2021 European soccer megathread

Jive Turkey

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

running list of items from bbc;

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/56797739

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel, whose side are in the semi-finals of the Champions League and one of the six English teams set to play in the European Super League, has been speaking to the media today.

He said: "If I had a clear opinion I wouldn't mention it, but it's too early to judge it and there are way too many opinions out there.

It's too early to be concerned about that Hitler guy annexing the Sudetenland. Let's wait and see how it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I just don't think there is a quick salve that is going to kill the Super League.  There are already a bunch of exceptions to the German 50 + 1 rule that allow some owners to maintain voting control (RBL for one).  The Super 12 have already invested millions into this plan and have engaged the best law firms and financial advisors in the world to execute its implementation.  

25 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the counter-argument, that the 50+1 german model = 10 barn titles in a row, ergo the franchise model delivers parity like in the nfl.......

La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 are no different.  Juve has won 9 straight Serie A titles, there has only been 1 La Liga winner outside of the Barca/Madrid duopoly since 2004 and PSG has won 7 of the last 8 Ligue 1 titles. 

31 of the last 32 league titles in the Big 5 leagues outside of England have been won by 5 teams (PSG, Bayern, Juve, Madrid/Barca) and 39 of the last 40 CL finalists have come from the Super 12/Bayern.  It's already a de facto closed system when it comes to the important trophies.   

As for the EPL, it has been won once since 1995 by a team outside the Big 6. 

Edited by alincoln

18 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

No.   Just dont want to be part of the UEFA Champions League.    They'd still play in the EPL, if allowed to,

So, they go off our in their own little league that they are guaranteed to be in every year. And if we apply that to this year domestic table , what would be the scenario?

01) the CL gets 4 other teams from the PL in their tournament? Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds?

02) the CL dissolves and PL season is just a winner take all and no other position in the table matters for the other 19 clubs?

help me understand how it would play out

The CL would basically become a glorified Europa League that will presumably include the highest placed non-Super League clubs.  The initial Super League plans provide for play-in opportunities for non-permanent members but that doesn't seem workable in practice.

It seems like going after the clubs would be more effective than going after the players who had no say in this.  If they are going to try to ice the players out, they have to give them an out.  Can FIFA/UEFA unilaterally declare that players can leave the SL clubs on free transfers?  I'm sure that would get tied up in court.  Obviously a very fluid situation, I'm just thinking out loud.

If you lock the SL clubs out of domestic cups and leagues, I don't see how they can make up the revenue by playing the same 11 other teams over and over all season.

Edited by WBT

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Egypt's going to love Salah not being available for the World Cup. No Messi for Argentina. No Ronaldo for Portugal. England will have even less of a chance. Germany wins again. 

don't think UEFA would have a say on whether an Egyptian player can play for the World Cup.

in fact, I think once all the legal machinations are done, I don't think UEFA or FIFA are going to have much of a say about whether a player in this league can play in the World Cup or not.

6 minutes ago, naija said:

don't think UEFA would have a say on whether an Egyptian player can play for the World Cup.

in fact, I think once all the legal machinations are done, I don't think UEFA or FIFA are going to have much of a say about whether a player in this league can play in the World Cup or not.

Exactly.  Also, how are they going to ban players for playing in a league that hasn't started playing yet (begins play in 2023-2024)?  In any event, the Super League can probably pay off FIFA to address the World Cup issue which leaves UEFA holding only the Euro card.

Following Dowden's comments in Parliament, shadow culture secretary Jo Stevens called this "a watershed moment for our national game".

She said: "Football governance is broken, football finance is broken and football fans, whichever club we support, are ignored.

"The hedge-fund owners and billionaires who treat football clubs like any other of their commodities have no care for history of our football, for the role it plays in villages, towns and cities up and down our country and especially for the fans who are the beating heart of it.

"They should understand their role as custodians rather than cartel chiefs. The future of our national game and all our clubs depend on it."

