2021 European soccer megathread

Jive Turkey

On 4/29/2021 at 9:22 AM, alincoln said:

USMNT manager is a significant step back for a manager of a top European club.  If he succeeds at RBL, his next job should be a big EPL team.

correct - except he will need a successful gig in italy or spain on the way to a big prem side

the english will be very very reluctant culturally to allow an american to gaff a big 6

36 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

correct - except he will need a successful gig in italy or spain on the way to a big prem side

the english will be very very reluctant culturally to allow an american to gaff a big 6

Disagree.  Spurs would probably hire him today

2026 is a ways off, lets see how Jesse does the next couple seasons.   But getting to coach the USMNT in a World Cup hosted in the United States, with our current talent trajectory is gonna be plenty appealing to a lot of coaches.  A once in a lifetime thing for an American coach.

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

Let's just hope we are able to qualify.

the UNITED26 World Cup will be co-hosted with mexico and canada who will each host 10 matches before the quarters

from the first cup in 1930 until the most recent in 2018, the hosts automatically qualified, and until 2002, the prior winners also automatically qualified

in addition, for U26 the field will expand from 32 to 48 teams, making qualification almost guaranteed for every big name

confirmation of automatic host qualification has not been determined

the structure of group play with 48 teams has not been determined; either 16 groups of 3 with staggered play (i hate this idea) or 12 groups of 4 where 8 of the 3rd place sides advance to an additional knockout round of 32, requiring 5 wins in a row after group play (r32 r16 qtrs semis final); the extra round of 32 will add a minimum of 5 days to the tournament and europe is not enchubbened by this idea

i will wager $100 the US, mexico and canada will receive automatic qualification

I know nothing gets dicks hard like the Bundesliga 3, but I do want to just note that my beloved 1860 has clawed its way into sight of Bundesliga 2 with two to go. Remaining matches are against Bayern II and Ingolstadt.

185612335_ScreenShot2021-05-10at1_53_08PM.thumb.png.54ef05da8b6569f195918a77a4556fcb.png

Please Uli Hoeneß, please keep your future superstars on that bench where they belong....please, you dirty sorry bastard!!!

With Rona slowly letting up over here, having 1860 in the 2nd league would just be glorious. So, Surly, extend your hands to ol' Shady Ray and lift ya' spirit. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

U.S. duo Jesse Marsch, Brenden Aaronson lead Salzburg to Austrian league title

FC Salzburg clinched the Austrian Bundesliga title on Wednesday with a 2-0 win over Rapid Wien, giving American manager Jesse Marsch his second straight domestic Double after winning the Austrian Cup earlier this month.

Marsch, 47, is set to take over German Bundesliga side RB Leipzig next season after Julien Nagelsmann announced he'd become the Bayern Munich manager.

Salzburg's triumph comes with two matches left in the Austrian Bundesliga's play-off round. Patson Daka scored a brace in the win to secure the championship.

United States international Brenden Aaronson, who was acquired on a transfer from Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union, played 90 minutes before being subbed off in stoppage time. He has played 18 league games and scored five goals since joining Salzburg in January.

"As you can tell, it's awesome. I mean it was a tough game, they came out and played well. Super happy and proud of the team. We got the goal and then we went from there. I think we played well," Aaronson said after Wednesday's win.

After winning four trophies at Salzburg, Marsch will now return to Leipzig, where he was assistant manager at during the 2018-19 campaign under Ralf Rangnick. Marsch began his coaching career in 2010 with an assistant role with the USMNT before taking charge of Major League Soccer outfit Montreal Impact the following year. His playing career spanned from 1996 to 2009 with three MLS clubs -- D.C. United, Chicago Fire FC, and Chivas USA -- and he had two international caps.

In 2015, he became the New York Red Bulls coach and guided them to the MLS Supporters' Shield and picked up the MLS Coach of the Year award that same year.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-salzburg/story/4383841/us-duo-jesse-marschbrenden-aaronson-lead-salzburg-to-austrian-league-title

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Venezia just lost in stoppage time.  Busio played all 96 minutes (and played well).  Venezia played with 10 men for the last 30 minutes.  couldn't keep the draw.  Venezia is in 16th place.  would love to see them stay up.  either way, Busio could be moving on to a better club.  he's a bad ass.

10 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Speaking of Venezia, they beat Mourinho's Roma team today.  In Venice.  I've actually seen a game in this stadium, back in 1997ish.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59198224

_121468658_gettyimages-1236412273.jpg

I don’t understand how Mourinho has found work since about 2016.

He requires massive salaried older players to play negative football/fútbol/calcio to finish in the 4th-7th spots.

He is basically a club killer.

I wrote the above BEFORE reading the game report. Usually he waits until Christmas before poisoning every facet of a club. ESPN FC’s Game Report:

”Jose Mourinho's side have one win in their last seven games in all competitions and have dropped out of the top four after picking up four points from their last five league games.”

image.thumb.jpeg.5d019431602d04a38dffc9975bf3e049.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=614812

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/31/2021 at 10:59 AM, Jive Turkey said:

Venezia’s kits today were sick. I need to get on the waitlist and get one. 

On 10/31/2021 at 11:39 AM, Captain Ron said:

Their 2nd kit wasn’t back ordered last I looked, only the 3rd (the blue one). 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:01 PM, Captain Ron said:

Now the 1st (black) and forth (red) are back ordered and the 2nd and 3rd are available. 

Which kit would you get?

I probably rank them:
1) Red
2) Blue
3) Away (White)
4) Home (Black-ish)

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 10.59.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 10.59.21 AM.png

https://shop.veneziafc.it

Edited by Napoleon