Say something good about the Trump presidency. I’m serious.

I expect super sarcasm, but I am interested to see if people see any positives. 

Me: he doesn’t seem to be as much interventionist/War hawky as our last many many presidents and how I expect Hillary would be.  We will see how Bolton influences.  If we look back at the end of his term and see we aren’t marching on every country that gives us the stink eye, that’ll be something. 

I would hope/think that congress will put some measures out that require future candidates to fully disclose their value, assets, liabilities, etc. and divest from all owned businesses in the future. Or actually enforce emoluments.

• Like 1

I'll give this a real shot. Although I don't agree with the way he's gone about either, he has some legitimate points regarding regulation and immigration. I'm not sure if he really followed through on that whole "for every new regulation two existing ones have to be eliminated" thing. In general, we should be looking to make the regulatory framework easier to understand and to comply with. Constantly adding new regulations makes it very difficult for smaller companies to comply. It's just too complicated, even if companies are trying to do things the right way.

One immigration, I'm not so sure that some merit based system isn't a decent way to do things, at least for a portion of our immigration. Also, some pause on allowing immigrants from some of these hotspots isn't a bad idea. Now, he once again didn't go about it the right way, and he comes across as racist, but there is some common sense it really taking a harder look at who we allow into the country.

8 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I'll give this a real shot. Although I don't agree with the way he's gone about either, he has some legitimate points regarding regulation and immigration. I'm not sure if he really followed through on that whole "for every new regulation two existing ones have to be eliminated" thing. In general, we should be looking to make the regulatory framework easier to understand and to comply with. Constantly adding new regulations makes it very difficult for smaller companies to comply. It's just too complicated, even if companies are trying to do things the right way.

One immigration, I'm not so sure that some merit based system isn't a decent way to do things, at least for a portion of our immigration. Also, some pause on allowing immigrants from some of these hotspots isn't a bad idea. Now, he once again didn't go about it the right way, and he comes across as racist, but there is some common sense it really taking a harder look at who we allow into the country.

Besides all the noise and bullshit, this is my single biggest concern about Trump and the path he is setting us on. We aren't heading down a permanent red path, because Trump is a clownshow and the only thing left of his policies will be burning embers and blowing trash by the time this sideshow is over.

My concern is the swinging of the pendulum back into the other direction, as a direct reaction to the 4 years of Trump.

Regulation and immigration are two areas in which it is absolutely insane we can't come up with better, intellectually honest, and bipartisan solutions for consideration. With his ridiculous notion that compromise = weakness, Trump took idiotic extreme stands on both subjects, has eliminated all worthwhile discourse, and has the "other side" in their bunkers ready for full on warfare. Which means when Trump is out of here, there aren't going to be better, intellectually honest, and bipartisan solutions coming from the other side either.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It has made clear who actually cares about improving the country and who just wants their "team" to win.

What makes you think ordinary Trump voters (middle/upper-middle class white people) don't see his administration's actions as improving the country?  They got their tax cut, no?

Edited by Fozzz

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

What makes you think ordinary Trump voters (middle/upper-middle class white people) don't see his administration's actions as improving the country?  They got their tax cut, no?

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is that, as "Hate" so generously demonstrated, it has never been easier to distinguish people who genuinely agree/disagree with the policy choices of the President with those who simply want to fuck over the other side.  And I think that's a good thing.  

The North Korea situation is going about as well as you could hope. I don't think Trump has a ton to do with that, but his whole "madman theory" approach to Kim Jong Un might have influenced him to come to the table. Trump then flatters him and shit when he makes decisions that are favorable to us, which might be working too. 

1 minute ago, Grandioso said:

The North Korea situation is going about as well as you could hope. I don't think Trump has a ton to do with that, but his whole "madman theory" approach to Kim Jong Un might have influenced him to come to the table. Trump then flatters him and shit when he makes decisions that are favorable to us, which might be working too. 

Other than that Un made the U.S. President look like a mealy mouthed dope. "Fire and fury," huh? Un called his bluff and gave him an atomic wedgie on the world stage. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It has made clear who actually cares about improving the country and who just wants their "team" to win.

actually, if republican partisans wanted their team to win, they would all act and post a lot more like chitowndoc and longhornmatt and brisketexan.

it's not about their team winning. it's about the other team losing. see the hillary won't be president thread. there is so much joy in her loss that they can overlook the collosal goat fuck in the oval office. it's the most aggy thing i may have ever seen in politics.

and, one nice thing: um, i guess mattis? staboner would say no nukes today.

Edited by hayden_horn

Like many, my IRA is up big time and I benefited from the tax breaks. However I get that my benefit comes at the expense of many others and I understand it's not all about me. Many are saying that they're better off so that means he's great, and it's pretty much to hell with everyone else.  I appreciate what his policies have done for me, but I don't agree with them.  

It's possible he is the vaccination shot that will immunize the country against something worse.  A vaccine is a little chunk of the disease, that is mostly ineffective and dying, but it allows the system to build defenses against it. Once a more effective version of the disease comes along, the system is able to adequately defend against it.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It's possible he is the vaccination shot that will immunize the country against something worse.  A vaccine is a little chunk of the disease, that is mostly ineffective and dying, but it allows the system to build defenses against it. Once a more effective version of the disease comes along, the system is able to adequately defend against it.   

It is.  Of course, sometimes the chemo kills you.

Right now, we're bald, unable to keep down food, and shitting blood.  We'll see how that works out for us in the long run.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is that, as "Hate" so generously demonstrated, it has never been easier to distinguish people who genuinely agree/disagree with the policy choices of the President with those who simply want to fuck over the other side.  And I think that's a good thing.  

I didn't want another 4-8 years of the Obama presidency and I didn't want Hilary to be president.  The fact that some of your heads might explode sometime in the next 2-6 years is icing on the cake.  I absolutely would rather have just about anyone other than Donald Trump in the White House, but I also would 100% would rather have anyone other than Hilary.  

20 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Hmmm, interesting take, I really hope your're correct.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It is.  Of course, sometimes the chemo kills you.

Right now, we're bald, unable to keep down food, and shitting blood.  We'll see how that works out for us in the long run.

No, we're not.  In terms of actual, day to day, implications for our lives, not much has changed for the vast majority of us.  Certainly Trump is profoundly stupid and has revealed (or demonstrated) a definite weakness in our national personality.  That weakness could have dire consequences moving forward, but the "right now" is not much different than the two years ago.  Hopefully we learn and grow. 

• Like 3