Just now, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

So UEFA is saying that SuperLeague teams are banned from CL starting this season. 
PSG wins?  Maybe this was all a Qatari 8D chess move.

Also, that much money in getting this together and you come up with Super League.  Who were the ad wizards that came up with that stupid fucking name?

My guess is UEFA reinstates teams that weren't part of the 12 to meet TV obligations. It'll be weird but we're in uncharted waters.

7 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The President of PSG declined the opportunity to become the new President of the ECA.  Wonder why?

easy to guess. they are just letting others test the waters. if it holds serve, Bayern and PSG will be there

everton have 500m lined up to build a replacement for goodison.  oops!

the equivalent over here would be thieves leaving behind okielite.

i wonder if aggy thinks they can get a rescue package from bama to come along.

sec: alabama, georgia, florida, lsu

b1g: michigan, ohio state

acc: clemson, domer

b12: texas, thieves

pac: usc

that's 11 right there, home and away 20-game season?

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

Congrats PSG on your first ever Champions League title!

Christ. what a disaster. For Man City to sign up for that... being so close to what they've wanted forever.... imagine the stunning greed it must take

Just now, naija said:

Christ. what a disaster. For Man City to sign up for that... being so close to what they've wanted forever.... imagine the stunning greed it must take

My thought is that Man City would be the only one to flinch. Maybe Chelsea.

The shitheels at Man U are leading the charge so they are gone regardless.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

So UEFA bans all those teams from CL, awards PSG the title???  Assuming PSG accepts then when they go and join the Super League how stupid does UEFA look.  I'm not a big fan of this but FIFA and UEFA can get fucked so watching them squirm is mildly amusing.  

I think getting Porto, Bayern and Dortmund back in makes more sense than awarding PSG the title

I don't think the American owners of the clubs have an idea of the depth and level of supporter involvement/attachment to football clubs.  They aren't "fans" like Americans are fans of NFL teams.  Liverpool supporters... am I remembering correctly that the Liverpool supporters trusts had a hand in forcing Hicks and Gillette to sell?  If supporter resistance is fierce enough in enough quarters around Europe, is there any possibility they can slow or halt this? Or am I just high and Arsenal has a better chance of winning the treble next year with a flying pig at creative midfielder.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I don't think the American owners of the clubs have an idea of the depth and level of supporter involvement/attachment to football clubs.  They aren't "fans" like Americans are fans of NFL teams.  Liverpool supporters... am I remembering correctly that the Liverpool supporters trusts had a hand in forcing Hicks and Gillette to sell?  If supporter resistance is fierce enough in enough quarters around Europe, is there any possibility they can slow or halt this? Or am I high and Arsenal has a better chance of winning the treble next year with a flying pig at creative midfielder.

Hicks got taken to the UK Court. Like with all of his franchises, he was overleveraged and was wanting to use construction of a new Liverpool stadium to help his revenue stream. FSG won a lot of fans by the hiring of Klopp and the 2 championships but that's been instantly erased. The Super League doesn't help the average working class Liverpool supporter one bit other than you can see Real Madrid come through your city twice a year. Meanwhile, all the tradition you grew up on, the Domestic Cup wins, the rivalry with Everton, that's all gone. And all to line FSG's pocket. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

Fascinating, I think if tonight it was announced that at the end of the current TV contracts the following league was being formed with 24 members, 3 conferences and a 6 team playoff where first and second in each conference made the playoffs or whatever (point isn't really the playoff structure):

Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Clemson, Florida State, UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame 

Most fans (not all) here would think "yea fuck the NCAA, fuck the jag ass Big 12,  let's go..... time to dump the coat tail riders and get it on"

The opposite passionate response from most English and European football fans shows how different those things have grown and matured vs here.  

-note this is also not a post to argue about the teams I included, let's just say I quickly pulled a mental list of long standing winning college football programs that tend to have large fanbases and make bank.

Edited by Surly Bevo