Boeing 737-500 down in Indonesia

InkaUtexas

2021 already sucks. 

A Boeing 737 passenger plane carrying 62 people is believed to have crashed into the sea shortly after take-off from Indonesia's capital Jakarta.
The Sriwijaya Air plane lost contact four minutes into its journey to Pontianak in West Kalimantan province.
Flight tracking website Flightradar24.com said the aircraft lost more than 3,000m (10,000ft) in altitude in less than a minute.
Witnesses said they had seen and heard at least one explosion.
Fisherman Solihin, who goes by one name, told the BBC Indonesian service he had witnessed a crash and his captain decided to return to land.
"The plane fell like lightning into the sea and exploded in the water," he said.
"It was pretty close to us, the shards of a kind of plywood almost hit my ship."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55601909

Right wrong or indifferent (meaning whether it’s the planes fault or not); this is going to tank Boeing who literally just got over the 2018/19 issues. I mean literally the ink isn’t dry for 48 hours on the $2.5bn in fines they paid for lack of transparency with the FAA. My opinion at least.

edit to add it’s not the 737 Max, so, who knows.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Right wrong or indifferent (meaning whether it’s the planes fault or not); this is going to tank Boeing who literally just got over the 2018/19 issues. I mean literally the ink isn’t dry for 48 hours on the $2.5bn in fines they paid for lack of transparency with the FAA. My opinion at least.

edit to add it’s not the 737 Max, so, who knows.

It's a 26 year old plane taking off in a storm. Boeing may yet survive this. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

"The plane fell like lightning into the sea and exploded in the water," he said.
"It was pretty close to us, the shards of a kind of plywood almost hit my ship."

If they were making 737s out of plywood then that lack of FAA oversight was worse than I thought. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Based on a chart of basic flight data, looks like it stalled and then plummeted into the sea.

2560px-Sriwijaya_Air_Flight_182_Speed_an

What's the normal climb rate after takeoff for a 737-500? This one seems like it was doing ~3000 ft/min ... until it wasn't.

If that's from Flightaware, I'm not sure what the source of the data they have is. Does it come from the aircraft transponder or are those readings from a ground station?

And, I don't know the precision or resolution of that data, but it seems to show that the altitude starts to plummet ever so slightly *before* the change in speed. Which would seem to not suggest a traditional "pitch up" kind of stall. Also, I think that the speed data shown is probably groundspeed instead of airspeed. In a steep dive or spin, the groundspeed would drop just because most of the speed is now in the vertical plane. The airspeed would be crazy high after a dive like that.

I gotta think it was something rapid and catastrophic, like a bomb, structural failure, or suicidal pilot. Or a really terrible flight control malfunction (rudder reversal, thrust reverser opening, etc.)

Edited by Paper_jam

1 minute ago, Paper_jam said:

If that's from Flightaware, I'm not sure what the source of the data they have is. Does it come from the aircraft transponder or are those readings from a ground station?

I'm not sure of the precision or resolution of that data, but it seems to show that the altitude starts to plummet ever so slightly [b]before[/b] the change in speed. Which would seem to not suggest a traditional "pitch up" kind of stall. Also, I think that the speed data shown is probably groundspeed instead of airspeed. In a steep dive or spin, the groundspeed would drop just because most of the speed is now in the vertical plane. The airspeed would be crazy high after a dive like that.

I gotta think it was something rapid and catastrophic, like a bomb, structural failure, or suicidal pilot. Or a really terrible flight control malfunction (rudder reversal, thrust reverser opening, etc.)

Noticed the same (descent began prior to speed increase) and am unsure. Wikipedia is the source of the chart I shared. Upon closer inspection (Flightradar24 graphic that was apparently sourced for the Wiki graphic), looks like the 358 kts was the ground speed.

If the data is accurate, it's strange to me that speed and altitude were both decreasing for several seconds. Also, the aircraft took a sharp right at the end.

SJ182_9_JAN_2021_Flight_Path_with_Graph.

I'm just a layman and not a pilot or flight enthusiast, so virtually anyone else's speculation is bound to be more knowledgeable than mine.

This video from an aviation expert has some interesting discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt_nUdQQqxI

Based on this video, the flight begins turning left, away from it's assigned heading, just before the dive. You can see this on the flight track, as it curves to the north and northwest (was supposed to be on a steady ENE course). 

Everyone says not to speculate about aviation accidents (but I love to speculate!)

This made me laugh at the end of an article. 

One of the more unusual air accidents in Indonesia happened in 2013 when a passenger jet crashed into a cow and skidded off the runway as it came into land at a small airport on Sulawesi island.

The only casualty was the cow, crushed to death under the Lion Air plane's wheels.

8 hours ago, AggieFactFinder said:

when I die in a plane crash, would y'all indulge me and let the captain unknowingly fly us into the side of a mountain?  The last minute or two of this flight had to be the worst of nightmares.

Most of them had probably already had a heart attack before they that the water.  So at least there’s that.