it already at the time that the leaks that Chelsea was discussing it happened.

Stupid new failed leagues:

the super league

Stupid old existing competitions:

the nations league

club world cup

carabao cup (or whatever the equivalent is across the continent)

bi-annual gold cup

An increase from 2 to 3 national team games in 6 days during international breaks

Money making “friendlies” halfway across the globe during the season

whatever this shittier version of the Europa league that comes out for 9th placed teams next year  

1 problem sorted, half a dozen to go. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

...The Quilombo League

(I confess I went to the Urban Dictionary for the last three)

"Quilombo" is used in Argentina (and probably Uruguay... and possibly Paraguay?) to describe a "clusterfuck", but I doubt that it is used in Spain, or Italy for that matter, though it would be completely appropriate.

The word's origin comes form escaped slaves in Brazil going to a hiding area... that morphed into a brothel usually of escaped slaves... and eventually made it's way into Argentine castellano (Spanish) meaning what in the USA we would call a "clusterfuck".

But if you look at the word "clusterfuck", it could mean the craziness that arises out of a brothel setting (cluster... fuck), so the comparison might be completely appropriate.

But hey, if you created a Spanish-Italian-Argentine Super League, with would be the perfect Triangle of Disfunction!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

the super league

the nations league

club world cup

bi-annual gold cup

An increase from 2 to 3 national team games in 6 days during international breaks

whatever this shittier version of the Europa league that comes out for 9th placed teams next year  

mls

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

the super league

the nations league

club world cup

bi-annual gold cup

I think they could make Nations League and the shittier version of Europa League work if they get rid of a lot of the rest. One cup is all any nation needs, Club World Cup is pointless, etc. I could be convinced of getting rid of the Nations League but the lower tier international club competitions don't cause certain clubs to play significantly more matches than others. In fact it evens that up a bit.

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ahhh yes, it is going to be amusing to watch the other side now overplay THEIR hand and kickstart the next iteration.  

I’m not sure I agree. The EPL and committees are setup for the benefit of the league and members. You now have 6 members that have demonstrated they only care about the best interests of their clubs or the big 6. 

Plus they acted  in this. They should face some punishment. Stripping them of short term power isn’ta bad move. 

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I feel like Barca has a golden opportunity here to take a big shit on Real and Perez.

That would be nice, but Barca needed the Super League's injection of cash just badly or more than Madrid. Perhaps paying Liverpool for Coutinho to win the Champions League with Bayern isn't the best way to run a business. And that's one of their lesser financial mistakes of the past decade

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona/story/4301666/barcelonas-debt-is-greater-than-1-billion-forget-bringing-back-neymarthey-cant-even-afford-eric-garcia

EDIT: A good breakdown of Barca's debt.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

is that considered a curse word or just coarse language?

Probably “coarse” at this point considering how many different women of all ages I heard say it.

I think that it ventures into “curse” word status when you hear...

“El gobierno de mí Argentina querida es un fucking quilombo, viste?!

Ahh, you are laughing, but you known eeessss true, no?” 🧐

"Quilombo" is used in Argentina (and probably Uruguay... and possibly Paraguay?) to describe a "clusterfuck", but I doubt that it is used in Spain, or Italy for that matter, though it would be completely appropriate.
The word's origin comes form escaped slaves in Brazil going to a hiding area... that morphed into a brothel usually of escaped slaves... and eventually made it's way into Argentine castellano (Spanish) meaning what in the USA we would call a "clusterfuck".
But if you look at the word "clusterfuck", it could mean the craziness that arises out of a brothel setting (cluster... fuck), so the comparison might be completely appropriate.

But hey, if you created a Spanish-Italian-Argentine Super League, with would be the perfect Triangle of Disfunction!

This is all the education y’all need:

Feel free to fix it for non-Tapatalk users

He's not wrong there. Nations League = more matches.  Expanded Club World Cup = more matches. New CL format = more matches. 

Edit: forgot expanded Euros and World Cup, both = more matches (if you advance obv).

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1